ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2024 - Spring/Summer

Imma have to retract my statement….we did lose a game in ‘78 even though we won the state championship…same goes for ‘71 as well.

Heck…when is the last time Maiden, if ever, went undefeated in a season?

I’m sure Grizz knows.
Never had a full undefeated season

9 times had an undefeated regular season:
66, 69, 79, 90, 92, 04, 17, 20, 21

So can someone tell me why St Stephens doesn’t do as well bc I do believe they have the support , the right coach currently to do well but seem Jimmy n joes ain’t there

So can someone tell me why St Stephens doesn’t do as well bc I do believe they have the support , the right coach currently to do well but seem Jimmy n joes ain’t there
When you have a history of underperforming while your neighbor has a history of high performance AKA hickory it's hard to keep kids with talent from running to that school. Also demographics play a big part. St Stephen's has a higher population of kids that probably don't play football or brought up with it. But a big part of it is if you're a star football player and your 10 minutes away from a good football school compared to the school that's a perennial underperformer or are you going to do as that kid ??

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
When you have a history of underperforming while your neighbor has a history of high performance AKA hickory it's hard to keep kids with talent from running to that school. Also demographics play a big part. St Stephen's has a higher population of kids that probably don't play football or brought up with it. But a big part of it is if you're a star football player and your 10 minutes away from a good football school compared to the school that's a perennial underperformer or are you going to do as that kid ??
I mean I get it but I see the kids at that school that are in the stands and all and They seem to have "Some" Talent not playing that are in the halls

They have a great HC imo currently n I know he done a lot but U would think they would be better then they have and don't get me wrong I'm sure some do go to Hickory n all but I am sure the district lines may not help but I think SSHS should be better

Check the roster at HHS and name any player from Springs Rd the last number of years. HHS has lost kids to St. to wrestle and play baseball as well. Those kids like to show out in middle school and whine in high school. They can't stand the rigors of practice and the agony of defeat. Lacrosse has taken many good football players as well.

Reactions: Lincolnton
Check the roster at HHS and name any player from Springs Rd the last number of years. HHS has lost kids to St. to wrestle and play baseball as well. Those kids like to show out in middle school and whine in high school. They can't stand the rigors of practice and the agony of defeat. Lacrosse has taken many good football players as well.
I'm not saying the R word lol. Just saying choices. And like I said demographics make a big difference.

• Haha
If anything y'all got talent wasting on y'all roster this year

Right now, I'm guessing that if a player wanted to transfer to Hickory and play for the Tornadoes he would really have to have something to offer, in the way of skill and/or athletic ability. They probably already have enough. How nice it would be to head into the football season with what they've got. Makes me want to howl at the moon.

Right now, I'm guessing that if a player wanted to transfer to Hickory and play for the Tornadoes he would really have to have something to offer, in the way of skill and/or athletic ability. They probably already have enough. How nice it would be to head into the football season with what they've got. Makes me want to howl at the moon.

yes, if you transfer and sit on the bench that don't help the kid. some parents think their kid would be better off going to a winning team till they find out they are not as good as they thought!!

[QUOTE="BlueDevil1996, post: 901936, member: 16653
I think SSHS should be better
[/QUOTE]
☝️You couldn’t say this on a baseball forum or a wrestling forum or an “all girls sports” forum.

Prolly could say it for other Catawba county schools though ….but not St. Stephens.

Since this is a football forum…..I looked at their football schedules for the last 20 years…and I’m sure the schedule has been this way from the beginning of their school. Good grief!….take a look for yourself…it’s brutal. They always play Maiden, Bandys, Bunker Hill…and they’re currently residing in the conference of State Champions, they use to be in the Northwestern 3a-4a with Watauga, South Caldwell, Alexander Central just to name a few. I saw Hibriten and Freedom too…in the last 20 years.

I struggled with it….trying to figure out who they were suppose to beat in football…all of ‘em?…most of ‘em?…

I’ve got to tip my cap to St. Stephens on how dominant they have been on those other forums so to speak!…against that competition. Wow!

How do they do that?…is really the question.

I’ve mentioned Newton Conover’s new Coach Wilson.

Sooo…I thought I would mention West Caldwell’s too.

Coach Pyland….he’ll have athletes as well and as we all know West Caldwell was the biggest team in our conference last year. I know nothing about him but I’m wishing him the best and I am very anxious to see what West Caldwell is gonna look like this fall. 😉

I’ve mentioned Newton Conover’s new Coach Wilson.

Sooo…I thought I would mention West Caldwell’s too.

Coach Pyland….he’ll have athletes as well and as we all know West Caldwell was the biggest team in our conference last year. I know nothing about him but I’m wishing him the best and I am very anxious to see what West Caldwell is gonna look like this fall. 😉
I met him briefly at a clinic. Big fella from Texas...I'm betting he adds some hard-nosed Texas swag to that team...they won't be 0-10 this year.

yes, if you transfer and sit on the bench that don't help the kid. some parents think their kid would be better off going to a winning team till they find out they are not as good as they thought!!
Think you're right 2022. I kinda feel for parents, though, that want so badly for their children to do well and it doesn't turn out for them, but I suppose it proves your point that it's sometimes best to stay where you are.
If I'm correct, Hickory's backup QB, last year, would have started for a bunch of 4A schools.Not sure if he is there again this year or if he graduated.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Think you're right 2022. I kinda feel for parents, though, that want so badly for their children to do well and it doesn't turn out for them, but I suppose it proves your point that it's sometimes best to stay where you are.
If I'm correct, Hickory's backup QB, last year, would have started for a bunch of 4A schools.Not sure if he is there again this year or if he graduated.
That's the wasted talent lol. JV QB Maddox is very talented and a rising JR and will sit behind Stover this year as the returning QB. Among other players. But I was told Maddox won't leave hickory 🤷🏼‍♂️.

That's the wasted talent lol. JV QB Maddox is very talented and a rising JR and will sit behind Stover this year as the returning QB. Among other players. But I was told Maddox won't leave hickory 🤷🏼‍♂️.
Thanks AMD, but I was thinking like there was another backup QB at Hickory last year.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Thanks AMD, but I was thinking like there was another backup QB at Hickory last year.
Lincolnton last year's back up QB was Turner Wood. He lost the starting job when Stober moved up from JV 2 years ago. As a sophomore Wood establsihed new HHS records for season yardage and season TD passes. When he learned he wouldn't be the starting QB his junior year he worked and became a quality LB for his final two seasons and was one of the main leaders on the state championship team. Maddox Mcree is a rising junior that will back up Brady Stober this year as well as handle the punting duties. He is a quality 3 sport athlete and will do just fine with his opportunities at HHS.
By the way, Wood will be getting the opportunity to play football at Hampton-Sydney College this fall. Joe Glass does not waste talent.

Last edited:
He was perfect for their offense.
Looking back…I’ll have to say that Central Davidson had a great win over Eastern Guilford in the 1st round last year. 20 seed over a 13. Impressive!
Pretty sure I missed that one on the pick ‘ems. EG finished 2nd to Dudley in their conference last year…judging by the scores EG just woodshedded the rest of conference.

That really was a great win. Tip of the cap to the Coach and those Spartans. 😉

Imma peruse the internet for restaurants in Davidson county now.😂

Good stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
Looking back…I’ll have to say that Central Davidson had a great win over Eastern Guilford in the 1st round last year. 20 seed over a 13. Impressive!
Pretty sure I missed that one on the pick ‘ems. EG finished 2nd to Dudley in their conference last year…judging by the scores EG just woodshedded the rest of conference.

That really was a great win. Tip of the cap to the Coach and those Spartans. 😉

Imma peruse the internet for restaurants in Davidson county now.😂

Good stuff.
As it gets closer, we can discuss eating places, BBQ of course.

Pic from my last flagpole race at hickory. 🤣Takes 2 balls to play this game 🤣🤣
There’s more to this than meets the eye. When he flipped the car it scrambled his brains. He was babbling and saying stuff completely out of character for his usual self, such as: “The wise man uses wisdom to understand reality and then applies It to daily life”; “He must have the courage of his own convictions”; “We mustn’t allow desires to control our lives”; “The just person has a healthy soul”.

The fellers were awfully worried and said he must have bounced around like a pinball… Eventually, they took him uptown and put his head in a paint shaker, and what do you know, he started insulting the other drivers so with a sigh of relief they knew he was back the way he was.

Hey Lincolnton guys has South lake Christian picked y'all's pockets yet ??
Hmm, AMD, Southlake Christian was winless last season. I don't know Coach Farley personally, I'm a lot older than he is, but everyone seems to like him. He sure could play ball.
This would be a great opportunity for you, and he could use some help. In time, they will improve and you could be part of it.
Maiden is a winning program so rather than taking the easy way and helping a winning program why not take the harder route.
"Those who go out of their way to seek challenge and hardship tap into something special." 👈Those aren't my word, they belong to another culo de caballo, but I kinda believe it.

Hmm, AMD, Southlake Christian was winless last season. I don't know Coach Farley personally, I'm a lot older than he is, but everyone seems to like him. He sure could play ball.
This would be a great opportunity for you, and he could use some help. In time, they will improve and you could be part of it.
Maiden is a winning program so rather than taking the easy way and helping a winning program why not take the harder route.
"Those who go out of their way to seek challenge and hardship tap into something special." 👈Those aren't my word, they belong to another culo de caballo, but I kinda believe it.
Still doesn't dispute that independents voted to allow NIL payments to athletes and all of sudden they are grabbing up good players, including Salisbury RB going to Charlotte Christian. The leading RB in whole state of NC. Unfortunately we are witnessing the infant stages of the collapse of high school sports. The last place I could argue the pureness of sports, where kids played for the love of the game and not money.

Still doesn't dispute that independents voted to allow NIL payments to athletes and all of sudden they are grabbing up good players, including Salisbury RB going to Charlotte Christian. The leading RB in whole state of NC. Unfortunately we are witnessing the infant stages of the collapse of high school sports. The last place I could argue the pureness of sports, where kids played for the love of the game and not money.
You may be right but if that's so, couldn't it leave public high schools with those who would play for the love of the game?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT