ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2023 - Round 1

We also had 4 games where our starters didn’t play the second half . We could of easily stat padded but didn’t
True. We can play What If games all day. A player of his caliber could get hurt in one of those four games. Also one could look at besides head to head, strength of schedules of teams played and not played.

Several years ago North Gaston had a really good team after years of receiving beat downs after beat downs from other teams. People felt they ran up the score on them and people did not forget and once those players graduated, it was hell to pay for the Wildcats. Just enjoy the dang ride. You don't know how long it will last.

Willis screwed out of player of the year shits unreal
What do you mean he got screwed out of it? Did something happen besides him just not winning the vote? I’d personally vote for Andre Bost. He leads the state (2A only) in total yardage. And the Wolves would not be very good right now without him.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Bandys at Monroe: The Trojans have a mountain to climb just to stay in the game. If they could somehow pull the upset it would be not only historic for the school but for this area. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening. Monroe by 20.

East Rutherford at Bunker Hill: The Cavaliers did beat Chase and seem to have found some fire here at the end of the season scoring a bunch in their win over Polk County. Kind of have some sentiments for East Rutherford from the old days when they were a powerful member of the Southwest Conference in the WNCHSAA and their key players, Lewis Jolley, Gary Dotson and Jimmie Rogers. I also like their Coach Russ who is out of Burns and pitched for Cherryville Post 100, and I like his Daddy, too.
But this ain't about sentiments, though, is it ? Bunker Hill may be capable of playing with any 2A team in the state. The Cavs will not be a match for them. Like many of us fans in the CVAC, we've seen them play and know what they can do. The Bears by 20.

Chase at West Lincoln: The Trojans have a win over Mountain Heritage and played Brevard close, but West Lincoln will wear them down with their physicality (Yeah, that's a good word for it). WL by 14.

East Gaston at Maiden: EG is one of my personal favorite teams of all-times. The Blue Devils now have one of my favorite coaches, meaning I'll have mixed feelings (The word for it is ambivalence, AMD) about the outcome... Flyrod didn't pick a game of the week, but if he would have, this one, I believe, would qualify. Unlike us, the Blue Devils seem to get an extra boost from playing at home so I give them the nod in this one. If it were being played at the Arrowhead I'd probably have picked EG. Maiden by 1.

Lincolnton at North Surry: Frankly, I'm a little worried about this one. Their offensive line concerns me since our defensive line can sometimes be our Achilles Heel, but you wouldn't have known it last week. They have a flanker named Simmons, that can carry the groceries and a receiver named Simmons (Both are Simmons), who their very sharp quarterback McKnight likes to throw long to. We have our hands full but strangely enough, The Wolves can sometimes play better away than at home. Lincolnton by 1.

Postscript: I guess Newton-Conover didn't make it. The Blue Devils must have been this season's final nail...To the others that didn't make the playoffs, hope you'll keep your heads up and much respect for you. I know how it feels. It's like everybody's going to the movies and you're not being allowed to go with them. We'll do it again next year.

Side Note: My picks are in bold

Side Note
: This is a question for anyone who cares to or has time to answer it, or anyone outside the CVAC that might notice it. I should know the answer to it and I'm thinking like I might have known this at one time, but I don't anymore.

The question is, during high school games, does an official operate or oversee the operation of the time clock (That appears on the scoreboard), and if not does an official on the field keep the official time on the field. If the answer to both of these are no then is the clock operated by local staff ?

The reason I ask this, at a recent game (It was not in Lincolnton) there was just a short amount of time left and so often I would look towards the scoreboard to see how much time was remaining, and repeatedly It looked to me like the clock was not running when based on my knowledge it should have been running, and I confess that my knowledge of when the clock should and should not be running is very, very casual, meaning I've never read up on it and I could surely be mistaken.

Something else, I talk about old age on here to the point of boredom, probably because I am old and in some strange cerebral way it is how I deal with it. One of the hardest things for me to accept is that my faculties aren't what they used to be and abilities I once had a lot of confidence in such as time, distance, periphery and overall perception, are just not as good as they once were but outside of obvious mix-up or malfunction or a maybe a single isolated time or two when the clock didn't start it never was so obvious as this time, but I confess this, too, I was wanting the clock to run to benefit my team. Thanks for any answer.

Found this in the handbook:

Selection of Officials
(1) For the first two rounds of the state playoffs, officials are to be assigned by the regional supervisor of the higher seeded team.
(2) The NCHSAA Director of Officiating Services will assign a regional supervisor to assign crews to games in the quarterfinals and NCHSAA regionals.
(3) Clock operators may be assigned starting with the second round, but this is strictly optional for schools. Clock Operators are the responsibility of the host school for playoffs; however, use of a Clock Operator is not an allowable game expense.
(4) The NCHSAA Director of Officiating Services will assign crews to all state championship games. A seven-man crew will be used in the championship games.

AAW, the thought of it troubles me because that could have costed us the game, and we deserved to win, our guys played their hearts out, and no one knows this any better than you. I wonder just how deep in our territory they would have gotten before having to attempt a field goal or go for the score on fourth down before the clock expired. Think I've jumped to the conclusion it might have been deliberate. I don't mean to sound self-righteous by saying this but nobody could make me believe anyone from our press box team would even consider pulling that. I think it's time for me to let it go and look to the next game. Thanks for saying something. I was hoping you would, and thanks for letting me blow off a little steam.
By my calculations, they'd have gotten to their own 36 yard line. Not saying they'd have missed the kick, but that's pretty stout for a high schooler

I never said that that’s for sure. I asked how the game went or why nobody from Draughn was saying anything bout it cause Draughn posts have been few and far between this year. My question came out wrong and didn’t look right but I never heard much of anything bout the game or read the paper
no it was awful quiet! They lose all the offence. Better win this year!!

The Monroe Redhawks will hunt down the Trojans Friday night the question is how bad will they play with their pray before ending it.
Bunker Hill over east Rutherford. But expect east to be physical and try to player powerball. Maybe they will hit the lucky numbers but doubtful.
West Lincoln but could feel an upset coming. Chase isn't as good as last year but stayed relevant but west is physical and disciplined and squeezes it out.
Maiden welcomes the warriors to hell and get the burning victory. But not going to lie it all comes down the which maiden/Stover team shows up 2nd half maiden against Newton is what maiden can be. But just as much the can be sloppy and bad. Now east gaston is 8-2 with both loses coming from Shelby and burns. Honestly no shame in losing to those 2 teams. But then u look at their 8 wins and none of those teams had a winning record so really hard to judge this team.

The Monroe Redhawks will hunt down the Trojans Friday night the question is how bad will they play with their pray before ending it.
Bunker Hill over east Rutherford. But expect east to be physical and try to player powerball. Maybe they will hit the lucky numbers but doubtful.
West Lincoln but could feel an upset coming. Chase isn't as good as last year but stayed relevant but west is physical and disciplined and squeezes it out.
Maiden welcomes the warriors to hell and get the burning victory. But not going to lie it all comes down the which maiden/Stover team shows up 2nd half maiden against Newton is what maiden can be. But just as much the can be sloppy and bad. Now east gaston is 8-2 with both loses coming from Shelby and burns. Honestly no shame in losing to those 2 teams. But then u look at their 8 wins and none of those teams had a winning record so really hard to judge this team.
For once, I would say those are fair assessments. Lol

Why did you leave us out ? Afraid we going to let you down again.

West Lincoln their style of offense creates situations where they have to accomplish the perfect game plan. Anything goes wrong and they get behind the 8 ball their offense isn't built to come back. They have to play with lead or within 1 score. But if you're considering y'all selves The underdogs against North Surrey then I guess y'all have the best chance of upsetting.

West Lincoln their style of offense creates situations where they have to accomplish the perfect game plan. Anything goes wrong and they get behind the 8 ball their offense isn't built to come back. They have to play with lead or within 1 score. But if you're considering y'all selves The underdogs against North Surrey then I guess y'all have the best chance of upsetting.
Well, that's pretty good thinking. Now here's one if it pans out, just remember who told you. If it doesn't, try to forget about it. I'm going out on a limb, here. The winner of the Maiden-East Gaston game, I believe, has a decent chance of defeating #2 seed, Salisbury.

Well, that's pretty good thinking. Now here's one if it pans out, just remember who told you. If it doesn't, try to forget about it. I'm going out on a limb, here. The winner of the Maiden-East Gaston game, I believe, has a decent chance of defeating #2 seed, Salisbury.
Well…there it is….Lincolnton threw the 1st rock.

Could’ve just strolled out on the back porch and done some wasp whispering by feeding a wasp some Kit Kat bar…but Nooo!….just had to zing one right past the Hornet nest. 😂

Well…there it is….Lincolnton threw the 1st rock.

Could’ve just strolled out on the back porch and done some wasp whispering by feeding a wasp some Kit Kat bar…but Nooo!….just had to zing one right past the Hornet nest. 😂
The cold weather may hamper @Lincolnton 's effort with the wasp. He's laying low for the Devils now! :)

Cheerduck and Maiden Creek, my friends, I accidentally killed it. I got to reading about them and they die not long after they lay their eggs. Male wasps will try to take their nest from them, too, because they are weak and dying. In an attempt to cheat nature I had been giving it a drop of wine that contained a few grains of aspirin and protein to strengthen it. One morning I went to check on her and a larger wasp was chasing her around the nest. I tried to spray it with water and that didn't work so I tried spraying it (The intruder) with alcohol from an atomizer bottle that I had adjusted to stream, and inadvertently hit her. Because she was so weak she fell right off the nest. Then and there, I thought, D@** your soul, I'll fix you. That's when I went and got the Raid out. Then he fell off the the nest. She was a good friend, I'll miss her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT