ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2024 - Spring/Summer

GrizzlyDevil

Nov 22, 2011
With spring ball around the corner and summer workouts/camps/7on7s on the horizon - I thought it fitting to start to look at the season incoming...sorry @flyrod5518 , not to pull away from your big thread of the 2023 season...but this was going to happen sooner or later.

Looking at what's returning for the upcoming season:

1. Bunker Hill - Returning 42% of their offensive yardage production and 54% of their defensive production (including 35% sack production and 44% turnover production)
T2. Lincolnton - Returning 14% of their offensive yardage production and 37% of their defensive production (including 26% sack production and 30% turnover production)
T2. Maiden - Returning 87% of their offensive yardage production and 67% of their defensive production (including 81% sack production and 83% turnover production)
T2. West Lincoln - Returning 68% of their offensive yardage production and 57% of their defensive production (including 45% sack production and 79% turnover production)
5. Bandys - Returning 60% of their offensive yardage production and 48% of their defensive production (including 38% sack production and 38% turnover production)
6. Newton - Returning 55% of their offensive yardage production and 32% of their defensive production (including 36% sack production and 50% turnover production)
7. East Burke - Returning 42% of their offensive yardage production and 48% of their defensive production (including 39% sack production and 22% turnover production)
8. West Caldwell - Returning 88% of their offensive yardage production - no defensive stats were entered into MaxPreps

Biggest Offensive Production Returning:
1. West Caldwell (88%)
2. Maiden (87%)
3. West Lincoln (68%)

Biggest Defensive Production Returning:
1. Maiden (67%)
2. West Lincoln (57%)
3. Bunker Hill (54%)

We have new head coaches at Newton and West Caldwell - good luck to these gentleman and welcome to the CVAC.

GrizzlyDevil, as always, thank you for another thought-provoking post. Sometimes numbers provide a lot of information about what has or will happen, but for some of the teams listed here, couldn't a considerable part of a team's production in certain catagories mean returning or losing only a few players or maybe just one or two, who can surely make a BIG difference ?

My point being, wouldn't someone have to guard against concluding from these percentages that a team with the lower percentages, like Lincolnton, may not be losing a large number of players, and too, that they (Lincolnton for example) might have players with another year's worth of experience or even coming in at the freshman level stepping up to possibly fill these roles as offensive and defensive leaders, and even match their production.

Disclaimer
: It may cross your mind that I'm trying to poke holes in what might be assumed from your post but I assure you it's not. At best, I'm playing a little bit of the devil's advocate and for the most part I'm trying to take advantage of an opportunity to make myself think critically in order to put off senility as long as I can.

HEY AMD: S H U T U P...Ooops, there goes the senility thing again.😯

GrizzlyDevil, as always, thank you for another thought-provoking post. Sometimes numbers provide a lot of information about what has or will happen, but for some of the teams listed here, couldn't a considerable part of a team's production in certain catagories mean returning or losing only a few players or maybe just one or two, who can surely make a BIG difference ?

My point being, wouldn't someone have to guard against concluding from these percentages that a team with the lower percentages, like Lincolnton, may not be losing a large number of players, and too, that they (Lincolnton for example) might have players with another year's worth of experience or even coming in at the freshman level stepping up to possibly fill these roles as offensive and defensive leaders, and even match their production.

Disclaimer: It may cross your mind that I'm trying to poke holes in what might be assumed from your post but I assure you it's not. At best, I'm playing a little bit of the devil's advocate and for the most part I'm trying to take advantage of an opportunity to make myself think critically in order to put off senility as long as I can.

HEY AMD: S H U T U P...Ooops, there goes the senility thing again.😯
The beautiful thing about numbers Mr. Lincolnton, though they never lie, they can be deceiving as you are alluding.

I thought about your exact points as i looked at the numbers...but those variables are something I cannot account for. I'm just looking at the raw data of the what's leaving...

Look at Lincolnton's situation much like Maiden's the year before. We'd lost over 90% of our offensive production...doesn't mean it won't get filled...it's just a matter of how effectively it's filled. Yes, players will need to step up...but coaching gameplans will be adjusted to fit the new players and their styles.

Grizz, thank you for starting the new thread.

My wolves have a tough task ahead replacing the offensive production this season, losing Mr. Bost, K. Heath, and Andrew Phelps. Our offensive line will be back I believe. I do know that we had some impressive athletes on the JV team.

The beautiful thing about numbers Mr. Lincolnton, though they never lie, they can be deceiving as you are alluding.

I thought about your exact points as i looked at the numbers...but those variables are something I cannot account for. I'm just looking at the raw data of the what's leaving...

Look at Lincolnton's situation much like Maiden's the year before. We'd lost over 90% of our offensive production...doesn't mean it won't get filled...it's just a matter of how effectively it's filled. Yes, players will need to step up...but coaching gameplans will be adjusted to fit the new players and their styles.

They can be very deceiving! Returning 60% of 5000 is more than returning 80% of 2500! So if someone had high output offense (i.e. 5000 yards a year) and bring back 60% of that, you could potentially look better than someone that is bringing back 80% but only put up 2500 yards last year.

Just so I can understand the "production" aspect of what you are talking about, can we break this down:
  • Returning 87% of their offensive yardage production
    • Are talking about they are bringing back players that gained 87% of the yardage for last year?
  • 67% of their defensive production (including 81% sack production and 83% turnover production)
    • Are these players that started or players that had tackles at some point on defense?
    • Is it safe to assume that the sack production is counting for the players that had 81% of the sacks last year are coming back? Same for turnovers?
For the offensive side of the ball, do we know how many OL starters are coming back? I could see that playing as big a role as bringing back a high percentage of yardage production, unless the OL starters are part of those percentages.

I have no dog in the fight, but the CVAC posters seem to know what they are talking about and I enjoy the great discussion this conference has in general.

What I didn’t see factored in was coaching, we all know that it probably accounts for at least 50%, maybe more.

Sorta like Mr Lincolnton, trying to ward off senility.

They can be very deceiving! Returning 60% of 5000 is more than returning 80% of 2500! So if someone had high output offense (i.e. 5000 yards a year) and bring back 60% of that, you could potentially look better than someone that is bringing back 80% but only put up 2500 yards last year.

Just so I can understand the "production" aspect of what you are talking about, can we break this down:
  • Returning 87% of their offensive yardage production
    • Are talking about they are bringing back players that gained 87% of the yardage for last year?
  • 67% of their defensive production (including 81% sack production and 83% turnover production)
    • Are these players that started or players that had tackles at some point on defense?
    • Is it safe to assume that the sack production is counting for the players that had 81% of the sacks last year are coming back? Same for turnovers?
For the offensive side of the ball, do we know how many OL starters are coming back? I could see that playing as big a role as bringing back a high percentage of yardage production, unless the OL starters are part of those percentages.

I have no dog in the fight, but the CVAC posters seem to know what they are talking about and I enjoy the great discussion this conference has in general.
You are correct on your bulleted assumptions...that's what I'm figuring.

As for Oline...Maiden is returning 4 lineman from the Oline. And yes, that plays a big part but I've no idea the starters for other teams so I stayed away from bringing it up.

Even looking at the numbers, it doesn't account for the "back up player" last year who will step into the starting roll and still put up big numbers, nor does it account for JV standouts that will produce big.

Big replacement questions for teams off the top of my head:

BH - Replacing QB and WR play.

Linc - Replacing offensive playmakers.

Maiden - everything should be intact...can we get elevated WR play? Improved run defense?

WL - solid return...even better support roles? (wr/rb other than winnix)

Bandys - same wr production? Defensive production

Newton - always have athletes..how well/quickly can they mold into new system?

EB - can they stay injury free?

WC - a bevy of young talent and production...how well can they mold into new coaches vision?

What I didn’t see factored in was coaching, we all know that it probably accounts for at least 50%, maybe more.

Sorta like Mr Lincolnton, trying to ward off senility.
All I mentioned was new coaches. They are stepping into programs with numerous consecutive losing seasons. Ask me again about them after 2 seasons.

As for returning coaches...CVAC has a very talented group. I believe the best staffs are Maiden and West Lincoln.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Footballstar_17 & Sportsnut17, those are good points. Tip of the hat to the #17 guys...Hope he doesn't mind me saying this and it will go against his sense of modesty, but GrizzlyDevil lets me kind of, sort of, challenge him a little with the math. I know that in the numbers field he could easily put me to shame, but he allows it...Me, on the other hand, I dabble with numbers to spread "fertilizer", and not for any sensible purpose.
Hope he doesn't mind me saying this, too, but besides being a Maiden Blue Devil afficianado GrizzlyDevil is also a bright, young civil engineer and probably begins thinking about theorms, notions and such pretty early in the day, so numbers are definitely a big part of his working life...You know, I would go as far as saying GDevil is the Hemiunu (Sounds like the combustion chamber on a 426 Chrysler engine from the 1960's) of the NC Preps message boards.

Footballstar_17 & Sportsnut17, those are good points. Tip of the hat to the #17 guys...Hope he doesn't mind me saying this and it will go against his sense of modesty, but GrizzlyDevil lets me kind of, sort of, challenge him a little with the math. I know that in the numbers field he could easily put me to shame, but he allows it...Me, on the other hand, I dabble with numbers to spread "fertilizer", and not for any sensible purpose.
Hope he doesn't mind me saying this, too, but besides being a Maiden Blue Devil afficianado GrizzlyDevil is also a bright, young civil engineer and probably begins thinking about theorms, notions and such pretty early in the day, so numbers are definitely a big part of his working life...You know, I would go as far as saying GDevil is the Hemiunu (Sounds like the combustion chamber on a 426 Chrysler engine from the 1960's) of the NC Preps message boards.
A very generous comparison well above my deserving...personally I would dabble more in fire than in stone 😉. More of a Francis Whitaker than a Hemiunu...just keeping alive something I love for as long as I can

Feeling good about our young players at East Burke JV team went 6 and 4 with key people move up the last two game of the season and they stayed healthy. Gave the west Lincoln game away in OT and the Freedom game gave that one away on a bad punt cover!! Good group of soph moving up.

I can say this based on a guy I work with whose kids are in the West Lincoln system. What he says every starting lineman from West Lincoln graduated last year

And I got a hypothetical question let's say some district lines got redrawn and Bunker hills running back ends up in Statesville School district as far as that goes we can say hickory 🤣 how much offensive production do they lose 😂🤣

And I got a hypothetical question let's say some district lines got redrawn and Bunker hills running back ends up in Statesville School district as far as that goes we can say hickory 🤣 how much offensive production do they lose 😂🤣
Looks like he would have to go to a Catawba County school, Statesville being in Iredell County; and Hickory has their own school district, ie Hickory City Schools (Do they not).

I can say this based on a guy I work with whose kids are in the West Lincoln system. What he says every starting lineman from West Lincoln graduated last year
I heard that last night over at Walmart, and I heard it last August about this past year's WL team, and we know how that turned out. I wonder if their coach isn't like Coach T. Brown, he has the ability to take what's available and turn them into competitors. Given their type of offense, maybe that's why some of the old school coaches had such success.

I heard that last night over at Walmart, and I heard it last August about this past year's WL team, and we know how that turned out. I wonder if their coach isn't like Coach T. Brown, he has the ability to take what's available and turn them into competitors. Given their type of offense, maybe that's why some of the old school coaches had such success.
Yeah but your whole line is hard. That's the bread and butter of their system

Who is Lincolnton QB for the upcoming season? The JV kid? Sorry if that has been asked before
Flyrod, I have heard that Karson Cloninger, son of former Head Coach Scott Cloninger, will be the quarterback this season. Replacing Mr. Bost will be a tall task but I have been told that the coaching staff has a tremendous amount of confidence in Cloninger.

In the first round of the playoffs he was 3 of 4, for 109 yards against North Surry. He's also key player on defense at middle linebacker, one of those kids who looks like he has grown more everytime you see him.
Here is highlight of him from the NorthSurry game, courtesy of MaxPreps. It's best if you maximize the screen on the video.

Hopefully the injuries stay away this year for us. Lol I'd hate to have to shave my beard and slap a helmet on and see if I can slide in without notice 🤣🤣. I may have to learn a new position at this point 🤣🤣

Reactions: Dinglebear
With spring ball around the corner and summer workouts/camps/7on7s on the horizon - I thought it fitting to start to look at the season incoming...sorry @flyrod5518 , not to pull away from your big thread of the 2023 season...but this was going to happen sooner or later.

Looking at what's returning for the upcoming season:

1. Bunker Hill - Returning 42% of their offensive yardage production and 54% of their defensive production (including 35% sack production and 44% turnover production)
T2. Lincolnton - Returning 14% of their offensive yardage production and 37% of their defensive production (including 26% sack production and 30% turnover production)
T2. Maiden - Returning 87% of their offensive yardage production and 67% of their defensive production (including 81% sack production and 83% turnover production)
T2. West Lincoln - Returning 68% of their offensive yardage production and 57% of their defensive production (including 45% sack production and 79% turnover production)
5. Bandys - Returning 60% of their offensive yardage production and 48% of their defensive production (including 38% sack production and 38% turnover production)
6. Newton - Returning 55% of their offensive yardage production and 32% of their defensive production (including 36% sack production and 50% turnover production)
7. East Burke - Returning 42% of their offensive yardage production and 48% of their defensive production (including 39% sack production and 22% turnover production)
8. West Caldwell - Returning 88% of their offensive yardage production - no defensive stats were entered into MaxPreps

Biggest Offensive Production Returning:
1. West Caldwell (88%)
2. Maiden (87%)
3. West Lincoln (68%)

Biggest Defensive Production Returning:
1. Maiden (67%)
2. West Lincoln (57%)
3. Bunker Hill (54%)

We have new head coaches at Newton and West Caldwell - good luck to these gentleman and welcome to the CVAC.
First post in a very long time. "Back in the day," Newton-Conover had very little turnover at head coach. Now it seems to be a bit of a revolving door there (compared to many years past). How many coaches have they had in the last say 20 years? Anyone know?

First post in a very long time. "Back in the day," Newton-Conover had very little turnover at head coach. Now it seems to be a bit of a revolving door there (compared to many years past). How many coaches have they had in the last say 20 years? Anyone know?
Patrick,Bazzle,, guy who came from Tennessee they forced out brint Russell, Matt beam then pack, now bazzle step son Matt Wilson.. am I leaving anyone out ??

What offense is Wilson going to run there?
Nobody has said for sure. I'm gonna guess an option pass offense or a wing style with passing. I'm hoping for the triple option so he runs all the kids off 🤣🤣🤣. But I don't think he will.

Ace, where in the world have you been. Wait, wait, don't tell me... It's awfully good to hear from you and I hope all is well.
GrizzlyDevil,AMD and MC, this guy is as much of a Blue Devil as you are. He was at the Maiden-Tablor City ice bowl in 78 when the Devils (Blue, that is,Tabor City being the Red Devils) brought home the title with a resounding win over a favored team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT