ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2023 - Week 5

Hoping somebody else would go first but here's mine:

West Lincoln at Bandys: I really don't know what to expect. Thought West would be down this year even knowing they are well coached, but then they beat North Lincoln who beat us the following week. Most say you can't go by that but it leaves an impression on me. By what others say, Bandys looks good so I'm a little puzzled on this one. I'm going with West by 6.

Maiden at East Burke: Last fall was the first time I had seen East Burke play. They appear to play with a chip on their shoulder. Our guys are pretty physical but several were bruised up after playing the Cavaliers, or so I heard. In this conference Maiden will be hard to beat but they can't let their guard down and take EB lightly. Maiden by 10.

Newton-Conover at West Caldwell: The Red Devils by 14.

Bunker Hill at Lincolnton: Well, I'd just as soon not discuss this because to me, it's the "elephant in the room".
The reason is in my mind it's like playing South Point or East Lincoln, again. These guys (BH) beat us last year without their ace running back. On top of that they held us to a measly six points. They can run and pass. Last season, their quarterback had one game where his completion percentage was under .500, against the Community School of Davidson, but there was no need for passing as their running game carried them. I noticed that, too. if someone slows the run they will take to the air and have amassed big numbers doing both. This is the same team as last year just a year better.
We absolutely have to play as hard as we can and do our best, and I have confidence in the Wolves, but I always do. I also never pick against them. Lincolnton by 1.

Postscript: BFR, last year was the first time I'd been to the East Burke stadium. It's an impressive place, and seems like someone said there had been some recent renovations. The visitors' stands were quite large and built into the side of a small mountain (Think I'd heard they changed it to the home side, this year). The people and staff were cordial as well. After the game was over I stayed there a while until a lady came by and asked if someone was coming after me. I thanked her and told her I was waiting for the traffic to thin out and that it was kind of nice sitting there on the side of the hill. Looking forward to coming back, sometime.

Last edited:
I think west and bandy's can be a good game. West has to keep it close to have a chance. It's hard for a running team to beat a passing team, the margin for error is razor thin. Taking bandy's.
@Lincolnton I'm really pulling for yall this week, hard to believe I'm typing this 😂. But ultimately I'm protecting my weekly standings. And going with Bunker Hill. Go wolves 🤮
Newton has a 2nd bye week against West Caldwell. I really would like to replace them in our conference 😂 but I guess that may be coming with new divisions.
Ok maiden and East Burke. We got to get some of these injuries fixed. One really hurts and don't think it's fixable. They say don't stand on the tracks when a hype train is coming but when has the devil ever played by the rules. 😂 so maiden pulls out a physical game.

Thanks AMD, the Bears will be very tough. Last time they were here, year before last, they beat us 20-6. Maybe this time, maybe.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Well this one gonna be more unpredictable than last week. Ole Burke here is down in the standings as to say…I have lost my touch. I’m gonna climb back up but when I do you guys are gonna have the same picks as me and win so I’ll be not one notch up lol.

So here we go, shaking the dice, shaking the dice, puts it up to Cheerducks face here blow on it whew now Lincolntons face, here blow on it, whew, now the big Burke 4 Reel dice roll—-

Bandys over West: it’s gonna happen, gonna happen. Well coached, lots of returns, big time JV last year, Helms is on fire making the offense calls, said all this too many times but it’s gonna happen. I’d be hesitate if the South game was close, but it wasn’t. This one is Bandys. By 14 maybe

Maiden over East Burke: hey I’m loyal to the Cavs and will take a L in the standings gladly but I’m a realist. Last time EB beat Maiden was the first time they ever played them in Non conf action in 2007. THE best EB team ever was and Shatley played a heck of a game and WE STILL almost lost. Buff out for season, Fraley will still be out unless something changes so circumstances and history are not on EBs side on this game at all. It’s winnable for EB with this group of guys but it’s gonna take lucky calls, Maiden fumbles and penalities, an extra pt kicking game….yes a kicking game, and some short complete passes to go with the run heavy Dellinger/Coble rushing attack. Much as I hate to say it, Maiden by 14 or better(hoping I’m wrong)

BH over Lincolnton: not much talk on this one, all bears but a winnable game for Lincolnton like I said for EB, no need in repeating it but unless those things happen, it’s all Hill. Give Wolves benefit of doubt and go with a close one at 10. That’s 10 pts for BH

Newton over West Caldwell: prob by 21 at the least. Is it basketball season yet

Hoping somebody else would go first but here's mine:

West Lincoln at Bandys: I really don't know what to expect. Thought West would be down this year even knowing they are well coached, but then they beat North Lincoln who beat us the following week. Most say you can't go by that but it leaves an impression on me. By what others say, Bandys looks good so I'm a little puzzled on this one. I'm going with West by 6.

Maiden at East Burke: Last fall was the first time I had seen East Burke play. They appear to play with a chip on their shoulder. Our guys are pretty physical but several were bruised up after playing the Cavaliers, or so I heard. In this conference Maiden will be hard to beat but they can't let their guard down and take EB lightly. Maiden by 10.

Newton-Conover at West Caldwell: The Red Devils by 14.

Bunker Hill at Lincolnton: Well, I'd just as soon not discuss this because to me, it's the "elephant in the room".
The reason is in my mind it's like playing South Point or East Lincoln, again. These guys (BH) beat us last year without their ace running back. On top of that they held us to a measly six points. They can run and pass. Last season, their quarterback had one game where his completion percentage was under .500, against the Community School of Davidson, but there was no need for passing as their running game carried them. I noticed that, too. if someone slows the run they will take to the air and have amassed big numbers doing both. This is the same team as last year just a year better.
We absolutely have to play as hard as we can and do our best, and I have confidence in the Wolves, but I always do. I also never pick against them. Lincolnton by 1.

Postscript: BFR, last year was the first time I'd been to the East Burke stadium. It's an impressive place, and seems like someone said there had been some recent renovations. The visitors' stands were quite large and built into the side of a small mountain (Think I'd heard they changed it to the home side, this year). The people and staff were cordial as well. After the game was over I stayed there a while until a lady came by and asked if someone was coming after me. I thanked her and told her I was waiting for the traffic to thin out and that it was kind of nice sitting there on the side of the hill. Looking forward to coming back, sometime.

Lincolnton, I can only imagine the lady seeing you sitting there at your game after the game had ended. After all you were in Burke County and all. Many people just don't understand your appreciation of high school football and the history of the venues as you and I do. My brother played on that field the first year it opened in the fall of 1974. HHS scrimmaged the new East Burke team and he recalls the field had numerous rocks on the playing field. I'm sure it took some time for those rocks to work themselves to the top of the ground and get removed. Good luck to your Wolves this week. I watched the game film versus East Lincoln and your team played well and hard. They are capable of winning the rest of their games.

Last edited:
TEAMCONF WCONF LCONF %OVR WOVR LOVR %
BANDYS000.0%30100.0%
BUNKER HILL000.0%30100.0%
WEST LINCOLN000.0%30100.0%
EAST BURKE000.0%2166.7%
MAIDEN000.0%2166.7%
NEWTON000.0%1233.3%
LINCOLNTON000.0%030.0%
WEST CALDWELL000.0%030.0%

TEAMPFPAAPFAPAAVG DIFF ⬆️
BUNKER HILL1362145.37.038.3
BANDYS1292043.06.736.3
WEST LINCOLN1384746.015.730.3
EAST BURKE1004633.315.318.0
MAIDEN1197239.724.015.7
LINCOLNTON558418.328.0-9.7
NEWTON10414934.749.7-15.0
WEST CALDWELL141404.746.7-42.0

Lincolnton, I can only imagine the lady seeing you sitting there at your game after the game had ended. After all you were in Burke County and all. Many people just don't understand your appreciation of high school football and the history of the venues as you and I do. My brother played on that filed the first year it opened in the fall of 1974. HHHS scrimmaged the new East Burke team and he recalls the field had numerous rocks on the playing filed. I'm sure it took some time for those rocks to work themselves to the top of the ground and get removed. Good luck to your Wolves this week. I watched the game film versus East Lincoln and your team played well and hard. They are capable of winning the rest of their games.
Cheerduck, you're right, my friend. Guys like us sit and wonder about such things as what a stadium area might have looked like before it was built, who were the engineers that built it and what they might have been discussing, the pride of the first class to have used it and attended games, there, along with other memorable events such as great teams, upsets, memorable players, and other events.
These last few years since I retired from work has left me without any timetable or schedule which I had to strictly live by for the last half a century, and frankly, for me, it ain't too bad. Old age has its drawbacks but it has some pluses, too.

bluedevil2022, Some way or the other, I got over on the CVAC week 3 thread and left a comment about West Caldwell targeting us for their first win. I just saw the comment you left. Thanks for the kind words.

Some, have probably seen these predictions from Calpreps.com. If not, here they are for this week:

-Bunker Hill 31 Lincolnton 17
-Maiden 34 East Burke 21
-Newton-Conover 56 West Caldwell 21
-Bandys 35 West Lincoln 19
Other predictions for area teams:
Hickory 27 East Lincoln 26
Burns 62 Highland Tech 0

Predictions for out of state teams:
Annandale Va. 34 Falls Church Va. 24
Side Note
: Both team have something in common with us, here in Lincolnton, they're winless.

Side Note: The Annandale teams have a unique name, The Atoms.

Some, have probably seen these predictions from Calpreps.com. If not, here they are for this week:

-Maiden 34 East Burke 21
Burns 62 Highland Tech 0

Side Note
: Both team have something in common with us, here in Lincolnton, they're winless.

If the Cavs are healthy for the most part in this one then expect a closer one. If they kept a Draughn QB who oughta be better than Maidens, in check for at least half the game then the D should hold on their end.

-Maiden 34 East Burke 21
Burns 62 Highland Tech 0

Side Note

Maybe the atoms we'll go full nuclear and have an explosion of points 😂

If the Cavs are healthy for the most part in this one then expect a closer one. If they kept a Draughn QB who oughta be better than Maidens, in check for at least half the game then the D should hold on their end.
Get ready for a physical game from EB this years!!
BFR and BD22, For those posts I predict you'll be getting a response from ole Captain Howdy himself. I don't think he can resist it. I also believe he's been going to the Toastmasters meeting to learn how to do a civil type of an insult. Up until recently, he would just blurt it out. :)

• Haha
BFR and BD22, For those posts I predict you'll be getting a response from ole Captain Howdy himself. I don't think he can resist it. I also believe he's been going to the Toastmasters meeting to learn how to do a civil type of an insult. Up until recently, he would just blurt it out. :)
I didn't want to do it but you pushed me into it 😂. Yes East Burke team will be physical.. physically unable to perform 😂😂. But in all seriousness I don't wish injuries on any kid 😉. Now about this comment about drones quarterback yes he's probably more overall talented, but I seriously doubt he's as physical as maidens quarterback. And u can blame @Lincolnton for this post 😂😂

I didn't want to do it but you pushed me into it 😂. Yes East Burke team will be physical.. physically unable to perform 😂😂. But in all seriousness I don't wish injuries on any kid 😉. Now about this comment about drones quarterback yes he's probably more overall talented, but I seriously doubt he's as physical as maidens quarterback. And u can blame @Lincolnton for this post 😂😂

TEAMCONF WCONF LCONF %OVR WOVR LOVR %
BANDYS000.0%30100.0%
BUNKER HILL000.0%30100.0%
WEST LINCOLN000.0%30100.0%
EAST BURKE000.0%2166.7%
MAIDEN000.0%2166.7%
NEWTON000.0%1233.3%
LINCOLNTON000.0%030.0%
WEST CALDWELL000.0%030.0%

TEAMPFPAAPFAPAAVG DIFF ⬆️
BUNKER HILL1362145.37.038.3
BANDYS1292043.06.736.3
WEST LINCOLN1384746.015.730.3
EAST BURKE1004633.315.318.0
MAIDEN1197239.724.015.7
LINCOLNTON558418.328.0-9.7
NEWTON10414934.749.7-15.0
WEST CALDWELL141404.746.7-42.0
Bandys and West Lincoln are definitely teams that are above the cut line early.

Well the Draughn & Maiden QB comparison within the comment if you see the words “oughta be” and kept in check “half of the game” (not exact words, it wasn’t meant to be a sly comment. Credit the Draughn man, he’s been the talk of the town player at his position. Senior as well, wasn’t sure what grade Maidens current QB is, I shoulda looked at maxpreps. Great reference point when it comes to comments on this thing… that we just have fun on anyway.

Not a lot to compare around when we little people don’t have fancy TVs and computers to flip back and forth on making pre game analysis cause it’s just high school local ball and we’re not in suits working at espn.

Basically what I’m saying is in a nutshell for this grand meeting with Maiden and EB we’re looking at how it could be closer than expected and how it could get out of hand. I still favor Maiden to take it due to this this this and this. But also give EB benefit of the doubt as to we’re it can be winnable for them. Keys to the game more less-

EB has the 12th grader experience on their side, Dellinger on both sides of ball, hopefully an X Pt kicking game after 2 weeks LOL, experience against (here is we’re it got hairy) a QB that ok…he has field vision, good pocket presence, and can move his long legs in stride and burn a D if the running lanes and space is right and “oughta be” but not saying that he actually is overall “better” than Maidens QB which I assumed was an underclassman anyway stepping up from Maidens big senior exit last year.

One thing I give maiden big time credit for is they step up and fill gaps when they have mass senior exits. They may not be quite as good as the previous teams when that happens but they step up and make themselves still known and not to be taken lightly in any way. We’re as EB, Hibriten, South Caldwell, Lincolnton, etc feel growing pains when big senior losses hit. Just saying.

Key to a slim victory for the Cavs in this one- XP, Injury recovery, play that D more consistent as they did against Draughn, running game effective for that extra yard..and they may have a chance. Still be a major upset if they pull it off. Only beat Maiden ONCE and Shatley was suited up when that happened.

Well the Draughn & Maiden QB comparison within the comment if you see the words “oughta be” and kept in check “half of the game” (not exact words, it wasn’t meant to be a sly comment. Credit the Draughn man, he’s been the talk of the town player at his position. Senior as well, wasn’t sure what grade Maidens current QB is, I shoulda looked at maxpreps. Great reference point when it comes to comments on this thing… that we just have fun on anyway.

Not a lot to compare around when we little people don’t have fancy TVs and computers to flip back and forth on making pre game analysis cause it’s just high school local ball and we’re not in suits working at espn.

Basically what I’m saying is in a nutshell for this grand meeting with Maiden and EB we’re looking at how it could be closer than expected and how it could get out of hand. I still favor Maiden to take it due to this this this and this. But also give EB benefit of the doubt as to we’re it can be winnable for them. Keys to the game more less-

EB has the 12th grader experience on their side, Dellinger on both sides of ball, hopefully an X Pt kicking game after 2 weeks LOL, experience against (here is we’re it got hairy) a QB that ok…he has field vision, good pocket presence, and can move his long legs in stride and burn a D if the running lanes and space is right and “oughta be” but not saying that he actually is overall “better” than Maidens QB which I assumed was an underclassman anyway stepping up from Maidens big senior exit last year.

One thing I give maiden big time credit for is they step up and fill gaps when they have mass senior exits. They may not be quite as good as the previous teams when that happens but they step up and make themselves still known and not to be taken lightly in any way. We’re as EB, Hibriten, South Caldwell, Lincolnton, etc feel growing pains when big senior losses hit. Just saying.

Key to a slim victory for the Cavs in this one- XP, Injury recovery, play that D more consistent as they did against Draughn, running game effective for that extra yard..and they may have a chance. Still be a major upset if they pull it off. Only beat Maiden ONCE and Shatley was suited up when that happened.
Do y'all run the ball up the middle ?

Do y'all run the ball up the middle ?
Oh we ball up the middle big time. Coble is our power back and he’s bigger than last year and seems to be alittle faster. They do a better job at creating running lanes better than last year as well. Draughn was their first real competition and they threw up good rushing yards on them even though they lost. If we done a few things right we’d had em.

Expect Draughn to make some noise this year however you can tell they lost alittle on Defense. Obviously, they lost to Huss and allowed alot of points against Chase. 3rd round this year in 1A if they lucky.

Losing to Draughn in general and not destroying the worst Freedom team ever will leave the Cavs suspect against Maiden…but it has been 2 weeks to Friday since Draughn game so hopefully we got some things ironed out.

Oh we ball up the middle big time. Coble is our power back and he’s bigger than last year and seems to be alittle faster. They do a better job at creating running lanes better than last year as well. Draughn was their first real competition and they threw up good rushing yards on them even though they lost. If we done a few things right we’d had em.

Expect Draughn to make some noise this year however you can tell they lost alittle on Defense. Obviously, they lost to Huss and allowed alot of points against Chase. 3rd round this year in 1A if they lucky.
Should be a good test for our 350 pound nose guard 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT