ADVERTISEMENT

Overhauling of the NCHSAA by the NC House

I leave the conspiracy theories to the loons that need to be spoon fed their views. Most of them have decency to give credit to who provides them their info.
Still harping on that I see. So why do you think people are leaving public schools? And give me something other than people want choices.

Still harping on that I see. So why do you think people are leaving public schools? And give me something other than people want choices.
COVID shutdown of schools for remote learning moved people out to privates and homeschooling is an easy example. After that they stayed. Where have you been?

Well you haven't seemed to give credit to were you got your data to support the drop occured after Covid.

Btw what side of the aisle launched attacks on public schools during Covid?
Google.com and go from there.

Second part is as irrelevant as most of your views and beliefs.

Or I can search “drop in Nc school enrollment” like most above room temperature IQ folks. Tough break on being in the other group.

Pretty pathetic you are trying to play the race card. Not surprising but still pathetic.
Nope. But a lot of my friends are. Always with the preface, “but I’m not racist”. My high school went from 1,000 students to 625. Eighty percent white to 20%. Decades before COVID. First it was to county schools. Now some to charters and privates. And when candid, they admit that they want their kids and grandkids to go to school with kids who look like them. You can try to marginalize it with condescending rhetoric all you want. It’s very much a part of the reality we live in.

Nope. But a lot of my friends are. Always with the preface, “but I’m not racist”. My high school went from 1,000 students to 625. Eighty percent white to 20%. Decades before COVID. First it was to county schools. Now some to charters and privates. And when candid, they admit that they want their kids and grandkids to go to school with kids who look like them. You can try to marginalize it with condescending rhetoric all you want. It’s very much a part of the reality we live in.

Reality is skewed for people like crest. They don't want to acknowledge that race issues still exist. Hence why all those municipalities in Charlotte were pushed to try and start charter schools several years ago. "Like minded people"

How many charters school exist in predominantly white counties? How many exist in the mountains?

Reactions: bigdadd11103
Wow people move around and neighborhoods change. So that definitely explains why traditional public schools are seeing a drop in enrollment and charter schools are growing. Over the last 15 years and then check out their demographics. Again pathetic.

Those bigoted charter schools. Keep living your truth though. All that matters.

https://www.wunc.org/education/2022...-annual-report-charter-schools-north-carolina
I reiterate that I can’t speak for statewide numbers. But, in Thomasville, the district lines were frozen in 1983. The motive was absolutely about white flight.
The information you provide seems to support that the Hispanic population has affected charter school enrollment.
My concern is that traditional public schools are being assaulted from several directions and an unlevel playing field is undermining their ability to compete. I believe it’s about much more than parental choice.

I reiterate that I can’t speak for statewide numbers. But, in Thomasville, the district lines were frozen in 1983. The motive was absolutely about white flight.
The information you provide seems to support that the Hispanic population has affected charter school enrollment.
My concern is that traditional public schools are being assaulted from several directions and an unlevel playing field is undermining their ability to compete. I believe it’s about much more than parental choice.
Your truth and feelings can’t overcome facts. So maybe focus those concerns on real issues and not Mississippi burning or schools being “assaulted from different directions.”

Ultimately, I don't give the tiniest damn why parents choose to do what they think is right for their kids and I don't know why other people think they have a right to judge them for it. If your kids struggle in life, it's going to trouble you more than some bureaucrat and you are going to be the one who tries to help them, if you're worth a damn. If you decide that moving your kids out of a school because you think it's failing them, then I say more power to you. The state is only too willing to take your money and do what they will with it, but if parents have decided that they won't accept that with their kids, I am 100 percent behind them.

Reactions: beamer24
Reality is skewed for people like crest. They don't want to acknowledge that race issues still exist. Hence why all those municipalities in Charlotte were pushed to try and start charter schools several years ago. "Like minded people"

How many charters school exist in predominantly white counties? How many exist in the mountains?
In all honesty, every charter school that I know the name of in NC is in rural areas. Gastonia being the largest city. The rest are small towns in Lincoln, Cleveland, Rutherford and Gaston County going west to Lake Lure in the mountains.

In all honesty, every charter school that I know the name of in NC is in rural areas. Gastonia being the largest city. The rest are small towns in Lincoln, Cleveland, Rutherford and Gaston County going west to Lake Lure in the mountains.
There is a whole conference of charter schools in the Charlotte Metro area. Lincoln Charter is in one of the fastest growing areas of the state, and pulls from 6(I think) counties. Gaston County is also a large area.

How many charters are in Wilkes, Yadkin, Graham, Swain, Davie, Stokes, etc.?

Yeah-this is totally about race and absolutely nothing else :rolleyes::

While y'all worry about books ya kids are sending nasty videos to each other on their phones and talking to who knows who on social media. Look at how the Supreme Court views removing books.

I'm not saying parents don't have a right to choose but the parents that cry over parent rights can't even parent.

While y'all worry about books ya kids are sending nasty videos to each other on their phones and talking to who knows who on social media. Look at how the Supreme Court views removing books.

I'm not saying parents don't have a right to choose but the parents that cry over parent rights can't even parent.
This is borderline incoherent and paints with a very broad brush. Parents who are involved in their kids life aren't perfect, but they try to do what they can to protect their children. They can take steps to put safeguards on their kid's phones or limit their time on social media, but they have limited control over what happens in schools. So now they've decided to take action and you are all up in arms over that? Please continue to push the line that parents are the problem here, I hope your party puts that in their platform going forward.

This is borderline incoherent and paints with a very broad brush. Parents who are involved in their kids life aren't perfect, but they try to do what they can to protect their children. They can take steps to put safeguards on their kid's phones or limit their time on social media, but they have limited control over what happens in schools. So now they've decided to take action and you are all up in arms over that? Please continue to push the line that parents are the problem here, I hope your party puts that in their platform going forward.

But so many parents don't take those steps. Parents are much more of a problem then it's being made to believe.

But so many parents don't take those steps. Parents are much more of a problem then it's being made to believe.
But you judge those parents who choose to take their kids out of those situations and put them in different schools that they think is best fit for them

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
And?! I'm sorry that there are so many irresponsible parents, but there is only so much that can be done in that regard. Responsible parents must still do what they can to help their children become successful, nothing you have argued changes that.
In other words, I'm not going to penalize responsible parents for the actions of irresponsible parents.

Oh look Google. Look where the heaviest concentration is

But you judge those parents who choose to take their kids out of those situations and put them in different schools that they think is best fit for them

I'm not judging anyone. I've never said no one has the right to choose. What I have said is that is actions where taken to fix the issues in public schools, then the need for options would dwindle significantly.

These options are being given because there is money to be made for the ones involved. Idk how that is so hard to see.

I'm not judging anyone. I've never said no one has the right to choose. What I have said is that is actions where taken to fix the issues in public schools, then the need for options would dwindle significantly.
Yes you do. In almost all of your post you are judging people

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
There is a whole conference of charter schools in the Charlotte Metro area. Lincoln Charter is in one of the fastest growing areas of the state, and pulls from 6(I think) counties. Gaston County is also a large area.

How many charters are in Wilkes, Yadkin, Graham, Swain, Davie, Stokes, etc.?
Actually Denver isn't growing,it has lost residents the last 2 years in a row. Most would consider Lincoln county rural though. The ones moving and building that area are older adults. I was in the area this evening looking at a property in Sherrills Ford, so I know the area pretty well.

It's easy to find a county without a charter but you also have to look at the there are 18 west of Gastonia going all the way into the mountains. It takes money to start a charter, so maybe those areas don't have anyone backing them financially to start a charter if the area wanted one.

Also, I know some charter are specific based programs. Geared towards gender, behaviors, stem, and trades among other things. Some of these Charter Schools also serve older students up to 21 in getting their high school diploma.

I agree, traditional schools need more freedom in how they educate the kids. So I am for supporting traditional and charter schools, whatever works best for an individual student to succeed. I know a blended family that one son goes to a traditional and the other goes to charter, both in the same grade. Choose which is best for your kid.

Lincoln Charter has or has had students enrolled from at least eight counties. I did not think it was allowed to have one athletic team for a two separate campus setup like they have but they are doing so.

There are just over 200 charter schools in NC. Most are elementary age groups. The original maximum number was to be 100 but the maximum was removed. There are actual non NC corporations that run / own some of the charters.

Meck County has numerous charter schools, about ten or so offer high school through 12th grade but not all offer sports is my understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT