ADVERTISEMENT

Overhauling of the NCHSAA by the NC House

And if it was a trend statewide where races are being pulled from others then it would show in the numbers. It does not. Personal visits and all aside.

I am not arguing that the total racial makeup of charters is much different than the statewide traditional school numbers. My belief, which I have found from having on-site knowledge at several charters, is that the school student bodies tend to be highly made up of Caucasian or African American and are not highly diversified. Nothing more.

I am not arguing that the total racial makeup of charters is much different than the statewide traditional school numbers. My belief, which I have found from having on-site knowledge at several charters, is that the school student bodies tend to be highly made up of Caucasian or African American and are not highly diversified. Nothing more.
And likely reflects similar schools in the area for racial makeup. Even with those one off sites people like to prop up as an example.

From the stats it looks like Whites are over represented by about 12% at charters as compared to traditional public schools, 48.7-43.7. Blacks are over represented by about 7%, 26.2-24.6. Asians are over represented by about 5 % 4.2-4. Two or more races are over represented by almost 20% 6.7-5.4. Only Hispanics are under represented 13.3-21.1. It looks to me like there are all sorts of parents who want some alternative to what their traditional local school offers. I think if those parents were questioned very few world mention race as a factor in their decision. But please, continue to push the “concerned parents are actually secret racists” line. I’m sure the over represented mixed race parents will respond well to that.

And likely reflects similar schools in the area for racial makeup. Even with those one off sites people like to prop up as an example.
I used the two charters I have most recently been visited. The schools nearest Graystone (Albemarle and North Stanly) and Uwharrie (Asheboro and SW Randolph) have one school each that is not close and the other is within 15% of the Caucasian enrollment.

I know there are some charter schools that have a very high percentage of Black students. North East Prep (charter) is 48% Caucasian. The nearest high schools (NW Edgecombe and Tarboro) are less than 15% Caucasian.

Transportation is not provided by charter schools unless some have taken that on recently in a limited setup. Lack of transportation would expectedly result in the school mirroring the local community more due to logistics.

I know many parents that have went the charter route and they have their reasons. It is educational and safety with everyone of them. That decision is based on real and sometimes perceived factors but it is their choice and decision.

I am done with the racial component discussion on charters.

Reactions: Bill28714
You need to be. There is enough real issues with racism out there for us to need to go inventing racial components and discrimination. That means hammering home those divisive ideas so they don't continue to exist based on feelings or singular observation.

The elephant in the room that nobody wants to address. Community support. The best schools in the state. Be it charter or public have parents and community support. If a community anywhere in the state wants a high performing school. The parents must be involved with admins of the school and district. I have grand kids in both public and charter schools. I can tell a big difference in the attitudes of the two. The charter kids seem more relaxed and balanced. All the parents are involved with their childs education. The charter kids seem to be held to a higher standard. If you don't comply with the standard. You will be kicked out. Maybe these standards should be applied to public schools as well. Seems like all of society keeps lowering the bar for what is acceptable. I don't care what school it is. If the community,parents, and school set standards . And demand kids perform. They will step up.

Unfortunately it will become law in a matter of days effective for next school year. It also apparently removes the ability of the NCHSAA from entering into corporate sponsorships and it's ability to give grants and scholarships.

The grant/scholarship part seems hypocritical since part of what brought this whole debacle on was how the NCHSAA handles it's money.

These folks are no good and if you think they are, enjoying drowning in that Koolaid.

Unfortunately it will become law in a matter of days effective for next school year. It also apparently removes the ability of the NCHSAA from entering into corporate sponsorships and it's ability to give grants and scholarships.

The grant/scholarship part seems hypocritical since part of what brought this whole debacle on was how the NCHSAA handles it's money.

These folks are no good and if you think they are, enjoying drowning in that Koolaid.

fc5bddbc0a776888f5f0a70efb5eb9a1.gif

Basically an overview of the zoom cast.

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
New Bern being stripped of it's 4-A State Championship by the NCHSAA and NOT awarding the 4-A Title to Grimsley is asinine, assiten, assieleven and assitwelve.

Grimsley is going for a 3PEAT .... But not according to the NCHSAA. NOBODY will be crowned a State Champion in 4A LAST YEAR... wtf

This is just a small sample of the idiotic things that this poorly run organization does!

Get Que and her rogue crew outta there.

Reactions: f-ball-ace
Basically an overview of the zoom cast.

Que thinks she can see the Future, Therefore high school sports are doomed... It's like her and her people are the only ones who can run an organization.

Give them a chance...geez

Que thinks she can see the Future, Therefore high school sports are doomed... It's like her and her people are the only ones who can run an organization.

Give them a chance...geez
They are just currently running it better than 49 other states. If you know anyone in another state that deal with large scale sports, they will tell you NC is the model. Other states wish they were in NCHSAAs current state. Whether you like who runs it or not, unless you actually talk to others in a similar business, you not ever going to understand.

They are just currently running it better than 49 other states. If you know anyone in another state that deal with large scale sports, they will tell you NC is the model. Other states wish they were in NCHSAAs current state. Whether you like who runs it or not, unless you actually talk to others in a similar business, you not ever going to understand.
The TSSAA does a better job

Well they have 6 classes in football and have for a long time. Got 3 classes for the private schools. Smart enough to realize you don’t need 6 classes for other sports. They have no split conferences. If you have to travel so be it. When there was a lot small privates schools playing against the public’s before they all went into Division 2 winning state championship they made a multiplier rule for them since they had a unfair advantage.

New Bern being stripped of it's 4-A State Championship by the NCHSAA and NOT awarding the 4-A Title to Grimsley is asinine, assiten, assieleven and assitwelve.

Grimsley is going for a 3PEAT .... But not according to the NCHSAA. NOBODY will be crowned a State Champion in 4A LAST YEAR... wtf

This is just a small sample of the idiotic things that this poorly run organization does!

NCHSAA did not strip NewBern, they did it to themselves. Did you even read the allegations against them. Damn, teachers and administrators changing grades.

Don’t tell me it happens all the time, lame excuse.

Well they have 6 classes in football and have for a long time. Got 3 classes for the private schools. Smart enough to realize you don’t need 6 classes for other sports. They have no split conferences. If you have to travel so be it. When there was a lot small privates schools playing against the public’s before they all went into Division 2 winning state championship they made a multiplier rule for them since they had a unfair advantage.
Sounds like the NCHSAA model going forward is more similar to what you describe, at leasr as far as classifications. In North Carolina, the schools in the membership make those decision, even if by default by not voting.
I honestly don’t know anything about the Tennesee model. Do the schools there make those decisions too?

Sounds like the NCHSAA model going forward is more similar to what you describe, at leasr as far as classifications. In North Carolina, the schools in the membership make those decision, even if by default by not voting.
I honestly don’t know anything about the Tennesee model. Do the schools there make those decisions too?
If that’s what you saying from what the poster said the NCHSAA isn’t the gold standard for the other 49 states

Reactions: f-ball-ace
If that’s what you saying from what the poster said the NCHSAA isn’t the gold standard for the other 49 st
Look up TSSSA budget sheets and see if they are anywhere close to NC and you will see who is running a better program.

Is that the NCHSAAs fault they havent had 6 classes? Coaches and ADs did not want it. NCHSAA has wanted more classifications for years. As far as travel, the ADs don't want to travel far. The schools control the NCHSAA through votes. Can't give them something they don't want.

Look up TSSSA budget sheets and see if they are anywhere close to NC and you will see who is running a better program.

Is that the NCHSAAs fault they havent had 6 classes? Coaches and ADs did not want it. NCHSAA has wanted more classifications for years. As far as travel, the ADs don't want to travel far. The schools control the NCHSAA through votes. Can't give them something they don't want.
So it’s all about how much money is in the bank account and not the schools. Got it

Reactions: FreedomAlum
NCHSAA went to the schools about 14 years ago and recommend a football alignment and one for other sports. They were also interested in looking at less state titles but more classifications. The schools were heavily against it which was shocking to me and to the NCHSAA admin.

Grimsley lost 40-28.
The prior weeks Millbrook lost 35-27 and Jordan 38-33.

Why should Grimsley be champion? It's vacated. Just like the NCAA. Right rule.

NCHSAA went to the schools about 14 years ago and recommend a football alignment and one for other sports. They were also interested in looking at less state titles but more classifications. The schools were heavily against it which was shocking to me and to the NCHSAA admin.
People not getting that simple concept. The schools are making the decisions that their argument against the NCHSAA is all about. How they don't get that, I just don't know.

People not getting that simple concept. The schools are making the decisions that their argument against the NCHSAA is all about. How they don't get that, I just don't know.
My only point is the TSSAA is ran better from your post. How you not get that I just don’t know

I used the two charters I have most recently been visited. The schools nearest Graystone (Albemarle and North Stanly) and Uwharrie (Asheboro and SW Randolph) have one school each that is not close and the other is within 15% of the Caucasian enrollment.

I know there are some charter schools that have a very high percentage of Black students. North East Prep (charter) is 48% Caucasian. The nearest high schools (NW Edgecombe and Tarboro) are less than 15% Caucasian.

Transportation is not provided by charter schools unless some have taken that on recently in a limited setup. Lack of transportation would expectedly result in the school mirroring the local community more due to logistics.

I know many parents that have went the charter route and they have their reasons. It is educational and safety with everyone of them. That decision is based on real and sometimes perceived factors but it is their choice and decision.

I am done with the racial component discussion on charters.
Good post. Even the charter school groups will admit that the Hispanic population, and kids with special needs are underrepresented. With an inconsistent busing plan there’s a lack of socioeconomic diversity.

Why the hell would Grimsley get the 4A title? They still lost the game. Michigan didn't get the title after Louisville beat them in the championship in 2013. It's just gets vacated. If I played for Grimsley, I wouldn't even want the ring after getting beat like that. No one like a participation trophy.

I’ll tell you why in the Hell …they should be awarded the State Championship… because other States do it.
A State Championship should NEVER be vacated… the team that advances the furtherest should be awarded the Title.

Never be scared to change old and outdated rules…. Be a Pioneer and make things better for kids. All these schools play an entire season to make it to the last weekend/game for… nobody to be crowned…hell naw…

Prime Example below: Great Job Texas!

https://starlocalmedia.com/mckinney...cle_dfeb3266-5953-11ed-ba3a-778263df62cc.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ecu424
I’ll tell you why in the Hell …they should be awarded the State Championship… because other States do it.
A State Championship should NEVER be vacated… the team that advances the furtherest should be awarded the Title.

Never be scared to change old and outdated rules…. Be a Pioneer and make things better for kids. All these schools play an entire season to make it to the last weekend/game for… nobody to be crowned…hell naw…

https://starlocalmedia.com/mckinney...cle_dfeb3266-5953-11ed-ba3a-778263df62cc.html
Eh. You think they should change the rules, others like myself don't think they should. I guess we're at an impasse.

I disagree.

Please contact the NCAA to give Michigan the title that Louisville forfeited or Wichita State.

I disagree.

Please contact the NCAA to give Michigan the title that Louisville forfeited or Wichita State.
The NCHSAA owes no one an apology or explanation for this vacated championship.

Someone at New Bern owes all 6 teams they defeated in the 2022 postseason an apology as they unfairly took away their chances of winning a state championship.

Grimsley should be mad just like 5 other NB victims. But giving them what amounts to being a participation trophy? No unless you are in Texas.

The NCHSAA owes no one an apology or explanation for this vacated championship.

Someone at New Bern owes all 6 teams they defeated in the 2022 postseason an apology as they unfairly took away their chances of winning a state championship.

Grimsley should be mad just like 5 other NB victims. But giving them what amounts to being a participation trophy? No unless you are in Texas.
Note, I support the NCHSAA rule. If I played for Grimsley do not think I would really want it.

I agree that the people that pulled this fraud victimized (I hate to use that word but in this case it is just) the opponents of New Bern.

How can this be legal???? Can be investigated and cannot even seek legal counsel???? Is this true?

Why can't traditional public schools be given the tools to handle a different approach and to meet these special needs? Why can't traditional public schools in general be given the keys to the Ferrari like charters instead of the keys to the Fiesta?

No one has answered the question as to why charters should be given a different set of rules while traditional schools are handcuffed,

Thunder I haven’t read this complete thread, so someone else may have already addressed your question.
You answered your own question. The reason Charter Schools exist is because Traditional Public Schools won’t do what is necessary to educate and prepare children for adulthood.
My wife taught in the public school system for more than 20 years. She and I disagree on what’s best for the students. I believe a kid should be able to go to whichever school provides them the best education. That should be all students, not just those from wealthy families. There will always be disadvantaged students and those that fall through the cracks. Until discipline is restored in public schools, I would do everything possible to get a child into a charter or private school.
Teachers in many public school settings spend more time dealing with a hand full of trouble makers that teaching class. Change that and I’ll gladly withdraw my support of Charter and private schools.
It all starts at the top. National, State, Local then individual school. Way more steps and people involved than is necessary.

So why do you think people are leaving public schools? And give me something other than people want choices.
Parents are pulling kids from public schools for many reasons including the lack of discipline and the continuous drop in academic standards. I know for a fact that in many instances teachers teach to a test. In other words memorization skills as opposed to actual learning material. I know there are other reasons but these two stand out in my mind.

Parents are pulling kids from public schools for many reasons including the lack of discipline and the continuous drop in academic standards. I know for a fact that in many instances teachers teach to a test. In other words memorization skills as opposed to actual learning material. I know there are other reasons but these two stand out in my mind.

So who is responsible for that???

You know the same ones giving charter schools endless rope.

If charter schools had the same restrictions LEAs do they do would face the same issues.

But no one can answer why there are 2 different playbooks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT