ADVERTISEMENT

Overhauling the NCHSAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollo_loco

Nov 2, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Good morning from Raleigh. For those who may not be aware late last night the House voted not only to (finally) pass a state budget, but also on a bill that will strip the NCHSAA of much of it's governing authority over high school athletics and place that power in the hands of superintendent of public instruction and members of the NC Board of Education. The Senate just a few minutes ago voted in favor of the bill and it will now go to the Governor.

Here is the final version of the bill: https://webservices.ncleg.gov/ViewBillDocument/2023/7356/0/S452-PCCS45372-TU-2

And here is a summary article: https://www.highschoolot.com/story/...erhaul-nchsaa-senate-gives-approval/21060920/

Reactions: eastern
There you go all you NCHSAA haters, wait till the government gets ahold of this mess and see what kind of cluster we have. I’m certainly not the biggest fan of NCHSSA, but certainly don’t need politicians involved. Policies will change depending on who’s in power.

Well this bill makes no sense. House Bill 91 in 2021 made it were the nchsaa commissioner has to report to the state board of education as oversight because they felt that one person the nchsaa commissioner had to much power now they want with this bill to take oversight etc from the board and give it again to one person an elected official the superintendent of public instruction.
Yes there's issues with the nchsaa for sure but yeah the answer is government involved even more in a private organization that's been around since 1913 that will solve everything. What could go wrong?🙃

Doesn't the NCHSAA have $42 million dollars?
I think it was something like last time I looked a couple years ago when they passed the other bipartisan bill where they now have to work with the state board of education in hopes of more transparenty of how the money is spent but now they're wanting to put in the hands basically of one elected official.
My question is why was this bill rushed though in the middle of the night with very little heads up to a lot of the state representatives?

I think it was something like last time I looked a couple years ago when they passed the other bipartisan bill where they now have to work with the state board of education in hopes of more transparenty of how the money is spent but now they're wanting to put in the hands basically of one elected official.
My question is why was this bill rushed though in the middle of the night with very little heads up to a lot of the state representatives?
Because the two or three people in each chamber who make all of the decisions and control everything said so. We don’t have a legislature of the people. We have a handful of power crazy autocratic would be dictators.

For the same reason that the house under Pelosi did it.

If state officials are using the logic that a federal official did this so we are doing it, they aren't fit to serve. Which indeed they aren't fit to serve. Stop letting what's happening in DC dictate your state and local decisions! Unqualified morons that cause way more damage to everything are getting elected for this reason.

Meanwhile YOUR NC tax dollars are going to private schools now. Money that could have been given to teachers or public school districts.

Add to that making it harder for the public to know what they are doing up there in addition to giving total power to some committee called GovOps that apparently can investigate anyone, anytime, anywhere.

The change would grant immense new powers to a state oversight committee, authorizing it to investigate state and local governments as well as private companies and charities. People who the committee feels haven't been fully cooperative could be charged with a crime. And anyone under investigation would face strict confidentiality rules — unable to talk to their coworkers, the media or anyone else about the legislature's actions, critics say.

When you have either side with a Super Majority, its bad, its really bad as they can basically do what they want and over ride any veto by the Governor. Currently they are playing us like pawns on a chess board and people keep voting these people into office. The way they also have NC gerrymandered, its actually hard for them to lose an election as long as the people continue to vote blindly for whatever party.

When you have either side with a Super Majority, its bad, its really bad as they can basically do what they want and over ride any veto by the Governor. Currently they are playing us like pawns on a chess board and people keep voting these people into office. The way they also have NC gerrymandered, its actually hard for them to loose an election as long as the people continue to vote blindly for whatever party.

Let's not forget how they ended up with the supermajority. It didn't happen during the election.

Yep, and last I saw on that, it was planned from the beginning, right? That should be illegal as well, someone running in a Dem district as a Dem rep, yet knowing all along if she won, she was going to switch parties. That is low, really low. She basically spit in the face of all the people that voted for her.

Yep, and last I saw on that, it was planned from the beginning, right? That should be illegal as well, someone running in a Dem district as a Dem rep, yet knowing all along if she won, she was going to switch parties. That is low, really low. She basically spit in the face of all the people that voted for her.

If you want to change parties, you should have to resign from the postion in which you were elected, and not be eligible to hold office again until the next election cycle.

Charging teachers that don't comply with the bs parents bill of rights, deciding what information that should be public record is indeed public record, if under investigation not being able to criticize the legislature, one side making all the decisions, gerrymandering to stay in power, flipping an elected official 6 months after the election to get a super majority.

It's not a "mainstream media" talking point.

It's time to stop with the bs and call this nonsense what it is.

Reactions: NCprepbball
Charging teachers that don't comply with the bs parents bill of rights, deciding what information that should be public record is indeed public record, if under investigation not being able to criticize the legislature, one side making all the decisions, gerrymandering to stay in power, flipping an elected official 6 months after the election to get a super majority.

It's not a "mainstream media" talking point.

It's time to stop with the bs and call this nonsense what it is.
and none of that has nothing to do with the NCHSAA decision. As a parent I don’t want teachers talking to my kid about stuff that has nothing to do with education. You just described what both parties do. They all fight and claw to have power. Why do you think the Oliver Anthony song was so popular. He was talking about all of them.

Last edited:
Well they are stripping power of a private organization to give it to pretty much 1 person in the government.

Do we really want Catherine Truitt running sports??

Reactions: REWhitley
So heelz some of you say people vote for a party and that’s what’s wrong yet you had a dem elected who changed to republican yet there is outrage that she would change “parties”? She is still the same person so why are you upset? Truth is some of you vote for Dems and they aren’t the dem party of yesteryear. I loved my public high school that I went to and still do but folks should have school choice for their kids. If the public school is going to teach woke ideologies and I don’t want that for my kid I should have options period. We need to teach Math, English, History and Science in school. Not sexuality and race relations.

When you have either side with a Super Majority, its bad, its really bad as they can basically do what they want and over ride any veto by the Governor. Currently they are playing us like pawns on a chess board and people keep voting these people into office. The way they also have NC gerrymandered, its actually hard for them to lose an election as long as the people continue to vote blindly for whatever party.
So I’m waiting as to why you are upset if it’s not about the party? The lady is still the same person. We should vote for policies not parties. I can just see it chaps your hide that she left the dem party that you obviously are part of.

Reactions: BK13T-$
So I’m waiting as to why you are upset if it’s not about the party? The lady is still the same person. We should vote for policies not parties. I can just see it chaps your hide that she left the dem party that you obviously are part of.
Actually, she’s not. Did you see her website that proclaimed her dedication to ensuring abortion rights with no restriction? Took that down the day she changed parties. She won‘t be reelected in that district. Wonder what she received to change parties?
And I’m unaffiliated.

Her vote is what counts not her party. She could be dem and vote with the republicans and it would still be the same result. She didn’t have to join the party to vote with them. The argument is stupid

Actually, she’s not. Did you see her website that proclaimed her dedication to ensuring abortion rights with no restriction? Took that down the day she changed parties. She won‘t be reelected in that district. Wonder what she received to change parties?
And I’m unaffiliated.

My guess is when they redistrict, she'll be safe somehow. Oh and redistricting now, all being kept in the darkness of night.

Reactions: ocdavis31
You can claim to be unaffiliated but if you vote dem every time youre dem
I have never voted a straight ticket in my almost fifty years of voting. One of my best friends is a Republican legislator. But, in moments of candor, he will tell you that they are out of control and power crazy.

I know every time you post political it’s always left so call it what it is. Be honest with yourself. I vote republican but it’s not about a personality or a party for me. The policies of the Republican Party are in line with my beliefs and values. That’s why I vote that way

Also the Republican Party are more in line with what is written in the mayflower compact which was written by our founders. My how the dem party has strayed from that. My entire family was and has been democrat for generations but like I said before it’s not the same party. It no longer fits our values

I know every time you post political it’s always left so call it what it is. Be honest with yourself. I vote republican but it’s not about a personality or a party for me. The policies of the Republican Party are in line with my beliefs and values. That’s why I vote that way
That’s great and what you should do. It’s not so simple for me. I agree with some of their policies, but refuse to accept their methods of power grabbing. If you have insight into the process on the state level, you know that even many of the legislators disagree, but are afraid of being primaried. One of their gubernatorial candidates summed it up best…”they peddle anger and fear”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT