ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA press conference discusses new state law overhauling role of association 10/3/2013

Just wondering what would make Mangrum a great Superintendent. Is it the letter beside her name. Looking at her Twitter account I wouldn’t want her. You keep saying you don’t want all this political stuff in Athletics and School Boards but her Twitter is nothing but political. Covid showed what a lot of School Boards were allowing to be taught. She wants unionize the North Carolina Teachers into the AFT Union where Randi Weingarten would be there leader. We saw what she did to the Country. She isn’t political at all.

What did Covid show was being taught?

Do you not think teachers deserve bargaining rights? Of course joining these associations right now is a moot point until that's allowed.

Mangrum has been a huge advocate for teachers and public schools.

What on her X bothers you so much? The fact she's reposting tweets calling out religious schools getting public funds?

What did Covid show was being taught?

Do you not think teachers deserve bargaining rights? Of course joining these associations right now is a moot point until that's allowed.

Mangrum has been a huge advocate for teachers and public schools.

What on her X bothers you so much? The fact she's reposting tweets calling out religious schools getting public funds?
North Carolina teachers already have a union NEA union which is the largest teachers union but you are so informed you already knew that. Lol on the Covid ? For someone so informed.

North Carolina teachers already have a union NEA union which is the largest teachers union but you are so informed you already knew that. Lol on the Covid ? For someone so informed.
N.C. Association of Educators is what's in place! NC Teachers are not in a union! Its hard to explain, it kind of is a union but you are not required to join. Its more of a membership you can join and pay fees.

Reactions: Bill28714
N.C. Association of Educators is what's in place! NC Teachers are not in a union! Its hard to explain, it kind of is a union but you are not required to join. Its more of a membership you can join and pay fees.
Which is affiliated with NEA.

It's an association that really doesn't do much of anything other than advocate and we see how well that goes.

You didn't answer my other questions.

It's an association that really doesn't do much of anything other than advocate and we see how well that goes.

You didn't answer my other questions.
Why answer a ? When you know the answer on what was exposed during the Covid shutdowns in schools

Yes but not really a union as much as its a membership.

He can't grasp the concept. It goes against his talking points. They can call it a union all they want but true unions have bargaining rights. And bargaining rights are bad. Because we all should work for the man and love it. Who cares about good pay, safe working conditions, and incentives.

Last edited:
He can't grasp the concept. It goes against his talking points. They can call it a union all they want but true unions have bargaining rights. And bargaining rights are bad. Because we all should work for the man and love it. Who cares about good pay, safe working conditions, and incentives.
Unions have bad in ways and good in ways. They always asking for more money for the workers and that gets the unions more money and our prices go up on all goods and the tax on the things we purchase goes up. It is a never-ending cycle !

Let’s click on the join us from the website. Oh it takes you to the NEA website to join.

I am happy to see all the responses to this thread helping me to understand what is going on. I don't keep up with these things anymore enough to understand them. of course, there are pros and cons to everything, but I can read it all and set my mind to what I agree with.

Unions have bad in ways and good in ways. They always asking for more money for the workers and that gets the unions more money and our prices go up on all goods and the tax on the things we purchase goes up. It is a never-ending cycle !
yeah but you don’t want this being the leader of your union or any part of
Randi Weingarten

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Let’s click on the join us from the website. Oh it takes you to the NEA website to join.

The North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) is educators, students, activists, workers, parents, neighbors, and friends who believe in opportunity for all students and in the power of public education to transform lives and create a more just and inclusive society.

Its not a Union it is an Association! You can be a member you pay a membership fee. I repeat its not a Union trust me I would know! Anyone can join. Just like the NCHSAA its a membership and schools and officials pay there membership fees to be a part of it.

Reactions: REWhitley
The North Carolina Association of Educators (NCAE) is educators, students, activists, workers, parents, neighbors, and friends who believe in opportunity for all students and in the power of public education to transform lives and create a more just and inclusive society.

Its not a Union it is an Association! You can be a member you pay a membership fee. I repeat its not a Union trust me I would know! Anyone can join. Just like the NCHSAA its a membership and schools and officials pay there membership fees to be a part of it.
True. Been in education for over 30 years and have to explain this every year. NCAE is an association (if you're a member of the NRA, you're in an association, not a union). Both push for change/upholding ideas, beliefs, etc. South of the Mason-Dixon line you find Right to Work states which have passed “right to work” laws, which ban union-security agreements. These laws make it much easier to fire employees than it does in unionized states. Now, the NEA can "represent" NCAE members/beliefs/standpoints, etc., but no educators HAVE to pay or be forced into paying union dues in order to receive benefits that may come from the NEA's "push." Several years ago there was a "walkout" of educators who gathered in Raleigh to protest pay, working conditions, and other needs. Whereas unionized educators would have received union benefits for walking out, those NC educators used leave days. . . and really accomplished nothing. They didn't "walk out" as was reported in the press; they used personal leave days (which at that time cost them a $50 deduction from their paycheck).

True. Been in education for over 30 years and have to explain this every year. NCAE is an association (if you're a member of the NRA, you're in an association, not a union). Both push for change/upholding ideas, beliefs, etc. South of the Mason-Dixon line you find Right to Work states which have passed “right to work” laws, which ban union-security agreements. These laws make it much easier to fire employees than it does in unionized states. Now, the NEA can "represent" NCAE members/beliefs/standpoints, etc., but no educators HAVE to pay or be forced into paying union dues in order to receive benefits that may come from the NEA's "push." Several years ago there was a "walkout" of educators who gathered in Raleigh to protest pay, working conditions, and other needs. Whereas unionized educators would have received union benefits for walking out, those NC educators used leave days. . . and really accomplished nothing. They didn't "walk out" as was reported in the press; they used personal leave days (which at that time cost them a $50 deduction from their paycheck).
So if you do choose to join you can get union representation from the NEA but it probably isn’t great. So some teachers actually might be part of the NEA in North Carolina

I’m not anti union I’m actually a Teamster. You aren’t forced to join the Teamsters Union either.

So if you do choose to join you can get union representation from the NEA but it probably isn’t great. So some teachers actually might be part of the NEA in North Carolina

I’m not anti union I’m actually a Teamster. You aren’t forced to join the Teamsters Union either.
Dude it's not a real union it's a membership!!!!! Move on!!!!!

Anyone that calls the NEA a Union is just plan and simply ignorant of the facts. Ignorant as opposed to stupid.
I wish it were a union so it could help stop some of the stupidity coming out of school boards like Iredell Statesville, but it is not a union. One of its largest functions is to help provide legal council to/for teachers whom are whipped silly by school boards, administrators or parents for any of the multiply claims that they can think up.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Anyone that calls the NEA a Union is just plan and simply ignorant of the facts. Ignorant as opposed to stupid.
I wish it were a union so it could help stop some of the stupidity coming out of school boards like Iredell Statesville, but it is not a union. One of its largest functions is to help provide legal council to/for teachers whom are whipped silly by school boards, administrators or parents for any of the multiply claims that they can think up.
Sounds like the NEA needs to change mission slogan and what they really do then. If you Google them it’s doesn’t sound like what you are describing. The ole Google needs to fix this

Association does look like would be the proper word for the NCAE but it doesn't matter what you call an organization in North Carolina it can't work as what at least I would consider a Union because one of the main purposes of a Union is collective bargaining with the employer and through the Union fees pay the employees though a small amount if they go on strike like what's going on in the auto industry right now but in NC as a Right to Work state under North Carolina chapter 95 Article 12...
(Units of Government and Labor Unions, Trade Unions, and Labor Organizations, and Public Employee Strikes.)
both are illegal in NC.

Sorry for the confusion. No, in NC and other Rights to work states, we can't get personal union representation. What I meant is the the Union NEA pushes for teachers around the country, union or not. Their actions come by their pushing agendas for the UNION members. Non-union states/teachers may benefit from those actions as a "side-effect." In short, no, the NEA does not represent NC teachers as a union entity. The best analogy is to go back the NRA example. I may be a gun owner and want to keep the right to XXXXX in NC. The NRA pushes for changes at the federal level for their NRA members. I benefit if they are successful even though I am not a member of the NRA (but remember, the NRA is NOT a union. Just an example of a "side-effect" benefit). I hope that is a bit clearer.

Answer truthfully: can the NCAE lawfully strike?

If so, they are a union. If no, then it’s a watered down association.

Reactions: btango
See Old Mountaineer‘s post above.
I’m confused by the post by saying it’s illegal to strike in North Carolina. I know for fact Teamsters in NC in 1997 were on strike walking the picket line.

I’m confused by the post by saying it’s illegal to strike in North Carolina. I know for fact Teamsters in NC in 1997 were on strike walking the picket line.
The exception involves “public” employees. Generally speaking, NC law prohibits most government employees from striking. Thus the use of personal leave time when the teachers picketed some time back. Couldn’t be called a strike.
Certainly other union members can, and sometimes do, strike in NC.

There have been others. UAW repping Freightliner and the United Steel Workers for Alcoa employees. To have a strike officially recognized by the National Labor Relations Board would require a union to represent the employees. Double check me but think that is the rule on that.

Last edited:
There have been others. UAW repping Freightliner and the United Steel Workers for Alcoa employees. To have a strike officially recognized by the National Labor Relations Board would require a union to represent the owners. Double check me but think that is the rule on that.
Workers can actually strike without belonging to a formal union. The employer can’t retaliate legally.
However, as stated before, that right doesn’t apply to most government employees in NC.

Sorry I didn't make that more clear here's the section of the law on strikes....
§ 95-98.1. Strikes by public employees prohibited.
Strikes by public employees are hereby declared illegal and against the public policy of this
State. No person holding a position either full-or part-time by appointment or employment with
the State of North Carolina or in any county, city, town or other political subdivision of the State
of North Carolina, or in any agency of any of them, shall willfully participate in a strike by public
employees. (1981, c. 958, s. 1

Public employees...
Individuals who work for government agencies are public sector employees. They may be teachers, emergency responders, administrators or other professionals.

Mangrum would be a great Superintendent and honestly I don't think Truitt has been as bad as I feared(much better than Mark Johnson), but I too would question Mangrum's ability to lead athletics, but I think she would surround herself with people that would give sound guidance. I hope Truitt does the same.

Truitt had a golden opportunity to gain my vote until she gave a bs answer about how traditional and charter schools co-exist. She has done nothing since then to earn my vote.

Neither Mangrum or Truitt should lead athletics. The difference is that Mangrum would have an open dialogue with the NCHSAA while Truitt would act as a tool and receive marching orders from the NC legislature.

Truitt had a golden opportunity to gain my vote until she gave a bs answer about how traditional and charter schools co-exist. She has done nothing since then to earn my vote.

Neither Mangrum or Truitt should lead athletics. The difference is that Mangrum would have an open dialogue with the NCHSAA while Truitt would act as a tool and receive marching orders from the NC legislature.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Truitt seems to have been absent and not doing too much currently. The party in charge doesn't want open dialogue. My way or no way. Can't convince me otherwise. Open dialogue scares people.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT