ADVERTISEMENT

Will They Ever Settle The Charter Parochial School Issue

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC

Language that could move charter, parochial schools up several classes removed from bill.​

Tags:
Posted June 27, 2023 5:04 p.m. EDT
Updated June 27, 2023 5:10 p.m. EDT

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
They have to play up 1 class? I thought I saw that had been proposed or put in place or something before this bill was introduced.

They have to play up 1 class? I thought I saw that had been proposed or put in place or something before this bill was introduced.
This bill wasn't the one to bump them up a class. That was SB 636, which was a bill about NCHSAA oversight. That bill hasn't had any movement since last month, but it looks like the most recent version takes out the bump up provision for that.

This is HB 219, which is about general charter school regulation, and the proposal had been to make charter schools play in the same class as the zoned school for the highest percentage of their students. So a charter school with 100 students in Richmond County would have been 4A. Or if one had 600-700 students but was in a rural area and had bled the local rural school dry, they'd still be 1A. I don't think anybody would call me a charter school advocate, but it was a dumb provision.

Reactions: BlueVols and btango
I called it.
So charters will be 1a?
If so, and we have 7 classes in football it will be around 400 and under.
Probably 62 teams with around 30 something playing football.
Here's another issue. How many new charters will have teams and how many will grow past 400 between now and 24 months from now?

The only thing really left to decide is 7a for football or not. Then we can start breaking it down relatively close and see who's in what class.

This bill wasn't the one to bump them up a class. That was SB 636, which was a bill about NCHSAA oversight. That bill hasn't had any movement since last month, but it looks like the most recent version takes out the bump up provision for that.

This is HB 219, which is about general charter school regulation, and the proposal had been to make charter schools play in the same class as the zoned school for the highest percentage of their students. So a charter school with 100 students in Richmond County would have been 4A. Or if one had 600-700 students but was in a rural area and had bled the local rural school dry, they'd still be 1A. I don't think anybody would call me a charter school advocate, but it was a dumb provision.

I didn't see your post until after I posted.
So the bill to move up one class is still alive?
That bill sucks also. Hope it's removed. Under 7a it won't be to bad though if it happens.
It would push the 40 or so schools above 400 down into 1a. That would probably be around 470 or so . Maybe more.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I didn't see your post until after I posted.
So the bill to move up one class is still alive?
That bill sucks also. Hope it's removed. Under 7a it won't be to bad though if it happens.
It would push the 40 or so schools above 400 down into 1a. That would probably be around 470 or so . Maybe more.
It's still out there, but it doesn't have the language in it to bump them up a "conference" any more.

The bill in this thread would've bumped them up to the same class as whatever school the highest number of their students would have gone to. So if a charter school with 500 students in Gaston County took kids from all the big schools in that county, but took just a few more from 1A Cherryville, that school would be 1A. But if a tiny charter school with like 100 kids popped up in Old Fort or something and all their kids would have otherwise been at 4A McDowell, they would have been 4A. It just didn't make a ton of sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$
No but the bill to bump them up a class doesn't either. It will hurt 2a and 1a.
I still like a small multipler. Only a few charters would go up and a few Traditionals down. I don't like taking 40 from 1 a and 2a all at once. With 7 classes it wouldn't be as extreme though.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I like the idea of a multiplier. Bumping a small urban charter school up five or six classes while a rural charter school of the same enrollment only gets bumped up one or two classes just isn't fair. Some charter schools are so small that I doubt that they will make little or any impact in athletics. Thus, a multiplier would not affect them too much. It would greatly affect the larger and more successful charters as well as the parochial schools. Seems like charters will clog up 1A and 2A in a seven class set up, regardless of being bumped up a class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT