ADVERTISEMENT

Charter schools not happy

sammyk

Oct 26, 2001
with being made to play up. I am for having state wide choice then you would not need charter schools but anyway this is from HSOT

I believe this total Bushleague and isnt fair and NO way a Team with less then 700 students n only who have 25 total player in a program should be playing 7A or whatever and playing schools who have 3,000+ and 120 player total in their program ..... I mean Why u think LN and Mooresville doesnt play PLP in any sport but maybe basketball

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$
with being made to play up. I am for having state wide choice then you would not need charter schools but anyway this is from HSOT

I dont like State wide choice personally - AZ deal with so much Recruiting because its basically open enrollment and kids move on a daily bases and some hurt from it n some gain from it and I remember some parents were going to sue AIA bc they tried to block some kids from transferring

The coach in the article has a point. Unfortunately it’s other sports like basketball and wrestling that have created the backlash. And not all charter schools are created equally, academically or athletically.

The coach in the article has a point. Unfortunately it’s other sports like basketball and wrestling that have created the backlash. And not all charter schools are created equally, academically or athletically.
I agree Most charter school only good in maybe 1-2 sports like say baseball n basketball but all charter school different because some dont offer all sports and whatever the case and to my knowledge there only maybe a handful of charter school who make very good playoff runs most dont have the athletic success because most are focus on academics

I believe this total Bushleague and isnt fair and NO way a Team with less then 700 students n only who have 25 total player in a program should be playing 7A or whatever and playing schools who have 3,000+ and 120 player total in their program ..... I mean Why u think LN and Mooresville doesnt play PLP in any sport but maybe basketball

Charter 700 isn't the same as a public with 700.
Not even close. Enrollment worked good in 1975 not now. To many variables.

This is true but remember: the NCHSAA tried to address this in the last realignment by factoring in things like free and reduced lunch to try and make things fairer. The idea being that a school with 1000 students but with only 5% getting assistance was different than another school with 1000 students but with 30% getting assistance (and I think there's something to that because the poorer school is going to have problems getting kids out for sports compared to the wealthier school probably in the same way that charters will be able to get kids out more easily than traditional public schools). People on here still complained about the way that realignment was done.

This is true but remember: the NCHSAA tried to address this in the last realignment by factoring in things like free and reduced lunch to try and make things fairer. The idea being that a school with 1000 students but with only 5% getting assistance was different than another school with 1000 students but with 30% getting assistance (and I think there's something to that because the poorer school is going to have problems getting kids out for sports compared to the wealthier school probably in the same way that charters will be able to get kids out more easily than traditional public schools). People on here still complained about the way that realignment was done.
Good post

Reactions: bigdadd11103

I liked the free lunch/Cup standings but not for football.
Poor kids can play football just fine.
The other sports yes.

your right it isnt the same , Charter school go through a lottery so if your far down the list guess what u aint going unlike Public schools.

Here a Quote from someone I know who works in Charter School :
I keep seeing people say that basketball and wrestling are the problem. That charter schools dominate.

This is absolutely false.

Only 4 times in history has a charter school won a men’s basketball state championship.

WS Prep has won the most 1A basketball state championships in the last 12 years. They are NOT a charter school. They are a public magnet school and will remain a 1A school as this change does not impact them.

No charter school has ever won a women’s basketball state championship. Bishop McGuinness has won the most the past 12 years. They are a private Catholic school.

Only 1 time has a charter school won a team state wrestling championship.

So for all the complaints, it doesn’t add up.

I think People actually needs to be Educated on Charter schools and there Dynamics before we complain because Seem like everyone has 0 clue how a Charter school runs and such most charter schools focus on Academics

I use to not know anything about How Charter schools used to work but Then i started asking questions n all and learning from those who have that knowledge

Uhwarrie won state championships at wrestling in it's first few years. It took Robbinsville decades to get to that same level.

Some of those wrestlers UCA got are lucky at the lottery I guess.

Reactions: Champ_24 and Mbulld
Uhwarrie won state championships at wrestling in it's first few years. It took Robbinsville decades to get to that same level.

Some of those wrestlers UCA got are lucky at the lottery I guess.
Ok and ? But it’s not like they are dominant in every sport and all like I said most private school , charter schools and even church based school usually are only good in some sports but not all

And Uwarrie recruiting was bad when Mooresville played them back in like 2014 and that’s why that said coach got fired and also If a player isn’t started somewhere else then I ain’t fault kid going to a charter school or private school or even another public school get a better education and actually start.

Also How is other programs for baseball in that area if Uwarrie the best then why not go there ? I mean It’s just like How Hickory used to be the place to be for football and basketball then it’s changed to Freedom and even in Lincoln county Lincolnton should be School everyone wanted to be at now it’s East Lincoln who running the show in that county - I mean YOU go to where you can win and play period no matter what type of school It is

Also In Case of PLP - Most of there player who played last year would of been backup in any of there CLT “Home” based schools that’s why they transferred so they could Start and have more playing time

Open Enrollment is just as Bad as Charter schools I mean look at Carver and other who been put in basement so Anyone asking for Open Enrollment or School Choice for State Wide is Dumbest thing I have ever seen and Like I said in AZ Open Enrollment is 10x crazier then here and like I said before Parent even tried sue bc AIA tried to stop them from transferring so I don’t want NC to turn into AZ which it’s kinda turning that way bc of Political BS that going on with NCHSAA and NCGA

Reactions: Champ_24
You'll never get everyone satisfied. Some rational heads need to come together and put forth some common sense solutions instead of all this over correction.

Ok and ? But it’s not like they are dominant in every sport and all like I said most private school , charter schools and even church based school usually are only good in some sports but not all

And Uwarrie recruiting was bad when Mooresville played them back in like 2014 and that’s why that said coach got fired and also If a player isn’t started somewhere else then I ain’t fault kid going to a charter school or private school or even another public school get a better education and actually start.

Also How is other programs for baseball in that area if Uwarrie the best then why not go there ? I mean It’s just like How Hickory used to be the place to be for football and basketball then it’s changed to Freedom and even in Lincoln county Lincolnton should be School everyone wanted to be at now it’s East Lincoln who running the show in that county - I mean YOU go to where you can win and play period no matter what type of school It is

Also In Case of PLP - Most of there player who played last year would of been backup in any of there CLT “Home” based schools that’s why they transferred so they could Start and have more playing time

Open Enrollment is just as Bad as Charter schools I mean look at Carver and other who been put in basement so Anyone asking for Open Enrollment or School Choice for State Wide is Dumbest thing I have ever seen and Like I said in AZ Open Enrollment is 10x crazier then here and like I said before Parent even tried sue bc AIA tried to stop them from transferring so I don’t want NC to turn into AZ which it’s kinda turning that way bc of Political BS that going on with NCHSAA and NCGA

I agree on open enrollment but that it

I'd rather be on the bench than transfer to play.
That's the mindset in western north Carolina for the most part.

It's not backups transferring to Uhwarrie.
The kid they got last year was one of the best in the state and just happen to be in the weight class uhwarrie needed.
Lucky athletes that play lottery at charters for sure

The kid they got last year was one of the best in the state and just happen to be in the weight class uhwarrie needed.
Lottery for charter schools only happen if near capacity. Probably the same for magnets. The original school I tried to get my kid in starting in 7th grade only had like 60 new slots for 7th grade the next year. There was 340+ students trying to get in that grade alone. After the 60 spots were drawn in a auditorium, they started the wait list for the remainder of the people that didn't get the 60 incase someone changed their mind or moved and they went in that order. Waited all summer as the #3 on wait list and didn't get in. Went to a closer Charter school and got right in the day we went to the school with no lottery because they were well below capacity. So it really depends on if the school is 100% full or not.

Reactions: beamer24

Agree to disagree but I think your mindset of not able to start is crazy. Kids dream to play and be a starter and some just arent as talented and or whatever and some schools arent as good so I would rather play the game I love and start then sit imo

I mean I know their no loyalty anymore but If its a true move a valid reason then im ok with it

Look at regional finalists for all 1A sports the last five years. Then tell me charters, Parochial, and open magnet are not advantages. A lot of charters in regional finals for country club sports.

The car (NCHSAA) needed a full service and tire change. The mechanic (state legislature) decided to replaced the engine, transmission, and throw in a paint job.
The state legislature needs to stay out of this. They have no business being involved with this. Stay out of the sports business.

Reactions: RD28327

Baseball ain’t that bad in the Charter’s area…
Orange/blue team just north of them had quite a bit of success, unfortunately. Charter definitely not “the best” in area.
As far as wrestling?
They get whoever they want/need usually.
See BK we do agree on something 🤷‍♂️

Baseball coach resigned over some missing money, not recruiting. He had to leave previous job because of that.

Thought this thread needed some input from someone who lives in that area.

I
Baseball ain’t that bad in the Charter’s area…
Orange/blue team just north of them had quite a bit of success, unfortunately. Charter definitely not “the best” in area.
As far as wrestling?
They get whoever they want/need usually.
See BK we do agree on something 🤷‍♂️

Baseball coach resigned over some missing money, not recruiting. He had to leave previous job because of that.

Thought this thread needed some input from someone who lives in that area.
I was told when it happened it was recruiting

Also 10/4 thanks info tho

Reactions: thekidd12
Moving Charters up to 7A would be like Shelby, Burns playing teams like Thomas Jefferson, Bessemer City, Highland Tech in same conference. That want be fun when scores are like 60-70 to 0 type ballgame with running clock. That wouldn’t be fun for either teams. Also fans wouldn’t be happy with it either.

Last edited:
Bring on the multiplier. Some of these very small charters who are not trying to be athletic powerhouses may just move up one class or not even move up at all. Those larger, more succesful charter schools may not move up to 6A or 7A necessarily, but they will get bumped up higher than just one class.

I've been in education for over 32 years and know the ins and outs of teaching, coaching, and administration. Enrollment of 700 in a charter school (which is, in FACT, a public school too) does not equal 700 enrollment in a TRADITIONAL public school. Fact, most charters use a "lottery system" for enrollement (exceptions often made for children of teachers/staff). Most lotteries are witnessed by very few outsiders. Had two great friends coaching at charters who shared with me the "intricasies" of making sure the right athletes "won" a drawing. Caught one of them meeting with a student and his parents at restaraunt and guaranteeing them a starting spot on the team. No, charters openly recruit and openly deny. Those are hard facts that are here to stay. So I have no problems with them being elevated to much higher classifications.

Reactions: DeBoer31
I think People actually needs to be Educated on Charter schools and there Dynamics before we complain because Seem like everyone has 0 clue how a Charter school runs and such most charter schools focus on Academics

I use to not know anything about How Charter schools used to work but Then i started asking questions n all and learning from those who have that knowledge

Charter schools for the most part exist as a means of profit for someone. The academic standards they are required to follow are soft compared to traditional public schools.

I've been in education for over 32 years and know the ins and outs of teaching, coaching, and administration. Enrollment of 700 in a charter school (which is, in FACT, a public school too) does not equal 700 enrollment in a TRADITIONAL public school. Fact, most charters use a "lottery system" for enrollement (exceptions often made for children of teachers/staff). Most lotteries are witnessed by very few outsiders. Had two great friends coaching at charters who shared with me the "intricasies" of making sure the right athletes "won" a drawing. Caught one of them meeting with a student and his parents at restaraunt and guaranteeing them a starting spot on the team. No, charters openly recruit and openly deny. Those are hard facts that are here to stay. So I have no problems with them being elevated to much higher classifications.

Don't forget the state passed a bill several years ago that allows companies that help build/support charters to get enrollment for employees. So if Bank of America helped build a new charter in Charlotte, the kids of their employees would pretty much be guaranteed a seat.

Reactions: BK13T-$
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT