ADVERTISEMENT

Providence Day...Recruiting?

mrhonda

Nov 12, 2012
I know this has to do with a private school, but I wanted to post this here as the topic could be of interest. Often, through the years, there's been talk of different schools recruiting. Most of it has been ridiculous. But the Charlotte Observer came out with their "Way too Early Sweet 16 Preseason Poll".

Providence Day was listed at #1. Here's what the Observer had to say about who the Chargers have playing for them this coming season.
"
"Providence Day, the reigning N.C. Independent Schools Division I champion, starts at No. 1, and the Chargers are chock full of national recruits and three or four potential high school All-Americans, including lineman David Sanders, the nation’s top player in his class, receivers Jordan Shipp and Channing Goodwin along with quarterback Jadyn Davis."

Considering who their coach is (I believe Chad Greer is back this year, but I could be mistaken. If I am, ignore this part of the post), it looks like Providence Day has a pretty good recruiting thing going on over there. I have a little understanding of how the privates (Providence Day, Charlotte Country Day, Latin and Charlotte Christian) test and enroll or decline to enrolls students in those schools.

So it just so happens, those students' parents decided they wanted their kids to have a good education (education only with no consideration of sports), the schools tested them (like they do with most of their students), and offered enrollment (without any decision being based on football). Really?

I usually don't react this strongly about this or even take seriously the "recruiting" talk. But I had my suspicions for a couple of years regarding Providence Day. When i read what I did in the Observer, it is now obvious to me. Oh there will be detractors who'll disagree with me. That's fine, that's what these forums are for.

Call me "old school" if you want (because actually I am, I admit it). I guess being 71 years of age and having followed high school football since 1962, I qualify as "old school". I know it's the way high school sports are going, but between the recruiting that some schools are doing, kids moving from school to school, open enrollments, NIL, and state lawmakers overreaching into controlling and trying to govern high school sports, I'm becoming rather disappointed and in some ways rather disgusted by it.

But nevertheless, it's the direction it's going and it is what it is. I can either continue to be a fan and follow it or back away from it. I'm leaning toward the latter.

But anyway, this post is about Providence Day, not the ranting of an older poster. If that's the direction Coach Greer and Providence Day want to go, that's their choice. But, start playing some big boy privates. You may not be ready yet for Mater Dei, St. John Bosco or IMG. But, start getting your feet wet with the likes of St. Edward out of Ohio, Good Counsel and DeMatha out of Maryland, or even St. John's or Gonzaga out of D.C.. St. Xavier out of Cincinnati or Bergen Catholic from New Jersey could accomadate you. Heck, even Cardinal Gibbons out of Raleigh scheduled Bergen Catholic last year. If none of those, then at least take a look at Trinity out of Louisville, KY.

If you want to take step up by apparent recruiting, then truly take a step up.

I wonder who they scheduled this year. With all or that talent they should be playing some top competition out of state like Mallard Creek, Chambers and Butler. Catholic gave them all they could handle last year.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Big fan of Coach Grier, as a coach I can understand the temptation and appeal of sending your child to private school. I think this is strictly a parents decision. If you want to put your child in the best position to succeed you'll do whatever it takes.

Providence Day is a good school no doubt but there are PLENTY of schools in NC that could and would give them the business. I would like to see them like up with Dutch Fork, Grimsley, or Hough, wouldn't mind seeing them against top high school competition also. But think about it, if you're son is a great football player hear at Mooresville, and you want him to get more college looks. Putting him on a team with 4 and 5 stars would definitely increase his chances of getting more looks, hell it'll increase his profile 10 fold. That's just the state of athletics (and NIL) this climate is currently in.

Last season they beat Weddington by about twenty and the following week Catholic by one. Christian beat them by one but PD avenged that by a wide margin in the playoffs.

Asheville and Catholic along with Cannon School, Christ School Asheville, and North Raleigh Academy after opening the season on a Saturday against Rock Hill Northwestern.

If they continue to improve and build depth Coach Grier will need to look at playing the very top teams in NC and SC. If there is success in those games a national schedule comes next.

Providence Day will take on RH Northwestern at Bank of America Stadium on August 19 at 7pm. I seriously thinking about going to see this game. Interesting matchup. As for any recruiting I have no idea what would be going other than what I read. But it will be interesting to see what kind of season Providence Day will have coming up.

Reactions: Champ_24
I did hear Gaffney is getting a QB that transfer from another school that is suppose to be good. Time will tell how all that will play out.

I know this has to do with a private school, but I wanted to post this here as the topic could be of interest. Often, through the years, there's been talk of different schools recruiting. Most of it has been ridiculous. But the Charlotte Observer came out with their "Way too Early Sweet 16 Preseason Poll".

Providence Day was listed at #1. Here's what the Observer had to say about who the Chargers have playing for them this coming season.
"
"Providence Day, the reigning N.C. Independent Schools Division I champion, starts at No. 1, and the Chargers are chock full of national recruits and three or four potential high school All-Americans, including lineman David Sanders, the nation’s top player in his class, receivers Jordan Shipp and Channing Goodwin along with quarterback Jadyn Davis."

Considering who their coach is (I believe Chad Greer is back this year, but I could be mistaken. If I am, ignore this part of the post), it looks like Providence Day has a pretty good recruiting thing going on over there. I have a little understanding of how the privates (Providence Day, Charlotte Country Day, Latin and Charlotte Christian) test and enroll or decline to enrolls students in those schools.

So it just so happens, those students' parents decided they wanted their kids to have a good education (education only with no consideration of sports), the schools tested them (like they do with most of their students), and offered enrollment (without any decision being based on football). Really?

I usually don't react this strongly about this or even take seriously the "recruiting" talk. But I had my suspicions for a couple of years regarding Providence Day. When i read what I did in the Observer, it is now obvious to me. Oh there will be detractors who'll disagree with me. That's fine, that's what these forums are for.

Call me "old school" if you want (because actually I am, I admit it). I guess being 71 years of age and having followed high school football since 1962, I qualify as "old school". I know it's the way high school sports are going, but between the recruiting that some schools are doing, kids moving from school to school, open enrollments, NIL, and state lawmakers overreaching into controlling and trying to govern high school sports, I'm becoming rather disappointed and in some ways rather disgusted by it.

But nevertheless, it's the direction it's going and it is what it is. I can either continue to be a fan and follow it or back away from it. I'm leaning toward the latter.

But anyway, this post is about Providence Day, not the ranting of an older poster. If that's the direction Coach Greer and Providence Day want to go, that's their choice. But, start playing some big boy privates. You may not be ready yet for Mater Dei, St. John Bosco or IMG. But, start getting your feet wet with the likes of St. Edward out of Ohio, Good Counsel and DeMatha out of Maryland, or even St. John's or Gonzaga out of D.C.. St. Xavier out of Cincinnati or Bergen Catholic from New Jersey could accomadate you. Heck, even Cardinal Gibbons out of Raleigh scheduled Bergen Catholic last year. If none of those, then at least take a look at Trinity out of Louisville, KY.

The recruitment of athletes is not exclusive to them. Look no further than the Mecklenburg County sector. They live in a very covert society until it's discovered.

Providence Day is a private school offering an exceptional educational option. As nepsy wrote they will be limited to what student athlete will be accepted which will also have to do with when they are attempting to gain entry. Where Grier can get ahead is by bringing in middle schoolers. I think any student that attempts admission while in high school will have a much more strenuous process and will be overwhelmed academically coming from most public schools. They will provide tutoring and put emphasis on assisting students so the help will be there.

How PD will work the tuition will be a major factor due to it being over $30,000 per school year! The family will be able to get about $5k in vouchers from the state if an NC resident. I am sure they will have some "scholarship" funds for checking various socioeconomic and educational boxes but they are not going to become a sports first school.

Charlotte Christian has by far the most impressive group of alumni athletes. Several played FBS and NFL plus MLB and NBA most notably Stephen Curry.

Reactions: nepsy7

"

I think the part from the Observer you put in bold could easily be read another way. I read it to mean they have “national recruits”, i.e, kids who are being recruited nationally. Not kids who were recruited to go to PD

They scored at will when they came to Albemarle in 2017 or 18. Greer was coaching and they threw it everywhere.

They scored at will when they came to Albemarle in 2017 or 18. Greer was coaching and they threw it everywhere.
It was 2013 when Grier was at Davidson Day and his son, Will, was the QB. I went over to Albemarle for that game. The home crowd was making fun of Davidson Day not having much size or numbers. I told them they were getting ready to see something they had not seen before, a sophisticated passing attack utilizing some elite skill players. They literally went up and down the field at will and blew the 1A title contender off the field 61-6. Albemarle lost bad to Murphy in the regional final. Would have liked to have seen Murphy and DD that season. Think it would have been more competitive.

The next season it was about a forty point DD win post Will Grier at qb. AHS had another strong team but with a first year HC, AD, and principal ended up forfeiting the season prior to the last game due to the eight quarter rule violations. They allowed some juniors to play in the JV games.

Albemarle was just not prepared to go against the type of offense they were seeing and could not get going on offense as DD kept things changing and were aggressive selling out to the run with a couple of FBS dbs covering the field. Albemarle did intercept Grier three times in 2014 on downfield bombs.

Providence Day is a private school offering an exceptional educational option. As nepsy wrote they will be limited to what student athlete will be accepted which will also have to do with when they are attempting to gain entry. Where Grier can get ahead is by bringing in middle schoolers. I think any student that attempts admission while in high school will have a much more strenuous process and will be overwhelmed academically coming from most public schools. They will provide tutoring and put emphasis on assisting students so the help will be there.

How PD will work the tuition will be a major factor due to it being over $30,000 per school year! The family will be able to get about $5k in vouchers from the state if an NC resident. I am sure they will have some "scholarship" funds for checking various socioeconomic and educational boxes but they are not going to become a sports first school.

Charlotte Christian has by far the most impressive group of alumni athletes. Several played FBS and NFL plus MLB and NBA most notably Stephen Curry.
PD is definitely working the middle school talent in the area right now. PD also has “financial assistance” available for their student athletes. Not hating their hustle but those guys are active right now with the elite 8th graders in the area.

Last edited:
Well of course they recruit ! They brought Coach Grier there to be a factor regionally if not nationally. He is a great coach and PD is a great school. Traditionally , CMS schools did not play the privates in Charlotte because they poached their star players. Not all of them of course, but I wouldn't play them if I was a public school coach in the area . There's really nothing to gain, it just cuts down on their travel. Make them travel the region. There is plenty of competition within the publics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT