ADVERTISEMENT

Charter schools not happy

I agree but look at the 1A regionals and see how many non traditional schools are in those four spots. Not talking football.
Ok my question to you then is Out of those 4 teams - Has any of those 1A team made deep runs or win multiple championships? If NO then that’s my point most Charter school don’t have much success but specific sports just like Small private school a lot team they good at 1 sports sometimes more depending but take Statesville Christian - They used be good in all sport but now I think rn it’s maybe might be soccer rn

I think just depends on history of the school , location , etc

Reactions: Champ_24
Ok my question to you then is Out of those 4 teams - Has any of those 1A team made deep runs or win multiple championships? If NO then that’s my point most Charter school don’t have much success but specific sports just like Small private school a lot team they good at 1 sports sometimes more depending but take Statesville Christian - They used be good in all sport but now I think rn it’s maybe might be soccer rn

I think just depends on history of the school , location , etc
Country club sports they usually make deep runs also. But I do see your point.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
If one charter is great at one sport and 4 other charters are great at other sports that will about stop a public from ever winning at those sports.
To me it doesn't matter that they ain't great at multiple sports.

Reactions: BlueDevil1996
If one charter is great at one sport and 4 other charters are great at other sports that will about stop a public from ever winning at those sports.
But again HOW MANY Actually do? not many it’s usually same once n there like 40+ charter so say 10 of them do it there 30 that don’t

Also In Public school there’s like what 400+ and every year it’s same teams 80% of the time they make playoffs like say Chambers or Wake Forest or Dudley or whoever I mean I don’t hear you complaining when MC or Butler or Indy or West Rowan has won multiple championships year in n out so they stop others from Winning too and most of those team Recruited to some degree so again What’s the difference

It's a big difference.

One reason is because it's in 1a were the disparity is the greatest.
That’s why Charter school need to be in their own playoffs so they play the normal schedule and all but have their own playoffs

Reactions: ref4e
If that's were the majority of students come from then yes. Those Charters should probably be 1a anyway.
Remember this hasn't even passed yet to my knowledge.

If that's were the majority of students come from then yes. Those Charters should probably be 1a anyway.
Remember this hasn't even passed yet to my knowledge.
It isn’t even out of committee I believe, but if that charter is dominating a sport then what?
I have a feeling the charter lobby will kill that part of the bill, unless they are aiming to make charters more academic with less sports.

I hope they take that out. It's not need as much with 7a.
Alot of Charters will be 2a by enrollment numbers anyway with 7 classifications.
Also hope they take state wide open enrollment out. That will be the end game for 1a sports.

Alot of Charters will be 2a by enrollment numbers anyway with 7 classifications.
Also hope they take state wide open enrollment out. That will be the end game for 1a sports.
That’s one thing I agree on - Doesn’t have go up 7A

Also State wide open enrollment or choice is just dumb and worst idea ever

I agree, state wide open enrollment would be a disaster. I liked the bill before where it moved them all up one. Fine with that.

1a football would be over if they had of moved all charters to 2a.
They would've then moved down a lot of 2a schools. Like maybe Reidsville. That was when they wanted only 4 classes. With 7 it wouldn't be as bad.

Politics aside… in no world should Pine Lake Prep be playing 7A publics. Want them to play up? Fine. But damn make it at least a little reasonable

Reactions: btango
Nobody is putting charters in 7a unless their enrollment comes from 7a school.

Politics aside… in no world should Pine Lake Prep be playing 7A publics. Want them to play up? Fine. But damn make it at least a little reasonable

Pine Lake would probably not miss a beat in several sports on 7A. I have no pity for a school that looks like a small college and pulls from the population and demographic they do.

Pine Lake would probably not miss a beat in several sports on 7A. I have no pity for a school that looks like a small college and pulls from the population and demographic they do.
The country club sports are pretty tough with the elite Triangle, Triad, and Meck schools. May could be competitive to some degree but would not be dominate as they are in 1A and 2A.

The country club sports are pretty tough with the elite Triangle, Triad, and Meck schools. May could be competitive to some degree but would not be dominate as they are in 1A and 2A.

I don't think they'd have a bit of issue battling in the country club sports including soccer. Some would be competitive in basketball and wrestling.

1A girls tennis has seen Mt Airy do VERY well but 2014-2021 Bishop McG, Raleigh Charter, and Pine Lake Prep won every (eight) team title.

1A boys tennis the last eight titles are charters.

1A baseball has been a couple of 1A powerhouse teams with Uwharrie Charter winning in 2019 and no chance to repeat due to COVID.

1A volleyball 2016-2022 charters won all titles.

1A boys soccer the last six have been Parocial or charter (split equally). The last eight years 14 of the finalists were non traditional with a total of eight different non traditional schools.

1A girls soccer the last nine have been eight charters and one Parochial. The finals had all but one team of 16 were non traditional with a total of nine different schools from that 15.

1A boys basketball since 2016 (seven) had four charter, two open magnet, and one Parochial as champion. Seven of the last eight east regional champions were charters.

1A girls was dominated by Bishop for eight years and then a few years by WSP but has went back to the traditional schools.

The titles are not being won by the same charters but there are many that do compete, just look at the numbers I listed.

Also In Public school there’s like what 400+ and every year it’s same teams 80% of the time they make playoffs like say Chambers or Wake Forest or Dudley or whoever I mean I don’t hear you complaining when MC or Butler or Indy or West Rowan has won multiple championships year in n out so they stop others from Winning too and most of those team Recruited to some degree so again What’s the difference
You build dynastys watering down the playoffs. My biggest complaint of subdividing. A champion for 45 schools.

I don't think they'd have a bit of issue battling in the country club sports including soccer. Some would be competitive in basketball and wrestling.
How do they do against the Catholics, Myers Parks, Providences, schools like those. I do not pay much attention to anything but the big three and track.

Last edited:
Again just do not play the charter schools pay the fine and move on. What is the state going to do fire a bunch of teachers/coaches/AD's/Principals if they refuse to play the charter/private schools? I doubt it,. the state is practically begging for teachers and coaches. Also if the public schools are not happy break away from the NCHSAA and create your own association that is just traditional high schools. Elect who you want to run it and move on. Right now I do not think state would do too much about that the way things are going on between the GA and the NCHSAA. Sorry my Union upbringing tells me that if you are not happy and enough people group together they can change things. So my solutions may seem radical

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
Don't play charters?

So Robbinsville is a 3 seed in softball playing a 30 seed charter. So drop out of the playoffs?
Teach kids to quit?

Don't play charters?

So Robbinsville is a 3 seed in softball playing a 30 seed charter. So drop out of the playoffs?
Teach kids to quit?
Ok all over the map here. If you are against charter schools do not play them during the year. If you are going to complain the only way sometimes to change things is being the change. If schools would not play them there would be changes. Perhaps a charter school league and playoff who knows. No need to cherry pick to push an argument.

Reactions: beamer24
Charters/private/Parochial are not traditional highschools as they are made up of select student bodies giving them distinct advantages especially in sports over traditional high schools. When Cardinal Gibbons and Catholic have won nearly 100 state championships a piece in less than 20 years you have an issue. Bishop Mc Guiness is making a mockery of girls basketball. Guess who they played in the ship? Chatham Charter. Winston Salem Prep?

Look at the public/private/Parochial state championships. Private/charter/parochials dominate nationally. Its not just a NC issue but a national issue. No way a charter school should play 1A ball. 1A is the most diluted talent wise than any classification.

Even former 4A schools competing at the 3A level have great success. Dudley, Freedom, West Charlotte, 71st, Sanford, south Central, Westover. Now imagine loaded charter/private, and parochial schools competing in lower levels than 3A? Its crazy.

They would struggle in Baseball, Softball ; Basketball maybe competitive but No way in Hell PLP is going be anywhere close to a Chambers , North Meck, MP type teams. They prob be 4th at best in CLT area basketball conference imo

I have 0 clue on other sports but I’m sure depending they could do well or not.

Also Football would be non existent and Football and Basketball is prob your $$$$ markers so they would lose $$$ for athletic Just like Any HS would if y’all don’t have good football or basketball to make $

Also when the Last time PLP won a Championship because I don’t know it’s a legitimate ?

Charters/private/Parochial are not traditional highschools as they are made up of select student bodies giving them distinct advantages especially in sports over traditional high schools. When Cardinal Gibbons and Catholic have won nearly 100 state championships a piece in less than 20 years you have an issue. Bishop Mc Guiness is making a mockery of girls basketball. Guess who they played in the ship? Chatham Charter. Winston Salem Prep?

Look at the public/private/Parochial state championships. Private/charter/parochials dominate nationally. Its not just a NC issue but a national issue. No way a charter school should play 1A ball. 1A is the most diluted talent wise than any classification.

Even former 4A schools competing at the 3A level have great success. Dudley, Freedom, West Charlotte, 71st, Sanford, south Central, Westover. Now imagine loaded charter/private, and parochial schools competing in lower levels than 3A? Its crazy.
WSPrep is a normal high school. WSFCS does have open enrollment though.

Free/reduced lunch piece of the last r
This is true but remember: the NCHSAA tried to address this in the last realignment by factoring in things like free and reduced lunch to try and make things fairer. The idea being that a school with 1000 students but with only 5% getting assistance was different than another school with 1000 students but with 30% getting assistance (and I think there's something to that because the poorer school is going to have problems getting kids out for sports compared to the wealthier school probably in the same way that charters will be able to get kids out more easily than traditional public schools). People on here still complained about the way that realignment was done.
Free/reduced lunch piece of the last relignm. was total horse manure. Has everything to do with the social politics that were going on when it was passed. True privilege/entitlement for some based on the social agenda to receive a bump down in classification for sports. A few of those same teams that I know about are "academies" that can take kids from all over the county they reside in.... which is just "legal" recruiting. That's fine...if it is about bettering yourself for future schooling by attending an academy 30 minutes away from your home...go ahead and go if that's what it's about. I'm all for a kid bettering himself. I have to question how dire his situation is really if he can make a thirty minute commute one-way daily, though. Is that school the same one that is full of underprivileged students?
These schools that have this set up have All kinds of obvious sports/recruiting advantages. I think it puts an asterisk on any "win" or "championship" they accumulate.
You have to base classifications on geographical lines, admin population for schools with the same level playing field requirements. If you have unfair recruiting advantages like an 'academy' school or private/charter....you should be made to play UP a division....NOT down. Certain counties near Charlotte have a lot of transfers that go back and forth, to and from. There should be a rule that once you transfer once, you can't play a year when you transfer a 2nd time. HS sports aren't Pro sports. Everybody knows what goes on when this guy is "staying" at a place and then starts "staying" somewhere else. 99% of the time its sports-related. Shame on the buster-@#! pimp adults who encourage, endorse and promote it.

WSPrep is a normal high school. WSFCS does have open enrollment though.
WS Prep is not "normal" or what some call "traditional." It was opened as a non district college prepatory magnet school. It had no geographical district and was a full magnet 9-12. The "college prep" part has been a misnomer as test scores are and have been terrible. A normal college prep . The school is located in the old Atkins HS building and less than three miles from the "new" Atkins and Carver and less than four miles from Reynolds.

W-S Prep was the biggest culprit of recruiting players (basketball) than probably any school in the state for several years and to be playing in the 1A classifcation was a total fraud.

Forsyth County is one of the issues. The schools overlap academically and geographically. County population is right at 385,000 and there are twelve public high schools with varsity football programs. Wake County has over 1.1 million and (I think) 23 public high school football teams. Meck County also over 1.1 million and will have 21 public high school football teams. Nearly triple the population but right at double the programs. That is an indication that Forsyth is overbuilding schools when compared to other counties and the number of students in the schools. Should not be 1A and 2A schools in a county that large unless they are located in a remote area that just does not have the population.

WS Prep is not "normal" or what some call "traditional." It was opened as a non district college prepatory magnet school. It had no geographical district and was a full magnet 9-12. The "college prep" part has been a misnomer as test scores are and have been terrible. A normal college prep . The school is located in the old Atkins HS building and less than three miles from the "new" Atkins and Carver and less than four miles from Reynolds.

W-S Prep was the biggest culprit of recruiting players (basketball) than probably any school in the state for several years and to be playing in the 1A classifcation was a total fraud.

Forsyth County is one of the issues. The schools overlap academically and geographically. County population is right at 385,000 and there are twelve public high schools with varsity football programs. Wake County has over 1.1 million and (I think) 23 public high school football teams. Meck County also over 1.1 million and will have 21 public high school football teams. Nearly triple the population but right at double the programs. That is an indication that Forsyth is overbuilding schools when compared to other counties and the number of students in the schools. Should not be 1A and 2A schools in a county that large unless they are located in a remote area that just does not have the population.
I have to really tread lightly, but new Atkins was not needed, but Reagan was. The bond was not going to pass without both. I have said many, many times that Carver and Prep should be. combined. Plenty of room in Carver to handle both Prep MS and HS. Atkins also is a 100% magnet, but there is no athletes going there. Last I heard they were at capacity and a lottery was being used for admission. They win academic awards, not football trophies. Hence is why they struggle to hire a football coach. Only had a certified math teacher to offer. No dig at math teachers.

Reactions: btango
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT