ADVERTISEMENT

Next year, the NCHSAA will have 440 member schools.

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC
There will be four additional charter schools joining the membership of the N.C. High School Athletic Association for the 2024-2025 school year.
Something to talk about until Friday. Does anyone know anything about any of these charter schools ?

Last edited:
Summit has been around a while but just added high school. Really small school that draws from a pretty remote but wealthy area (Cashiers/Highlands).

You guys that think going 7 or 8A is insane don't understand how bad this charter school thing is about to blow up with recent laws that have passed.

You guys that think going 7 or 8A is insane don't understand how bad this charter school thing is about to blow up with recent laws that have passed.
With so few of them playing football seven or more classes is not needed for football.

Even with those schools WHY are they going to mix them in with the traditional high schools in the lower classes. Look at 1A non football sports. Now it is slowly infiltrating 2A although it will be harder to dominate than 1A.

SC has two charter schools playing for their 2A football title this year. They both "market" themselves as athletic charter schools.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Thunder is so happy right now. He gets to post about how bad one side is. How bad Charter Schools are. He has been waiting weeks for this. Merry Christmas Thunder enjoy

Btango, do you see NC Legislators creating athletic charter schools?
I would not have expected what happened in SC to happen. The NC House and Senate are very supportive of charters. I do not understand the end game they are attempting to reach but I do not support them running high school athletics with the way they have handled education.

So many charters.

Time to do 7 classes based on ADM amongst traditional zoned schools

8th class should be all charters and parochials together.

Ridiculous not to at this point.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
It was 8 with the splits
The plan up until about a month ago had been to go to seven. Some schools were asking about five or six. That is what I was referencing.

Subdividing would probably work better in that the ADM would place the school within the class on a yearly basis. I could see schools trying to manipulate that as they know the other school ADMs from the prior year.

Either way, eight is riduculous. Within reason of enrollment I want to see the best play the best. MA and Robbinsville is a great matchup with unreal fanfare. In the eight classes Robbinsville would probably be rolling over an opponent.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Have the Charters ever won anything in Football
No but Wilson Prep made the semifinals of the 1A East.

MIC has had some good years. CSD and Pine Lake Prep in 2A have advanced a few rounds.

Corvian Community made noise knocking at Draughn.

Reactions: sbbbfan
That's the issue. Once they do may be someone will care.
That’s my point. Until they win in football it want matter. Other sports will have to deal with them. There is no way all sports can have 8 classes either. So it doesn’t do any good to complain about Charter schools in sports

Last edited:
Reactions: BK13T-$

Board unanimously approves expanding NCHSAA to eight classifications for 2025-2026 school year​

Beginning with the 2025-2026 school year, the NCHSAA will double the number of classifications, moving from four to eight.
Posted 1:58 p.m. Today - Updated 3:47 p.m. Today Yahoo Asheville Citizen-Times News

The by law change was to allow for a classification per every 64 schools. This would require a minimum of 7 classes. Not a limit to 7 classes. Seems like the board decided that 8 classes made dividing the numbers easier.

I really like going back to 1a, 1aa, 2a, 2aa, etc. Parity to me is much fairer than seeing 50 to 100% spread in ADM between schools.

I really like going back to 1a, 1aa, 2a, 2aa, etc. Parity to me is much fairer than seeing 50 to 100% spread in ADM between schools.
Never like right. Thought six was and is a perfect number. One state champion for every 64 or so football playing schools.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
From the Asheville Citizen article
"In football, there are currently enough teams for six classifications under the 64-team cap."
I already thought they might have to combine 1A & 2A for football championship with 7 classes or just have a smaller bracket but with 8 I think they definitely would have too.

Did you subscribe to HSOT ? I saw this earlier today and I tried to click on the link telling how 8 would work but It wanted me to subscribe so I did not get to see how it was to work. You have to pay now to see the good links, lol. So I found the Ashville Times post.

Reactions: RealStihl
Did you subscribe to HSOT ? I saw this earlier today and I tried to click on the link telling how 8 would work but It wanted me to subscribe so I did not get to see how it was to work. You have to pay now to see the good links, lol. So I found the Ashville Times post.
No I didn't subscribe for this article. I've never been asked to subscribe but maybe I just didn't click an article that acquires it. I first saw a Fayetteville Observer article that stated about the same thing.

I have posted this before in the past. TN has 298 football schools. The TSSAA shows you how they breakdown each class for every sport. You can use this as a reference for all sports. The TSSAA takes 32 teams for their playoffs in Football. 16 in the West 16 in the East. With 8 classes you don’t need as many teams in the playoffs in each class

I have posted this before in the past. TN has 298 football schools. The TSSAA shows you how they breakdown each class for every sport. You can use this as a reference for all sports. The TSSAA takes 32 teams for their playoffs in Football. 16 in the West 16 in the East. With 8 classes you don’t need as many teams in the playoffs in each class

What’s the difference between a “division I” and a “division II” sport in Tennessee? I notice they divide some sports this way and it isn’t due to enrollment as near as I can tell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT