ADVERTISEMENT

Overhauling of the NCHSAA by the NC House

Parents are pulling kids from public schools for many reasons including the lack of discipline and the continuous drop in academic standards. I know for a fact that in many instances teachers teach to a test. In other words memorization skills as opposed to actual learning material. I know there are other reasons but these two stand out in my mind.
Whenever your being told that a test rates you as a teacher of course this is what you are going to get. The school grading system is a prime example. It's all about those EOG's. And of course that grade is 80% who passed the test with only 20% growth being figured in. I look at it like this...a teacher's ultimate goal is to get a student to 100. One student is starting at 90 and makes it to 100. That teacher is celebrated and maybe even gets a bonus. Student 2 is starting at 20 and makes it to 60. That teacher is still told they are a failure but you tell me who made the biggest impact.

The teacher evaluation system and school report card system are extremely flawed systems.

And do we really want to get into why we push testing so much? Look where that Pearson money is.

Folks, y'all are being fooled over school choice

Ok I’m being fooled. All I know for sure is what I’ve seen with my own two eyes. My wife taught in public schools for nearly 20 years. I worked in public schools for seven years. I don’t know all the shortcomings of charter schools but I have seen many in the public school system with my own eyes.
At this point I’ll take the garbage I can’t see over the garbage that I know exists.
I saw money the federal government gave public schools being used on thing they didn’t need. School employees were paid to stay home during COVID. I know because I was one of them. Charters might have received the same gravy, I don’t know. All I’m saying is, the school system has wasted more money than you can ever imagine.
IMO the government should not be in the education business. Let em set minimum standards other than that, keep out. Government can’t even run a license plate agency efficiently.

Seems like they have two different play books because many of the GOP politicians that have been pushing these Charter schools also have their hands in the mgmt companies that apparently own most of these "non-profit" schools. Follow the money, if you can and I bet it will all make sense. There is a kick back somewhere.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Seems like they have two different play books because many of the GOP politicians that have been pushing these Charter schools also have their hands in the mgmt companies that apparently own most of these "non-profit" schools. Follow the money, if you can and I bet it will all make sense. There is a kick back somewhere.

Bingo. People can't see the forest for the trees. Things in the state work much like they do in DC. Get in the pockets of who is in charge, and get what you want no matter the damage.

Looking at campaign finance can be a real eye opener.

I'm not saying public schools are perfect and don't need work but there is a reason they are being left in the dust, and it's not because they suck, but it's easy to bill it like that, and it's easy for people to believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: heelzfor2
Yeah, I doubt there are any kick-backs from the public system, but guarantee-damn-tee you the politicians are getting it from the folks that actually own these Charter Schools. I would still like them to pony up some of that lottery money they all talked about when they were passing it for NC, what they strategically left out was any lottery funds going to the schools would off-set funds the politicians were going to take and place elsewhere. I had visions of new schools like Dorman in SC coming to NC.....instead we still have many run down schools, low teacher pay, and teachers/parents funding school supplies......and we voters let them get away with it by keeping these same cronies in office.

Yeah, I doubt there are any kick-backs from the public system, but guarantee-damn-tee you the politicians are getting it from the folks that actually own these Charter Schools. I would still like them to pony up some of that lottery money they all talked about when they were passing it for NC, what they strategically left out was any lottery funds going to the schools would off-set funds the politicians were going to take and place elsewhere. I had visions of new schools like Dorman in SC coming to NC.....instead we still have many run down schools, low teacher pay, and teachers/parents funding school supplies......and we voters let them get away with it by keeping these same cronies in office.
The one Florida based charter company I know, donates a lot to pacts advocating for charters and political campaign contributions in NC.

The teacher evaluation system and school report card system are extremely flawed systems.

And do we really want to get into why we push testing so much? Look where that Pearson money is.

Folks, y'all are being fooled over school choice
I absolutely want the Democrats to put this in their platform for the state of North Carolina.
I want clarity.
I want one party to say, "parents, we hear you. We know that you aren't satisfied with your public school and we think you know best what to do for your kids. So,we are offering you alternatives. It may not be perfect, but we think this is a step in the right direction."
And then I want the other party to say, "Folks, y'all are being fooled over school choice. You just think you want alternatives, but really you should just take whatever we offer you and not concern yourselves with it. We know best, now hush up. Oh, but if we ask for more money to reinforce our policies, you should just pay up."
Because we saw reliably blue Virginia flip the three highest state offices red over this very issue and I think that was because they saw how they were treated like criminals at school board meetings when they showed up to speak out on behalf of their kids.

I absolutely want the Democrats to put this in their platform for the state of North Carolina.
I want clarity.
I want one party to say, "parents, we hear you. We know that you aren't satisfied with your public school and we think you know best what to do for your kids. So,we are offering you alternatives. It may not be perfect, but we think this is a step in the right direction."
And then I want the other party to say, "Folks, y'all are being fooled over school choice. You just think you want alternatives, but really you should just take whatever we offer you and not concern yourselves with it. We know best, now hush up. Oh, but if we ask for more money to reinforce our policies, you should just pay up."
Because we saw reliably blue Virginia flip the three highest state offices red over this very issue and I think that was because they saw how they were treated like criminals at school board meetings when they showed up to speak out on behalf of their kids.

Well the other side isn't saying "parents we hear you, you wanr options."

It's "Our public schools are liberally indoctrinating your kids and failing you." And folks keep taking the bait.

I'm not advocating against Charter Schools. I'm advocating for truth,transparency, and a fair system. Something folks don't seem to care about.

For some reason it seems to be a black and white issue but there is alot of grey here people aren't willing to look at.

Well the other side isn't saying "parents we hear you, you wanr options."

It's "Our public schools are liberally indoctrinating your kids and failing you." And folks keep taking the bait.

I'm not advocating against Charter Schools. I'm advocating for truth,transparency, and a fair system. Something folks don't seem to care about.
You could have just shortened that to "Our public schools are...failing you." Because that's the part that parents are concerned about, rightly enough.
I mean I could post videos of teachers with rainbow flags up in their classrooms who explicitly state that they won't have an American flag up, but that's beside the point.
If there is some explicit policy to achieve a "fair system" that you support, then come out and tell us what that is. I suspect that it involves much greater expenditures from the public purse while pulling everyone down to the lowest common denominator, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

You could have just shortened that to "Our public schools are...failing you." Because that's the part that parents are concerned about, rightly enough.
I mean I could post videos of teachers with rainbow flags up in their classrooms who explicitly state that they won't have an American flag up, but that's beside the point.
If there is some explicit policy to achieve a "fair system" that you support, then come out and tell us what that is. I suspect that it involves much greater expenditures from the public purse while pulling everyone down to the lowest common denominator, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Then please show me that video. Show me a North Carolina teacher refusing to hang an American flag while hanging a gay pride flag.

You love free speech don't you? Do you support the Christian flag in a classroom?

A good start would be giving public schools the automony and playbook charters are being given instead of handcuffs.

Also related to discipline earlier, do you know who sets discipline guidelines?

I can only imagine that this is how cops feel. They are painted with a broad brush because of the bad ones. Seems like the same thing is happening to teachers.

Then please show me that video. Show me a North Carolina teacher refusing to hang an American flag while hanging a gay pride flag.

You love free speech don't you? Do you support the Christian flag in a classroom?

A good start would be giving public schools the automony and playbook charters are being given instead of handcuffs.

One-I will find the video, he was bragging about it and I saw it on Twitter. I have no idea if the teacher is from NC, but from a brief search it seems that counties have had to speak up about what is acceptable or not in their districts. And note, I did post a video earlier in this thread from a gentleman speaking up about an issue that concerned him in with books used in public schools in Asheville. I said it was beside the point, but there are plenty of people out there who don't like what they see from the schools and want reform, whatever their politics.
Two-I think that private individuals are free to speak their minds as they see fit. But you shouldn't abuse your positions as a public employee to push your agenda. Because then otherwise yes, I would have to agree that a devout Christian teacher should be able to push his or hers. I know that you think there is a distinction between one that "is based in religion" and one that "is based in 'equality' or 'diversity', but I can't on "free speech" grounds say that one should be promoted by publicly funded institutions and one not. I mean, I get that you guys seem to think that you should be able to push your agenda through the schools and that anyone who is concerned about that is "taking the bait" but this is just pushing large numbers of the public away and I don't really blame them for thinking that their values are being denigrated and looking for alternatives.
Three-if your position is that the education bureaucracy is broken and needs to be reformed, then we agree. I think there's a lot more agreement on my side of the aisle about this than on yours.
Four-discipline for who? Teachers? Students? Please be more specific.

I can only imagine that this is how cops feel. They are painted with a broad brush because of the bad ones. Seems like the same thing is happening to teachers.
Yep, that sucks and cops are told (rightly) that they should police their own, because it only takes a few bad cops to ruin people's lives. So, they shouldn't be able to take a slap on the wrist and keep their pensions when they get caught doing something bad. The same principle applies to teachers who abuse their authority.

Anyway-here's the video. Turns out the guy is in Oregon, which apparently means that no one who is worried about what teachers are doing here in NC should be at all concerned about what is going on in the schools.

• Sad
Reactions: beamer24

Public schools that make people money, can kick kids out over academics, probably bend the rules to get certain kids in, play by a different set of rules, and lack accountability.

Sounds great doesn't it?
Public schools with a "so called" 25 mile radius to bring in talent to their programs using a "lottery" system. A lottery just happens to pull the name of 90 MPH pitchers, 6'8 Bball players, Country Club golfers and state champion wrestlers. Otherwise, no advantage at all for those cherished Charters.

What is the point? We can be nuanced enough to understand that charters and traditional operate under different circumstances when evaluating them. At no point would that justify trying to eliminate them. Just put in more effort at figuring out why the traditional ones aren’t better.
Not all charters are better. Many have been shut down for academic integrity and lack of leadership/oversight. Others have thrived, especially in 1A sports. I cannot blame a parent for moving their child to a charter if that is what they want. But they have a direct advantage over traditional schools in athletics and should be competing up a level or in their own leagues for playoffs.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Not all charters are better. Many have been shut down for academic integrity and lack of leadership/oversight. Others have thrived, especially in 1A sports. I cannot blame a parent for moving their child to a charter if that is what they want. But they have a direct advantage over traditional schools in athletics and should be competing up a level or in their own leagues for playoffs.
“Many” would need to be quantified and the comparison is moot since public schools are never shut down. Just looking at the New Bern situation for lack of oversight and every other buzz word that likes to be thrown around.

Would be perfectly fine with those basketball charters being moved up to 4A.

Reactions: beamer24
There are extreme crazies on both sides, teachers like that should simply be taken out of the classroom....to improve our public schools they should fund them and pay teachers a decent salary, which they have not. I've heard them talking about improving education for 30 years and nothing has changed in the NCGA. My DIL quit teaching after 3-4 years because of the low pay and lack of discipline of the kids, parents complain about the smallest things and the admin never back the teacher, 3-4-5% raises.....working 50+ hours a week, spending your own money and asking for parent donations for classroom needs......all due to lack of funding. Use that EDUCATION lottery money for our schools in addition to existing funding. Our LAWMAKERS have failed our public education system, period!!!!

There are extreme crazies on both sides, teachers like that should simply be taken out of the classroom....to improve our public schools they should fund them and pay teachers a decent salary, which they have not. I've heard them talking about improving education for 30 years and nothing has changed in the NCGA. My DIL quit teaching after 3-4 years because of the low pay and lack of discipline of the kids, parents complain about the smallest things and the admin never back the teacher, 3-4-5% raises.....working 50+ hours a week, spending your own money and asking for parent donations for classroom needs......all due to lack of funding. Use that EDUCATION lottery money for our schools in addition to existing funding. Our LAWMAKERS have failed our public education system, period!!!!
My niece told me almost the exact thing last week as your DIL. Morale among public school teachers has cratered as the parents have more control over the classroom now than ever before. School systems don’t allow expelling students like they should as they fear lost funding and defending lawsuits. The NCGA has caused this environment in multiple ways such as not adequately funding traditional schools, not paying teachers living wages, and promoting charter schools while slamming traditional public schools. The local county governments are also part of funding schools and they can’t up their ante without major backlash.

Seems like a lot of school boards have failed the public education system.

Reactions: heelzfor2
Republicans took over the state legislature (for the first time in over a century) in 2011. Since then teacher pay has gone from 41st in the nation to 34th and from 7th in the Southeast to 2nd-as of 2021. Make whatever you will of those rankings, but they are improvements.

Certainly better but in no way were we need to be, with billions in surplus, we could be doing much more for our public education system IMHO. 34th nationally is nothing to celebrate. These politicians lie to us on a daily basis and somehow we have come to accept it....just crazy.

Certainly better but in no way were we need to be, with billions in surplus, we could be doing much more for our public education system IMHO. 34th nationally is nothing to celebrate. These politicians lie to us on a daily basis and somehow we have come to accept it....just crazy.
All right, but you complain that in the "30 years" you have heard the legislature talking about this that "nothing has changed". But then turn around and admit that it is "certainly better". Improvements are generally made slowly, but shouldn't be ignored.
In the interests of bipartisanship I am willing to give some credit here to Governor Cooper as well, but bear in mind that the legislature writes the budget and they should also get credit for any improvements.

I'm unaffiliated Captain so I am not blindly loyal to either party and will give credit where credit is due. Yes I agree that is better, but again not where we should be with the surplus we have. Every year they have the opportunity to do better, and they do not. Our teacher and children deserve better.

I'm unaffiliated Captain so I am not blindly loyal to either party and will give credit where credit is due. Yes I agree that is better, but again not where we should be with the surplus we have. Every year they have the opportunity to do better, and they do not. Our teacher and children deserve better.
it seems to me that what the legislature has done is raise teacher pay, especially in comparison to other regional state, while at the same time reducing the tax burden on citizens. That part of the equation has to be considered when discussing "surpluses" and the budget. It looks like good government to me, especially when compared to other states that tax their citizens exorbitantly.

Then those at county level should allocate their funds to teaching and less on administrators.

There is a whole conference of charter schools in the Charlotte Metro area. Lincoln Charter is in one of the fastest growing areas of the state, and pulls from 6(I think) counties. Gaston County is also a large area.

How many charters are in Wilkes, Yadkin, Graham, Swain, Davie, Stokes, etc.?
That's because we don't push liberal agenda in our school in Graham.

One-I will find the video, he was bragging about it and I saw it on Twitter. I have no idea if the teacher is from NC, but from a brief search it seems that counties have had to speak up about what is acceptable or not in their districts. And note, I did post a video earlier in this thread from a gentleman speaking up about an issue that concerned him in with books used in public schools in Asheville. I said it was beside the point, but there are plenty of people out there who don't like what they see from the schools and want reform, whatever their politics.
Two-I think that private individuals are free to speak their minds as they see fit. But you shouldn't abuse your positions as a public employee to push your agenda. Because then otherwise yes, I would have to agree that a devout Christian teacher should be able to push his or hers. I know that you think there is a distinction between one that "is based in religion" and one that "is based in 'equality' or 'diversity', but I can't on "free speech" grounds say that one should be promoted by publicly funded institutions and one not. I mean, I get that you guys seem to think that you should be able to push your agenda through the schools and that anyone who is concerned about that is "taking the bait" but this is just pushing large numbers of the public away and I don't really blame them for thinking that their values are being denigrated and looking for alternatives.
Three-if your position is that the education bureaucracy is broken and needs to be reformed, then we agree. I think there's a lot more agreement on my side of the aisle about this than on yours.
Four-discipline for who? Teachers? Students? Please be more specific.

If a teacher wants to hang a gay pride flag or Christian flag who cares. At days end both can be considered pushing an agenda. No one seems to care that school systems are pushing to post the 10 Commandments everywhere. A flag isn't going to turn a kid gay.

The issue is that relgion is being used to attack people that people are being told to hate.

At days end if having a gay pride flag allows 5 gay kids to have a safe space with a teacher at lunch to get away from the bullying they are probably facing and that teacher keeps those 5 from killing themselves, then so be it.

If a Christian flag gives 5 kids a place to sit and pray during lunch for the struggles they may be having, then so be it.

At days end no one can sit and say the "liberal" agenda is being forced on kids when the ones claiming this are actively trying to put the 10 commandments on a wall and whine because they don't think kids can pray in school.

I'll tell you this and you probably won't believe it, but the kids that are killing themselves daily and being subjected to bullying, aren't the ones that are carrying their Bible around. Maybe it's time for the ones with the Bible to actually follow the word of God and stop demonizing every single thing they are told to demonize. If people would stop demonizing people, then you'd see alot of the things that bother you go away, because what do people do when they feel they are attacked? They get defensive.

It also is problematic that folks want to focus on the 1 teacher you posted the video about and act like that's representative of schools while ignoring the other 100 teachers to that 1 that are in their classes busting it everyday and being champions, and who is to say that guy isn't a great teacher? You're judging him for having a gay pride flag, and not an American flag.

If a teacher wants to hang a gay pride flag or Christian flag who cares. At days end both can be considered pushing an agenda. No one seems to care that school systems are pushing to post the 10 Commandments everywhere. A flag isn't going to turn a kid gay.

The issue is that relgion is being used to attack people that people are being told to hate.

At days end if having a gay pride flag allows 5 gay kids to have a safe space with a teacher at lunch to get away from the bullying they are probably facing and that teacher keeps those 5 from killing themselves, then so be it.

If a Christian flag gives 5 kids a place to sit and pray during lunch for the struggles they may be having, then so be it.

At days end no one can sit and say the "liberal" agenda is being forced on kids when the ones claiming this are actively trying to put the 10 commandments on a wall and whine because they don't think kids can pray in school.

I'll tell you this and you probably won't believe it, but the kids that are killing themselves daily and being subjected to bullying, aren't the ones that are carrying their Bible around. Maybe it's time for the ones with the Bible to actually follow the word of God and stop demonizing every single thing they are told to demonize. If people would stop demonizing people, then you'd see alot of the things that bother you go away, because what do people do when they feel they are attacked? They get defensive.

It also is problematic that folks want to focus on the 1 teacher you posted the video about and act like that's representative of schools while ignoring the other 100 teachers to that 1 that are in their classes busting it everyday and being champions, and who is to say that guy isn't a great teacher? You're judging him for having a gay pride flag, and not an American flag.
Spin it Thunder!!!

That’s the problem school boards in these blue areas have been crazy liberals causing parents to want choices for their kids in school which you don’t like.

Well right now it seems school boards on red areas are the ones fighting and struggling to govern. But you don't see that. You're too busy chasing your liberal boogeymen

Oh, I believe it. I'm not religious at all, but perhaps there is an aspect of that which may explain what you describe that you haven't considered.
But just to be clear, I think there might be some "demonizing" being done here and I ask you to consider that perhaps it might just be you doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT