ADVERTISEMENT

CVAC 2022 - Week 7

GrizzlyDevil, it was good to see you at last night's game, thanks for saying something. I wondered why you were on the Lincolnton side, knowing you have a special nephew playing for Bandys.

I went into the stands and worked my way over to the fifty yard line where I got a good seat at the top. It's not that I care but the fans around me kept looking at me in a puzzled way and I didn't recognize any of them, but I have to say, they would speak when I would say hello. Across the way I thought, "we have more fans than Bandys".

A large group of young people in white, some in togas and other strange linens entered the stands. I wondered if it was the Latin Club or The Future Business Leaders or in-school suspension. I hadn't seen them at our games. When I saw a Bandys band member it dawned on me I was on the wrong side and probably in a reserved seat. Like Hickory, their press box is on the visitors side.

So for any bored Bandys fan who might read this screed who saw an old man stumbling around in the stands near the top about the fifty yard line, thanks for your toleration.

Side Note: For anyone who doesn't know GrizzlyDevil, last night, he looked like a college level football player. It's obvious he has been spending time in the weight room and keeping himself fit.

The reason I say this is because I've spent many years attempting to shape my behavior as a calm, patient and sensible adult, and frankly I feel like I've done all right, I like it that way. In spite of that I've grown up around, lived around, and worked around many tough people and as hard as I try not to, I still have a little bit of that old disposition, meaning when I meet someone or haven't known someone very often and run into them, I still have this very fleeting thought of, well, whether or not I could take them. Not that I would ever want to try but it's just the residue of having been around an old mindset.

Last night coming home from Bandys and driving down the Buffalo Shoals Road(Hey, a bunch of them have that old mindset, too, and probably still have it, I mean Lincoln and Catawba County, both, I remember the Page Black gang) I got almost to Main St. in Lincolnton and realized right then and there, with all things considered, there was no possible way I could take or ever could have have taken GrizzlyDevil, absolutely no way, and him being from Maiden (some of of them have that temperament, too, God's little blue acre is a pretty tough town) made me absolutely sure of it.
But you could outsmart most of ‘em.

Thank you, my friend. I would want to be seen with your kind of temperament. I don't know if I could outsmart anyone, sure is a nice thought, but growing up on East Dixon Street, I realized very early in life that I had this uncanny ability to talk my way out of these situations. I sure did get to practice it more than I wanted to.:)

I'll guarantee everyone they would known they had been in a confrontation.
Thank you my friend but I would prefer to have your temperament and managerial skills, which I don't have.
I remember you telling me of someone who approached you, quite upset, after watching one of the "news" channels, and how you explained to them, "They (the news channel) wants you to be upset". To me, that's called wisdom.

GrizzlyDevil, it was good to see you at last night's game, thanks for saying something. I wondered why you were on the Lincolnton side, knowing you have a special nephew playing for Bandys.

I went into the stands and worked my way over to the fifty yard line where I got a good seat at the top. It's not that I care but the fans around me kept looking at me in a puzzled way and I didn't recognize any of them, but I have to say, they would speak when I would say hello. Across the way I thought, "we have more fans than Bandys".

A large group of young people in white, some in togas and other strange linens entered the stands. I wondered if it was the Latin Club or The Future Business Leaders or in-school suspension. I hadn't seen them at our games. When I saw a Bandys band member it dawned on me I was on the wrong side and probably in a reserved seat. Like Hickory, their press box is on the visitors side.

So for any bored Bandys fan who might read this screed who saw an old man stumbling around in the stands near the top about the fifty yard line, thanks for your toleration.

Side Note: For anyone who doesn't know GrizzlyDevil, last night, he looked like a college level football player. It's obvious he has been spending time in the weight room and keeping himself fit.

The reason I say this is because I've spent many years attempting to shape my behavior as a calm, patient and sensible adult, and frankly I feel like I've done all right, I like it that way. In spite of that I've grown up around, lived around, and worked around many tough people and as hard as I try not to, I still have a little bit of that old disposition, meaning when I meet someone or haven't known someone very often and run into them, I still have this very fleeting thought of, well, whether or not I could take them. Not that I would ever want to try but it's just the residue of having been around an old mindset.

Last night coming home from Bandys and driving down the Buffalo Shoals Road(Hey, a bunch of them have that old mindset, too, and probably still have it, I mean Lincoln and Catawba County, both, I remember the Page Black gang) I got almost to Main St. in Lincolnton and realized right then and there, with all things considered, there was no possible way I could take or ever could have have taken GrizzlyDevil, absolutely no way, and him being from Maiden (some of of them have that temperament, too, God's little blue acre is a pretty tough town) made me absolutely sure of it.
My friend...thank you for the kind words. I was wondering why you were on the Bandys side...but assumed you were just taking a lap to warm up for the game.

And you're totally right, people from this corner of NC have that exact disposition...can I take on any and everyone I meet? Though I must say, I've never once thought of squaring up with you, you might not be as good as you once were, but you're as good once as you ever were, and I might be the one you take that shot with that one time. 😉

Thank you my friend but I would prefer to have your temperament and managerial skills, which I don't have.
I remember you telling me of someone who approached you, quite upset, after watching one of the "news" channels, and how you explained to them, "They (the news channel) wants you to be upset". To me, that's called wisdom.
Fear and rage sells.

My friend...thank you for the kind words. I was wondering why you were on the Bandys side...but assumed you were just taking a lap to warm up for the game.

And you're totally right, people from this corner of NC have that exact disposition...can I take on any and everyone I meet? Though I must say, I've never once thought of squaring up with you, you might not be as good as you once were, but you're as good once as you ever were, and I might be the one you take that shot with that one time. 😉
Bless you, my friend. I don't think I could survive it...I remember why you told me why you worked hard at keeping yourself fit, it was for the sake of your health so you would be there in the future for your family. That's called trying to be a good Father. 👍
Fear and rage sells.
How well it does.

Page Black Gang.....Roger Laney was my auto mechanics teacher

Page Black Gang.....Roger Laney was my auto mechanics teacher
That was a very tough bunch. Some of those guys were warriors, and liked it. Page Black's was a store just across the Lincoln-Catawba line on Buffalo Shoals Road. It was these guys who lived in the East Maiden, Bandys area who would congregate there after hours mainly at night after work and after their dates and talk about their cars, girls, bosses and others they liked or didn't. I suppose it was their version of a hang out like at one of the grills in Newton or Lincolnton or one of the watering establishments in Maiden. It's pretty rural, now, you could imagine what it was fifty years ago.
I think the building is still there and may still be in operation. I passed by what I thought was it, last night. Glad they still don't hang out there.

I had to talk myself out of getting beat up by them when I was fifteen or sixteen. A bunch of them came to Lincolnton where I was working, late one Friday night. Very scary, better not tell about it on here but I'll tell you about it when I see you.

I mentioned in another post how I learned I could talk my way out these dire situations. If that bunch would have told me then, that I had to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict or give them an exact number for pi, with that kind of motivation, I could have done it, no doubt.

Last edited:
Lol, it’s funny you said that. I could picture being in that Prius and AMD in one ot the big diesel trucks and the large exhaust, up on my bumper rushing the motor. Probably be wondering how to gain an edge before he ran over me.
Think I’d do my old man routine, you know hang my mouth open, lean forward and hope he passed me by.
Now, if MC and GDevil wanted to see him finish me off quick, y’all would slip a bumper sticker on the back of my Prius that reads: GREG POUND SAYS GO WOLVES,...that would be the bitter end for me. 🤠

Lol, it’s funny you said that. I could picture being in that Prius and AMD in one ot the big diesel trucks and the large exhaust, up on my bumper rushing the motor. Probably be wondering how to gain an edge before he ran over me.
Think I’d do my old man routine, you know hang my mouth open, lean forward and hope he passed me by.
Now, if MC and GDevil wanted to see him finish me off quick, y’all would slip a bumper sticker on the back of my Prius that reads: GREG POUND SAYS GO WOLVES,...that would be the bitter end for me. 🤠
You would be surprised yes I do have an F-150 but my daily driver is a 2022 Kia Niro hybrid SUV 🤣🤣

You'll know it's me if you ever see an older F-150 with a decal on the back window that says hit it and quit it racing with two cars smashing in each other 🤣🤣
AMD, I gotta say, the F-150 and the KIA SUV do sound more comfortable than my car... By the way, If you happen to get behind a casket gray Prius with one of our aged friends driving, cut him some slack, would you.

I know you have a long time to go but when you get there, 35 MPH feels like your in an airplane. People follow me very close. Going to Bandys Thursday evening, and the biggest truck (not a tractor-trailer) got behind me, and here we go up the Buffalo Shoals Road, HUMMA, HUMMA, HUMMA, HUMMUUUMMUMMA (him rushing the motor). This thing was so big it had lights in top of it. It was as though he was in my back seat...Where do they all come from ? I thought West Lincoln, but they got them in Bandys, too.

I had a bumper sticker that read "Do you follow Jesus this close ?" but that seemed to make them madder. Then I had one that said "Student Driver", which didn't work either. I have to eat, meaning I have to drive to restaurants. If I'd cook at home I'd leave the stove on and burn the damned house down. What's an old ------- man to do.😀

Btw…..I just wanted to say….it had been forever since I went to a game at West Caldwell….maybe 25 years! I had forgotten how big their home side was….massive concrete stands that go all the way to the top of a hill. It’s really a beautiful place. The field was in excellent shape and the surrounding lawn was absolutely immaculate. Concessions were nearby and they serve the works too.

My group enjoyed it…that’s for sure.

I just wanted to share that…I think their stadium is very well maintained for its age…tells me….that somebody over there cares. It’s noticeable!

Just saying!

Btw…..I just wanted to say….it had been forever since I went to a game at West Caldwell….maybe 25 years! I had forgotten how big their home side was….massive concrete stands that go all the way to the top of a hill. It’s really a beautiful place. The field was in excellent shape and the surrounding lawn was absolutely immaculate. Concessions were nearby and they serve the works too.

My group enjoyed it…that’s for sure.

I just wanted to share that…I think their stadium is very well maintained for its age…tells me….that somebody over there cares. It’s noticeable!

Just saying!
Spoken like a champion who follows a championship program.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Tough wkend of football. EB loses, App beats a nobody, and painful to watch the Panthers any more. Well let’s get week 8 poppin’

I may be too 3 in the picks and bracket if someone would post that. Cheer me up guys

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
That nobody is my Alma Mater...and yeah, hard to get kids to commit to a military school.

I wanna let ya know I didn’t say that disrespectfully. Espacially not me being an army guy. Enlisted of course. I couldn’t imagine the mind intensity of being at the Citidel balancing so so much with sports and military training and general major studies all wrapped up in one. I got the craziest respect for military and military schools. I was just talking bout the football aspect of it and the level of play there pretty much what your saying hard to get kids to come to a military school to play football. I do apologize for that anyway.

CVAC current standings

Bunker Hill 3-0
Maiden 3-0
Lincolnton 2-1
Newton Conover 2-1
Bandys 1-2
West Lincoln 1-2
East Burke 0-3
West Caldwell 0-3

Here we go again….gonna be some good ones. Can’t wait to see Bandys.😉

Reactions: GrizzlyDevil
I wanna let ya know I didn’t say that disrespectfully. Espacially not me being an army guy. Enlisted of course. I couldn’t imagine the mind intensity of being at the Citidel balancing so so much with sports and military training and general major studies all wrapped up in one. I got the craziest respect for military and military schools. I was just talking bout the football aspect of it and the level of play there pretty much what your saying hard to get kids to come to a military school to play football. I do apologize for that anyway.
I didn't take it bad...the last time the Citadel was really good at football I think I was 1 or 2 years old haha. No problem

I didn't take it bad...the last time the Citadel was really good at football I think I was 1 or 2 years old haha. No problem
They were REAL good when Mike Houston went over there from Lenior Rhyne.

Won their conference if I recall correctly….I’m pretty sure that was rare for the Bulldogs.

They were REAL good when Mike Houston went over there from Lenior Rhyne.

Won their conference if I recall correctly….I’m pretty sure that was rare for the Bulldogs.
Won conference but couldn't get anything moving in the playoffs. Pretty sure Houston used us as a jumping pad to move up...and went to James Madison...no other reason to leave with the success we were having under him.

Won conference but couldn't get anything moving in the playoffs. Pretty sure Houston used us as a jumping pad to move up...and went to James Madison...no other reason to leave with the success we were having under him.
Coach Thompson was at LR as well….he was a great Coach for the Bears too!

I guess The Citadel looks for Coaches that run the same offense….hence… they always look at .Lenior Rhyne.

At least…back then….but who knows?

GrizzlyDevil, as you've witnessed, I'm an anecdotal sort and I promise to ease up on my stories: In the early 60's a young man from here was a student at the Citadel. He would later retire from the Air Force with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and during his tenure he worked on the original space shuttle.

I didn't know this guy but I worked with his Father who was very proud of his son's accomplishments. He said while his son was at the Citadel the President of the school was General Mark Clark, and that he met him, once when visiting.

He told General Clark about having served in Europe and North Africa during World War II. He went on to tell him about a man he worked with who was always good for a laugh and could tell some of the wildest tales. Finally he told General Clark about how this man who was never taken seriously claimed to have been one of his chauffeurs during the war and asked if that was possible.

General Clark told him that this man was unforgettable and he remembered him quite well and to give a hello.
I thought it was kind of a good human interest story and it kind of warmed the heart a little.:)

KTC Broadcasting has one of those long stretch De Ville type pink Cadillacs, but they would never sell it. For Crown Victoria's check with law enforcement agencies, mainly sheriff's offices. Glad you didn't get hurt AMD.
It sounds like you need something with weight. If someone could find an old Pontiac Grand Prix or Buick Electra.

KTC Broadcasting has one of those long stretch De Ville type pink Cadillacs, but they would never sell it. For Crown Victoria's check with law enforcement agencies, mainly sheriff's offices. Glad you didn't get hurt AMD.
It sounds like you need something with weight. If someone could find an old Pontiac Grand Prix or Buick Electra.

I won 2 trophies last year with a Buick la sabre 3.8 supercharger

I went and got me an old person's car 🤣🤣 I went yesterday and bought a Lincoln Town car for next destruction race 🤣🤣

Didn’t think about the Lincoln. You mentioned old person’s car, I been giving some thought to entering the demolition game. Heard The requirements were a car, a number for the car and sponsors. I can see it now The number “69” Geritol/Ben Gay/Preparation H, Prius. Don’t be surprised if I show up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT