ADVERTISEMENT

Burns vs. Shelby

Bottom line: this offensive line is struggling for Shelby Ill just call it as I see it... When Burns rushed three they got to Bess, we have zero running game meaning they could drop 8 into coverage and still get pressure....

Imagine just how bad it will get next week and then the week after... These Shelby kids better reach WAY down and see what they are made of,it doesnt get any easier from here out..

Congratulations again to the Bulldogs and to all those kids I got the opportunity to help coach over the years at Upper Cleveland, me and Will Setzer told you all years ago during all those up and down years at Upper Cleveland we are preparing you for the High School game, dont worry about the wins in the little league mainly have fun and get better learn the proper technique not just who can get to the edge on a sweep the fastest...... That hard work is paying off fellas, and while you beat my Alma Mater, I am dang proud of you all......

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Bulldogs... The better team won this ball game..

Great to see some success out of all those kids I got to see grow up over the years

Going to be a LONG LONG season for these Golden Lions.....

1-4 after the next two weeks a strong strong possibility

That's gotta be a bittersweet feeling for you... I know you want to see kids you personally coached & helped grow do well

Only people who have never played the game think that wins are automatic. What many of you Cleveland Co. football "fans" on these boards do not understand is that the players who actually play the game are not afraid of their county rivals. It doesn't matter how much hardware you have won in the past, you have to strap it up when you play another county team. This is why you should be humble in victory. Congratulations Burns Bulldogs! To all the non believers!
Exactly! Be humble in victory.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
I was one of those expecting a lopsided loss. Can't say how proud I am of the boys and excited for them on this win. We dont get to celebrate too many victories over Shelby or Crest so when they do come, they are so sweet. It was a tough game that the final score is not reflective of. Good luck Shelby in the remaining games this season.

I'm super proud of the coaching staff and kids. And I apologize to them as well. I didn't give us a chance this week. But in my defense, the AC game is all I had to go by. I hope the team that played tonight plays the rest of the year. I saw the passion tonight that I didn't see 2 weeks ago. Phenomenal win. Congrats.

Reactions: Swo_05 and dmcamp
The team that showed up to the jamboree showed up tonight with one hell of a game plan. The team that showed up to play A Central need not come back. We couldn’t even get set right that night. Tonight we looked pretty damn good.

Bad defense, same line as last year and no Da Da in the backfield =disaster. Time to turn off the music, get rid of trying to be finesse and get back to playing physical football.

That's gotta be a bittersweet feeling for you... I know you want to see kids you personally coached & helped grow do well

Nah man:I used to get all tore up over wins and losses, but I just love the game and want to see all these kids in this county do well...Sun shall rise tomorrow

Final thoughts:

Congratulations again to the Bulldogs and to all those kids I got the opportunity to help coach over the years at Upper Cleveland, me and Will Setzer told you all years ago during all those up and down years at Upper Cleveland we are preparing you for the High School game, and not to worry about the wins in the little league mainly have fun and get better learn the proper technique not just who can get to the edge on a sweep the fastest...... That hard work is paying off fellas, and while you beat my Alma Mater, I am dang proud of you all......

To the Golden Lions: Put it behind you quickly, you can right the ship, but it all comes down to blocking and tackling essentially, and at this point we aren't doing either very well.... It happens, get over it, and get back at it Monday

Last edited:
I could not be happier for Dave He deserves this and tonight was the night for the Dogs . Shelby is a good team and will rebound. Best of luck the rest of the way .

Reactions: shelbyfan1
Gonna be a tough couple weeks for Shelby. Crest then Kings Mountain. OUCH! Looks like a 1-4 start until they get to a winnable game against Mt. Pleasant.

Whoever calls the plays for Burns tonight did a masterful job of setting Shelby up for the kill. Burns tore Shelby up with the counter play to McDowell in the first half. That play is designed to use the defense's speed against itself. It worked to perfection. The true beauty of the play calling at key times is when Burns ran the counter with Pryor late in the 4th quarter for the td. Shelby was caught completely off guard. I am sure the Shelby staff adjusted their D to take the counter play away and expected McDowell to come from the other wing instead of Pryor. Absolutely brilliant play call!

You know I was alittle concerned about Shelby lost to ACR because of how Crest pounded ACR in the jamboree but I wrote it off to ACR just not playing or showing anything in the jamboree.

But wow congrats Burns, huge win for your program!

I want to know how long it’s been since Shelby went 0-3 with CC schools?
We will not know unless it actually happens. All about matchups and play calling. Don’t count SHELBY out. We were the better team tonight. It there are games left to be played in the next two weeks.

The biggest problem had tonight and I’m guessing this far is they are one dimensional. All the pressure is on the young qb. Burns needs to keep developing the offense. What they did from the first game to Shelby game was phenomenal. Got to keep getting better. We got sloppy at times and still fought. Could be a fun year.

When you get to the one yard line two weeks in a row and can't run it in and in fact loose yardage both times. Then in this game we get back down to the one and throw the ding dang ball and loose 15 yards. The Fuller kids was running hard and doing a good job. Give him a chance even if the line can't block. We need to go back to training camp and start all over again. Work on simple old blocking and tackling and get that down and then move onto the fancy stuff. We are plain and simple SOFT AND I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT ABOUT MY LIONS. BUT THE TRUTH HURTS SOMETIMES.

Great job by the Burns kids and that defense! complete 180 from a week ago. A shelby guy summed it up best earlier, Burns got pressure w 3 guys and dared shelby to run it all night. The times that Bess did have to throw, he held on to it too long.
Burns made the big plays when they needed to and they tackled in what little open space they gave Shelby.

I know Pryor came up big in the 4th but CJ Hopper and the rest of the crew got em in that position. The Shelby O line also gets a game ball from us too. Blk & Gold dynasty may still argue w me that oline isnt an issue. lol

Shelby fans, not time to hit the panic button yet, early season games can expose weakness and help correct em by late season. Good luck the rest of the way.

Well Burns...you’ve either done one of two things...

Woke up a sleeping giant

Or

Completely crushed the lions pride for the rest of the season and have given Chase hope for the future of a first ever victory over the lions

Either way. Congrats Bulldogs!

GREAT WIN BULL DOGS see you oct 19 in Lawndale.
Always a good one in Lawndale bro . As far as last night I agree with rev. Bess held the ball way too long and seemed very hesitant to run the football there were several times he could have ran for positive yards. Hes a great athlete and will learn. He put the ball on the money a few times and had drops Seems as if Mitchell was pretty much a non factor

Whoever calls the plays for Burns tonight did a masterful job of setting Shelby up for the kill. Burns tore Shelby up with the counter play to McDowell in the first half. That play is designed to use the defense's speed against itself. It worked to perfection. The true beauty of the play calling at key times is when Burns ran the counter with Pryor late in the 4th quarter for the td. Shelby was caught completely off guard. I am sure the Shelby staff adjusted their D to take the counter play away and expected McDowell to come from the other wing instead of Pryor. Absolutely brilliant play call!
I am pretty sure coach Devine acts as OC since coach pack left a couple of years ago .

Reactions: Swo_05
Everyone given the coach and Pryor credit for that back breaking TD run. Don’t forget the Oline opened up that hole for him with perfect blocking. Thing of beauty.

Reactions: smashmouth5
Good win for Burns last night! Some questions were answered last night... 7on7 doesn't mean anything when it comes to real football, hyped up players with certain last names are that just hyped up, and the grass isn't always greener!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT