ADVERTISEMENT

Burns @ Shelby

Lion Attack

Aug 15, 2010
Like I said recently, things have changed for whatever reason. A game of this magnitude, with so much at stake, and the rivalry in itself, a thread would have been started Friday night before midnight.

Anyway, I like the Lions progression, despite playing in this weak conference, especially defensively. They fly to the football, and they will need that speed versus a very shifty running back in Norris, and a very fast Ben Mauney. I’m more concerned about Mauney hurting us more with his legs.

Shelby has to contain him, keep his scrambling yards to a minimum. Limit him ripping off tons of yardage with his speed, especially on 3rd down. That demoralizes a defense. He also uses his mobility to extend plays, and throw to a very capable group of receivers.

Offensively for Shelby, it begins with the quarterback. The kid has exceeded my expectations as a sophomore quarterback, big time. That’s a hard position to be in, a first year starter and a sophomore at that. That said, he has to manage the game, and realize this is not Highland Tech he will be throwing against. He has had a fantastic year, but to tell it like it is, he’s also had a lot of turnovers versus teams with a pulse Shelby has played. The yards and touchdowns were there, but so were the turnovers. He just needs to play a clean game.

Shelby’s running game has been really good. Tristan Tate has been stellar, period, as the lead back. The sophomore, Jaylen Tate, is really starting to emerge as a good back. Then, there’s Hollifield and Norris contributing with speed and power, respectively. I would like to Shelby feature the running game more vs a Burns defense that hasn’t been good versus the run. Their secondary has looked good, though. This will be a heckuva game. Let’s get those bold predictions!

Last edited:
Shelby by 14
I have thought so, too, low key. I have thought that Shelby will make a statement this game, but then I humble myself. Mauney and Norris are some slick dudes to contain, and they have other players. Plus, the rivalry aspect of it will have this game a real battle. Shelby has to play a clean game, turnover and penalty wise.

I have thought so, too, low key. I have thought that Shelby will make a statement this game, but then I humble myself. Mauney and Norris are some slick dudes to contain, and they have other players. Plus, the rivalry aspect of it will have this game a real battle. Shelby has to play a clean game, turnover and penalty wise.

Mauney and Norris are good enough to keep them in the game and possibly win. But I think if Shelby is on their A game they can pull away.

I think it all depends on the QB play for Shelby. If he has a good game, I think Shelby wins. I'm not excited about Burns' defense this year. From Week 1 to now, I haven't seen much improvement. Granted it's been hard to see because of our schedule. We definitely have the edge in coaching though, and that could be enough to get us a win even if Farmer has a good game. I think the edge goes to Shelby but in all reality it's probably a toss up.

I think it all depends on the QB play for Shelby. If he has a good game, I think Shelby wins. I'm not excited about Burns' defense this year. From Week 1 to now, I haven't seen much improvement. Granted it's been hard to see because of our schedule. We definitely have the edge in coaching though, and that could be enough to get us a win even if Farmer has a good game. I think the edge goes to Shelby but in all reality it's probably a toss up.
💯

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I really hope I can get to this game. Was in a pretty serious wreck last week & just not sure if I'll be able to go. But I really think this is Shelby's game to lose. Burns just isn't there defensively. Allowing way too many big plays and letting teams score that have no business scoring on Burns except maybe in garbage time (Cherryville, Bessemer City). Both scored in the 1st half against Burns. Meanwhile Shelby just keeps getting better. This feels like one of those "two teams going in opposite directions" kinda game.

It's hard for me just as a fan to pick against Burns but this week I gotta pick Shelby. Something like 37-20

The stats and common opponents scores tell us this game is a toss-up:

Common opponents:
Burns 5-2, Shelby 5-2
Burns outscored them 343-135, Shelby 371-108

Burns offense:
Rushing: 1,838 yards
Passing: 1,576 yards
Total: 3,414

Shelby offense:
Rushing: 1,583
Passing 1,973
Total: 3,555

I don’t think things have changed LA. Both teams have their strength and weaknesses and both teams will be fired up. I think as fans we just don’t know this year. Our conference just doesn’t show us enough of how we progressed. Against Crest we struggled at times but two back to back turnovers put us out of that game and gave Crest the ball to go up 10. We couldn’t stop them but they had trouble stopping us too. You cannot turn it over against them. Against KM I thought we turned the corner shutting them out in the second half and having the chance to drive to tie it. Since then we have played nobody up until EG. Were we sleeping on them from conference play being a cakewalk. Are we still getting players healthy? All questions will be answered Friday. One thing that has been proven, Devine will have them prepared. The rest is up to the kids.

Shelby has an advantage kickoff wise. Burns will start those possessions from the 20. Shelby gets the Burns kickoffs maybe around the 30 with a chance for extra kickoff yardage.

I really hope I can get to this game. Was in a pretty serious wreck last week & just not sure if I'll be able to go. But I really think this is Shelby's game to lose. Burns just isn't there defensively. Allowing way too many big plays and letting teams score that have no business scoring on Burns except maybe in garbage time (Cherryville, Bessemer City). Both scored in the 1st half against Burns. Meanwhile Shelby just keeps getting better. This feels like one of those "two teams going in opposite directions" kinda game.

It's hard for me just as a fan to pick against Burns but this week I gotta pick Shelby. Something like 37-20
I hope you have you have a speedy recovery!

Shelby boys are hungry after last year’s embarrassing losses, rightfully so. Anything that needs to have been said has already been said in this thread. Excited for the game but it’s just not the same anymore from a conversation standpoint because there isn’t anything to give us hope or doubts based on tests against other teams. It’s hard to base our tests off the first couple weeks of the season but that’s all there is.

QB play is going to be crucial and I feel like Burns will definitely have the edge there. Personal opinion though is I believe Devine is the difference in this game. From a coaching standpoint he will have them ready come Friday night and there is no denying that.

We Shelby folk,know David will be prepared.
Shelby has come on strong with its running game having at least 4-5 players carrying the rock.
One thing i noticed in Burns- East game was Burms run D seemed weak.
We know Mauney can sling it, i think Shelbys speed at dbs and saftey will be able to blanket rec for most part.
Lan had bad night against East one reason Shelby went to run game.
Hoping he comes in focused.
As said above, Shelby players havent forgot last year.
Also we know Burns has great Rb. But Shelby D has really came alive last few weeks, and they will lay the wood.
Guess we will see what gives come Fri.
But my thoughts are Shelby 34 Burns 21

Shelby has an advantage kickoff wise. Burns will start those possessions from the 20. Shelby gets the Burns kickoffs maybe around the 30 with a chance for extra kickoff yardage.
I wish we'd give it to them at the 30. We'd do better just kicking the ball out of bounds every time. It's embarrassing.

I wish we'd give it to them at the 30. We'd do better just kicking the ball out of bounds every time. It's embarrassing.
Meanwhile our soccer team broke the school record for wins tonight…🤦‍♂️ Happy for them but come on we need a kicker! If Crest can have a Gaffney running back join their team during the 4th quarter then surely we can get a soccer player late in the season. 🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile our soccer team broke the school record for wins tonight…🤦‍♂️ Happy for them but come on we need a kicker! If Crest can have a player join their team during the post game celebration then surely we can get a soccer player late in the season. 🤷‍♂️
We did that in 07 but when refs called a penalty for kicker not wearing a shoe the kicker quit lol

Cleveland County has the Top two high school football games this Friday night: Crest at Kings Mountain and Burns at Shelby. Good teams and great rivalries!!!
I wish the games weren't on the same day. We've been saying all year this should be a double header at Gardner Webb for the whole county to see. That would be awesome.

Shelby by a bunch, and I mean that sincerely. No disrespect to Burns. Shelby is being judged for not being ready early in the season, but they are ready now. Burns just doesn't have it. Thank god for them, because without them this conference is...wow, but Shelby rolls in this one.
By the way - went to my first Shelby game in a few years at homecoming. I moved a few years ago, my son goes to Kings Mountain, I work in Charlotte - etc. I didn't miss many Shelby games between the early 80's and 2015 or so. That was a very different vibe at the stadium. No one seemed engaged, and the home side was about 2/3 full. Sad to see really.

Shelby by a bunch, and I mean that sincerely. No disrespect to Burns. Shelby is being judged for not being ready early in the season, but they are ready now. Burns just doesn't have it. Thank god for them, because without them this conference is...wow, but Shelby rolls in this one.
By the way - went to my first Shelby game in a few years at homecoming. I moved a few years ago, my son goes to Kings Mountain, I work in Charlotte - etc. I didn't miss many Shelby games between the early 80's and 2015 or so. That was a very different vibe at the stadium. No one seemed engaged, and the home side was about 2/3 full. Sad to see really.
In 21 we had some huge crowds and won 15 games and state championship. The last two years we have been down some. Also the economy is so bad and with such high inflation it makes it tough on families to go to a lot of games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT