ADVERTISEMENT

Big south week 1

LOL- yeah these guys always just so happen to play a sport.
Also- I think you guys missed my entire point. I would NOT be happy or reception to having a bunch of transfers come to the local HS. I am about community and ours vs. yours. If yours aren't good enough, and you have to go get others then what kind of fabric is that community built out of? Just a difference in opinions I guess. I also despise the transfer portal in college athletics too - lol.
It's only an issue if the kid is an impact player in a sport. Benchwarmer, noone would say a word or care. There are many more kids that don't play sports that transfer from Gaston to Cleveland county schools. Housing is definitely going to play a huge part even more soon. I stay in Gaston County, the rental homes were I stay were $1500-1800 3 years ago. The lowest rate i have seen this year is $2200 and have one that was $2900. Places were occupied in less than 2 weeks.

So if your local school had superior coaching, facilities, support and academics to go along with a better social environment, and kids(athletes) wanted to come and be apart of that to try to further their playing careers and improve academically, you wouldn't welcome them? It's about the kids and opportunities for them, not my community versus your community. If the opportunity presents itself, just like we as adults have to take advantage of moves we aren't comfortable with sometimes, you have to go with what maybe better for your future.

Reactions: shutdownD24
It's only an issue if the kid is an impact player in a sport. Benchwarmer, noone would say a word or care. There are many more kids that don't play sports that transfer from Gaston to Cleveland county schools. Housing is definitely going to play a huge part even more soon. I stay in Gaston County, the rental homes were I stay were $1500-1800 3 years ago. The lowest rate i have seen this year is $2200 and have one that was $2900. Places were occupied in less than 2 weeks.

So if your local school had superior coaching, facilities, support and academics to go along with a better social environment, and kids(athletes) wanted to come and be apart of that to try to further their playing careers and improve academically, you wouldn't welcome them? It's about the kids and opportunities for them, not my community versus your community. If the opportunity presents itself, just like we as adults have to take advantage of moves we aren't comfortable with sometimes, you have to go with what maybe better for your future.
💯 facts. Rental prices are becoming a huge issue in Gaston County right now. Gaston, Mecklenburg, and Asheville city limits home and rental prices are soaring if you want a decent place.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurnsBullDog02
You do not know what you speak of. You just talking now. SP wanted him on varsity as a freshman. The backup plan was to move Ford to running back if he didn’t come. Do not think that SP doesn’t try to get kids also. Most of the GC high school reach out to the GC middle school kids if they think they can get them. Stop with the holier than thou crap. SP has done this for years also. That’s no hate, just facts.
Is that right? Who have they reached out to? Who has come from another school to SP? Make believe and just saying something out loud doesn't make anything a fact. Boosters and hangers on types aren't coaches. Neither I and definitely not the hang arounds speak for those coaches. Belmont doesn't have a youth AAU consultant roaming the greater area looking for players unlike other places (apparently).

From what I hear there is no better place in the world for academics and social life (small class setting) than Highland Tech. I will just have to wait to see when they start getting their doors beaten in with transfers.

Is that right? Who have they reached out to? Who has come from another school to SP? Make believe and just saying something out loud doesn't make anything a fact. Boosters and hangers on types aren't coaches. Neither I and definitely not the hang arounds speak for those coaches. Belmont doesn't have a youth AAU consultant roaming the greater area looking for players unlike other places (apparently).
Lol. You are funny. SP not getting players from middle school to come to SP is definitely not from a lack of effort. You also contradict yourself. Hanger on types aren’t coaches at KM either. Now you see how that works?

From what I hear there is no better place in the world for academics and social life (small class setting) than Highland Tech. I will just have to wait to see when they start getting their doors beaten in with transfers.
My daughter went to Highland. She has been out of HS for 12 years, but at the time she started you had to be picked during the lottery, good attendance and I think a B average in 8 grade. I don't think they take transfers (unless you were part of the lottery). Excellent school. I think they are still top 10 in NC.

I’m just going to put my 2 cents worth into this conversation because I have been (well sons were ) part of a mass exodus from a school.. everyone left because of the coach. 8 players and all were starters the year they left and 2 the year before one was a legit stud d1 kid. And it was the absolute BEST decision that those kids made !! I can only speak for my sons but they were absolutely miserable and had grown to hate football but with the move their grades vastly improved and absolutely loved football again.
I know this situation isn’t exactly what’s being talked about here but sometimes changes need to be made… most of these kids have played football their entire lives and once they get to high school it’s only 4 years of football and when that’s over they will never put on a helmet again… if a kid moves to a better situation GREAT

Lol. You are funny. SP not getting players from middle school to come to SP is definitely not from a lack of effort. You also contradict yourself. Hanger on types aren’t coaches at KM either. Now you see how that works?
I don't contradict myself...I was speaking about SP hanger ons and boosters. Nobody is recruiting at SP. You can't and won't find anybody. Still waiting to hear about all these (or just ONE) of these recruited players from somewhere else that has played at SP.

LOL. I wanted to tell him but that was your task to do.

Bravo.
It was a joke....kinda like saying kids move to CC county schools for the education/social side of things. That's right folks...it's the pumpkin patches and English department that has all the constant transfers in county and from out of county into CC....and not athletics.

I’m just going to put my 2 cents worth into this conversation because I have been (well sons were ) part of a mass exodus from a school.. everyone left because of the coach. 8 players and all were starters the year they left and 2 the year before one was a legit stud d1 kid. And it was the absolute BEST decision that those kids made !! I can only speak for my sons but they were absolutely miserable and had grown to hate football but with the move their grades vastly improved and absolutely loved football again.
I know this situation isn’t exactly what’s being talked about here but sometimes changes need to be made… most of these kids have played football their entire lives and once they get to high school it’s only 4 years of football and when that’s over they will never put on a helmet again… if a kid moves to a better situation GREAT
of course...agree about the last part.
But, we all know what is going on in CC and other places around the state isn't that situation. My point is...these parents and proxy - the kids- think they're making NFL "business" decisions when it's just HS football.... and they're just an average or slightly above average player. Now- you go poll those transfer parents and I'd bet your house that 90% of them think he is D1 and maybe pro (lol) material. We all live amongst and hear these people; yall know it's true.

It was a joke....kinda like saying kids move to CC county schools for the education/social side of things. That's right folks...it's the pumpkin patches and English department that has all the constant transfers in county and from out of county into CC....and not athletics.
You must have no connections between the two systems if you think the transfer from gaston to Cleveland for educational purposes isn't real. I don't know these numbers now but as an example, when my kid started elementary school in kings mountain, the roughly 50 kindergarten students, over 15 were paying transfer kids including mine. Meaning they stayed out of county. $1414 per year was worth it to me and others to attend the # 3 ranked elementary in NC at the time.

As I stated in a previous post, just talked with a gaston county parent of a middle schooler about this very same thing. Kid plays a sport (not a starter) but moving schools for those 2 things. Probably won't be an issue since kid currently isn't more than a role player but if he blossoms and grow his dad's size, it would be that Cleveland County recruited him early.

Last edited:
You must have no connections between the two systems if you think the transfer from gaston to Cleveland for educational purposes isn't real. I don't know these numbers now but as an example, when my kid started elementary school in kings mountain, the roughly 50 kindergarten students, over 15 were paying transfer kids including mine. Meaning they stayed out of county. $1414 per year was worth it to me and others to attend the # 3 ranked elementary in NC at the time.

As I stated in a previous post, just talked with a gaston county parent of a middle schooler about this very same thing. Kid plays a sport (not a starter) but moving schools for those 2 things. Probably won't be an issue since kid currently isn't more than a role player but if he blossoms and grow his dad's size, it would be that Cleveland County recruited him early.
The vast majority of the transfers are educational. Parents trying to get their kids into highly rated schools. The easiest options for Gaston County parents are CMS, private school, and Cleveland County. KM is the closest CC school and share boundaries and overlapping city lines into Gaston County. The first couple of things that families look at when buying or renting a home is zip code and what schools their kids are zoned for. If any Gaston County school has a gripe then it would be East Gaston. Those guys have lost multiple studs through the years to East Lincoln, Mountain Island Charter, and yes those wholesome guys who only drink milk, rescue kittens from trees and save old ladies in distress- South Point High School.

The vast majority of the transfers are educational. Parents trying to get their kids into highly rated schools. The easiest options for Gaston County parents are CMS, private school, and Cleveland County. KM is the closest CC school and share boundaries and overlapping city lines into Gaston County. The first couple of things that families look at when buying or renting a home is zip code and what schools their kids are zoned for. If any Gaston County school has a gripe then it would be East Gaston. Those guys have lost multiple studs through the years to East Lincoln, Mountain Island Charter, and yes those wholesome guys who only drink milk, rescue kittens from trees and save old ladies in distress- South Point High School.
Add in piedmont charter with their nice new campus. East Gaston will start losing more with the new charter school being built in Stanley currently.

Add in piedmont charter with their nice new campus. East Gaston will start losing more with the new charter school being built in Stanley current

What SD24 said.... many many well known names.

What SD24 said.... many many well known names.
Who?
Give me initials. I know of one ...... DJ from about 11-12 years ago that transfered (MOVED) in. 95% of his family is from Belmont and they came to SP. That's it.

Reactions: crest91
LMAO. I also know NG, HH and BC have a graduation rate of 5% lower than all the other schools in Gaco and Cleveland Counties do which are all 90-92%. I guess nobody from those 3 schools wanted to try to get into FV or Ashbrook who have the exact same graduation rate.
EG gets plundered by MIC and EL...that's it. Nobody in Belmont wants or needs any EG players. Never have. This is really laughable when you consider the all time win/loss is 82 % in SPs favor. You got them pegged though...here's what they do. Sit back, twirl their mustaches and say aloud "I've got it - we shall capture all that glorious football talent from Stanley and parts of MH!!!".
Sorry - St. Cramer has already tried that and it ain't working for them either.

Who?
Give me initials. I know of one ...... DJ from about 11-12 years ago that transfered (MOVED) in. 95% of his family is from Belmont and they came to SP. That's it.
More have exited to MIC and EL.

Robert Washington
Surratts
Nash

There are others I just cant recall. I'm old.

Who?
Lol I guess you aren’t as in the loop as what you think. I am not knocking SP by any means if players go there but SP has definitely benefited from athletes moving into their district and this go back years and I mean years. I remember being a kid and SP forfeiting a win over KM due to using an ineligible player that gave KM a conference championship in the Southwestern 3A conference in 86 after KM, Shelby, and SP finished in a three way tie for 1st. This kid was an absolute stud that played for Ashbrook, lived in EG district, and transferred to SP. SP had to forfeit all their wins that season. Willie Strain was setting records at Gaston Day but somehow ended up at SP in 87 lol. That’s only the beginning. I can go all the way back to that and work my way up through 2022 if you want that. The 80’s, 90’s, and the 2000’s. SP somehow managed to get stud football players from other districts for five decades now lol.

LMAO. I also know NG, HH and BC have a graduation rate of 5% lower than all the other schools in Gaco and Cleveland Counties do which are all 90-92%. I guess nobody from those 3 schools wanted to try to get into FV or Ashbrook who have the exact same graduation rate.
EG gets plundered by MIC and EL...that's it. Nobody in Belmont wants or needs any EG players. Never have. This is really laughable when you consider the all time win/loss is 82 % in SPs favor. You got them pegged though...here's what they do. Sit back, twirl their mustaches and say aloud "I've got it - we shall capture all that glorious football talent from Stanley and parts of MH!!!".
Sorry - St. Cramer has already tried that and it ain't working for them either.
Graduation rates have nothing to do with the quality of the education. They pass people now on social promotion. Do you know any teacher or education administrators that has served both Gaston or Cleveland county? If so, ask them about the curriculum. Curriculum helps with college readiness and they will tell you it's a major difference between the 2. Same as a lot of charters use a higher curriculum than most traditional publics, you see a higher number in college preparedness numbers and not many dropping out once in technical college or the university system.

Lol I guess you aren’t as in the loop as what you think. I am not knocking SP by any means if players go there but SP has definitely benefited from athletes moving into their district and this go back years and I mean years. I remember being a kid and SP forfeiting a win over KM due to using an ineligible player that gave KM a conference championship in the Southwestern 3A conference in 86 after KM, Shelby, and SP finished in a three way tie for 1st. This kid was an absolute stud that played for Ashbrook, lived in EG district, and transferred to SP. SP had to forfeit all their wins that season. Willie Strain was setting records at Gaston Day but somehow ended up at SP in 87 lol. That’s only the beginning. I can go all the way back to that and work my way up through 2022 if you want that. The 80’s, 90’s, and the 2000’s. SP somehow managed to get stud football players from other districts for five decades now lol.
I'm not in any loop....but being a lifelong Belmont resident I know where Willie and his two brothers (and sisters) lived, which bus they rode to Cramerton Junior High, and that there was absolutely ZERO question where he should or could go to HS. You are getting Junior ("Howard" at Clemson) Hall and Willie confused. Junior left Gaston Day for Ashbrook...and was an absolute stud everywhere he played.
I would like for you to give me names. If SP has 3 of them in two decades they will have set the record for least amount of cheating in NC HS history.

Stud football players are honed and developed in Belmont, not imported. I know of two players from Mount Holly that moved to Belmont (moved) in order to play at SP...one I've mentioned already. It wasn't 6-7 kids in one year doing it...... 2 in a couple decades. You are just making up stories....with no names.

I'm not in any loop....but being a lifelong Belmont resident I know where Willie and his two brothers (and sisters) lived, which bus they rode to Cramerton Junior High, and that there was absolutely ZERO question where he should or could go to HS. You are getting Junior ("Howard" at Clemson) Hall and Willie confused. Junior left Gaston Day for Ashbrook...and was an absolute stud everywhere he played.
I would like for you to give me names. If SP has 3 of them in two decades they will have set the record for least amount of cheating in NC HS history.

Stud football players are honed and developed in Belmont, not imported. I know of two players from Mount Holly that moved to Belmont (moved) in order to play at SP...one I've mentioned already. It wasn't 6-7 kids in one year doing it...... 2 in a couple decades. You are just making up stories....with no names.
You are 100% correct. That was Junior Hall. My bad. Yep Willie attended Cramerton Middle or junior high at that time. Both kids were absolute monsters in high school.

All trash talk to the side for a moment. Good solid wins to start the season for Huss, SP, and KM. Great win for Crest. Ashbrook, Cramer, FV, and NG have to step it up a lot more. I knew that Forest Hills would be a very tough opener for Ashbrook, FH have great size/athleticism for a 2A school with a rich football tradition. FH will be in the thick of it for a 2A title later this year but Ashbrook to get 44 hung on them is disappointing. For all the noise that I give Huss right now, the Huskies would not have given up 44 points to FH. The back half of the Big South has to step it up. I currently have Crest and KM at the top of the Big South with SP third and Huss trying to chase SP down.

All trash talk to the side for a moment. Good solid wins to start the season for Huss, SP, and KM. Great win for Crest. Ashbrook, Cramer, FV, and NG have to step it up a lot more. I knew that Forest Hills would be a very tough opener for Ashbrook, FH have great size/athleticism for a 2A school with a rich football tradition. FH will be in the thick of it for a 2A title later this year but Ashbrook to get 44 hung on them is disappointing. For all the noise that I give Huss right now, the Huskies would not have given up 44 points to FH. The back half of the Big South has to step it up. I currently have Crest and KM at the top of the Big South with SP third and Huss trying to chase SP down.
Very disappointed in Ashbrook
All the talk was they were better.
FH is a tough game , but getting 44 hung on you with the likes of KM and Crest ahead does not look promising for the Greenwave

Bottom line if SP is down some the Big South is just not very good as a whole this year. I would not call the Huss win over Draughn a solid win. I will say that KM and Crest are two of the best 3A teams in the state if not the best two.

Bottom line if SP is down some the Big South is just not very good as a whole this year. I would not call the Huss win over Draughn a solid win. I will say that KM and Crest are two of the best 3A teams in the state if not the best two.
I am not sure how many kids Draugn had returning but those guys were solid last year. Draughn finished 13-2 and made it all the way to the 1A semi-finals. I knew that Huss speed and athleticism would be a problem for them but Draughn’s discipline and execution are the type of things that have given the Huskies trouble the last few years. We will have to see how both teams seasons play out but I definitely agree with a relatively young Huss team opening against Draughn versus over scheduling someone like a Chambers or other state powerhouse that they have no business playing. I do agree with you that the Big South is becoming too heavy.

I am not sure how many kids Draugn had returning but those guys were solid last year. Draughn finished 13-2 and made it all the way to the 1A semi-finals. I knew that Huss speed and athleticism would be a problem for them but Draughn’s discipline and execution are the type of things that have given the Huskies trouble the last few years. We will have to see how both teams seasons play out but I definitely agree with a relatively young Huss team opening against Draughn versus over scheduling someone like a Chambers or other state powerhouse that they have no business playing. I do agree with you that the Big South is becoming too heavy.
Not sure the amount draughn returned either, i know their qb, te, rb returned but receivers looked young and out of sinc. The line looked good at times. As much as i would like to agree with you on a solid win, huss didnt play that well. Should've, would've, could've, they left 28 points on the field in the first quarter. 2 dropped td passes, 1 other was over thrown receiver couldnt get his foot down, and a rushing score called back for a bonehead block in the back. 2nd quarter was a cramp fest. From what i could see the AT went through 2 jars of pickle juice by the third quarter. Depth on both lines may become an issue when the meat of the cobference comes. Big wins over in cc this week good job fellas hope everyone stayed healty

Not sure the amount draughn returned either, i know their qb, te, rb returned but receivers looked young and out of sinc. The line looked good at times. As much as i would like to agree with you on a solid win, huss didnt play that well. Should've, would've, could've, they left 28 points on the field in the first quarter. 2 dropped td passes, 1 other was over thrown receiver couldnt get his foot down, and a rushing score called back for a bonehead block in the back. 2nd quarter was a cramp fest. From what i could see the AT went through 2 jars of pickle juice by the third quarter. Depth on both lines may become an issue when the meat of the cobference comes. Big wins over in cc this week good job fellas hope everyone stayed healty
First game of season so don’t be to critical, all teams make mistakes early. The biggest improvements are usually between the first and second game. I do agree the Huss line depth on both sides is a huge concern. One thing that I do know is that it is always better for high school teams trying to build a winning program to start 1-0 versus 0-1.

Reactions: Babyhewey
First game of season so don’t be to critical, all teams make mistakes early. The biggest improvements are usually between the first and second game. I do agree the Huss line depth on both sides is a huge concern. One thing that I do know is that it is always better for high school teams trying to build a winning program to start 1-0 versus 0-1.
Definitely helps recruit the hallways when both teams are winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT