ADVERTISEMENT

Burns (7-2) at Shelby (8-1) for the Southern Piedmont 1A/2A conference championship.

notanyonesfan

Oct 1, 2016
Might as well go ahead and get it started. My initial thoughts are for Burns to win they will have to play their absolute best game of the season so far and will have to catch Shelby on their worst night so far. Most of you know I'm a Burns fan, but I also live in reality. I'm hoping it'll be a great ball game next Friday night at Shelby, but I feel like it could get out of hand really quick if Burns gets starry eyed.. Hopefully both will come out of it with atleast 1 home playoff game no matter what and healthy... I'm not gonna make a prediction for now other than saying Shelby will be the heavy favorites. 6 days and counting.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Might as well go ahead and get it started. My initial thoughts are for Burns to win they will have to play their absolute best game of the season so far and will have to catch Shelby on their worst night so far. Most of you know I'm a Burns fan, but I also live in reality. I'm hoping it'll be a great ball game next Friday night at Shelby, but I feel like it could get out of hand really quick if Burns gets starry eyed.. Hopefully both will come out if it with atleast 1 home playoff game no matter what.. I'm not gonna make a prediction for now other than saying Shelby will be they heavy favorites. 6 days and counting.
Shelby rolls

Reactions: notanyonesfan
I will say it was a pretty good game a few months ago back in the spring. Shelby won 20-18. So you never now, that's why you line up and play I suppose.

Shelby's front 7 is really good, if they come to play like tonight, there just plain nasty!!
For long time East was with negative yards.
1st half the offense was clicking, but with score up high, and Coach sending in subs it was sloppy in 2nd half.
As for next week, our kids been looking for this day..we will have to come out, not commit turnovers.and pop Burns in mouth.
DD always has a great game plan for us.
This will be Sr night, Santana Hopper, Miliki Hamrick, Porky, and Allen all will be missed.

This game is all about matchups. The way EG matched up against us vs. how they matchup with Shelby is not a comparison worth talking about. On paper does not matter and common opponents is a waste of time. Burns fans have been hard on the team but we have two losses by a combined 13 points. One loss was to KM and we scored the game winner but it was called back. Watauga got their players back the night we played and have not had an issue since.
My biggest concern with Burns has nothing to do with play calling, player execution, or who has beat which team by how much. PENALTIES! That is the one thing that can beat you regardless of how good or bad the team in front of you is. We almost had 200 yards in penalties last night according to the stats I saw. We have to clean that up regardless of whether we win or lose next week. 200 yards will send you to the house in round 1 quick.
Shelby and Burns CAN be a good game but we have to play mistake free and give it a shot. No prediction because predicting 15-18 year old young men is about impossible.

Coach Devine will come up with a good game plan and keep it close for a bit but i think Shelby is a couple of TD's better but with a Cleveland County rivalry you just never know. Go Dogs!

I think it will be a great ball game ! Burns will matchup athlete to athlete as good as any team will or has so far this season I think

if we pressure Mauney like I believe we will we should have a good night . We have to have eyes on Thompson at all times he’s a game changer and Mauney will target him a bunch

I've now seen both teams, Shelby is better and I think they will win. That Shelby defense is impressive. Big rivalry game, so who knows what will happen. I guess (but not really sure), but if Burns was to win it might help EG in the overall RPI rankings.

Last edited:
Porky has become a great Db. He has gotten great at blanket coverage.
I'm sure he be on Thompson.
The D will be prepared and ready. Big baby (77) will be back to anchor middle.
I'm thinking Shelby by 3 Tds can Burns cover all these Shelby rec. Thompson, Williams, Maze , Hamilton, Bridges to many weapons

Porky has become a great Db. He has gotten great at blanket coverage.
I'm sure he be on Thompson.
The D will be prepared and ready. Big baby (77) will be back to anchor middle.
I'm thinking Shelby by 3 Tds can Burns cover all these Shelby rec. Thompson, Williams, Maze , Hamilton, Bridges to many weapons
How did AC Reynolds cover all 12 of those receivers?

Yeah and your talking 2 games into . season with new Qb,
All have improved greatly., Let's just see what Burns can do Fri. With them..

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Yeah and your talking 2 games into . season with new Qb,
All have improved greatly., Let's just see what Burns can do Fri. With them..
We all know Shelby is the heavy favorites in this game. We all know what they can do. Let's just line up Friday and see what happens.

Listen, we all know that Shelby is a double digit favorite in this game, and they should be. They're strength on defense is our weakness on offense. The line of scrimmage. If we're all honest, this game will be over at halftime.

However, this is the first game in a long time that the Bulldogs know they need to give it everything they have to have a chance to win. It's hard to prepare every week for inferior opponents. Hopefully that will have us playing our best game of the year. Like someone said earlier, 2018 happened. So we've got a shot.

It’s a hell of an advantage playing in this county. To play Shelby the week before playoffs is the best test we could have prior. The conference championship comes down to all 4 teams in this county. Enough said. After playing the majority of teams in our conference, having to gut one out against EG and playing Shelby last we can’t say we were not prepared.

Shelby is favored as they should be. We may not hear the gun go off before it’s already over. But….as good as Shelby is they are not unbeatable. Burns has a good team and many athletes too. If they play their very best anything can happen. Burns should have won last year and for some reason the Bulldogs tend to play best when they are the underdogs.

Shelby coaching staff been doing a great job, getting kids to buy in how important games are, just like this past week, they made them realize that East was comming with confidence, The Defense responded well,
Defense and special teams set the tone.
Shelby knows Burns is good and good coaching staff, they will come in all business

Might as well go ahead and get it started. My initial thoughts are for Burns to win they will have to play their absolute best game of the season so far and will have to catch Shelby on their worst night so far. Most of you know I'm a Burns fan, but I also live in reality. I'm hoping it'll be a great ball game next Friday night at Shelby, but I feel like it could get out of hand really quick if Burns gets starry eyed.. Hopefully both will come out of it with atleast 1 home playoff game no matter what and healthy... I'm not gonna make a prediction for now other than saying Shelby will be the heavy favorites. 6 days and counting.
DOGS in a MILD UPSET.

Reactions: UNC91
Shelby is favored as they should be. We may not hear the gun go off before it’s already over. But….as good as Shelby is they are not unbeatable. Burns has a good team and many athletes too. If they play their very best anything can happen. Burns should have won last year and for some reason the Bulldogs tend to play best when they are the underdogs.
Underdogs we are. We lost to Watauga and KM then we were forgotten. You either respond or regret at that point.

Underdogs we are. We lost to Watauga and KM then we were forgotten. You either respond or regret at that point.
I was wondering- say we were undefeated at this point. I’d say Shelby would still be favored. Shelby is usually favored regardless.
No disrespect to KM but we all but beat them. They have improved through the season but they beat us with one long pass near the end of the game. We had many opportunities to put them away but just did not. Watauga- we should have beat them. We were up 14-0 and we had the ball 1st and goal 2 times in the course of the game and came away with nothing. They had “large” boys who hammered it down our throats when we began to tire but we lost still fighting. I think Burns is ready to be the team they were expected to be early on. Can Shelby run it with consistency? I think they will need to. We can score points too. If we cut out the mistakes- I like our chances. I’ll never forget the game at Shelby several years back where they were leading 27-7 at the half and we still won.

Burns run defense sucks, why shouldn't we be able to run it.
Burns will face best defense they seen all year...Qb better hope they don't play Maliki at DE or he be running for his life.

Lawn, u been sipping on something today,🤣🤣🤣, u know that there not going be a upset, and no better coach, our coaching staff not going worry bout hurting DD feelings like past years..🤣🤣🤣

But you can't run. They might as well have a 2 man front
Hate to tell u, but go back in resent yrs Lance use to pass pass pass then near playoffs start running away, ask Clinton the year in championship game, we hadn't run much all year and Chad Reid had 200 yrds..
Don't be fooled, was near 100 on Fri..

Lol. U know better, I have 4 reserve seats u wanna sit on Shelby side with me, I'm tailgating before game, with cold ones...

• Haha
I was wondering- say we were undefeated at this point. I’d say Shelby would still be favored. Shelby is usually favored regardless.
No disrespect to KM but we all but beat them. They have improved through the season but they beat us with one long pass near the end of the game. We had many opportunities to put them away but just did not. Watauga- we should have beat them. We were up 14-0 and we had the ball 1st and goal 2 times in the course of the game and came away with nothing. They had “large” boys who hammered it down our throats when we began to tire but we lost still fighting. I think Burns is ready to be the team they were expected to be early on. Can Shelby run it with consistency? I think they will need to. We can score points too. If we cut out the mistakes- I like our chances. I’ll never forget the game at Shelby several years back where they were leading 27-7 at the half and we still won.
So what you are saying is that THE MIGHTY BULLDOGS are ALMOST UNDEFEATED. If THE VERY YOUNG MOUNTIES had not been beaten by THE GOLDEN LIONS the YOUNG MOUNTIES would also be ALMOST UNDEFEATED . If i had 999 thousand dollars i would ALMOST be a MILLIONAIRE.

Hate to tell u, but go back in resent yrs Lance use to pass pass pass then near playoffs start running away, ask Clinton the year in championship game, we hadn't run much all year and Chad Reid had 200 yrds..
Don't be fooled, was near 100 on Fri..
Last Spring you got re sent home in the playoffs when you had a decent running game. This time around.....

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Chop,, our Rb got leg injury last game of year, didn't play in playoffs at all.
So we had no running game...
We will run it when needed...

And u hoping like hell Burns puts fight up...
Love fact u can't stand us winning

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
I’m not going to comment again on this thread. I don’t like Shelby arrogance. Keep your “Titanic” attitude. The “impossible” didn’t go well for that unsinkable ship. And don’t bother to respond- I’m not reading anymore of this junk. We are talking about kids playing a game and impressionable kids read this stuff. Every team has a weakness. Think what you want- but Burns can win. App beat number 14 Coastal Carolina after getting thumped the week before and they said Coastal had a flawless passing game and smothering defense too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT