ADVERTISEMENT

SW Edgecombe 8-2 vs Red Springs 5-5

SWE'98

Aug 17, 2010
Red Springs makes the long trip up I95 to face the Cougars tonight. I'm in tuned with most of eastern NC football but I have to admit that I know nothing of this team other than stats that I can find online. Those stats suggests that SWE should roll in this one, but we all know that the playoffs can bring out the best or it can bring out the nerves.
The teams that SWE have defeated have a combined record of 39-41. The record of teams we lost to is 17-2. (56-43 total) The combined record of teams Red Springs has defeated is 6-44. The record for teams they lost to is 33-17. (39-61 total) SWE averages 38ppg. Red Springs averages 18ppg. Our offense alone should be enough to overwhelm their defense (27ppg), but those that follow me know that I don't think that we have a good defense ourselves (25ppg). I wouldn't be surprised to see us allow more than their average output. God help us if we do, because Red Springs does not appear to have a threatening offense, at least on the scoreboard. Despite the point total difference, the average yards per game isn't that far apart, with SWE holding a 367-324 advantage. Half of theirs comes through the air, whereas we seldom do that.
I think we should be able to run right through these guys at will. Their results suggest that when facing a team with half a pulse, the games aren't close. I'm hoping it'll be more of the same tonight.
I'm just glad to be hosting a playoff game again!

10 minutes till kickoff. Not a single person is in the visitor's stands. First time I've ever seen zero fans. Not even mom lol.

• Wow
Reactions: Maiden Creek
5 straight flags to start for RS. False start, illegal shift, false start, ineligible man, holding. Good Lord.

SWE opened the drive with two 10+yard plays, then got stuffed with a penalty, good defense, and a fumble, recovered by the offense. Turnover on downs at the Red Springs 18.

I see what kind of game this is gonna be. 3/4 of the plays have had a flag thrown on either team. Can't get into the flow of the game.

Another fumble by SWE. Both have been during the handoff. Recovered by offense.

1st and goal from the 3, flag for false start. Nobody saw it but the ref that threw the flag.

End of 1. RS with the ball at the 50. The longest 1st quarter I've ever seen. Neither team has been able to get anything going. It's a flag every other play.

SWE with the interception, returned to the RS 30 something. Then I thought I saw a canary. But it was a flag on the return. And the refs are having a 10 minute discussion about it. All for a holding call on SWE.

Another flag before the next play lol.
At this point, even if it benefits us, don't throw it.

I'm sitting at the top with a camo beanie and a black jacket. Come on up
I see ya. I'm on the opposite side of the box. Gray coat. Black toboggan with gray stripe. I'll come over at halftime.

36 yard pass to the 20. 3 times so far that we've whiffed on the tackle when the receivers catch the ball.

Penalties and good defense makes it 4th and 25 from the SWE 35. Time out.

35 yard touchdown pass. Everyone thought it was intercepted. I guess the receiver stole it on the ground. Idk.
14-7

4th and 3 at the 15...flag. I'll take it though.... offsides. First down.

RS converts another 4th down around midfield. On the next play, one ref threw 2 flags. He dropped one, then threw another. Never saw one with 2 in his pocket lol.

10 yard TD run, with 13 sec left in half. Missed XP.
21-13

SWE ball at own 29. 1 second left, and SWE runs ball all the way down to the RS 17. Flag during and after the play on both teams gives SWE an untimed down at the 22. Incomplete pass.

8:30, and it's finally halftime. If you judge this game based on seeds, then we look horrible so far. Yes, we've had two ints, but we've still given up a lot of yards through the air, and we've also had two fumbles. But the most glaring issue is the fact that we aren't exactly winning the LOS. Especially on offense. We're moving the ball based on the athleticism of our backs alone. The RS D line is shedding blocks quickly and for that reason, our big bruising back has been shut down. Our quick back is getting his, but it's all on his ability to juke and be quick. Winning the game isn't a given for SWE right now. And even we do win, playing like this will send us home next week.
SWE 21
RS 13

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Tough game to watch. For sure. But they did get extremely lucky completing those two passes .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT