ADVERTISEMENT

Oak Grove @ North Davidson round 2 take 2

SCRballer

May 17, 2018
Well the battle to move on comes back to the CCC rivals. Last year OG beat ND in the regular season only to be pounded by ND in the first round of the playoffs. What will happen this year? IDK but if OG can fix some small mistakes and miscues it should be a good ballgame. They went with their freshman QB for the entire game in round 1 and were able to pull out a win (first playoff win in the short schools history). If they don't make some better decisions there and block a bit better ND may just make it a repeat of last years playoff game. I expect Coach Holcolmb to have the kids better prepared than last year and keep this game close.

Well now, here we are again. For the second year in a row these two rivals meet in thr playoffs, and this time in the second round no less.

Wondering how OG changing QBs might have an effect on this one, or if ND will simply clamp down on defense once again. Also, how will the OG defense adjust as opposed to last time?

All of these questions and more will be answered, next Friday on Dragonball Z!... I mean, ND vs OG!

Reactions: SCRballer
The smurf bears are part ledford. Knowing them they got some little man syndrome boiling over to beat ND. Especially after nearly getting shut out in the regular season.😂

The ND QB is playing vey well and the defense has proven it can stop the OG offense. A 9th grade QB will not beat ND or anyone deeper than the first round. ND 31-14

Reactions: BulldogJacket85
The smurf bears are part ledford. Knowing them they got some little man syndrome boiling over to beat ND. Especially after nearly getting shut out in the regular season.😂

I know you’re happy that the CCC is going to be kind of cruddy again after the football schools leave (except Salisbury).
It’s Salisbury’s conference now. Thomasville might manage second most of the next 4 years.

3A will be an adventure, and probably more challenging most years. It can’t be any less profitable though. Thomasville, Lexington, Salisbury, West, East, S Rowan, all average about 75 fans for a road game.

I know you’re happy that the CCC is going to be kind of cruddy again after the football schools leave (except Salisbury).
It’s Salisbury’s conference now. Thomasville might manage second most of the next 4 years.

3A will be an adventure, and probably more challenging most years. It can’t be any less profitable though. Thomasville, Lexington, Salisbury, West, East, S Rowan, all average about 75 fans for a road game.

Honestly it should be more fun than last time we were in the Yadkin Valley 1A. Salisbury and North Rowan will make good rivals.

Cruddy conference? ND and ledford move down from 4A/3A to fail winning a 2A championship doesn't give the CCC any credit.

Uh yeah... low/mid tier 3A "Football" schools with no championships and a history of choking. Totally going to miss their greatness.🤣🤦‍♂️

Well that escalated quickly... Pretty sure the CCC has been represented in at least the semifinals for the past three years, and it will be four, as well as three state title appearances in a row if Burns doesn't have something to say about it.

OG won a conference title in their second year, and first with juniors and seniors. Pretty good accomplishment for a brand new school. Now they have a playoff win. Nice progress...

I don't consider it choking when you're not the favorite. East Duplin was a great team, this close to winning state, and Shelby beat the hell out of everyone. Nobody thought Ledford was going to win state, and even when ND got there Shelby was the clear favorite, as they obviously deserved.

As for titles, ND won an area state title in 66 when that's as far as you could advance, and tied Shelby in 75 for the WNCHSAA title. Doesn't Tville count their WNCHSAA title in 64? I know Shelby counts all of theirs...

No need for potshots on either side... Good luck to Tville, they will be better off not being one of the smallest 2A schools in the state. And ND, OG and Ledford will be just fine in 3A.

Last edited:
Well that escalated quickly... Pretty sure the CCC has been represented in at least the semifinals for the past three years, and it will be four, as well as three state title appearances in a row if Burns doesn't have something to say about it.

OG won a conference title in their second year, and first with juniors and seniors. Pretty good accomplishment for a brand new school. Now they have a playoff win. Nice progress...

I don't consider it choking when you're not the favorite. East Duplin was a great team, this close to winning state, and Shelby beat the hell out of everyone. Nobody thought Ledford was going to win state, and even when ND got there Shelby was the clear favorite, as they obviously deserved.

As for titles, ND won an area state title in 66 when that's as far as you could advance, and tied Shelby in 75 for the WNCHSAA title. Doesn't Tville count their WNCHSAA title in 64? I know Shelby counts all of theirs...

No need for potshots on either side... Good luck to Tville, they will be better off not being one of the smallest 2A schools in the state. And ND, OG and Ledford will be just fine in 3A.
Yes, we do count ‘64, as we should. What will be interesting is to see Coach Gillespie’s philosophy on non-conference scheduling. And whether we can get decent numbers out. What has separated the Bulldogs from the other CCC schools has been numbers. That won’t be as much of an issue in 1A and hopefully will improve.

Honestly it should be more fun than last time we were in the Yadkin Valley 1A. Salisbury and North Rowan will make good rivals.

Cruddy conference? ND and ledford move down from 4A/3A to fail winning a 2A championship doesn't give the CCC any credit.

Uh yeah... low/mid tier 3A "Football" schools with no championships and a history of choking. Totally going to miss their greatness.🤣🤦‍♂️
I think the Blue Smurf thing set me off. Sorry for getting a bit out of hand.

I do think it is good to acknowledge that Thomasville made it into the CCC solely because the other county schools lobbied for their inclusion.

4 years ago, the landscape of the CCC football conference was a mess. Bringing Thomasville in helped out. They were definitely not in the "bottom 5"... which no one wants to be a part of. The bottom half of the current CCC is a group of teams with very little hope of seeing a .500 season anytime soon. (Minus Central Davidson, who is quite frankly the worst team with a .500 record in recent history)

• Haha

Hey, what are rivals for? I'm just having a little fun. Same way you guys do with Lexington, SD, Central, and MC recently.

Never heard of the 66 title but that's interesting to know. I remember the local news said ND was a favorite to win 2A, granted their biased. You had my cousin Shy and other good players, no excuses with East Duplin. 😂

I know it was Shelby but the 2018 team was loaded. OG recruits the whole county. Not surprised they won the CCC last year.

Hopefully there's a good rotation to play you 3 the next few years in non-conference.

I think the Blue Smurf thing set me off. Sorry for getting a bit out of hand.

I do think it is good to acknowledge that Thomasville made it into the CCC solely because the other county schools lobbied for their inclusion.

4 years ago, the landscape of the CCC football conference was a mess. Bringing Thomasville in helped out. They were definitely not in the "bottom 5"... which no one wants to be a part of. The bottom half of the current CCC is a group of teams with very little hope of seeing a .500 season anytime soon. (Minus Central Davidson, who is quite frankly the worst team with a .500 record in recent history)

Don't sleep on Central. My buddy Clay might pull some upsets.😁

Hey, what are rivals for? I'm just having a little fun. Same way you guys do with Lexington, SD, Central, and MC recently.

Never heard of the 66 title but that's interesting to know. I remember the local news said ND was a favorite to win 2A, granted their biased. You had my cousin Shy and other good players, no excuses with East Duplin. 😂

I know it was Shelby but the 2018 team was loaded. OG recruits the whole county. Not surprised they won the CCC last year.

Hopefully there's a good rotation to play you 3 the next few years in non-conference.
We would like to know how and who if any team “recruits”. It’s so STUPID that you actually think that. If it’s happening someone should call them out on it (with proof if you are so sure)! I have heard this several times in these forums and it bugs the crap out of me. There are kids that have moved schools to OG, to ND and some that are at Ledford. From all my knowledge they are all legitimately there. Not once have I heard of any school actually recruiting so unless you have proof it’s going on you are continuing the ignorance of the term and continue the “rumors”. Teams such as IMG in Florida or St John Bosco, or Mater Dei those teams may recruit and even if they don’t plenty of kids move to those schools for better opportunities. I cannot say anything negative about a kid or his/her parents wanting them to better themselves even in sport, so if transferring a school legitimately does that good for them. Sounds to me you are just sour no one wants to transfer into the schools you pull for.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrepFanNC
We plus like to know how and who any team “recruits”. It’s so STUPID that you actually think that. If it’s happening someone should call them out on it (with proof if you are so sure)! I have heard this several times in these forums and it bugs the crap out of me. There are kids that have moved schools to OG, to ND and some that are at Ledford. From all my knowledge they are all legitimately there. Not once have I heard of any school actually recruiting so unless you have proof it’s going on you are continuing the ignorance of the term and continue the “rumors”. Teams such as IMG in Florida or St John Bosco, or Mater Dei those teams may recruit and even if they don’t plenty of kids move to those schools for better opportunities. I cannot say anything negative about a kid or his/her parents wanting them to better themselves even in sport, so if transferring a school legitimately does that good for them. Sounds to me you are just sour no one wants to transfer into the schools you pull for.

I'm not sour about anything, alot of bigger schools do it. Saw it all the time in Forsyth and Guilford. Besides we did just fine winning 8 championships with kids in town.🤷‍♂️

Heard of a guy from Lexington, ED, had transferred there on this board. Midway, Walberg, and Welcome make up a big area of the county. Plus kids will go to a nice brand new school. So I'm not surprised they were able to build that fast. Wasn't taking a shot at OG, only stating the obvious.

I'm not sour about anything, alot of bigger schools do it. Saw it all the time in Forsyth and Guilford. Besides we did just fine winning 8 championships with kids in town.🤷‍♂️

Heard of a guy from Lexington, ED, had transferred there on this board. Midway, Walberg, and Welcome make up a big area of the county. Plus kids will go to a nice brand new school. So I'm not surprised they were able to build that fast. Wasn't taking a shot at OG, only stating the obvious.
You say you're not taking a shot but you specifically said "OG recruits the whole county." So what do you mean? Retract your statement if it's not what you meant. Again it drives me nuts that people make statements like that and have no proof. I personally think it stirs up BS. Then you say "only stating the obvious." What's that supposed to mean? Again you seem to be referencing recruiting which you stated before but nothing to back it up. Kids move, so what...that's not recruiting! And you say you "did just fine winning 8 championships with kids in town" when? NOT recently and what championships? Not 8 within this current conference. Rattle on with your "accusations" and lack of proof to back them. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about with what you state.

Shy graduated a few years before that when we were 4A. Maybe you mean Boyce?

I’m fine with opinion... I’m fine with conjecture.... but what you say about OG recruiting the whole county... You are full of crap. You might want to retract it if you can’t prove it.

The kid from East? His mom works there. That’s a legit situation. Fully legal. She’s an excellent employee and will be at OG as long as she’d like to be employed there.

The kid from Lexington? Yeah, his parents live in the Oak Grove district now. They moved. Like, actually moved. So...

Don’t be an idiot with false accusations.

I could say the same idiotic stuff about Thomasville. That’s all we heard growing up was that good football players’ parents were all of a sudden offered jobs at the furniture factories. Was it true? I’m sure that it wasn’t true. Most of that crap isn’t.

Reactions: SCRballer
By no means do I accuse Oak Grove of recruiting. Why would they need to? They ”inherited” some good athletes as part of the redistricting when the school was built. They have by far the nicest facilities in the county. They have active boosters. They live in an are where people are clamoring to build and move to. And they have an excellent coach.
Having said that, they have done well, but haven’t dominated.
The only criticism that has any legitimacy at all is the fact that their best player came from another school. Even that is above board due to the parental situation.
As a Thomasville fan, I fully knew that this conference alignment had a little bit of asterisk beside it. We have had some success, but can’t regularly compete against schools that much larger than us. That’s not sour grapes. It’s reality. We’ve had two coaches that are the equal of any coach in the conference. But they can only do so much with 40-45 kids between jv and varsity. That too is reality.
Not touting T’ville as a 1A power, but we’ll be competing where the playing field is more level. Salisbury may dominate our conference, but I wouldn’t take that to the bank quite yet. And I don’t think any of the three (OG, ND and Ledford) will rule their conference for four years either. But that’s why they play the games.

By no means do I accuse Oak Grove of recruiting. Why would they need to? They ”inherited” some good athletes as part of the redistricting when the school was built. They have by far the nicest facilities in the county. They have active boosters. They live in an are where people are clamoring to build and move to. And they have an excellent coach.
Having said that, they have done well, but haven’t dominated.
The only criticism that has any legitimacy at all is the fact that their best player came from another school. Even that is above board due to the parental situation.
As a Thomasville fan, I fully knew that this conference alignment had a little bit of asterisk beside it. We have had some success, but can’t regularly compete against schools that much larger than us. That’s not sour grapes. It’s reality. We’ve had two coaches that are the equal of any coach in the conference. But they can only do so much with 40-45 kids between jv and varsity. That too is reality.
Not touting T’ville as a 1A power, but we’ll be competing where the playing field is more level. Salisbury may dominate our conference, but I wouldn’t take that to the bank quite yet. And I don’t think any of the three (OG, ND and Ledford) will rule their conference for four years either. But that’s why they play the games.

The whole situation is ripe for controversy. It’s funny, most of the people fussing about it are the over 40 folks (like myself, I guess). I’m watching the kids from OG, ND and Ledford and for the most part they are so much better behaved than the adults.

I wish you could have heard the fussing that went along with building Oak Grove High. I heard Central and West folks groaning because ”They built their own stadiums”. well, yeah... but they had stadiums before their new high schools.
Prior to Oak Grove, people were fussing because North had the best stuff (and honestly, I think they still do)... but the boosters paid for all of that. Even so, North had facilities prior to choosing to replace them
I don’t even think it would be legal to build a high school plant in the state of North Carolina and not put in athletic fields. I don’t get why people are upset about that... This is where Davidson County is lacking. First, we don’t build new high schools very often since we don’t need them... but secondly, we fail to see all the high schools being built around us in adjacent counties. They look nice. In many cases they are nicer and more expensive than what we built here.

Does anyone actually think we should have built 5 Quonset huts and put in a third world gymnasium?
that might be exaggerating, but a “Former” DC commissioner said that out loud within earshot of me back in 2015.

It helps to have boosters who are financially capable of providing for their school. For the most part, Thomasville no longer has that. And Thomasville City Schools doesn’t have a stadium. Cushwa is owned by the city and that may not be sustainable.

You say you're not taking a shot but you specifically said "OG recruits the whole county." So what do you mean? Retract your statement if it's not what you meant. Again it drives me nuts that people make statements like that and have no proof. I personally think it stirs up BS. Then you say "only stating the obvious." What's that supposed to mean? Again you seem to be referencing recruiting which you stated before but nothing to back it up. Kids move, so what...that's not recruiting! And you say you "did just fine winning 8 championships with kids in town" when? NOT recently and what championships? Not 8 within this current conference. Rattle on with your "accusations" and lack of proof to back them. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about with what you state.
Since 1972 the CCC has won 10 state titles. Those titles came from Randleman, Lexington, Thomasville, HP Central and Salisbury. No Davidson County school has won an NCHSAA title in football. Playoff football records for the current CCC teams are below (may or may not include the 20-21 season).

Thomasville 77-29, 10 Appearances 7 Titles (1A/2A)
Lexington 31-26, 3 Appearances and 2 2A Titles
Salisbury 26-18, 2 Title Appearances 1 2A Title
ND 20-22, 1 State Title Appearance 0 Titles
Ledford 14-25
Central Davidson 5-14
East Davidson 0-8
West Davidson 5-17
OG- 1-1

The most noticeable difference about Thomasville is the numbers. As a 1AA school, they would get 90-100 kids some years at the start of the season for camp. That's ridiculous for a small school, but that's how strong the tradition was.

Coaching changes have been the biggest thing holding Thomasville back because lack of stability means less kids interested, amongst other factors. If Gillespie stays a while and Tville has success in 1A, those numbers may go back up.

It helps to have boosters who are financially capable of providing for their school. For the most part, Thomasville no longer has that. And Thomasville City Schools doesn’t have a stadium. Cushwa is owned by the city and that may not be sustainable.
It’s a shame that the City of Thomasville isn’t too keen on fixing the visitors bleachers. It’s a great stadium with a whole lot of history.
*note*- I haven’t been to Cushwa this season, so I’m just assuming that it hasn’t been fixed

It will be interesting to see what it takes to fix North Davidson’s home bleachers. It’s a safety issue, so I would expect the county school system to come in and help somewhat. That happened a few years ago at Central when a good deal of their gym bleachers were unusable.

Well the battle to move on comes back to the CCC rivals. Last year OG beat ND in the regular season only to be pounded by ND in the first round of the playoffs. What will happen this year? IDK but if OG can fix some small mistakes and miscues it should be a good ballgame. They went with their freshman QB for the entire game in round 1 and were able to pull out a win (first playoff win in the short schools history). If they don't make some better decisions there and block a bit better ND may just make it a repeat of last years playoff game. I expect Coach Holcolmb to have the kids better prepared than last year and keep this game close.

The issue of transfers is a sticky one. Always has been.

Lexington has lost a lot of kids recently, when a decade ago and beyond they were the beneficiaries of transfers. A kid I went to school with at ND went to Lexington his last two years. Another went to West. Two of the kids I coached at Tyro Middle in my younger days went to Lexington High. Another went to South Davidson.

East Davidson kids are always transferring. I believe Tville had a QB named Chris Woods who was an East kid when I was in school, Karsten Miller went to ND a few years later, and now Shewcow is the obvious one.

A few years ago the backup quarterback at ND went to Ledford so he wouldn't have to sit on the bench his senior year.

It happens. Doesn't mean recruiting is going on. Sometimes parents just want a better opportunity for their kids.

Last edited:
It’s a shame that the City of Thomasville isn’t too keen on fixing the visitors bleachers. It’s a great stadium with a whole lot of history.
*note*- I haven’t been to Cushwa this season, so I’m just assuming that it hasn’t been fixed

It will be interesting to see what it takes to fix North Davidson’s home bleachers. It’s a safety issue, so I would expect the county school system to come in and help somewhat. That happened a few years ago at Central when a good deal of their gym bleachers were unusable.
The bleachers haven’t been repaired because they can’t be just fixed. It’s deteriorating concrete and they will have to be replaced at a cost of roughly $400-500,000. Last year, the schools began paying $15,000 per year after decades of less than $1,000 per year. Even that didn’t happen due to proration during the pandemic. Average cost of basic upkeep is $40,000. That doesn’t make any improvements, just the very basics.

The problem should have been faced in the early 2000’s. With large annexations, the city changed. No longer was the city just about Thomasville City Schools. Now four county schools are in the city limits and those folks’ tax money pays for the stadium too. Yet they don’t use it. Less than half of the kids in the city limits attend city schools.

So there you have the dilemma. How long does the city provide a stadium at minimal cost and have everybody pay for a stadium that is used 20-30 days a year? People forget that the city government and the city schools are separate entities. By law, the schools can’t spend money on property they don’t own. The commissioners may help some, but very little. Merger and redistricting may be the long term solution to many ills, but won’t happen in my lifetime.

Sorry to highjack this thread, but that’s the direction it’s been going. This issue won’t go away. Three fourths of the council and mayor graduated from THS. With several members retiring this fall, that will change. In just a few years, the city schools will be less of a priority for the people sitting in those chairs.

Reactions: PrepFanNC
The bleachers haven’t been repaired because they can’t be just fixed. It’s deteriorating concrete and they will have to be replaced at a cost of roughly $400-500,000. Last year, the schools began paying $15,000 per year after decades of less than $1,000 per year. Even that didn’t happen due to proration during the pandemic. Average cost of basic upkeep is $40,000. That doesn’t make any improvements, just the very basics.

The problem should have been faced in the early 2000’s. With large annexations, the city changed. No longer was the city just about Thomasville City Schools. Now four county schools are in the city limits and those folks’ tax money pays for the stadium too. Yet they don’t use it. Less than half of the kids in the city limits attend city schools.

So there you have the dilemma. How long does the city provide a stadium at minimal cost and have everybody pay for a stadium that is used 20-30 days a year? People forget that the city government and the city schools are separate entities. By law, the schools can’t spend money on property they don’t own. The commissioners may help some, but very little. Merger and redistricting may be the long term solution to many ills, but won’t happen in my lifetime.

Sorry to highjack this thread, but that’s the direction it’s been going. This issue won’t go away. Three fourths of the council and mayor graduated from THS. With several members retiring this fall, that will change. In just a few years, the city schools will be less of a priority for the people sitting in those chairs.
Perhaps it’s time to turn the on campus soccer stadium into a football stadium? The home bleachers are off center, but honestly probably sufficient with today’s crowds. Not ideal, I know.

Perhaps it’s time to turn the on campus soccer stadium into a football stadium? The home bleachers are off center, but honestly probably sufficient with today’s crowds. Not ideal, I know.
It would take a lot of work and parking would be a huge concern. The soccer bleachers may hold 200 tops. Cushwa holds over 3500. So even if Cushwa is only at 20%, that’s 700. Granted, not every team brings more than 100, but most games have at least 700 total. At the soccer field, there are only bleachers on one side.

It might be doable with a couple hundred grand spent. But that still doesn’t solve the parking issue. Additionally, right now, the staff mows. But the other $40k a year that the city covers would become school responsibility.

It’s likely nothing will change any time soon. The city would probably sell the stadium to the schools for a very low price but they are unlikely to want it.

It would take a lot of work and parking would be a huge concern. The soccer bleachers may hold 200 tops. Cushwa holds over 3500. So even if Cushwa is only at 20%, that’s 700. Granted, not every team brings more than 100, but most games have at least 700 total. At the soccer field, there are only bleachers on one side.

It might be doable with a couple hundred grand spent. But that still doesn’t solve the parking issue. Additionally, right now, the staff mows. But the other $40k a year that the city covers would become school responsibility.

It’s likely nothing will change any time soon. The city would probably sell the stadium to the schools for a very low price but they are unlikely to want it.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thomasville deserves a good facility.

Reactions: ocdavis31
I’m fine with opinion... I’m fine with conjecture.... but what you say about OG recruiting the whole county... You are full of crap. You might want to retract it if you can’t prove it.

The kid from East? His mom works there. That’s a legit situation. Fully legal. She’s an excellent employee and will be at OG as long as she’d like to be employed there.

The kid from Lexington? Yeah, his parents live in the Oak Grove district now. They moved. Like, actually moved. So...

Don’t be an idiot with false accusations.

I could say the same idiotic stuff about Thomasville. That’s all we heard growing up was that good football players’ parents were all of a sudden offered jobs at the furniture factories. Was it true? I’m sure that it wasn’t true. Most of that crap isn’t.

Lmao you two are truly amazing...

Never said it wasn't legit or OG was doing something illegal. You and that goofy OG fan blew what I said out of proportion because I said "recruiting".

My point is it's a new school and they can pull in kids from the same areas as ND and ledford. So yes again... Im not surprised they were able to build a team to win the CCC. That wasn't meant as a negative comment. 😂

The issue of transfers is a sticky one. Always has been.

Lexington has lost a lot of kids recently, when a decade ago and beyond they were the beneficiaries of transfers. A kid I went to school with at ND went to Lexington his last two years. Another went to West. Two of the kids I coached at Tyro Middle in my younger days went to Lexington High. Another went to South Davidson.

East Davidson kids are always transferring. I believe Tville had a QB named Chris Woods who was an East kid when I was in school, Karsten Miller went to ND a few years later, and now Shewcow is the obvious one.

A few years ago the backup quarterback at ND went to Ledford so he wouldn't have to sit on the bench his senior year.

It happens. Doesn't mean recruiting is going on. Sometimes parents just want a better opportunity for their kids.
Yep, Thomasville, Carver, and many schools do it all the time. Me and brother lived in Welcome and went to Thomasville. Have a little cousin from Lexington that's going to OG soon too. Literally don't care if kids transfer to other schools. Other guys missed the whole point.🤷‍♂️

The most noticeable difference about Thomasville is the numbers. As a 1AA school, they would get 90-100 kids some years at the start of the season for camp. That's ridiculous for a small school, but that's how strong the tradition was.

Coaching changes have been the biggest thing holding Thomasville back because lack of stability means less kids interested, amongst other factors. If Gillespie stays a while and Tville has success in 1A, those numbers may go back up.
Covid, remote learning and kids assigned to distance learning will impact Thomasville for at minimum two more years due to attendance and eligibility issues it has created. The Dogs have a good bit of kids currently ineligible and likely will stay that way unless the BOE or Admin team does something to fix it. Numbers on the middle school team are like 18-20 kids this season. The bigger county schools lose 4-5 kids to academics it is not that big when they have 45-50 kids on varsity. Losing 4-5 kids at THS and S Davidson is very detrimental to their overall success. Lets hope the admin team finds a way to fix the issues created by covid distance learning sooner than later.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Covid, remote learning and kids assigned to distance learning will impact Thomasville for at minimum two more years due to attendance and eligibility issues it has created. The Dogs have a good bit of kids currently ineligible and likely will stay that way unless the BOE or Admin team does something to fix it. Numbers on the middle school team are like 18-20 kids this season. The bigger county schools lose 4-5 kids to academics it is not that big when they have 45-50 kids on varsity. Losing 4-5 kids at THS and S Davidson is very detrimental to their overall success. Lets hope the admin team finds a way to fix the issues created by covid distance learning sooner than later.
You've made a good point. I saw that South Davidson had 15 kids on the middle school sideline last week. 5 of whom are girls. I'm fine with girls playing, by the way.

anybody able to answer the question why the OG switch to a freshman qb from JV and benching the senior multi-year starter?

man... this post spiraled quickly! Looking forward to a good game Friday night between OG & ND.
It is always tough to beat a good team twice in one year. OG has a great coaching staff who will have their team ready. ND has a very underrated coaching staff. Both teams have great players and I expect a great game. Despite the obvious heated rivalry, it has been amazing to see the communities come together for 2 of their own. The Hill kid who is fighting Cancer along with the Craven kid who tragically lost his father to an automobile accident. Just proves you can be fierce competitors on the field and still have a common respect off. At the end of the day, this is JUST high school football. Both communities are creating great young men who will be contributors for years to come.

As for the recruiting comments, I give credit to the parents of kids who deserve better. OG, ND & Ledford invest into their student athletes. Both on the field AND OFF. Something that Lexington and Thomasville have failed to do for years. The difference now, Parents are willing to stand up for their kids and make the necessary changes the RIGHT way, to put their kids in the best opportunities to be successful, AGAIN, both ON and OFF the field.

If anyone is salty about such, they should take an honest moment to reflect and possibly look in the mirror. Until things change in Leadership at the top of both districts, I expect we continue to see more of the same. And rightfully so!

So, for any of you on here that want to cast stones, maybe you should load your stones up and come to the game Friday night and see the difference of 2 engaged communities first hand. Then compare it to the product on display at Tville & Lexington.

It will speak for itself! Good Luck to both teams Friday night. I personally plan to be there watching what I expect to be a GREAT high school atmosphere and an even better high school football game.

anybody able to answer the question why the OG switch to a freshman qb from JV and benching the senior multi-year starter?
I'm not a coach so I can only speculate... The senior QB was unable, not willing or whatever to scramble like he did when he was a starter 2 years ago. He lost the starting position last year too. Many of his throws were at the receiver's ankles. The freshman QB had a phenomenal season on JV. Has the ability and willingness to scramble when necessay. OG varsity was not dominant in the rushing game like they were last year so I think they felt they needed to go to the passing game more. The freshman QB definitely needs some more experience but I think he has a more accurate throw. Again not a coach so I can only speak from my personal observations.

I'm not a coach so I can only speculate... The senior QB was unable, not willing or whatever to scramble like he did when he was a starter 2 years ago. He lost the starting position last year too. Many of his throws were at the receiver's ankles. The freshman QB had a phenomenal season on JV. Has the ability and willingness to scramble when necessay. OG varsity was not dominant in the rushing game like they were last year so I think they felt they needed to go to the passing game more. The freshman QB definitely needs some more experience but I think he has a more accurate throw. Again not a coach so I can only speak from my personal observations.

fair enough. thanks for the insight. ballsy move by the OG staff but clearly there was a reason behind it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT