ADVERTISEMENT

South Point @ Crest

WNC FAN

Apr 27, 2021
I was hoping this was gonna be a battle of unbeatens..At worst I thought they'd both be 4-1....Crest is probably favored but SP gonna be big mad after Friday! Classic battle of wills! Run vs Pass!

SP has won the last 3 vs Crest....
2 playoff classics!

BBQ and Friday night lights!

Reactions: Mopar forever
You think Crest is not gonna be big time mad about those losses. They better bring their runnin shoes.

Crest is gonna have to discover what Run defense is…or it will be who ever has the ball last. Reminds me of 2010, SP vs Erwin

Reactions: shutdownD24
I can easily see crest winning this game 49-14. We just don't tackle in space well enough to compete with good teams. Our offense is ok, but our line struggles at times and our qb likes to put it on the ground. The culture at Sp is changing and it isn't for the good IMO. I'm sure some of the Sp Homer's will see this and get butt hurt and that's ok. Better to be pissed off than pissed on!!

I can easily see crest winning this game 49-14. We just don't tackle in space well enough to compete with good teams. Our offense is ok, but our line struggles at times and our qb likes to put it on the ground. The culture at Sp is changing and it isn't for the good IMO. I'm sure some of the Sp Homer's will see this and get butt hurt and that's ok. Better to be pissed off than pissed on!!
I saw early and was also told the ball hits the ground to much this year. Quick question to a SP fan...do you think the QB plays football anymore after this season? Heard he has many of the top colleges in the country after him in baseball including Wake Forest. I was thinking he may not want to risk injury in the option offense.

I agree with all of the early takes on this game being a blowout. When we played SP in the jamboree, they didn't look good at all. But we all chalked it up as scrimmage game and thought they would be really good this year. It looks like not much has changed since then. It is shocking to see how the season is going for them so far. Having said that, if they do put together their best game of the year, they have the ability to keep it close. But it has to be their best game and Crest's worst. This could get ugly.

Something that I’ve been thinking about. Who do you think has the more “effective” ground game this season, Shelby or South Point? I am asking this question because someone told me that the Lions ran for 250 against Crest in their game.

This one will get ugly. Offense is average, tackling has been a problem for this SP team. Young and small. QB has had a problem holding.on.the ball, Ouduckfan, I agree that the culture is changing. I saw Crest in the Burns game, awesome offense. Speed and more speed, it would be a miracle if this is closer at all. IMHO

I was hoping this was gonna be a battle of unbeatens..At worst I thought they'd both be 4-1....Crest is probably favored but SP gonna be big mad after Friday! Classic battle of wills! Run vs Pass!

SP has won the last 3 vs Crest....
2 playoff classics!

BBQ and Friday night lights!
SP in a CLOSE ONE.

• Haha
Reactions: Ouduckfan
Something that I’ve been thinking about. Who do you think has the more “effective” ground game this season, Shelby or South Point? I am asking this question because someone told me that the Lions ran for 250 against Crest in their game.
Shelby, because you also have to account for the receivers. South Point last year had the big tight end and a couple others that could catch it if you loaded the box. The first meeting with Crest last year, they passed to move the ball in a few crucial times after sucking the defense in with the normal run heavy O. They don't have those same passing options this year.

I saw early and was also told the ball hits the ground to much this year. Quick question to a SP fan...do you think the QB plays football anymore after this season? Heard he has many of the top colleges in the country after him in baseball including Wake Forest. I was thinking he may not want to risk injury in the option offense.
Yeah he'll keep playing football I believe

Reactions: Freshmanposter01
Yeah, yeah I can see that.
The culture has changed evidently. Two consecutive western 3a finals appearances. Lost to the eventual state champ on both occasions; a 15-1 and 16-0 team. Avenged that loss to the 15-1 team by beating their asz 74-41 last year. All of this was done in the wide open, statewide 3a state playoffs....the playoffs that aren't watered down like they were from the early 2000s to recent when you had split classifications. You are probably right - none of that has been done in the last four decades by any coach, group or team at SP until the last couple years. Things have changed.

Crest isn't going to have a defense ever. The Crest coach just tries to out score the other team. That is his MO where he has coached. Byrnes, Greenville, Hendersonville and TJ....... Will win the SP game but no state.

Yeah, yeah I can see that.
The culture has changed evidently. Two consecutive western 3a finals appearances. Lost to the eventual state champ on both occasions; a 15-1 and 16-0 team. Avenged that loss to the 15-1 team by beating their asz 74-41 last year. All of this was done in the wide open, statewide 3a state playoffs....the playoffs that aren't watered down like they were from the early 2000s to recent when you had split classifications. You are probably right - none of that has been done in the last four decades by any coach, group or team at SP until the last couple years. Things have changed.
Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Keep on keepin on brother!

Reactions: raider1959
47-21 CREST - I hate that SP is down this year, but not really!
Yeah- I guess SP wouldn't be "down" this year if they still played EG and Waddell or Berry like in 02-16 I guess right? I suppose SP can use the old "well we could only play who we had to play in those years". Instead of EG and Berry SP has Hibriten and Charlotte Christian this year. I guess the culture change is the schedule doesn't include quite the number of patsys anymore. Gardner and Hill aren't coaches in Gastonia anymore (upgrades reside currently). Even shyte EG looks to be better on paper. They have played one team out of five with a pulse thus far. Throw a parade for the Paper Warriors.

I don't think there is any question there are lulls of talent especially coming off a 2-3 year run like SP just had, but this talk of culture change is funny. Maybe more competent people running it now... does that equal culture change? Crest has a state championship team LAST year and this year they're only better. That also will have nothing to do with SP because for my money this sounds like the best Crest team ever seen on one side of the ball so that automatically makes them one of the best Crest teams in their history. Again.....that has nothing to do with SP.

SP has talent but it is young talent. Young talent needs time to develop. I think SP will be okay over the next couple of years.

I also think that Crest can not make the mistake that it made in its first game with SP last season and just completely abandon their running game. I think SP will be motivated to play, the plan will be to keep the Crest offense on the sidelines while they milk the clock. I expect SP to gamble more on 4th down to keep possessions going. Crest has the better team but I believe this game could be a little closer than some are predicting if SP is able to move the ball.

SP has talent but it is young talent. Young talent needs time to develop. I think SP will be okay over the next couple of years.

I also think that Crest can not make the mistake that it made in its first game with SP last season and just completely abandon their running game. I think SP will be motivated to play, the plan will be to keep the Crest offense on the sidelines while they milk the clock. I expect SP to gamble more on 4th down to keep possessions going. Crest has the better team but I believe this game could be a little closer than some are predicting if SP is able to move the ball.
If SP doesn't fumble, they will move the ball on Crest's defense, no doubt. But it seems like that is a big if this year for SP. If SP can't sustain long drives and then Crest's offense scores quickly like they often do, the Crest defense will be exhausted and could make it even more difficult. It sounds weird, but I think Crest should run the ball much more and try not to be that quick strike offense in order to give the defense a rest.

Crest offense this year
124 pass attempts
17.5 yards per completion

106 rushing attempts
8.5 yards per carry
I get it. I'm just saying, you're more likely to break a long TD on a passing play than a running play. We understand you have the best offense in the state. Trust me, you talk about it nonstop and it's all over social media. ESPN had a special about it just last week. You better hope you win this week, or y'all won't here the end of it.

Nice pretty stats. No disputing that. SP is going to drop eight in coverage and try to take away passing lanes. It’s important not to “take the cheese” being offered.

I get it. I'm just saying, you're more likely to break a long TD on a passing play than a running play. We understand you have the best offense in the state. Trust me, you talk about it nonstop and it's all over social media. ESPN had a special about it just last week. You better hope you win this week, or y'all won't here the end of it.
Quit making crap up. No one says any of that junk.

Player Dont Be Hatin GIF by Jamie Kennedy

• Haha
Reactions: shutdownD24
I know you all have been waiting on me to chime in so I will not keep you waiting any longer. This game will be very close! I know what you are thinking, how could it be with them losing to Huss and looking like a gnat turd in the jamboree? I will tell you. Both teams will come out for warm ups and stretch. They will both do a little bit of pregame before heading back to the locker room. Sose will remind them of the terrible calls last year. That my friends will be the turning point in the game. But wait! How could it be close if there is a turning point? I did not say how long it will be close. I just said it will be very close. Then they will have the coin flip and kick off. That my friends, THAT is when Crest will take over and run away with this thing. I will give my credit to SP even though they don't like moral victories but in all honesty you kept it close for as long as you could. Sorry to keep you guys waiting. If you will excuse me now, I have to get my mind back right for this big Burns matchup Friday. We don't play cupcakes like sommmmayalll.

That's original blame the coach.

I think it’s funny how quiet my buddy Rulz has been this week. Everyone who has expressed an opinion on this game says Crest. Most say Crest big. I agree Crest should destroy South Point this year. That doesn’t mean the guys won’t be out there giving it there all. This doesn’t look like it’s gonna be a very good year for SP but neither did 2016. Somehow it came together that year. Here’s hoping it comes together this year. SP does hold a 24 - 15 all time record against Crest. Including the last three.

I think it’s funny how quiet my buddy Rulz has been this week. Everyone who has expressed an opinion on this game says Crest. Most say Crest big. I agree Crest should destroy South Point this year. That doesn’t mean the guys won’t be out there giving it there all. This doesn’t look like it’s gonna be a very good year for SP but neither did 2016. Somehow it came together that year. Here’s hoping it comes together this year. SP does hold a 24 - 15 all time record against Crest. Including the last three.
Has your vagina finally healed up?

I’d ask you to have someone wheel you over but we both know you’re not coming down.

Fair weather

I’ll be there Rulz. Saturday is my birthday and we were supposed to be a the beach but it’s SP vs. Crest. So I’ll be in Boiling Springs. As the good host it should be you who comes over and greets the visitor. Because you have such a high opinion of me, I’m sure you would rather eat glass than have to speak to me face to face. We will plan to go home with our 24 - 16 lead in the series. If SP would happen to win well, we’ll laugh all the way home.

Break it down by decade. Did we even play y’all in the 90s? 70s-80s you should’ve won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT