ADVERTISEMENT

Week 4 Area Picks

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Ashe at MA

Last week the Bears did what they did best, roll over another county foe with ease. Like the saying always has said: speed kills. That was also the name of a crappy John Travolta movie that put me to sleep 5 different times, but that’s another story 🤣

This week they get a much needed change of pace as they host the Ashe County Huskies who are 3A and provide them a defensive challenge as they are a very deep and in the trenches air raid squad. Ashe isn’t the fastest but they are super stubborn and very well coached, they run that offense like the back of their hand. It will provide MA their best lineup challenge in a while and a needed test for the Bears on that end, they can’t afford to get rusty so I dig the challenge here. ? is will MA be scored on? There is always a chance that given the way they run that offense, they won’t match MA for speed but if they catch them on a good shot with a good length play they may pull that 6 out of the hat. Will it hurt MA to give up 6? Not at all, it’ll make them more wiser and prepared moving forward. They can’t afford to have rust heading into the playoffs. As athletic and advanced as a team is you can’t afford to do that.

E Surry at S Stokes

The Pilot Cards showed up like my gut told me would happen last week and managed to contribute to West Stokes’s offensive woes in a surprising shutout. I figured the Cards would have a good shot but a shutout? Totally surprising. But rivalries tend to do that and you can throw anything out the window when it’s that close. It’ll make 2024’s matchup in King all the more intense.

Now up for the Cards is one last home stand to end non conference before heading into the bye next week vs South Stokes, an old foe they’ve played consistently for ages. This game, like the North Surry game, was scheduled when Coach Diamont was still around, so a lot of the heat for this one is gone. South played surprisingly well, not great of course, but they limited a McMichael offense that went wild vs the Bush to 29 points last week which is wild to think considering how much South struggled the first two weeks. However they countered that with struggles still on offense, QB threw 4 picks. Time will tell if that was a fluke on defense or a sign of improvement for the Sauras who badly need any kind of positive momentum heading into NW play. However if they seriously want to play they got to find ways to quit making mistakes on offense. It’s been a very hard pre-season for the Sauras, it’s almost time to flip the switch.

I think East will be fine here. Their line play is superior and better coached than South is. South may have the speed advantage but East has momentum and are hungry, that matters more than people expect. However if East comes out and struggles South could stay around and be irritating.

SC at Elkin

Needless to say things haven’t been so fun for the Golden Eagles, who have struggled through a tough non conference slate and are desperate for any kind of momentum. Week 2 still seems to haunt them still as that was one game they shouldn’t have let slide away. Last week they didn’t have a shot against the Granite Bears and with a very bad injury to one of their main players they badly need to get out of the hole they are in. That being said, that will be easier said than done vs a very stubborn and motivated Elkin team who’s playing over their heads so far this season. The Elks are fresh off a bye and should be rested fully after a come from behind game they barely let slide vs West Wilkes they let slide just late.

These two always play very stubborn and hard fought matchups vs each other and I expect this year to be no exception. On JV the past 2 years they’ve split wins, 21 SC won by a big margin with the current junior class playing, but Elkin won by a shutout last year so this one can go either way.

I just don’t know enough about Surry Central’s status to pick a winner here. My gut says go with Elkin because they’ve played better but SC has that QB and he’s a game changer at any point. Elkin’s always struggled vs the pass and they lost last game due to it so I’m conflicted.

Starmount at N Wilkes

The Rams finally put together a solid outing on both ends last week despite the slow start as they took a 14-6 game in the first and just blew it wide open like a nuke descending into the desert, there was nothing left by the end. The Rams ended up with over 500 yards of offense and most of all rushing it. They passed very little and when they did it was successful. Couldn’t ask for a more better game for them. They are finally starting to defeat the inconsistency bug that haunted them for a majority of Grinton’s run. And this week they get one more easy matchup to defeat it as they host North Wilkes in a head scratcher of a matchup.

I don’t quite understand NW’s reasoning for scheduling this one. They had to have known that the team wouldn’t be up to par with a Starmount, but I guess they felt compelled to schedule it. Things are still quite messy for the Vikings who took an early 2-0 lead last week on a fluke then embarrassingly let EW score 48 unanswered, a really awful 4th made a respectable loss into an embarrassing one. Things just aren’t working for the Vikings right now. They are in the spread and they don’t have the talent to run it. Until they change that offense it won’t be a productive year for them. Especially not Friday vs the Rams.

I’ll be surprised if NW scores in this one, if they do then Starmount has a lot more to worry about.

Patrick Co, VA at North Stokes

The Danbury Vikings are hanging by a thread right now; they are badly beat up and low on kids at all age levels. They didn’t field a JV this year and watching film from South Davidson they have just 5-6 kids on the bench for depth. If the injuries keep on they will have to fold or postpone games until they get healthy. They badly need the break the bye week can provide them and it can’t get here fast enough but it’s too far away right now. Next week they face MA in an impossible task, I honestly won’t be surprised if they forfeit that one for safety reasons. I can’t say I would blame them there.

This week they host longtime rivals Patrick County who are on the opposite end of the spectrum. Their #’s are increasing every year and they have a solid established staff. We 7 on 7’ed them in June and I was honestly surprised at their talent. They aren’t a natural passing team (a wing squad,) but they played us hard. They have a solid core of skill guys who will be a pain to stop on the ground and their linebacker core was solid. They already have a W over Martinsville which is a huge win for them and they played their other game to a close loss. This one will be a change of pace they should enjoy.

Expect another running clock affair here. S Davidson was respectful and stopped at 42 last week after the half. I expect the same here, PC has no reason to score 50+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
W Central at E Wilkes

Last week the Eagles finally got on the winning board in a lopsided shutout over Patton. However it is truly hard to judge how good they are due to the fact Patton is one of the worst programs in the west, they are struggling to exist as a program so take that as it is, I do think WC’s going to be one of the main teams in the Foothills though, but they got to put a full game together with a challenge, the next 3 weeks provide that.

This week is their first chance at it as they head to Ronda to play East Wilkes, who is against all odds 3-0 despite depth issues and youth. They don’t have many kids however every single one plays very hard and stubbornly. Last week they took an early screw up which gave North Wilkes 2 points on to an absolute landslide of a win as they scored 48 unanswered which rarely happens, it was a killer win for the Ronda Cards. However it looks to be at a cost as one of East’s senior captains got ejected in a 4th quarter dust up, so if he’s gone that will be a major blow to them. They got to find the way to overcome it and they got to avoid the slow starts that haunted them all year. That is their HC’s main mission moving forward, and it’s something they gotta fix if they wanna contend with Alleghany for 3rd place.

At this point I just think WC has more to play for and like I always say, as it’s the truth, it’s all you need in these situations. That being said I wouldn’t overlook East either. They beat WC on JV last year with a lot of these kids, so it is possible for them to win too. This one might be closer than we all expect, whoever handles the lights and attention best will benefit.

W Iredell at W Wilkes

After being humiliated up on the mountain in a way I’m sure they didn’t expect, the Blackhawks are more than excited to be back at the Creek this week. However things won’t get any easier as they host a very improved West Iredell squad who’s off a bye and are undefeated. WI’s played an easy schedule but that’s by design due to how stout their conference is. They need morale boosting but they are a good team to make up for it. Put them at 2A level and they’d be a winning team still. Their offense is massively hard to prep for as they run several offensive setups (wing T, I, spread, even some wishbone.) They have great size across the board and a heck of an RB who loves to run hit. It’s really a dream offense for anyone who loves to run the ball. Their head coach has done a phenomenal job taking them from a dumpster fire of a program the past 10 years and making them into believers again, he deserves to be commended.

WW is meanwhile looking on the outside wishing they could have that kind of turnaround. They are still in the same spot they have been despite all the momentum and the junior class. Things just haven’t gone great at all for them so far. Ashe did the complete opposite of what they did in 22 and passed it all over the Blackhawks for 407 yards and near perfect completion rating. The Blackhawks couldn’t adjust and couldn’t hang with that motivated pass game. Their offense also struggled to move the ball. It shows either their spread isn’t working or Ashe just controlled the line more than what we all expected.

Regardless; this is a must win affair for both teams. West Iredell badly needs a win to keep face and maintain their momentum heading into their conference. West Wilkes badly needs the win to find some sort of positivity before playing the Bush next week in a game that truly means the world for both as they are both struggling. I just don’t see WW having enough horses to match WI’s depth and speed, that RB is a load and they have a solid core of backs behind him. Their line is also massive and been lifting hard, they will be close to WW’s size. However given how hard it is to play there at Millers Creek I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s surprisingly close.

Robbinsville at Alleghany

Last week the Trojans went up the mountain to Mitchell county and showed they were for real as they gave the Mountaineers everything they wanted and then some, but Mitchell’s experience won out in the end as they did what they needed to do in the final quarter to pull it out. However the Trojans won their respect and got a lot of eyes paying attention to them. This week it doesn’t get any easier as they host Robbinsville. The Black Knights who are still jamming after that dominating win over East Surry. They went on to beat Franklin and Mtn Heritage the past two weeks and are on a roll. The Trojans will have their hands full and then some, but they love the challenge and I expect them give them everything and then some. That being said Rville’s one of the best of the best for a reason and I expect them to do solid here. Next week’s game will be very interesting to see what the Trojans can offer the Rams.

Oak Grove at North Forsyth
N Davidson at Walkertown

Carver at Charlotte Latin

From the way it sounds as of last week something is rotten in the state of Denmark, or the state of the Beehive. Carver’s 0-2 after facing 2 solid matchups for them and had some antics they didn’t need to have occur vs Lexington. A lot of people are questioning if the Jackets can finish the season or not, their depth isn’t great and a lot of people are looking at the HC like a mishire. He has to turn things around in a hurry or he will lose control of the program and that won’t be good for anything. It won’t get any easier this week as they have a long drive to Mecklenburg county to play Charlotte Latin, a team with a very deceiving record. They played Mitchell very hard in the opener before facing MIC in a super close loss the next week. They look at Carver as easy pickin’s and if they can’t overcome their internal squabbles they will be.

Wheatmore at Bishop

Needless to say I was 100% surprised last Friday when I saw the score of the P Grove and Bishop game, I never imagined that it would be that close, but alas it was. I shouldn’t have doubted Holcomb, he has a lot of power and I’m sure he got some new kids over that wasn’t there before, and maybe they caught P Grove sleeping as well. This week they return home to play Wheatmore, a team Bishop has a lot of experience with. They’ve either played them or scrimmaged them for nearly Wheatmore’s entire existence, so nothing new here. Wheatmore’s in a bit of a youth movement as they are 1-2 after a few solid seasons. Their first loss was a thriller to East Davidson, and they are coming off a massive shutout vs Ledford. They are reeling right now while Bishop has the momentum, so I’ll go with the Villains here. However Wheatmore will be a good test to see if they can handle the pressure, Wheatmore’s accustomed to winning games like this where they need to do so, Bishop sure isn’t.

WS Prep at Highland Tech

True battle of the powerhouses here as the Phoenix make the long trip to Gastonia for this one.. I kid in jest of course. This is a matchup I’m surprised hasn’t happened before, Prep’s always liked the random out of nowhere private schools for non conference when they don’t have to play the Forsyth schools. They’ve had their struggles this year, however they’ve played a challenging schedule for this one. Highland Tech.. not so much. They are struggling to compete. Prep should be fine here, they just got to get off the bus and have their minds right.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Slash- No one followed Holcomb. 3 new kids, 1 left the dumpster fire at page and is good friends with the DC and 2 others were random. More kids came out and there is a desire to win. More experienced coaches and a young group that’s bought in to the culture and new systems. The JV is 3-0 as well.

A Dumb poster just wanted to say how well I like your threads every week. I promise you would make a great fill-in or full-time sportswriter for the MA News if only to write articles about North Surry at times. Looking at the sports they seem to be very short-handed.

That's a heck of a complement man; thank you so much! That was actually a goal of mine when I was younger, I could never get the help to get there. I may actually consider that to help Cory Smith out. He's a friend and I know he enjoys covering us I didn't wanna ruffle his feathers lol.

You always did excellent work back when you worked for them, the articles you helped contribute too were really well done and they were always easy to do for stats when I never had the film. The pictures were always excellent, felt like you were there.

Your not dumb. Your just passionate, nothing wrong with that.

Slash, you should offer your services. Never know what the answer will be. You do an excellent job. I have no connections to any schools you write about, but I look forward to reading about them each week.

Slash, I wonder who and why Carver scheduled Charlotte Latin. I’m guessing Coach Griffin did. Is it a money game?

If i had to guess they probably had no other option; it just happens sometimes. They filled McMichael's spot. I do agree it was probably all Coach Griffin's doing.

That's why we had South Caldwell on the schedule week 3. Elkin dropped us really late in the process and we had no other options besides them or Watauga, it was like choosing Frankenstein or the Wolf Man, we picked Frankie.

If i had to guess they probably had no other option; it just happens sometimes. They filled McMichael's spot. I do agree it was probably all Coach Griffin's doing.

That's why we had South Caldwell on the schedule week 3. Elkin dropped us really late in the process and we had no other options besides them or Watauga, it was like choosing Frankenstein or the Wolf Man, we picked Frankie.
It wasn't Coach Griffin's doing. From what I know once they let him go they had to find a game. That happened from the New Head Coach and the Athletic Director.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT