ADVERTISEMENT

Closing thoughts on 2023 season

gdawg74

Nov 4, 2006
Had the pleasure of watching all 4 state title games this year for the first time. Have made the 1a venue every year since 2000. Seen some really great games over the years and dynasty teams as well. We used to attend these games to see championship football and see what those programs had that we didn’t have in Surry county with the exception of Elkins run. Nothing makes me happier now than to see Surry county at the pinnacle of Western North Carolina football. To the naysayers on hear questioning coach craddock and staff I have to question your thought process. 8 championships a record that has only 4/5 losses throughout those years. What an awesome job and you keyboard cowboys need to step back. Tarboro just faced what I would consider one of the better 1a defenses in the modern era. What Darren Taylor does year in and year out is nothing short of incredible. Bears match tarboros speed on defense. Bears have had trouble in the past of shooting the gaps so fast that they over run the play. A great Tarboro team met a dynasty defense yesterday. The one thing that stood out to me most was the confidence the coaching staff had to go for it on 4th down no matter where they were on the field. They knew the Vikings wouldn’t score a touchdown on this defense. They also knew the offensive line would wear the Vikings down in the second half. Unsung hero of game was Caleb Reid. He Ran the ball hard and changed the dynamic of the run game. Vikings were well prepared for 4 . Bad matchup for 4 with so many similar athletes on the field. Vikings came out with the energy of a team that had something to prove. As good as the Defense was playing after the first score in the second half I could feel the game was over. I always set on the visitors side. The fan base for the Vikings felt it to. Great job for the bears team and coaching staff. Never felt like the bears were losing yesterday, not even at halftime. Vikings team / coaching staff great season and class act. That backfield is gonna be nasty. To the naysayers in the west that say that this team or that team would beat the Vikings this year or they wouldn’t survive the western playoffs , I say that until you face the Tarboro T and beat the Tarboro dynasty then shut up. Cause it’s easier said than done. This offense is dynamic, explosive and quick. It’s not an easy task to stop. Tarboro is still 4-3 vs the west in championship games. Those 3 loses are against surry county foes , 3 wins are against surry county foes. That other team in the county is 1-2 vs the vikes and the Bears Are 2-1 against the vikes. Back to back State championships, 9 overall., always in the title conversation , top 60 in the nation in winning percentage all time, 30 game winning streak ( longest current streak in state ) umpteen conference championships and been playing since 1915. So I ask everyone out there , is that tradition enough?

Early prediction Round 4
Bears vs Vikings for state championship 2024. Cause at this point these juniors and talented sophomores have won two and a third IS EXPECTED. Don’t want to be the group that it ended with. Plus quite frankly they just know how to win. Winning is a habit right?

Thanks Sportsnut. It was a fun year. The Banter is fun (sometimes) deff not at the level you see here from time to time, but sometimes it just has to be about football, the communities that represent the student athletes, tradition and the kids that give so much to us to be able to talk about. Small town football from community to community is still the greatest sport in America. Most towns ravaged by industry leaving these schools and traditions are all that’s left. Hence the passion that follows. Love it

You didn’t have to delete your post buzz, you just said what you thought. I am ok with it.

Great season over here on the East side and even better season for the West 4-0 dominance in state games. That's a hell of an accomplishment for all those programs over there. I can't wait for next season. It seems it's only fitting we get the 1A Triogly. There is a 2A team that made it to the 4th round that is coming backloaded next year in Nash Central, pending no injuries. Clinton and Southwest Edgecombe, I was told, will be reloaded in 2A. 3A East may come down to Southern Nash, Havelock, 71st, Northern Nash, or Havelock. Fike, Hunt, and Aycock will have good runs. All of these teams are reloading, except for Northern Nash, due to losing a lot of seniors, but that's one school you can't count out. I can't wait to see some West teams next season.

Reactions: sbbbfan and gdawg74
Wasn't the place to mess his good post up
Buzz brother you are always welcome on my post no matter what is said. I love your banter but most importantly love your support for granite bear football and our kids. We all know each other and understand the responses generated. The granite bears are blessed to have such a passionate fan base.

Had the pleasure of watching all 4 state title games this year for the first time. Have made the 1a venue every year since 2000. Seen some really great games over the years and dynasty teams as well. We used to attend these games to see championship football and see what those programs had that we didn’t have in Surry county with the exception of Elkins run. Nothing makes me happier now than to see Surry county at the pinnacle of Western North Carolina football. To the naysayers on hear questioning coach craddock and staff I have to question your thought process. 8 championships a record that has only 4/5 losses throughout those years. What an awesome job and you keyboard cowboys need to step back. Tarboro just faced what I would consider one of the better 1a defenses in the modern era. What Darren Taylor does year in and year out is nothing short of incredible. Bears match tarboros speed on defense. Bears have had trouble in the past of shooting the gaps so fast that they over run the play. A great Tarboro team met a dynasty defense yesterday. The one thing that stood out to me most was the confidence the coaching staff had to go for it on 4th down no matter where they were on the field. They knew the Vikings wouldn’t score a touchdown on this defense. They also knew the offensive line would wear the Vikings down in the second half. Unsung hero of game was Caleb Reid. He Ran the ball hard and changed the dynamic of the run game. Vikings were well prepared for 4 . Bad matchup for 4 with so many similar athletes on the field. Vikings came out with the energy of a team that had something to prove. As good as the Defense was playing after the first score in the second half I could feel the game was over. I always set on the visitors side. The fan base for the Vikings felt it to. Great job for the bears team and coaching staff. Never felt like the bears were losing yesterday, not even at halftime. Vikings team / coaching staff great season and class act. That backfield is gonna be nasty. To the naysayers in the west that say that this team or that team would beat the Vikings this year or they wouldn’t survive the western playoffs , I say that until you face the Tarboro T and beat the Tarboro dynasty then shut up. Cause it’s easier said than done. This offense is dynamic, explosive and quick. It’s not an easy task to stop. Tarboro is still 4-3 vs the west in championship games. Those 3 loses are against surry county foes , 3 wins are against surry county foes. That other team in the county is 1-2 vs the vikes and the Bears Are 2-1 against the vikes. Back to back State championships, 9 overall., always in the title conversation , top 60 in the nation in winning percentage all time, 30 game winning streak ( longest current streak in state ) umpteen conference championships and been playing since 1915. So I ask everyone out there , is that tradition enough?

Early prediction Round 4
Bears vs Vikings for state championship 2024. Cause at this point these juniors and talented sophomores have won two and a third IS EXPECTED. Don’t want to be the group that it ended with. Plus quite frankly they just know how to win. Winning is a habit right?
Well said. Even when Tarboro was up 3-0 at the half I knew that we were gonna have to rely on our defense to generate turnovers in order for us to win. While I was disappointed in the play calling yesterday, Mount Airy was the better team. Extremely proud of our defense though they held Mount Airy to a season low 21 points. They were just gassed by the 4th quarter.

As for the comments I've seen referring to all these other teams in the west beating Tarboro, y'all couldn't beat Mount Airy either so I'd hush on that. And PLEASE think Tarboro has begun to fall like one comment I saw. This team consisted of mostly sophomores and juniors. Tarboro will have some work to do if they play Mount airy again next year because Mount Airy has a great shot at getting a three peat.

This thread has been absolutely on target. I appreciate the comments and the thought that went into them.
Yes we do love our teams and support our communities. What some may not appreciate is that while we really support our local teams and communities, I believe most on this Board are like me: Older, retired or near retired, and see all these players and coaches as "our neighbors". Some are just a little nearer and some are a little farther down the road. But still our neighbors.

For me, I follow a lot of schools, just want to know what and how they do. South Stanley, Albemarle, West Stanley, and North Stanley. All the Iredell County Schools. Hickory (congratulations) and Newton-Conover. Certainly the Cleveland County Schools. Schools all over the state for various reasons.

Now it is on to basketball. And for me, Lake Norman High School will be where I am on a lot of game evenings. My daughter (teacher there) and their Coaches look forward to seeing me (believe it or not) sitting in the same spot at each home game.

My closing thoughts are "WE ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY ARE" the Back 2 Back Champs!
Us Mount Arrogants tried to tell yall all season!

Let's be honest here. Some of you guys get under folks skin around here pretty bad. Some worst than others. Most of the thoughts that Mount Airy was going to get beat came from people hoping to see Mount Airy lose because of the fan base. People wanted to see them fail for that reason. Really a bad reason imo. At days end I think most people knew Mount Airy was the best team.

Buzz, some of you guys get under our skin, you don't bother me too much and I enjoy giving you hell sometimes but Mount Airy is fortunate to have fans like yourself.

Let's be honest here. Some of you guys get under folks skin around here pretty bad. Some worst than others. Most of the thoughts that Mount Airy was going to get beat came from people hoping to see Mount Airy lose because of the fan base. People wanted to see them fail for that reason. Really a bad reason imo. At days end I think most people knew Mount Airy was the best team.

Buzz, some of you guys get under our skin, you don't bother me too much and I enjoy giving you hell sometimes but Mount Airy is fortunate to have fans like yourself.
Yes, perhaps some of the Mt Airy fans can get to be a bit much, BUT we are a total meek and mild group compared to THE WHOLE OF THE SMC Crowd. Any reasonable outside comparison of the two groups is pretty one sided, don't you think?

Yes, perhaps some of the Mt Airy fans can get to be a bit much, BUT we are a total meek and mild group compared to THE WHOLE OF THE SMC Crowd. Any reasonable outside comparison of the two groups is pretty one sided, don't you think?
Hey some of us, "from the SMC crowd", never said a word. But I am gonna now. I have seen some great football, and y'all have had a very special run. Congratulations and can't wait till next season. The Bears defense has to be spot on one off the very best I have seen😈😈😈😈. And I've reached the tender age of 62, yes everyone will always has a team they can recall that would gave y'all a game but I'll be darn if I've seen a better group of linebackers on a team in decades! Talk the talk, the Bears walked the walk. Y'all have fun and cherish this season.

Kevin, I really appreciate your posting. Now having watched Tarboro as well as Murphy and Robbinsville, I will say without reservation that oh my goodness would I love to see a game between Robbinsville and Tarboro.

Or either of these two and Eastern Randolph. I truly do not know how to rank these 3 teams. They are all very good in different ways.

And yes I am feeling a little “lost” on Friday nights but Thankgoodness for A most excellent Lake Norman basketball program.
In terms of football, Mt Airy and I suspect any other program that wants to be upper tier will be back at it in January.

And think about the dedication it takes on the part of the “youngens” . Not to mention that the coaches finally earning those outlandish supplements of about $1.25 per hour they get.

The final MaxPreps rankings have 4 SMC & 2 NWC in the top 12 of the final 2023 rankings and Mount Airy # 20 statewide.
1A Rankings 1A Thru 4A Rankings

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT