ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA classes released for the 2025-2026 season.

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC

Language of the proposed amendment that would change the number of NCHSAA classes released. What's your take ? Is this back to the 1A-1AA basically with 8 teams in 1A thru 4A or something different ? Whatever, it looks good if that is the 1A only listed.​

Last edited:
Reactions: ObserveAndReport
I think this looks good, in that it basically puts into effect around the same number per class that existed back when NCHSAA originally chose 4 classes was appropriate. 100+ in a class is absurd when most states have 50-60 per class. But still a lot of questions...

Are they going to classify different sports separately? Or just let it ride with 30-something football schools in 1A?

Will there be split conferences? If not, you'll have some outliers with a lot of travel.

Also don't love that it's back to solely ADM. I'm not sure the multipliers they used this time around were the answer, but going by just ADM and saying parochial schools, charter schools, magnet schools, and zoned schools are apples to apples just isn't reality.

I think they should go to 8 classes and that will put 54 (as of now) in each class and will allow for 80 new schools before a new class has to be made and 10 new in a class before a school gets reclassified. The only "problem" with this new set up whether its 7 or 8 classes is the amount of 1a schools that would play football. they would have to have a separate playoff structure for 1a football.

Reactions: cimsies
Ok, Ok I will be the skeptic. Don’t think enough schools will vote to get the required number needed

Go Mountaineers

Ok, Ok I will be the skeptic. Don’t think enough schools will vote to get the required number needed

Go Mountaineers

Probably not. Somewhere along the line someone messed up by not including language to require member schools to vote or face a hefty fine. Then again if they did that some worthless representative in Raleigh would get in a tizzy.

Probably not. Somewhere along the line someone messed up by not including language to require member schools to vote or face a hefty fine. Then again if they did that some worthless representative in Raleigh would get in a tizzy.
I guess whenever the bylaws were created, it was anticipated that school administrators would follow through with their duty to be a member in good standing and vote on issues presented. As we have learned, those days are long gone. One of the reasons that I was in favor of the state Senate wielding a little power over the NCHSAA last year is that maybe this problem would have been resolved by legal means. Instead, once they tamed Que and got the DPI nominally involved, they declared victory and moved on.

Reactions: CoachHines72
I guess whenever the bylaws were created, it was anticipated that school administrators would follow through with their duty to be a member in good standing and vote on issues presented. As we have learned, those days are long gone. One of the reasons that I was in favor of the state Senate wielding a little power over the NCHSAA last year is that maybe this problem would have been resolved by legal means. Instead, once they tamed Que and got the DPI nominally involved, they declared victory and moved on.
The only thing in North Carolina more dysfunctional than the NCHSAA administration is our state legislature. They both love power and abuse it regularly. Both are more interested in throwing their weight around than serving those they represent.
But before we criticize the member schools too much, they probably get a higher percentage of votes than turn out in most elections. The apathy in both arenas is rampant.

You really want the Senate that is about to help make a mockery of the Public School system with the amount of chaos they are about to create this session with frivolous bills in charge of the NCHSAA?

Reactions: mtnpack
I guess whenever the bylaws were created, it was anticipated that school administrators would follow through with their duty to be a member in good standing and vote on issues presented.
I know a school administrator that was over 18 schools. In the vote to remove Parochial schools the administrator did not vote because her schools wanted to keep them in their league. A no vote was the same as not voting. If it were required to provide a vote there would ahve been 18 no votes.

I think they should go to 8 classes and that will put 54 (as of now) in each class and will allow for 80 new schools before a new class has to be made and 10 new in a class before a school gets reclassified. The only "problem" with this new set up whether its 7 or 8 classes is the amount of 1a schools that would play football. they would have to have a separate playoff structure for 1a football.
For the most part the sports are competitive with four classifications.

Let's keep it simple, go to five classifications the first alignment with a plan to go to six on alignment 2 or 3.

I think this looks good, in that it basically puts into effect around the same number per class that existed back when NCHSAA originally chose 4 classes was appropriate. 100+ in a class is absurd when most states have 50-60 per class. But still a lot of questions...

Are they going to classify different sports separately? Or just let it ride with 30-something football schools in 1A?

Will there be split conferences? If not, you'll have some outliers with a lot of travel.

Also don't love that it's back to solely ADM. I'm not sure the multipliers they used this time around were the answer, but going by just ADM and saying parochial schools, charter schools, magnet schools, and zoned schools are apples to apples just isn't reality.

I think the biggest issue is having the same amount of teams in a classification. 2A and 3A should have more teams as the ADMs are closer together between the largest and the smallest schools in the class. I think four classes with those two having about 60% of the schools and then subdivide team sports for those two classifications. 1A and 4A would have less. This basically gives you six classifications for playoffs.

Football should be aligned totally separately from the other sports. The NCHSAA offered that option about 16 years ago and the schools did not like it especially the ADs. Small picture, short term vision.

There will have to be a lot of split conferences the more classifications there are. Simple math.

Before anything is done the NCHSAA and the state need to come up with some determination of charter schools, parochials, and schools that allow students to play sports that do not live in the district. I think this is should be for 1A and 2A to start and they can look at 3A and 4A in the future but for now the biggest problem is in the smallest classifications.

Reactions: footballstar_17
I’d say under that 64 per class suggestion that half the 1A schools don’t have a football team.

Reactions: BK13T-$
This is a good thing, finally the small schools will get to compete against other small schools. I’m all for it

Here are the 64 smallest schools in the NCHSAA using the most recent ADM. Obviously a lot more in the East but that's just where each school is listed at the moment. Looks like about 25? of these 64 schools field a football team.

1A East​

• Lejeune 398 *
  • East Columbus 393 *
  • West Columbus 392 *
  • Henderson Collegiate 388
  • North Duplin 385 *
  • Northwest Halifax 384 *
  • East Wake Academy 382
  • Chatham Central 377 *
  • Northside (Beaufort County) 375 *
  • Eno River Academy 360
  • Roxboro Community 356
  • Falls Lake Academy 342
  • Vance Charter 335
  • Triangle Math and Science 334
  • Washington County 326 *
  • Jones 308 *
  • Southern Wake Academy 304
  • Ascend Leadership Academy 289
  • North East Carolina Prep 282
  • Rocky Mount Prep 262
  • Oxford Prep 250
  • Bear Grass Charter 248 *
  • Southeast Halifax 241 *
  • Wilson Prep 236 *
  • Neuse Charter 235
  • Weldon 233 *
  • South Creek 230 *
  • North Edgecombe 221 *
  • Cape Hatteras 213
  • Chatham Charter 191
  • River Mill Academy 187
  • Columbia 184 *
  • Woods Charter 174
  • Clover Garden 170
  • Excelsior Classical 149
  • Mattamuskeet 88
  • Ocracoke 51

1A West​

• Cornerstone Charter 413
  • Sugar Creek Charter 406
  • Gray Stone Day 398
  • Hayesville 393 *
  • Christ the King 393 *
  • Triad Math & Science 365
  • Thomas Jefferson 361 *
  • South Davidson 357 *
  • Robbinsville 345 *
  • Bethany Community 342
  • North Stokes 310 *
  • Rosman 300 *
  • NC Leadership Academy 299
  • Apprentice Academy 225
  • Andrews 225 *
  • Carolina International 204
  • Hiwassee Dam 157
  • NCSSM (Morganton) 150
  • Winston-Salem Prep 146 *
  • Millennium Charter 142
  • Cabarrus Charter 134
  • College Prep & Leadership Academy 132
  • Tri-County Early College 126
  • Highlands 113
  • Blue Ridge Early College 87
  • NC School for the Deaf 35
  • Nantahala 31

Last edited:
You really want the Senate that is about to help make a mockery of the Public School system with the amount of chaos they are about to create this session with frivolous bills in charge of the NCHSAA?
Public schools do a fairly decent job of that themselves.

Here are the 64 smallest schools in the NCHSAA using the most recent ADM. Obviously a lot more in the East but that's just where each school is listed at the moment. Looks like about 25? of these 64 schools field a football team.

1A East​

• Lejeune 398 *
  • East Columbus 393 *
  • West Columbus 392 *
  • Henderson Collegiate 388
  • North Duplin 385 *
  • Northwest Halifax 384 *
  • East Wake Academy 382
  • Chatham Central 377 *
  • Northside (Beaufort County) 375 *
  • Eno River Academy 360
  • Roxboro Community 356
  • Falls Lake Academy 342
  • Vance Charter 335
  • Triangle Math and Science 334
  • Washington County 326 *
  • Jones 308 *
  • Southern Wake Academy 304
  • Ascend Leadership Academy 289
  • North East Carolina Prep 282
  • Rocky Mount Prep 262
  • Oxford Prep 250
  • Bear Grass Charter 248 *
  • Southeast Halifax 241 *
  • Wilson Prep 236 *
  • Neuse Charter 235
  • Weldon 233 *
  • South Creek 230 *
  • North Edgecombe 221 *
  • Cape Hatteras 213
  • Chatham Charter 191
  • River Mill Academy 187
  • Columbia 184 *
  • Woods Charter 174
  • Clover Garden 170
  • Excelsior Classical 149
  • Mattamuskeet 88
  • Ocracoke 51

1A West​

• Cornerstone Charter 413
  • Sugar Creek Charter 406
  • Gray Stone Day 398
  • Hayesville 393 *
  • Christ the King 393 *
  • Triad Math & Science 365
  • Thomas Jefferson 361 *
  • South Davidson 357 *
  • Robbinsville 345 *
  • Bethany Community 342
  • North Stokes 310 *
  • Rosman 300 *
  • NC Leadership Academy 299
  • Apprentice Academy 225
  • Andrews 225 *
  • Carolina International 204
  • Hiwassee Dam 157
  • NCSSM (Morganton) 150
  • Winston-Salem Prep 146 *
  • Millennium Charter 142
  • Cabarrus Charter 134
  • College Prep & Leadership Academy 132
  • Tri-County Early College 126
  • Highlands 113
  • Blue Ridge Early College 87
  • NC School for the Deaf 35
  • Nantahala 31
Rville will dominate everyone in the west if this sticks.

So the current bylaw has language that, if less than 50% of a class participates in a particular sport, then schools in that class get placed in the next highest classification's playoff bracket. I don't see that in the proposed amendment, but I wonder if it ends up in there by the time this is all said and done. And then 1A is basically the same as it is now...

Last edited:
Reactions: sbbbfan and btango
For the most part the sports are competitive with four classifications.

Let's keep it simple, go to five classifications the first alignment with a plan to go to six on alignment 2 or 3.
Wouldn't 5 make 1a over 600?

Also when is the vote over.
Im ready for the results

5 might work if you count the non football schools but a football only with 5 classes is what we have now or worse
5 classes counting all schools would be around 86 if we have 430 schools.
I wonder what are the 86 smallest schools?

I think the biggest issue is having the same amount of teams in a classification. 2A and 3A should have more teams as the ADMs are closer together between the largest and the smallest schools in the class. I think four classes with those two having about 60% of the schools and then subdivide team sports for those two classifications. 1A and 4A would have less. This basically gives you six classifications for playoffs.

Football should be aligned totally separately from the other sports. The NCHSAA offered that option about 16 years ago and the schools did not like it especially the ADs. Small picture, short term vision.

There will have to be a lot of split conferences the more classifications there are. Simple math.

Before anything is done the NCHSAA and the state need to come up with some determination of charter schools, parochials, and schools that allow students to play sports that do not live in the district. I think this is should be for 1A and 2A to start and they can look at 3A and 4A in the future but for now the biggest problem is in the smallest classifications.
Btango, why does highschoolot break it down like this......
1a 64
2a 64
3a 64
4a 64
5a 64
6a 64
7a 48?????

Is there a reason for this?
I would think it would be divided evenly.
432÷7=61.7
Anyone?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Btango, why does highschoolot break it down like this......
1a 64
2a 64
3a 64
4a 64
5a 64
6a 64
7a 48?????

Is there a reason for this?
I would think it would be divided evenly.
432÷7=61.7
Anyone?
No idea. I have no issue with offset numbers and have voiced that two classes should have about half the number of schools as the other two classes. Then subdivide the two classes with the larger amount of schools for all team sport playoffs. 2A and 3A have less difference between the largest and smallest schools so give them the most and subdivide.

Say it as loud as you can, "charters, privates, and open enrollment style smaller classifications schools and where/how they are classified must be the first item to determine."

If we push those advantage schools up then Reidsville and others would be 1a unless we go 7a or maybe 6a. That's because charters have driven down the enrollment of public schools.

I like your thoughts on 5a after crunching some numbers but only if all 432 schools are counted. That's around 86 each class. I think that puts 1a around 450 but that's not going happen with the 64 limit.

I do not like making 2a and 3a larger and subdividing them.
Sounds like the divided would be smaller than 1a

I do not like making 2a and 3a larger and subdividing them.
Sounds like the divided would be smaller than 1a
What do you mean would be smaller? The number of schools playing for a team title would be less?

The reason I liked 2A and 3A having more schools was due to their ADMs are much closer and would be more simple for setting conferences without splits.

1A and 4A with approximately 18% of the schools in each class. 2A and 3A at 32% per class subdivided to 16%. That gives six state champs in team sports.

I personally prefer five classes with football only schools used for alignment with open district 1A and 2A schools (based on how they would fit into the five classes) being separated out to a sixth classification for non football team sports. Would need a lot of research into that plan on what would constitute a standard public school going to that sixth class. Football playing schools would need to have a multiplier for charters, privates, or if allowing out of district athletes. Very confusing but any more than free lunch and how your school did in the Cup?

I think 1a should be the smallest.
Your plan has 1a and 4a the largest and 2a,2aa,3a,3aa the smallest.

I do like your 5 classes but not football only.
That would basically be what we have now with schools having over 700 in 1a.
Glad you find it funny.

Reactions: Mbulld
I see nothing wrong with the proposal of having the smallest 64 schools in a league of their own
Have a32 team bracket for the championship

I don't think they would be 32 football teams in 1a is the problem
More like 25.

Reactions: Mbulld
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT