ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA classes released for the 2025-2026 season.

My thought is, if someone lives within the city limits they should be districted into the city school system.
Just so people here do not get it confused. (I know you understand the situation.)

There are right at twenty systems in NC that city only and separate from the county system. When there is one school system there is going to be overlap.

My question and I think OC can answer this. Do property taxes support the school sytem and does a portion of Thomasville City Limit residential housing property tax go to Thomasville City Schools. IF so, do properties zoned for the county school system not pay a portion of the tax?

Living in the city limits of Mount Airy I pay city & county taxes on my house. Also a separate city & county tax plus a school tax on my car license plate each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: btango
Just so people here do not get it confused. (I know you understand the situation.)

There are right at twenty systems in NC that city only and separate from the county system. When there is one school system there is going to be overlap.

My question and I think OC can answer this. Do property taxes support the school sytem and does a portion of Thomasville City Limit residential housing property tax go to Thomasville City Schools. IF so, do properties zoned for the county school system not pay a portion of the tax?

There is a school system tax in each district depening on what district you live in I am pretty sure. I never pay attention to my property taxes in detail since it goes to the mortgage company.

I think there are actually 19 city schools systems exactly with 3 counties accounting for 9 of them

Living in the city limits of Mount Airy I pay city & county taxes on my house. Also a separate city & county tax plus a school tax on my car license plate each year.
So can Surry County kids go to Mt Airy since it’s a city school.

So can Surry County kids go to Mt Airy since it’s a city school.
It has happened in the past. They were always talking about those kids just across the state line coming to Mt. Airy. Seems like they have said it’s only a few miles From where they live to school.

Reactions: BK13T-$
It has happened in the past. They were always talking about those kids just across the state line coming to Mt. Airy. Seems like they have said it’s only a few miles From where they live to school.
Only hearsay and in your words (THEY WERE). I posted in the past that this was a possibility since some parents living in Va. may work at the school and bring their kids with them and that included K thru 12. Two Va. counties, Patrick, & Carroll, border Mount Airy and it is closer for many in those counties to work in Mount Airy.

Charters are public schools and as this thread and others mentions they are not the only issue in regard to geographical districting.
Personally I think they need to be in their own league. You can say what you want about them being public schools. But when schools have to write checks because one of their student went to a charter school. That's in their district. That's ridiculous. That's exactly what happens. They don't get money from the state. When somebody from Surry county goes to millennium charter whatever school it is has to write that check to millennium charter for the amount allotted per student.

There are fifteen city school systems. Most, if not all city districts have a supplemental property tax that is a pass through to the schools.

In Thomasville, the supplemental school property tax is 19.5 cents per $100 of property valuation. I believe Lexington’s is still twelve cents per hundred. Lexington can have a lower rate because, their entire city limits (plus some county area) is in their city district and pays the tax. In Thomasville, only a portion (less than half) of the city limits is in the city school district.

City residents who live outside the city school district neither pay the tax, nor can they run for or vote in school board elections. In November of this year, for the first time, Thomasville will have a nonpartisan elected school board.

In an anomaly, all Thomasville city taxpayers pay property tax to the general fund, which pays for city owned Cushwa Stadium. Only city schools play home games there. When the city bites that half million dollar bullet to replace the decaying visitor stands, there will likely be an uproar. The city performs all maintenance and upkeep, which is far more than the annual $15,000 charge the schools pay the city. I’m a diehard Bulldog, but that’s unsustainable.

Reactions: btango
Personally I think they need to be in their own league. You can say what you want about them being public schools. But when schools have to write checks because one of their student went to a charter school. That's in their district. That's ridiculous. That's exactly what happens. They don't get money from the state. When somebody from Surry county goes to millennium charter whatever school it is has to write that check to millennium charter for the amount allotted per student.
I think they should be in the NCHSAA but when the playoffs start they need to be in their own division at that point. Same for the private and the schools that allow out of district athletes. If the schools are in 3A and 4A not as much of an issue.

As I have learned over the years this is much more complex than most people realize. A LOT of moving parts!

I think they should be in the NCHSAA but when the playoffs start they need to be in their own division at that point. Same for the private and the schools that allow out of district athletes. If the schools are in 3A and 4A not as much of an issue.

As I have learned over the years this is much more complex than most people realize. A LOT of moving parts!

Is there a district that doesn't have athletes from out of district?

But you're right, it's very complex and there is no easy way to fix it other than stop supporting people using our tax dollars for vouchers.

But you're right, it's very complex and there is no easy way to fix it other than stop supporting people using our tax dollars for vouchers.
Absolutely not, I am willing to bet my measly paycheck that every district has out of district students. I sent all 3 of mine to private schools at some point of their K-12 education, but I footed 100% of the bill.

Doubtful. I had an administrator tell me the school did not allow it but then found teacher's children there, students who had moved out of the district after attending, student that attended because they did not have a program at their home school. The response was, "those are the same thing." Yes, it is.

The only thing in North Carolina more dysfunctional than the NCHSAA administration is our state legislature. They both love power and abuse it regularly. Both are more interested in throwing their weight around than serving those they represent.
But before we criticize the member schools too much, they probably get a higher percentage of votes than turn out in most elections. The apathy in both arenas is rampant.
There is big difference between not voting counts as a No and not voting counts as well, not voting.

As I have written here before some schools / systems do not vote because they would vote no so by not voting it is a no. The goal should be to require all members to vote.
I agree but as I've written before, I'm sure that when the bylaws were written, it was assumed that school administrators would be responsible members of the association. The problem now is it would take the same kind of vote to create a bylaw that says your principal or his designee must vote or face some sort of sanction. They would do the same inaction and nothing will change. My only hope with Legislative involvement has been they could force the issue by statute, thus overriding the NCHSAA bylaws. I realize the camel is poking his nose under the tent but he's going to anyway.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I read yesterday the Coaches association said that 74 schools had to voted yet. I’m not sure how they received that information.

Doubtful. I had an administrator tell me the school did not allow it but then found teacher's children there, students who had moved out of the district after attending, student that attended because they did not have a program at their home school. The response was, "those are the same thing." Yes, it is.
If the state legislatures really care about high school athletics require each school district report the number/percentage of students who do not live in the school district to the NCHSAA. Also require each school to report the number/percentage of transfers currently enrolled to the NCHSAA. This info should also include any schools impacted and therefore lost potential athletes. The data should be scrutinized and analyzed to see if certain schools/school districts have an unfair advantage. From reading in certain areas like Forsyth County we see that some schools within a school system gain students from other schools within the school systems. Names of students should be redacted but for transparency issues I think it’s a no-brainer. I don’t see enough transparency at this time.

Reactions: ocdavis31
You didn't call out all the others. They all have transfers of some kind. I bet you would be hard up to find any school that doesn't have any transfers.

That's pretty much been my point. Which is why I said people aren't ready for that information.

Do graham county but you won't.
That's funny coming from Tarboro fan
Graham only has 1 high school. They may get some kids from Jackson, Cherokee, and Swain Counties but I'd say the least moving around in the state happens in the far western reaches.
I'd say Robbinsville gets less transfers than 95% of the state.

Jackson county (Smoky Mtn) is 1 hour away.

That's funny coming from Tarboro fan

I'd say Robbinsville gets less transfers than 95% of the state.

Jackson county (Smoky Mtn) is 1 hour away.
All I'm saying is it happens practically in every county in the state. But for some reason, it's a big deal whenever a transfer happens in edgecombe or Surry county. Btw edgecombe has districts.

Last edited:
I think what he's trying to say is that what we're trying to avoid is the public schools fiascos that we have sometime. It was never independence as fault that they were that good they had the right area that was being bussed in and no matter what you think he did a hell of a job developing kids. It's obviously the same thing in South Carolina for him. I think what we're trying to avoid is the Mallard Creeks of the world where he brings kids in and then just discards them after they're done. Doesn't develop them doesn't try to get them into college doesn't try to make them better people. Because he wasn't a very good one himself. I think some people underestimate the quality of the coach. I brought up Glenn and East Forsyth earlier. Glenn was a powerhouse well very very good for a long time. Regardless I think if you live in a school district and you pay local taxes you should either pay the full amount per pupil to go to another school or you should not go. Forsyth county is a mess more so than just anything about transferring for football. But they've had some coaches who developed people into good people great football players. And a lot of people see that.

Some of y'all aren't ready for that information.
Why we have little to no transparency. A school whose student body that has an abundance of net transfers have a distinct advantage over those schools who have more students transferring out than in. Some school systems offer magnets that are geared for educational purposes so not everything is based on athletics.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Why we have little to no transparency. A school whose student body that has an abundance of net transfers have a distinct advantage over those schools who have more students transferring out than in. Some school systems offer magnets that are geared for educational purposes so not everything is based on athletics.

I bet if you called your local school board they'd disclose the info. I'm pretty sure it's at least reported

I bet if you called your local school board they'd disclose the info. I'm pretty sure it's at least reported
Make a public records request to the superintendent’s office and ask how many students attend that don’t live in the district. They definitely won’t give you names, and probably not even gender or grade level. If worded probably, they’ll likely honor the request. May take a while because their attorney will have to vet it.
You could also ask how much tuition is paid by a student from out of district.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT