ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA Amendment To Expand Classifications PASSED To Start In 2025

TD-FridayNight

Oct 28, 2015
Mayberry - RFD,NC

NCHSAA amendment to expand classifications has passed, will go into effect in 2025​

However, in the General Assembly there is currently a bill — SB 636 — that, among other things, would limit the NCHSAA to four classifications and require the NCHSAA to move all charter and parochial schools up one class regardless of their ADM.

NCHSAA amendment to expand classifications has passed, will go into effect in 2025​

However, in the General Assembly there is currently a bill — SB 636 — that, among other things, would limit the NCHSAA to four classifications and require the NCHSAA to move all charter and parochial schools up one class regardless of their ADM.
I think they amended SB 636 to allow for more classifications.

Be interesting to see how this works itself out, if the General Assembly limits it to 4 classes, this vote was basically for nothing. We will see if they amend that part of the bill.

Have it from two individuals that know the inner workings there that the classification section can and will be changed. To me that shows they do not know as much as they should if that was put in to start with.

Reactions: KW23

LOL, I had to read through this twice before I realized the NCHSAA actually got the votes needed from all schools to get this passed. It is not often they get enough schools to actually vote. As Gomer Pyle would say Surprise Surprise Surprise. At least 324 of the NCHSAA's 432 voted yes.

Last edited:
Thinking there may be one class for charters, parochials, and non football playing schools in 1A/2A. That would result in six “standard” classifications.
How many non football playing schools are 2A? Or is that under new setup?

So the question is are they going ruin 1a, 2A, or both
My read on what he said was those schools mentioned would be one class, then 6 others started with what we would call 1A football playing. Would probably send some traditional 2A down.

Maybe btango can expound on his thoughts.

At the end of the day 1a will be a lot tougher than the aa/a split we did have.

Video by Nick Stevens and J. Mike Blake

Round Table: Nick Stevens and J. Mike Blake break down NCHSAA realignment news. About a 17 Minute Video Explaining Changes. (Click Link Below)​

Last edited:
Sounds like somebody is wanting the silver spoons schools in a league of their own so they can finally win a state championship in football

• Haha
Reactions: Jmappfan5
Sounds like somebody is wanting the silver spoons schools in a league of their own so they can finally win a state championship in football
There are not enough charter and parochial schools playing football to have a football only unless it is an absolutely low level of football excellence playing for that title.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Thinking there may be one class for charters, parochials, and non football playing schools in 1A/2A. That would result in six “standard” classifications.
This would not be much different than when the four classes were drawn up with football only schools then the non football ones placed except now the charters/parochials would have their own non football playoffs.

The other bill that passed the house today I think overall was a good one. It requires schools to take cash for admission. A lot of older people don’t have smart phones and a lot of kids don’t have bank accounts. I do understand the school stance that it is more accountable and safer than cash.

The part of that bill though that was removed was the requirement for all HS to take the Tar Heel card. Why alienate a few older people for a few more bucks. Currently required to be taken at all NCHSAA events including state championships. That was a good thing NCHSAA did.

There are not enough charter and parochial schools playing football to have a football only unless it is an absolutely low level of football excellence playing for that title.
I would rather keep the silver spoons in 1a than have to compete with all the 2a that are going to move down
If they f——— this up I say we need to drop out and go back to pre 69
The association doesn’t do anything but take all the playoff money anyway, and what do we get. A wooden placard

I would rather keep the silver spoons in 1a than have to compete with all the 2a that are going to move down
If they f——— this up I say we need to drop out and go back to pre 69
The association doesn’t do anything but take all the playoff money anyway, and what do we get. A wooden placard
With six classifications why include the non football playing schools in that group of a maximum of 384?

Speak to your state rep. That is who is going to have final say.

Yeah I thought twice about the wording and changed it right as you were writing this, looks like. But one can be sacrificed by someone else. And it’s still a sac fly if you meant to hit a home run.

Ultimately, it’s a tiny school that didn’t win a conference game for a decade at one point, was only in the mix occasionally even with subdivisions. Then subdivisions get taken away to force the hand to vote for more classes (to help smaller schools like them.) And it works, except Andrews has a once in a generation team during that time would have been a favorite to win with subdivisions. They lose in the 4th round when the other schools left are all 2-3x their size. People realize 4 classes is unfair and vote to expand (not just because of them, but they would be Exhibit A in my opinion). So if you’re Andrews, would you be happy that classes expanded and will help you in the future? Or upset that what it took to get there meant it was way harder to win a title the year you had your best team ever?

Video by Nick Stevens and J. Mike Blake

Round Table: Nick Stevens and J. Mike Blake break down NCHSAA realignment news. About a 17 Minute Video Explaining Changes. (Click Link Below)​

I hope everyone got a chance to watch the above video. It is really informative on the realignment.

Looks better now.

Hope they take out open enrollment in the other bill.

Looks better now.

Hope they take out open enrollment in the other bill.
BK, I understand you wanting to avoid moving charters up for football. But for most sports, they need to be moved up. With seven classes, playoffs will be a problem in football too if they don’t move up.

They need football separate

They can't be 7a in some sports.
Like Wrestling. Unless they combine 1a 2a for playoffs.
1a Football will be ran by 2a schools that flip with charters.

Reactions: smashmouth5

Who knows what they’ll do. But I think it will be 7 for most sports. I really don’t think they’ll carve football out by itself.

They're currently running sports like lacrosse and Spring track and field on a 1A/2A/3A playoff bracket

Reactions: BK13T-$
How will football be 7a.
1a will not have enough teams.
They can't move 1a up because 2a would have more than 64.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
How and in what version this bill in the state legislature passes will greatly affect the new by law that has passed. The NCHSAA and the General Assembly are evidently not on speaking terms. If the bill doesnt pass, then I think the new by law works just fine, with one major problem being that there are not enough football playing schools in 1a. If this bill passes that require the charter schools to play in the classification that there surrounding schools are in the charters are going to be spread around throughout classifications, and there will be a greater ADM discrepancy in 1a-which is one good thing the by law change was going to take care of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT