ADVERTISEMENT

NCHSAA classes released for the 2025-2026 season.

The way I read it, if 1a has 64 schools but fewer than 32 schools had that particular sport then 1a & 2a would be combined for that sport. So I would say it would be combined for football, wrestling but not for baseball, basketball. Not sure about some of the others.

The way I read it, if 1a has 64 schools but fewer than 32 schools had that particular sport then 1a & 2a would be combined for that sport. So I would say it would be combined for football, wrestling but not for baseball, basketball. Not sure about some of the others.
If 1A can't make a 16-team bracket, they'll be combined with 2A.

Robbinsville would win every year at Wrestling. only teams to stop us is Avery and UC and they both are over 600.

Yeah at 64 almost yearly we'd win.

It needs to be 85. That's gets a lot more football schools in the mix.
Probably be 465 and under instead of 400 and under.
But as more charters open those football schools between 425 and 465 get pushed up.
Charters have really jacked up athletics.

Reactions: ColeridgeNC
Robbinsville would win every year at Wrestling. only teams to stop us is Avery and UC and they both are over 600.
There is now way all sports will have 6,7,or 8 classes. Got remember to think this is football only. Wrestling only needs 3 classes. 1a don’t even get a full tournament at states. 8 kids make states and the top 4 place.

Tango why do you want the little schools equal to the big schools
If they were equal they wouldn’t be little schools
Think about it
Where have I ever writen that? I am one of the few that has brought up “open” style enrollment for small schools being an issue with the smaller classifications not only with charters and privates but also with “standard” public districted schools.

They need to do football only conferences and alignment. Separate from other sports.
Other sports follow the current proposal and have 7a.
Football only alignment 6a.

The solution is 5 classes.

20-20-20-20-20
Non-Zoned schools, parochial schools, and charters need a 2X multiplier in my opinion.

Example, a Charter in Raleigh has let's say 350, they'd get be classed based on 700.

Small charter in a small town, with say 190 students, is classed based on 380.

To me, that is fair.

Reactions: RD28327
Be interesting to compile a list of counties that allow open enrollment. Or that have policies that virtually allow open enrollment with players transferring without changing addresses or sitting out a year. I realize that’s really the same thing, but not everyone acknowledges they have open enrollment by calling it that.
Is it accurate to start with Forsyth, Rowan and Cleveland?

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Can we get off the solution is 5 classes? What happens in 10 years when there are 50 more charter schools and the metro counties have added 10 more high schools at least?

You have to plan for growth. Something North Carolina has never done a good job doing.

Can we get off the solution is 5 classes? What happens in 10 years when there are 50 more charter schools and the metro counties have added 10 more high schools at least?

You have to plan for growth. Something North Carolina has never done a good job doing.
Come what may, this discussion or something similar will take place about every 4 years.

The solution is 5 classes.

20-20-20-20-20
Non-Zoned schools, parochial schools, and charters need a 2X multiplier in my opinion.

Example, a Charter in Raleigh has let's say 350, they'd get be classed based on 700.

Small charter in a small town, with say 190 students, is classed based on 380.

To me, that is fair.
No matter how many classes you have, you definitely need some kind of multiplier for the charters, parochials, and those other non-zoned schools!

Why not go five classes for the next four years? At that point they we will have an idea if that is good or go to six or more.

Be interesting to compile a list of counties that allow open enrollment. Or that have policies that virtually allow open enrollment with players transferring without changing addresses or sitting out a year. I realize that’s really the same thing, but not everyone acknowledges they have open enrollment by calling it that.
Is it accurate to start with Forsyth, Rowan and Cleveland?
OC, more Schools than you can imagine have some form of open enrollment. Just read about the movement of players on all 4 classifications. Yes, Forsyth County is open enrollment. Prep should not even be in existence. It was founded with grant money and had great intentions. But all those intentions and the money has run out. It only has about 180 students and Carver has space for about 400 more students. Why not combine? Only 2 miles apart. But back to your question, are all these transfers involving bonafide moves. Every year, you read about players swapping schools in Surry county, the SMC is always talking about players moving school. Burke County, players moving. Clinton, Reidsville, etc. getting players. You are involved with a city system, does it and other city systems gain advantage for being a single school system. During Elkin power days, always heard it had Yadkin and Wilkes county kids. Always rumors of Mt. Airy, (don’t go off the deep end Buzz,)

Maybe they are all bonafide moves? In Forsyth we don’t hide it.

OC, more Schools than you can imagine have some form of open enrollment. Just read about the movement of players on all 4 classifications. Yes, Forsyth County is open enrollment. Prep should not even be in existence. It was founded with grant money and had great intentions. But all those intentions and the money has run out. It only has about 180 students and Carver has space for about 400 more students. Why not combine? Only 2 miles apart. But back to your question, are all these transfers involving bonafide moves. Every year, you read about players swapping schools in Surry county, the SMC is always talking about players moving school. Burke County, players moving. Clinton, Reidsville, etc. getting players. You are involved with a city system, does it and other city systems gain advantage for being a single school system. During Elkin power days, always heard it had Yadkin and Wilkes county kids. Always rumors of Mt. Airy, (don’t go off the deep end Buzz,)

Maybe they are all bonafide moves? In Forsyth we don’t hide it.
That’s somewhat my point. I think it’s pretty widespread, depending on how it’s defined. When we start talking about treating charters and open enrollment differently from others (such as doubling ADM’s), there might be more of the former than the latter. Would likely throw the whole thing into chaos. I’m not against adjusting for those, but not sure it’s practical.

I don’t know that Thomasville benefits these days from county kids. The majority of students in Thomasville live in rental properties. Too easy to move a mile or two and you’re in a different district. The two-way flow between Thomasville and Davidson County has pretty much been cut off by the county. But Thomasville has been an anomaly for forty years since the district lines were frozen. In any other city, all of the kids in the city limits would go to city schools and Thomasville would be 3-A.

But Thomasville has been an anomaly for forty years since the district lines were frozen. In any other city, all of the kids in the city limits would go to city schools and Thomasville would be 3-A.
If the city limits became the true district for Thomasville how would they do in 3A football?

I believe if schools were told if they had any students from outside the district playing sports they would get the multiplier those schools would probably not do it.

There would need to be a few exceptions I am sure and that is where it would get cloudy. Children of teachers at the school can attend and play sports? If a student starts freshman year and completes that grade or may be sophomore school year they can remain and complete their high school years and not count? What if that student has siblings do you split them up? I would think not.

A lot of caveats and much to consider. I have set in meetings at the NCHSAA and in an LEA about residency and the circumstances people find themselves in and the circumstances adults will go are mind boggling.

Reactions: BK13T-$
Why not go five classes for the next four years? At that point they we will have an idea if that is good or go to six or more.

If you're going to do that, you have to change the wording of the bylaws now imo. They should go 5, get bylaws approved to go 5 with assumption they can send out anothet vote in 8 years and can get more classes approved. I think you just go 7 now and get it over with.

If you're going to do that, you have to change the wording of the bylaws now imo. They should go 5, get bylaws approved to go 5 with assumption they can send out anothet vote in 8 years and can get more classes approved. I think you just go 7 now and get it over with.
Getting the bylaws changed is the first thing that has to happen. We have numerous threads discussing additional classes and nothing happens without the vote in favor of changing the bylaws.

My question is how is the vote worded that has been sent out? Is it specifically to change to 7 classes or is there ability to adjust? I've been in and out of the convo and haven't read much other than the vote has been sent out.

If the city limits became the true district for Thomasville how would they do in 3A football?
Same way in Mount airy. If they used the whole city limits I think they would be 2a. And I don't think that's a bad thing there's some good athletes that go to North.

Pure speculation. But we’d get a lot of East Davidson kids, quite a few Ledford. Whether they would be the athletes or other students is where the speculation comes in.
In the 1970’s, there were 1000 kids at Thomasville. We did pretty well, but those were mostly the days of WNCHSAA and only the conference winner made the playoffs. The biggest difference would be in allowing two platooning, which was always Thomasville’s strength. I’d love to find out.

Same way in Mount airy. If they used the whole city limits I think they would be 2a. And I don't think that's a bad thing there's some good athletes that go to North.

They do use the whole city limits and like Elkin they also pull a small area outside the city

They do use the whole city limits and like Elkin they also pull a small area outside the city
Not what I heard in fact I know it's not true The park across the street from where the school is where they have the carnival and stuff is not in Mount airy city schools. Either is the area is up 52. Pass the mall. And that's still in the city limits

Mount Airy has grown since the person told you its size. I hope this map helps. It will enlarge if you scroll to see street names. It is only about 1 mile from the Virginia state line up Hwy 52 or Greenhill Rd, and not much more up Hwy 89 to North Surry High.

Last edited:

Thats the map. Looks like part of area up 52 isn't.
It is 52 south almost to Skline Mormoral Gardens and north to Greenhill Rd. to the left and right side of 52 covering over to one side of Franklin Rd on one side and to Crosscreek Country Club on the other side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT