ADVERTISEMENT

Edenton Holmes vs Reidsville Title Game

Kenzel, who had a tryout with the Steelers, just completed an outstanding first season as a kick returner for the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League. He had 1,374 yards returning kickoffs and punts.
Before Kenzel it was probably Na Brown, who was a top receiver at Carolina and then played for the Eagles.
Our friends from Edenton might remember the QB and linebacker from Elizabeth City State a couple years back. Tyrell Houghton was the QB and Steve Williams was the star linebacker. They - along with Kenzel Doe - were key pieces during Reidsville's three straight undefeated seasons 2007-2008-2009.
Here's a piece on Houghton from today's paper: http://www.dailyadvance.com/Sports/2016/12/13/Know-your-opponent-Former-ECSU-QB-does.html

There's that confusion again over the number of state titles. NCHSAA doesn't count the championships from 1961 to 1971 when they subdivided the classes into regions. Reidsville actually has 18 titles instead of 15 (they subdivide into ADM numbers now but count the titles).
Edenton also has one of those unfairly uncredited regional titles (1969) so NCHSAA probably has the Aces with 8 instead of 9.

Thanks for posting the link. Good article.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHAces
Man, this thread has been super quiet compared to the Lincolnton thread. No jabs. No trash talking. No Reidsville Schedule Sucks or nothing. I guess we just need to throw out petty insults....lol

Reactions: ramking2012
Man, this thread has been super quiet compared to the Lincolnton thread. No jabs. No trash talking. No Reidsville Schedule Sucks or nothing. I guess we just need to throw out petty insults....lol

A different crowd of folk. Major respect to both teams for even getting there. Let's just hope and pray for an injury free ball game. #gorams

Reactions: AcesWild2323

FB the post that started this thread told everybody to read post 800 on page 21 of Lincolnton/Reidsville thread if you want to talk schedule.

You took a lot of the fun out right away.

Then Edenton has one consistent poster and he sounds like he is knowledgeable of their football history and sensible in posts.

That just leaves Reidsville posters to talk about game times, weather, how well you guys will defend Edenton and of course to put in a link where #34 speaks on year/game. :rolleyes: Really??

You can't even tell JAHAces where to eat (apparently there is only one place) because game is at neutral site.

Can't even get the ram twin posters(fan002 and 2012) fired up and that doesn't take much of a spark.

What you got to talk about?

Going to watch some paint dry now. Need some stimulation.

Reactions: ramking2012
FB the post that started this thread told everybody to read post 800 on page 21 of Lincolnton/Reidsville thread if you want to talk schedule.

You took a lot of the fun out right away.

Then Edenton has one consistent poster and he sounds like he is knowledgeable of their football history and sensible in posts.

That just leaves Reidsville posters to talk about game times, weather, how well you guys will defend Edenton and of course to put in a link where #34 speaks on year/game. :rolleyes: Really??

You can't even tell JAHAces where to eat (apparently there is only one place) because game is at neutral site.

Can't even get the ram twin posters(fan and 2012) fired up and that doesn't take much of a spark.

What you got to talk about?

Going to watch some paint dry now. Need some stimulation.

Cant tell if you are happy or mad to see #34, as you refer to him, get recognition.

Cant tell if you are happy or mad to see #34, as you refer to him, get recognition.
Happy and Frank it's just a tiny jab because of where he was last 3 years. Hope he does well in SC. He is a fine football player. Watched him play for 5 years counting middle school.

There are a number of reasons it has been so quiet. To begin with, most of us on this end are just not like that. Also we are cautious because we just don't know even now the extent of how good we are. If you look at our season records since 2011 we have had a pretty good run but our ceiling has typically been the second or third round. We are also respectful of what your program has accomplished. As far as your schedule, the only thing I need to know is that you are 4-0 against some pretty good teams in the playoffs. Also our coach teaches his players to be confident but humble and we fans have tried to pick up on that.

Not a lot to really say just from what I heard stop that run and hopefully come away with a win. Hope for a injury free game and a good exciting game And a lot of hard nose hitting and tackling

Happy and Frank it's just a tiny jab because of where he was last 3 years. Hope he does well in SC. He is a fine football player. Watched him play for 5 years counting middle school.

We are glad to have him. He is an emotional leader. His mom is from Reidsville and his Grandfather is one of the best RB's to ever wear a Rams uniform. He is there every week to watch #34.

There are a number of reasons it has been so quiet. To begin with, most of us on this end are just not like that. Also we are cautious because we just don't know even now the extent of how good we are. If you look at our season records since 2011 we have had a pretty good run but our ceiling has typically been the second or third round. We are also respectful of what your program has accomplished. As far as your schedule, the only thing I need to know is that you are 4-0 against some pretty good teams in the playoffs. Also our coach teaches his players to be confident but humble and we fans have tried to pick up on that.

See.

Sensible, respectful, insightful.

This will never make it to 20 some pages.

These guys are nice.

What are they doing on NCpreps?

Refreshing though ain't it?

Reidsville has outscored its opponents 167-43 in the playoffs and Holmes has outscored its opponents 181-90 in the playoffs. Reidsville's playoff opponents had an average Simmons' ranking of 23 and Holmes' playoff opponents had an average Simmons's ranking of 27.

Reidsville has outscored its opponents 167-43 in the playoffs and Holmes has outscored its opponents 181-90 in the playoffs. Reidsville's playoff opponents had an average Simmons' ranking of 23 and Holmes' playoff opponents had an average Simmons's ranking of 27.
First let me say congratulations to both teams for making the Championship game for the 2016 season. I would especially like to to congratulate Coach Hoggard, Coach Kessler and Luke on a great season. I do have one question for the Holmes fans. In one post someone mentioned the great teams from the 1950's and 60's During that time the NC State records have Edenton Morehead a 3A school playing Rockingham for the Championship. My question is what happened to this school.

During that time the NC State records have Edenton Morehead a 3A school playing Rockingham for the Championship. My question is what happened to this school.
That was Eden Morehead of Rockingham County. Actually in the 50s, there was no Eden. That was the name chosen when Leaksville, Draper and Spray consolidated into one city in 1967.

That was Eden Morehead of Rockingham County. Actually in the 50s, there was no Eden. That was the name chosen when Leaksville, Draper and Spray consolidated into one city in 1967.
That is what I thought but while looking at the state championship list they had it as Edenton Morehead. I had always known about Leaksville , Draper and Spray being the home of Morehead High School. The post on the championship confused me. Wanted to be sure that is why I asked the question. Thanks for your answer.

That is what I thought but while looking at the state championship list they had it as Edenton Morehead. I had always known about Leaksville , Draper and Spray being the home of Morehead High School. The post on the championship confused me. Wanted to be sure that is why I asked the question. Thanks for your answer.
Additional history from the Rockingham Schools web site:
The consolidation of the communities of Leaksville, Spray and Draper, although officially sealed in 1967, actually began in 1952 with the opening of Tri-City High School to bring together the two existing high schools of the time, Leaksville High School and Draper High School. The high school continued as Tri-City High School until renamed John Motley Morehead Senior High School in1958 to honor local philanthropist and industrialist, John Motley Morehead III.

I'm guessing the Reidsville vs Linclonton thread was more active because there's some rivalry and bad blood there from previous playoff encounters? Reidsville vs Edenton is something brand new for both teams, which should make for a really good game on Saturday night. Plus, both teams are extremely well-coached and disciplined. That factor should make for a good chess match. I don't expect either team to run away with a victory. Should be one TD that determines the win.

Reactions: FBCapitolofNC
I'm guessing the Reidsville vs Linclonton thread was more active because there's some rivalry and bad blood there from previous playoff encounters?
Maybe ... but it seems Lincolnton had a more fans with keyboards.

Reactions: Rammer16
I'm guessing the Reidsville vs Linclonton thread was more active because there's some rivalry and bad blood there from previous playoff encounters? Reidsville vs Edenton is something brand new for both teams, which should make for a really good game on Saturday night. Plus, both teams are extremely well-coached and disciplined. That factor should make for a good chess match. I don't expect either team to run away with a victory. Should be one TD that determines the win.

They actually played each other back in 2000, with the Rams winning in Edenton.

A little more "way back" history: When Edenton was the Emerald Tide, our arch rivals at Eliz City High called us the "Greenies." That might explain some of why we felt the need for a new mascot.

On another note, Edenton should be a ghost town on Saturday. Lots planning to be at the game, including Aces great Wes Chesson (Duke Hall of Famer and NFL player) and former Aces state champion coaches Jerry McGee and Marion Kirby.

W
A little more "way back" history: When Edenton was the Emerald Tide, our arch rivals at Eliz City High called us the "Greenies." That might explain some of why we felt the need for a new mascot.

On another note, Edenton should be a ghost town on Saturday. Lots planning to be at the game, including Aces great Wes Chesson (Duke Hall of Famer and NFL player) and former Aces state champion coaches Jerry McGee and Marion Kirby.
What about Zack Valentine who won a Super Bowl ring with the Steelers and Robert Brown who played with the Green Bay Packers for 10 or 11 years two of the great ones from Holmes not to mention Gerry Hall who is handicapped now but another of the great ones from Holmes who was at ECU with Zack can't leave out Willie Holley who also played with them at ECU.

W

What about Zack Valentine who won a Super Bowl ring with the Steelers and Robert Brown who played with the Green Bay Packers for 10 or 11 years two of the great ones from Holmes not to mention Gerry Hall who is handicapped now but another of the great ones from Holmes who was at ECU with Zack can't leave out Willie Holley who also played with them at ECU.
Hoping they'll be there!

At least the weather gods are smiling on us 59 degrees Saturday..it will feel like summer compared to today

Yeah but hope it's a dry track......40 per cent chance of rain....but I'll be optimistic and say 60 per cent it won't rain....Winds are supposed to be gusty Sat..nite to 25 mph ...hopefully that will be later in the nite

Is this the Jerry McGee that became President of Wingate University near Charlotte.

Yeah but hope it's a dry track......40 per cent chance of rain....but I'll be optimistic and say 60 per cent it won't rain....Winds are supposed to be gusty Sat..nite to 25 mph ...hopefully that will be later in the nite
With the artificial turf, Rain won't matter. It will effect the ball

W

Robert Brown who played with the Green Bay Packers for 10 or 11 years two of the great ones from Holmes not to mention Gerry Hall who is handicapped now but another of the great ones from Holmes who was at ECU with Zack can't leave out Willie Holley who also played with them at ECU.
W

Robert Brown and long-time Reidsville assistant coach Steve Knowles were teammates on Chowan's 1978 and 1979 teams back when Chowan was a two-year college.
Want more trivia? Current Ram assistants Erik Teague and Brian Knowles were Ram ballboys when Reidsville played at Edenton in the 2000 playoffs. Erik is head coach Jimmy Teague's son and Brian is Steve Knowles' son.

Is this the Jerry McGee that became President of Wingate University near Charlotte.
No. Jerry McGee coached the Aces to two state championships in the 1960s, then went on to coach in the college ranks. He lives in Elizabeth City, and his son, Chris McGee, is head coach at Pasquotank High School in Elizabeth City. Here's a link for more info on Jerry McGee when he was inducted into the NC Sports Hall of Fame last year: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209866317

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Additional history from the Rockingham Schools web site:
The consolidation of the communities of Leaksville, Spray and Draper, although officially sealed in 1967, actually began in 1952 with the opening of Tri-City High School to bring together the two existing high schools of the time, Leaksville High School and Draper High School. The high school continued as Tri-City High School until renamed John Motley Morehead Senior High School in1958 to honor local philanthropist and industrialist, John Motley Morehead III.
Yeah, when I played JVs it was Tri-City then Morehead my Jr and Sr years. I remember going over to Eden and watching Morehead and Rockingham (now Richmond County) play for the state championship in 1959 Maybe?

No. Jerry McGee coached the Aces to two state championships in the 1960s, then went on to coach in the college ranks. He lives in Elizabeth City, and his son, Chris McGee, is head coach at Pasquotank High School in Elizabeth City. Here's a link for more info on Jerry McGee when he was inducted into the NC Sports Hall of Fame last year: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209866317
Must be a good name to have if in atheletics. Both of them are in the Hall of fame.
Must be a good name to have if you are involved in athletics. Both Jerry Mcgee's are in the NC hall of fame. The Jerry I was asking about started his career in the 1960's Tgt in his post above has the one I was asking about. Apparently both are great men.

Reactions: JAHAces
Yeah, when I played JVs it was Tri-City then Morehead my Jr and Sr years. I remember going over to Eden and watching Morehead and Rockingham (now Richmond County) play for the state championship in 1959 Maybe?
Morehead 12, Rockingham 0 in 1958 ... high school record book says Eden Morehead but it wasn't Eden until 1967.
I don't know if the school address was Leaksville or Draper at the time. School was kinda between those two major metropolitan areas.
Mule was the game played at the same stadium they have now?

I'm not the Mule but yes Morehead played at their current stadium....even tho the visitor side was not completed...in 1958 Morehead beat Rockingham at home on Thanksgiving day to finish the year 13-0....the next year they played at Rockingham and they returned the favor by beating the Panthers...............

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT