ADVERTISEMENT

Edenton Holmes vs Reidsville Title Game

FBCapitolofNC

Nov 4, 2013
Before this gets started.... If anyone from Edenton brings up Schedule or thinks Reidsville didn't play anyone, please read the 21 page 800 post between Lincolnton vs Reidsville. I will be the first to say, I don't know anything about Edenton. Haven't had time to look at stats or any film. I was surprised you beat SC.

Holmes is gonna be tough....long ways from here but the 2 have played before....In 2000 Reidsville made the long trek to Edenton in the 2nd round of the playoffs....Reidsville won that one 35-19..................

understand they have one of the best backs in the state with true sprinter's speed..you're right...triple option is tough to defend if you're not used to seeing it.................

Proud of our Rams and the triple option worries me too. We have to play disciplined assignment football in order to stop the triple option. Go Rams!!!

Reactions: SCSTALLIONS
Didn't reidsville beat 7 thru 9 in the bakers dozen in this playoff run? I doubt schedule strength is an argument anymore.

I have no doubt we will will this game but I'm more worried about Holmes than I was Lincolnton. Simply because you don't go to the state championship as a wing t team unless you are the truth and perfect at what you do. We have an outstanding defense that is very aggressive and that can be a disadvantage against a true Wing T team. We have to stay home and play responsible. We can't allow them to keep our offense off the field.

Holmes is Triple Option not wing-t. S. Columbus was wing-t. Sounds like it will be a good game. And you are right our aggression might hurt us vs their type of offense.

Holmes is Triple Option not wing-t. S. Columbus was wing-t. Sounds like it will be a good game. And you are right our aggression might hurt us vs their type of offense.
Thanks for the correction. As long as we stay home we will be fine. But it's hard to go from teaching aggression all season to now telling the kids to stay home. But they will adjust

Edenton has the talent to win this. Their only losses were to Rocky Mount who is in the 3a st championship and a loss to Northeastern. I think the teams they have played and the multiple offenses they have seen will help them tremendously. Go Aces!

Basically a home game for Reidsville. That's where my title game was in 2002 :) I still remember that bus ride back.

If reidsvilles offense shows up then it's probably a wrap. If you can get up By a few scores really on these heavy running trans then they have to throw the ball and they typically really struggle at that. Too much o for the rams in my opinion

A few notes on Edenton ...
- The Aces are 13-2 and on a 7-game winning streak. Only losses were to 3-A finalist Rocky Mount (28-17) and to rival Elizabeth City Northeastern 48-14. They got payback from that loss to Northeastern by beating them 35-21 in the third round.

- Coach is Paul Hoggard in his second year at Edenton. He is a native of the area which is why he left an ultra-successful program at 4-A Richmond County to return home. He led Richmond County to 88 wins in eight seasons and won the 4AA state title in 2008.

- Quarterback is coach's son Luke Hoggard, a 6-foot, 210-pound senior. He's a running threat (had 142 yards rushing in the Elizabeth City rematch). According to Max Preps, through 14 games he was 31-of-76 passing for 516 yards and 7 TDs while running 116 times for 468 yards and 6 touchdowns.

- Junior running back Keimon Bailey (5-6, 170) totaled 150 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries in the Northeastern rematch. He had 2,064 yards rushing in the regular season and notched 674 yards and 11 touchdowns in the first three rounds of the playoffs. He left the South Columbus game (I assume with an injury, not sure) and freshman Mitjanta Stanley (5-7, 140) filled in with five touchdowns.

- Edenton won its only state championship in 1969, also a year Reidsville won. (see correction below)

- Edenton's ADM is 606, which makes them one of the smallest 2-A schools. Edenton will drop to 1-A next year as part of the new Albemarle Conference with Camden, Perquimans, Gates, Manteo and Plymouth.

- According to Google Maps, they traveled 3 hours and 45 minutes to Tabor City for the South Columbus game. It will be a slightly shorter trip to BB&T Field in Winston-Salem, just 3 hours, 38 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ramking2012
I've seen a lot of high school football,QB from EH is one of the best I've seen. A leader on field,smart and very athletic .
If Reidsville sells them short it will be over quick. EH. Is a very solid team,very well coached. One heck of fan base also.
Good luck EH. Very quick both sides of ball.

Holmes seems like a good team. Only lost to Rocky Mount by 11. I think our offense has to play a little better on Satuday to compliment that great defensive effort.

Flashback to 1969:
2-A Eastern State Championship: Edenton 48, South Stanly 26
3-A Western State Championship: Reidsville 35, Mount Airy 12

Note that the NCHSAA doesn't consider these championships in the "official" count of state titles. Something has to be done about this slight -- these teams won the final game that the association allowed them to play. They subdivided the schools by regions then ... they subdivide them by student ADM now. Any time a team wins the final game that the association allows, it should be in the official count.

A few notes on Edenton ...
- The Aces are 13-2 and on a 7-game winning streak. Only losses were to 3-A finalist Rocky Mount (28-17) and to rival Elizabeth City Northeastern 48-14. They got payback from that loss to Northeastern by beating them 35-21 in the third round.

- Coach is Paul Hoggard in his second year at Edenton. He is a native of the area which is why he left a ultra-successful program at 4-A Richmond County to return home. He led Richmond County to 88 wins in eight seasons and won the 4AA state title in 2008.

- Quarterback is coach's son Luke Hoggard, a 6-foot, 210-pound senior. He's a running threat (had 142 yards rushing in the Elizabeth City rematch). According to Max Preps, through 14 games he was 31-of-76 passing for 516 yards and 7 TDs while running 116 times for 468 yards and 6 touchdowns.

- Junior running back Keimon Bailey (5-6, 170) totaled 150 yards and two touchdowns on 30 carries in the Northeastern rematch. He had 2,064 yards rushing in the regular season and notched 674 yards and 11 touchdowns in the first three rounds of the playoffs. He left the South Columbus game (I assume with an injury, not sure) and freshman Mitjanta Stanley (5-7, 140) filled in with five touchdowns.

- Edenton won its only state championship in 1969, also a year Reidsville won.

- Edenton's ADM is 606 makes them one of the smallest 2-A schools. They will drop to 1-A next year as part of the new Albemarle Conference with Camden, Perquimans, Gates, Manteo and Plymouth.

- According to Google Maps, they traveled 3 hours and 45 minutes to Tabor City for the South Columbus game. It will be a slightly shorter trip to BB&T Field in Winston-Salem, just 3 hours, 38 minutes.
Correction: Edenton Holmes won multiple state championship in the 1950s and 1960s. In the late 60s, our Aces were led by QB Wes Chesson. Wes played for Duke as WR, and has been the on-air analyst for Duke Football network for 35+ years. He was inducted into Duke Athletic Hall of Fame in 2013. We have tradition, and lots of it.

Coaches Paul Hoggard and Wes Mattera have brought the Edenton program back into prominence in the east. Our Triple Option is deadly, led by Luke Hoggard who can choose from four backs, most notably Keimon Bailey who is nearing 3,000 yds for the season. And our offensive power depends on an O-line that is second to none, coached by the best O-line coach in the state, Paul Hoggard. 15 games have shaped our defense into a quick, agile, and focused unit.

Looking forward to a good game vs Reidsville next week.

Before this gets started.... If anyone from Edenton brings up Schedule or thinks Reidsville didn't play anyone, please read the 21 page 800 post between Lincolnton vs Reidsville. I will be the first to say, I don't know anything about Edenton. Haven't had time to look at stats or any film. I was surprised you beat SC.
Why where you surprise the Aces beat South Columbus? We beat Northeastern that was ranked in he top ten all season and Tri-conference champions along with Hertford County and Edenton. The Aces had 3A champion Rocky Mount on the rope when they played this season before the QB threw an interception that change the out come of the game. You also can ask with no disrespect to SC about Edenton. Thanks.

Coming from a South Columbus fan. Trust me they are fast and I don't just mean RB fast. I mean everywhere fast. We didn't expect that. Hats off to the Aces. Well deserved.
And the star RB only played one serie of downs the freshman RB Stanley did most of the damage running the ball.

Reactions: JAHAces
Ple
Basically a home game for Reidsville. That's where my title game was in 2002 :) I still remember that bus ride back.
Please don't judge the size of the O and D line of the Aces they are the smallest team in their conference so don't be fooled by their size because as they say it's not the size of the dog but fight in the dog. The Aces don't worry about the size of a team they go out and play and adjust to any team they have to play.

Here we go again with the"it will be over quick for Reidsville....blah, blah"....Geez guys we are 15-0 for a reason....it's a state title game....if you don't think Reidsville has any speed (especially on D) you will be surprised yourself.......................BTW the teams have met once in their history.....in 2000.....Reidsville won in a 2nd round playoff game 35-19 (in a game played in Edenton).......................

Seen where someone said the RB left game against south Columbus hope was nothing serious he gonna be back and ready for Saturday?

Here we go again with the"it will be over quick for Reidsville....blah, blah"....Geez guys we are 15-0 for a reason....it's a state title game....if you don't think Reidsville has any speed (especially on D) you will be surprised yourself.......................BTW the teams have met once in their history.....in 2000.....Reidsville won in a 2nd round playoff game 35-19 (in a game played in Edenton).......................

What does a game played 16 years ago have to do with this game???

Correction: Edenton Holmes won multiple state championship in the 1950s and 1960s. In the late 60s, our Aces were led by QB Wes Chesson. Wes played for Duke as WR, and has been the on-air analyst for Duke Football network for 35+ years. He was inducted into Duke Athletic Hall of Fame in 2013. We have tradition, and lots of it.

Thanks JAHAces, I was taking info from an article I saw in the Elizabeth City paper, which said it is Edenton's first appearance in a state championship since 1969. A fumble on my part. ....
Upon further review:
Edenton beat Reidsville 6-0 for the1934 Class B Championship
Other championship scores for the Aces:
1954 - Edenton 41, Bessemer 20 (Class A)
1956 - Edenton 45, Mebane 6 (Class A)
1957 - Edenton 14, Mebane 7 (Class A)
1960 - Edenton 19, Hanes 7 (Class AA)
1964 - Edenton 19, Cary 0 (Class AA)
1965 - Edenton 20, Ahoskie 6 (Class AA)
1967 - Edenton 26, Southern Wayne 26, tie (Class AA East)
1969 - Edenton 48, South Stanly 26 (Class AA East)

This is quite a tradition! ... looks like the Aces have been very successful in the state championship games.
And I do remember Wes Chesson -- Blue Devil legend and hall-of-famer! Also played four years in the NFL - 40 catches with the Falcons and Eagles and two touchdowns.

Question: When did the school name become Holmes?

Last edited:
.BTW the teams have met once in their history.....in 2000.....Reidsville won in a 2nd round playoff game 35-19 (in a game played in Edenton).......................
Also in 1934 BBQ ... Reidsville lost 6-0 to Edenton in state finals .... surprised you didn't remember that one. Maybe the Mule was there!

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Ple

Please don't judge the size of the O and D line of the Aces they are the smallest team in their conference so don't be fooled by their size because as they say it's not the size of the dog but fight in the dog. The Aces don't worry about the size of a team they go out and play and adjust to any team they have to play.
Reidsville knows about lack of size - never had a lot especially in skill positions. ... IMO, in high school football quickness is much more important than size.

Thanks JAHAces, I was taking info from an article I saw in the Elizabeth City paper, which said it is Edenton's first appearance in a state championship since 1969. A fumble on my part. ....
Upon further review:

This is quite a tradition! ... looks like the Aces have been very successful in the state championship games.
And I do remember Wes Chesson -- Blue Devil legend and hall-of-famer! Also played four years in the NFL - 40 catches with the Falcons and Eagles and two touchdowns.

Upon further review:

Not really sure how and when the media and school started identifying as "Edenton Holmes" instead of just plain old Edenton. The current high school, John A. Holmes High school was built in the early 50's and is named after the superintendent in charge back then.

Just a quick note.....Reidsville and Edenton indeed have a rich football history. I know that Reidsville is close to the top and Edenton is in the top ten in all time wins...Edenton just won it's 600th game against conference foe Pasquotank this season. Good luck to both team rich in NC High School Football traditions!

Not really sure how and when the media and school started identifying as "Edenton Holmes" instead of just plain old Edenton. The current high school, John A. Holmes High school was built in the early 50's and is named after the superintendent in charge back then.

Just a quick note.....Reidsville and Edenton indeed have a rich football history. I know that Reidsville is close to the top and Edenton is in the top ten in all time wins...Edenton just won it's 600th game against conference foe Pasquotank this season. Good luck to both team rich in NC High School Football traditions!
I noticed in the articles I read online in the Daily Advance, that their writers refer to the school as Edenton - no mention of Holmes.

Reidsville is 2nd behind only Shelby in all time wins...As of last nites game Reidsville's record is 721 wins 317 losses and 38 ties .............

I noticed in the articles I read online in the Daily Advance, that their writers refer to the school as Edenton - no mention of Holmes.
They always do that. We are either Edenton Holmes or John A. Holmes and they just shorten it

Reidsville knows about lack of size - never had a lot especially in skill positions. ... IMO, in high school football quickness is much more important than size.
I think we have been the smaller team in each of our games this year

Coming from an SC fan. Edenton has the triple option running like a well oiled machine. They are no doubt the best team I've seen this year. That being said I haven't seen Reidsville. I have been keeping up through NCPreps and know they are the real deal. Should be a good one. Might have to make the trip to Wake Forest and check it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT