ADVERTISEMENT

#8 Shelby (12-2) at #2 Hibriten (14-0)

Who wins?

• Shelby

Votes: 85 63.4%
  • Hibriten

Votes: 49 36.6%

• Total voters
Impressed with Hibriten secondary. Speed, eyes for the ball, great coverage. I think they will be tested in the air, but that front 7 is crazy good as well. This will be a great game.

I for one am ready to see Shelby dismantled!

Hibriten defense is really fast. Shelby defense stacks the box played with no safety against south point I think hibriten will have to throw the ball to win this game but if they can find away to get gee in space it may be along night for Shelby. Shelby throws the ball down field alot hibriten secondary better be ready. My prediction is 17-14 hibriten
Dang Icardcav I'm starting to like you. LOL

Shelby doesnt need you or your 2SENSE. They have a hall of fame fan base already

lol, well apparently Hibritan needs your nonSENSE, as Westboro-beamer seems to be following you around.

Have fun with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: patsfball
Hibriten defense is really fast. Shelby defense stacks the box played with no safety against south point I think hibriten will have to throw the ball to win this game but if they can find away to get gee in space it may be along night for Shelby. Shelby throws the ball down field alot hibriten secondary better be ready. My prediction is 17-14 hibriten

Other than your prediction, you hit on some good points.

Hibriten's d is fast, but they are going to be shocked by how fast Shelby's offense is. Shelby's offense will have at least two scores Friday night off big plays.

Hibriten has a good run game, but again, they haven't played a defense like Shelby's. Hibriten, as you noted, will have to pass the ball or Shelby will shut the run down. However, I don't see that happening successfully for Hibriten. I could see at least one possible INT in this game for Shelby when Hibriten's run game is shut down and they try to pass.

Hibriten has been able to easily dominate, for the most part, the teams they have played because they haven't been matched when it comes to speed, athleticism, and skill. That won't be the case Friday night though.

I've seen so many fans "think" they had the ingredients to beat Shelby only to walk away shaking their heads because Shelby took it to them. I will readily admit, from what I've seen, this is not a dominate Shelby team. They have some weaknesses. However, I just don't see Hibriten being able to expose those weaknesses (that may come in the state title game though).

31-14 Shelby.

Last edited:
Other than your prediction, you hit on some good points.

Hibriten's d is fast, but they are going to be shocked by how fast Shelby's offense is. Shelby's offense will have at least two scores Friday night off big plays.

Hibriten has a good run game, but again, they haven't played a defense like Shelby's. Hibriten, as you noted, will have to pass the ball or Shelby will shut the run down. However, I don't see that happening successfully for Hibriten. I could see at least one possible INT in this game for Shelby when Hibriten's run game is shut down and they try to pass.

Hibriten has been able to easily dominate, for the most part, the teams they have played because they haven't been matched when it comes to speed, athleticism, and skill. That won't be the case Friday night though.

I've seen so many fans "think" they had the ingredients to beat Shelby only to walk away shaking their heads because Shelby took it to them. I will readily admit, from what I've seen, this is not a dominate Shelby team. They have some weaknesses. However, I just don't see Hibriten being able to expose those weaknesses (that may come in the state title game though).

31-14 Shelby.
I haven’t seen Shelby play this year but going by stats their offense seems to be missing the big play ability for the most part.... Their average yards per play each game and long plays from scrimmage kind of makes it seem they like to sustain drives.... Part of that could be system, part could be lack of speed or big men up front... But they are 12-2 for a reason and they are Shelby so I’m sure they have plenty of good players and ability...

To me this is the year (out of last 5) that a team like Hibriten could hang with and possibly upset Shelby... The Panthers definitely have to play their best game of the year which means limiting turnovers and penalties and not giving Shelby any freebies.... If our defense isn’t put in any precarious spots due to turnovers and make Shelby continuously drive the length of the field I have confidence we could stop them enough to make a game of it....

Shelby is still Shelby and it definitely will be a challenge this week but as I was always taught growing up both teams put their uniforms on the same way so let’s get dressed and see what happens when we meet on the field...

Good Luck to both teams this week and I just hope the game turns out to be a memorable one

Reactions: beamer24
I haven’t seen Shelby play this year but going by stats their offense seems to be missing the big play ability for the most part.... Their average yards per play each game and long plays from scrimmage kind of makes it seem they like to sustain drives.... Part of that could be system, part could be lack of speed or big men up front... But they are 12-2 for a reason and they are Shelby so I’m sure they have plenty of good players and ability...

To me this is the year (out of last 5) that a team like Hibriten could hang with and possibly upset Shelby... The Panthers definitely have to play their best game of the year which means limiting turnovers and penalties and not giving Shelby any freebies.... If our defense isn’t put in any precarious spots due to turnovers and make Shelby continuously drive the length of the field I have confidence we could stop them enough to make a game of it....

Shelby is still Shelby and it definitely will be a challenge this week but as I was always taught growing up both teams put their uniforms on the same way so let’s get dressed and see what happens when we meet on the field...

Good Luck to both teams this week and I just hope the game turns out to be a memorable one

Stats don't always tell the whole story Ohio. When you are looking at stats, you are also looking at who a team has played. Shelby has played a much tougher schedule than Hibriten, and that will show in the stats. It will also show on Friday night.

I haven't seen Shelby play every game but I have seen them some. You are correct in the sense that this Shelby team has some flaws. But don't be deceived. This is still a good Shelby team who has big play ability.

You mention Shelby being 12-2. You realize the two teams that beat Shelby would easily beat Hibriten too, correct? Not to mention that Shelby bounced back when it mattered and redeemed one of those losses in one of the best coached games I've seen from a NC high school football in a while. Also, there are a couple of teams that Shelby beat that would beat Hibriten.

The only way I see Hibriten winning this game is (1) a lot of turnovers by the Lions, (2) a passing attack from Hibriten that we have yet to see, and (3) some significant in-game injuries for the Lions.

I get the devotion to Hibriten by their fans and those who dislike Shelby, but I'm just trying to be honest based on what I've seen.

Stats don't always tell the whole story Ohio. When you are looking at stats, you are also looking at who a team has played. Shelby has played a much tougher schedule than Hibriten, and that will show in the stats. It will also show on Friday night.

I haven't seen Shelby play every game but I have seen them some. You are correct in the sense that this Shelby team has some flaws. But don't be deceived. This is still a good Shelby team who has big play ability.

You mention Shelby being 12-2. You realize the two teams that beat Shelby would easily beat Hibriten too, correct? Not to mention that Shelby bounced back when it mattered and redeemed one of those losses in one of the best coached games I've seen from a NC high school football in a while. Also, there are a couple of teams that Shelby beat that would beat Hibriten.

The only way I see Hibriten winning this game is (1) a lot of turnovers by the Lions, (2) a passing attack from Hibriten that we have yet to see, and (3) some significant in-game injuries for the Lions.

I get the devotion to Hibriten by their fans and those who dislike Shelby, but I'm just trying to be honest based on what I've seen.
The 12-2 part was actually a compliment based on the non-conference schedule they played and also SP.... Also I actually don’t dislike Shelby as I am one of the few if not only fan in Caldwell Co who was upset when the original brackets which had Shelby as the 7 seed was thrown out and redone... I wanted to see the Panthers play one of the states best programs at home... For me I am glad to see that we still have that chance this week. And if Shelby comes here and spanks us Friday night I will congratulate their team and fans just as I did last year with South Point

Reactions: beamer24
Friday they opened the gates at 5:30... Hibriten has done advance tickets before but haven’t heard anything for sure yet about either of these answers for Friday yet.... Will post if I hear anything

Gotta be Hibriten. Even if it’s a run game the best run D can fail against the best run game. Look bigger up front as well.

Even though this is nothing to gage a game on Shelby did only beat Freedom by 1 TD were Hibriten woulda destroyed them but it was the beginning of season. On the same note we did see Shelby beat a team down that shoulda beat Hibriten earlier in season and came very close. Not sure how many players from that Newton team there were that did play Hibriten but could NOT play against Shelby though besides Stinson.

It’ll be who wants it more and causes the most turnovers will win. Should be a very low scoring game. Rest assured Hibriten will pass an be fairly good at it. There’s no way they won’t be prepared to do a few more of those. Lewis will have the boys ready.
Hibriten watched film today on Shelby. When we played Newton we lost 5 fumbles and had a slew of penalities. Thry scored all they got by halftime. The team has matured a lot since then. Pressure Malik and UNC we go.

Hibriten watched film today on Shelby. When we played Newton we lost 5 fumbles and had a slew of penalities. Thry scored all they got by halftime. The team has matured a lot since then. Pressure Malik and UNC we go.
We fumbled the ball 6 times(only lost 2) and had a slew of penalties this game, I’m a Panther fan and we have had those types of mistakes all year so not sure I get the matured a lot statement.

We fumbled the ball 6 times(only lost 2) and had a slew of penalties this game, I’m a Panther fan and we have had those types of mistakes all year so not sure I get the matured a lot statement.
I guess you havent seen the defense. They have matured. Tge start of the year we were giving up lots of passing plays. Not now! The qb has had the most fumble problems with the snap and should clean that up this week.

Freedom led Shelby for 3 quarters. I know this was game one but Shelby is very beatable this year. Freedom defense is nothing in comparison to Hibriten's, and we kept them scoreless for most of the game. Shelby will struggle to move the ball on this Panther defense. I think folks will be surprised at the outcome.

Reactions: BlueRidgeTire
I guess you havent seen the defense. They have matured. Tge start of the year we were giving up lots of passing plays. Not now! The qb has had the most fumble problems with the snap and should clean that up this week.
I have seen the defense and I think they have gotten a lot better since earlier this year... But if the offense doesn’t clean up the fumbles and penalties you can’t put the defense in bad positions against a team like Shelby all night for the team to be successful

Freedom led Shelby for 3 quarters. I know this was game one but Shelby is very beatable this year. Freedom defense is nothing in comparison to Hibriten's, and we kept them scoreless for most of the game. Shelby will struggle to move the ball on this Panther defense. I think folks will be surprised at the outcome.
Yes, that was game 1, and I’m certain South Point’s defense is a lot better than Freedom’s, too, and we scored 33 on them two weeks, 49 vs Newton Conover. Don’t base our offense on game 1, there has obviously been adjustments made and personnel changes. Certainly not the offense of 2015 and ‘16, but not nearly as bad as some make it sound, either.

Yes, that was game 1, and I’m certain South Point’s defense is a lot better than Freedom’s, too, and we scored 33 on them two weeks, 49 vs Newton Conover. Don’t base our offense on game 1, there has obviously been adjustments made and personnel changes. Certainly not the offense of 2015 and ‘16, but not nearly as bad as some make it sound, either.
What was the deal with Mt Pleasant? Were they better than expected on D or did Shelby's O play bad?

Reactions: Berrysauce2
Shelby has a great program and I dont want to act like they are not. They are not loaded with as much talent as normal. It looked like Malik Surratt had a high ankle sprain in the game friday. Our front four will be after him like he stole money from them. Those high ankle sprains take forever to heal and if it slows him at all our defense will eat him alive. Shelby has 4 straight championships and that is awesome but those will not help them to win friday. I am thinking 21-0 Hibriten

What was the deal with Mt Pleasant? Were they better than expected on D or did Shelby's O play bad?
Honestly, in my opinion, I think we were too happy after the South Point game, a little too satisfied, and emotionally drained a little. We took Mt Pleasant lightly, but they were a good, well coached team, they were a determined bunch, you could tell they really wanted us badly.

Shelby offense has been unpredictable most of the season. They looked horrible against Freedom and several others. They have lived off defense most of the season but as of late have improved offensively.
Shelby will be relieved to see midfield Friday night!

Shelby offense has been unpredictable most of the season. They looked horrible against Freedom and several others. They have lived off defense most of the season but as of late has improved offensively.
Shelby will be relieved to see midfield Friday night!
And, if you’re thinking Witherspoon is just going to run wild on us, you must be sniffing. I saw film on him, he doesn’t run much between the tackles. Shelby flies to the ball, defensively. You doubted us vs ACR, too.

Last edited:
And, if you’re thinking Witherspoon is just going to run wiled on us, you must be sniffing. I saw film on him, he doesn’t run much between the tackles. Shelby flies to the ball, defensively. You doubted us vs ACR, too.
Witherspoon runs anywhere he likes.
If Spoon is on, Shelby is Gone!

@patsfball, Witherspoon is no better than Demetrius Mauney of East Rutherford or Brooks, in my opinion. FCS programs are looking at Brooks, he’s a smaller back, that’s the primary reason FBS programs are sleeping on him. Mauney is being highly recruited.

@patsfball Newton Conover showed me nothing, defensively. Why did Hibriten only score 18 on them? And, I heard they used a trick play to beat them. I don’t want to hear anything about fumbles, that’s part of the game, and a fault of their own. I am asking you, because you like to bring up that Freedom score w/ us.

@patsfball Newton Conover showed me nothing, defensively. Why did Hibriten only score 18 on them? And, I heard they used a trick play to beat them. I don’t want to hear anything about fumbles, that’s part of the game, and a fault of their own. I am asking you, because you like to bring up that Freedom score w/ us.
Goodnight. Will resume early am.

Why do you compare scores? What dumb logic. Shelby needed overtime to squeeze by kings mountain who lost last week to JM Robinson, a team Hibriten dismantled 34-7

Don't compare scores, it makes us all look stupid

Why do you compare scores? What dumb logic. Shelby needed overtime to squeeze by kings mountain who lost last week to JM Robinson, a team Hibriten dismantled 34-7

Don't compare scores, it makes us all look stupid
Like I mentioned, he constantly brings us that Freedom score, as if we’re that same offense, or no progression as a team has been made. I asked him, since he obviously likes to compare scores.

Reactions: my_2cents
I am not a Hibriten fan but have seen them three times. I have seen Shelby play on KTC broadcasting a couple of times. Neither team is gonna run roughshod over the others defense. This will be a low scoring game that will probably be decided by a turnover. It's a toss up, a 14-7 type game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT