#8 Shelby (12-2) at #2 Hibriten (14-0)

Who wins?

• Shelby

Votes: 85 63.4%
  • Hibriten

Votes: 49 36.6%

• Total voters
At this moment it's a toss up.

If Hibriten can hold Shelby's passing to a bare minimum, then the Panthers win.

If Shelby shuts down the Panther's run game then the Golden Lions win.

Both teams have solid defensive teams and the winner will be the team that makes the fewest offensive mistakes.

IMO, Hibriten will have the edge only due to their home field advantage, Shelby's advantages are it's tradition and their drive for five inspiration.

My prediction means nothing, but here goes: Shelby 17 Hibriten 14.

If Malik is not 100% the entire game it will be an easy choice. I am a passenger on the Gee Witherspoon train and believe the Panthers win. My truck is gased up ready for a ride to UNC

Gotta be Hibriten. Even if it’s a run game the best run D can fail against the best run game. Look bigger up front as well.

Even though this is nothing to gage a game on Shelby did only beat Freedom by 1 TD were Hibriten woulda destroyed them but it was the beginning of season. On the same note we did see Shelby beat a team down that shoulda beat Hibriten earlier in season and came very close. Not sure how many players from that Newton team there were that did play Hibriten but could NOT play against Shelby though besides Stinson.

It’ll be who wants it more and causes the most turnovers will win. Should be a very low scoring game. Rest assured Hibriten will pass an be fairly good at it. There’s no way they won’t be prepared to do a few more of those. Lewis will have the boys ready.

Shelby can't play bad enough to lose this one. The lopsided bracket had the best three teams on one side. That would be South Point, Shelby, and Mount Pleasant. Same thing happened last year in 3a west. I talked to some coaches this week who suggested we should have some sort of oversight committee comprised of coaches to give it the Snicker test. It still wouldn't be perfect but it would reward the people who work so hard for the right to play on another week

Shelby can't play bad enough to lose this one. The lopsided bracket had the best three teams on one side. That would be South Point, Shelby, and Mount Pleasant. Same thing happened last year in 3a west. I talked to some coaches this week who suggested we should have some sort of oversight committee comprised of coaches to give it the Snicker test. It still wouldn't be perfect but it would reward the people who work so hard for the right to play on another week
Do tell who were the 3 best teams in 3A West last year?
I highly doubt Mt Pleasant is better than Hibriten. I realize it sucked you had to play Shelby in the 2nd rd but good grief you are awful butthurt about it.

Sprawl. Believe that buddy. Gotta play the games in front of you. Maybe was easier for us who knows don’t matter were here just gotta beat Shelby this week

I believe Hibriten is favored in this one. Witherspoon is the man and can make plays when the box is stacked. I sure he’s better than what MP had to offer on the field for the Shelby D. I think folks point toward Shelby based on tradition and records and schedule strength which all of those aspects no question is better than Hibritens but that can’t be helped. People have said over and over and Beamer prob tired of seeing it too lol is Hibriten don’t play anybody, too soft schedule blah blah blah. They’ll show Friday night, soft or not, they’re still high calibure.

Witherspoon is the man and can make plays when the box is stacked.

Witherspoon is good. I don't think anyone who has seen Hibriten play will disagree with that. However, he hasn't faced a defense like Shelby yet. It is one thing to run all over some of the teams Hibriten has played and another to do that against Shelby.

I can't remember, perhaps a Hibriten fan can answer this, but does Witherspoon play both ways? How many of Hibriten's backs play both ways?

Witherspoon is good. I don't think anyone who has seen Hibriten play will disagree with that. However, he hasn't faced a defense like Shelby yet. It is one thing to run all over some of the teams Hibriten has played and another to do that against Shelby.

I can't remember, perhaps a Hibriten fan can answer this, but does Witherspoon play both ways? How many of Hibriten's backs play both ways?
We have several that play both ways 2 linemen and a few backs and receivers rotate in and out. Gee plays corner alot but has some good back ups to give him a breather.

Turnovers, Penalties, and big plays will determine the game. I don't see either offense having alot of success.
Best parking is at Middle school. Get there early or you'll be walking a long ways and you'll be standing on the track.
What time will the gates open? I also hope both schools have pre-sale tickets.

What time will the gates open? I also hope both schools have pre-sale tickets.
Last week it opened at 530 I'm sure it will be simular this week.
Only game around so I'm sure it will be packed. If you park at William Lenoir Middle School it is beside of stadium and easier to park.

Last week it opened at 530 I'm sure it will be simular this week.
Only game around so I'm sure it will be packed. If you park at William Lenoir Middle School it is beside of stadium and easier to park.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: beamer24
Shelby brings a tradition and a host of other things Hibriten hasn't seen this season.

Hibriten brings a Defense that is at the top. well skilled at every defensive position. Home field advantage is worth at least 6 points in this contest, so that favors Hibriten.
Offensively, Hibriten has ran this same offense for many years so it's perfected. Not my favorite ,but it works. Question is how well it will work agsinst Golden Lion D??

For what it's worth... Hibriten 24 Shelby 14

.... I dont see any team having its way with Panther defense, nor do I see any team stopping Witherspoon for 4 quarters. If anyone can, Shelby will!

Reactions: beamer24
Shelby brings a tradition and a host of other things Hibriten hasn't seen this season.

Hibriten brings a Defense that is at the top. well skilled at every defensive position. Home field advantage is worth at least 6 points in this contest, so that favors Hibriten.
Offensively, Hibriten has ran this same offense for many years so it's perfected. Not my favorite ,but it works. Question is how well it will work agsinst Golden Lion D??

Caldwell co has ran the same kinda offense seems like. Could be wrong but it just looks that way. People used to give Carter a hard time for running the ball every play st South lol. Hibriten does same thing but they make it look good.

If I remember correctly, Hibriten was running this same offense in the late 90's, even before Chuck Cannon.

Home field advantage is overrated imo. Big stage and Shelby will pack it out.

Not sure what we ran before Cannon. But Cannon ran a pro style offense his 1st year then we went to the wing-t and have been doing it for close to 20 years.

Home field advantage is never over rated, just sometimes it can be overcame.

I agree with HitmanT on this for the most part. The only real time home field advantage means anything is if you are playing a school that has to travel a long ways or a school whose fans don't travel. That isn't the case here. Shelby fans take their football seriously and they will pack their side plus overflow areas.

So home field advantage will definitely be overcame on Friday if that is how you want to look at it pats.

I know all too well how Shelby travels, one of the best. The fan base is only one segment of this. Knowing the playing field, no play clock on the field, and others will benefit Hibriten. Again, I will say if any team can overcome these things Shelby will

Knowing the playing field, no play clock on the field, and others will benefit Hibriten. Again, I will say if any team can overcome theses things Shelby will

You are working hard to find advantages for Hibriten huh?

Yeah, Shelby is in trouble. That play clock (or lack of) is going to mess with them all night.

Last edited:
He likes to edit his post once he gets accurate info. :)

I had accurate info already. My post obviously wasn't clear enough for you so I edited it.

The point I was making stands though. You are searching hard for those advantages.

But if anyone can overcome them, Shelby can. lol

Hibriten better play great D. Shelby will not give up many points. Probably another low scoring game.

Hibriten defense is really fast. Shelby defense stacks the box played with no safety against south point I think hibriten will have to throw the ball to win this game but if they can find away to get gee in space it may be along night for Shelby. Shelby throws the ball down field alot hibriten secondary better be ready. My prediction is 17-14 hibriten

Reactions: patsfball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT