ADVERTISEMENT

South Point Red Raiders vs Shelby Golden Lions

We both made mistakes. SP lost a fumble, failed to cover an on side kick, put the ball on the ground on 3 pitches, and had numerous penalties that stopped SP drives or extended Shelby drives. We actually have not done too poorly against the Lions in the playoffs. Losses in 87 and 93 and wins in 74 and 79. Shelby is a great team and program. I believe that SP showed themselves to be a better team in 2017.

I'm afraid you're wrong....check your playoff losses again.

2017 isn't over yet.....:rolleyes:

for ya'll it is

You can't win with weak line play, your QB and RB having been carrying the offense all season with no protection. They had to buy time, make their own holes and block for themselves. And looks like SP figured out your defense, so the rest of the opponents will see that film and follow suit. *grabs fork*

72, after double checking, I believe you to be right on the playoff losses. Doubt those 1970's and 80's games will have much impact on this year's playoffs. Wish Shelby much success unless they return to Belmont.

Congrats to South Point. Y'all were the better team tonight. We definitely made some terrible mistakes along the way to aid you but congrats on the win and conference championship.

Y'all have never faired too well when we've met again in the playoffs. Hopefully we will get our chance in a few weeks.

We've never said we win them all....we just win more than anyone else.
72 Thanks for acknowledging we were the better team tonight. Didn't know you had it in you.

Reactions: coondog8585
congrats to South Point on your conference title and undefeated regular season! to beat Shelby like that you guys must truly be a powerhouse!

Reactions: seadog28
No salt here. Any win over the Lions is gratifying and special. I have so much respect for Shelby's players and fans.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
Pretty impressive showing by the Red Raiders. Blocked punt for TD really set the tone. I was extremely impressed by the QB Lee - he made the right read all but maybe 3 times tonight...South Point will be tough for anyone to beat, but hope the Golden Lions get another crack.

Don't understand all this hype for these 2 teams based on them living off the past success of the last few years. The real truth of the matter for THIS YEAR is neither one of these teams are the top team in the west in 2A as the Hibriten Panthers are the new king of that mountain! I have not seen a team that can challenge Hibriten as the Panthers have the advantage on both sides of the ball.
Well if simmons predictions hold true then Hibriten will get the opportunity to prove you right pretty soon. Two weeks soon.

Shelby covered one phase of the option which was the FB and let the QB and HB run free. Defense did a poor job covering the option, but like Bralpa said some of that was great QB play. We shut down SP last year because it was early and we had better personnel at key positions.

Reactions: seadog28
Hibriten? Might finally be something if SP hadn't dropped to 2A and Shelby wasn't still in 2A. We'll see.

Oh yeah, Hancock said on WBT that H-T was going to tow football parkers. Wasn't there an RV/tailgate invite earlier this week at the H-T lot? Was Teeter towing?

Shelby covered one phase of the option which was the FB and let the QB and HB run free. Defense did a poor job covering the option, but like Bralpa said some of that was great QB play. We shut down SP last year because it was early and we had better personnel at key positions.

Bingo!!!

Hibriten? Might finally be something if SP hadn't dropped to 2A and Shelby wasn't still in 2A. We'll see.

Oh yeah, Hancock said on WBT that H-T was going to tow football parkers. Wasn't there an RV/tailgate invite earlier this week at the H-T lot? Was Teeter towing?

Nope, the people at HT were fantastic. The manager made a special appearance to ask if he could do anything for us. I suggest that when you can, shop at Harris Teeter!

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Don't understand all this hype for these 2 teams based on them living off the past success of the last few years. The real truth of the matter for THIS YEAR is neither one of these teams are the top team in the west in 2A as the Hibriten Panthers are the new king of that mountain! I have not seen a team that can challenge Hibriten as the Panthers have the advantage on both sides of the ball.

I just took a marshall and wiped with scot paper!

Congrats to you South Point guys. You guys have a very impressive, fundamentally sound team. You were the better team, and beat us in every phase of the game. I was honored to meet Raidersway, Seadog, and the living legend, Coondog, tonight.

As for Shelby, we had a good run, a historical run that cannot be denied, however, all good things must come to an end, but I will tell you all one thing, our boys will regroup, and go down fighting, they won’t leave quietly.

LA is the man! Great to finally meet you! Tell that boy of yours that he earned our respect tonight. He's a gamer.

Who has Southpoint played that has a winning record? Maybe Crest (They won that one by a TD) - Stuart Cramer (Who threw the ball all over them). Shelby beat Kings Mountain and played a nationally ranked team at their house. Give me a break. This is gonna be a head knocker.

JawJacker, are you still irrelevant? Never mind, I forgot that I forgot you.

Reactions: raidertime
Lots of talent on that Lions team. I promise you that no one in 2AA West is looking forward to them as a 2nd or 3rd round opponent and 2A teams should feel blessed that Shelby slipped into 2AA.

SP did a great job last night of taking advantage of what Shelby gave them on each play. Rushing breakdown was FB Dive 17-112 6.6 ypc, QB 9 - 95 10.6 ypc, WB 11-83 7.5 ypc, WR reverse 3-45 15 ypc. When that option is spreading it around, it is tough to defend.

In the Film I saw, that visitors side wasnt as packed as you would imagine. Still a great crowd either way. Cant see the home side but Im sure it was packed out.

Good luck to both sides moving forward.

Know for a fact Coach Ware put in for the TL Hanna job last year. Northwestern has already contacted Coach Ware. He is leaving. Much more money SC 100k a year. He is gone

Reactions: Crestuff
Just out of curiosity, any guesstimations on last night’s attendance?

I am thinking in the 6,000+ range. It was a huge crowd but nowhere near the record crowds of years ago. Back then there were bleachers in the far end zone and it was fenced all around. People stood several deep at the fence all the way around and filled up all the seats. Plus, I am not sure the visitor's side bleachers hold as many as the old concrete grandstand did. Still a great crowd though to see a game to between two awesome teams.

I am thinking in the 6,000+ range. It was a huge crowd but nowhere near the record crowds of years ago. Back then there were bleachers in the far end zone and it was fenced all around. People stood several deep at the fence all the way around and filled up all the seats. Plus, I am not sure the visitor's side bleachers hold as many as the old concrete grandstand did. Still a great crowd though to see a game to between two awesome teams.

Best Shelby team in history, in my opinion. They would have beaten South Point regardless of the time. I never understood the notion, “you caught us early”, when both teams had the same amount of games and preparation time. No one mentioned timing when we lost to them in ‘13 and ‘14 early in those seasons.

In addition to having the best receiver in the history of Shelby High Football, depth, and athletes galore, the team also featured a big, hellacious D line. Ask the great Dax if he misses that D Line, every great linebacker benefits from a great D Line. Also, we had two offensive linemen that are now playing on Saturdays, D1 football(Gardner Webb and App State) a third lineman who plays D2. That team brought the physicality just as South Point did this season. We got our asses whipped last night, but don’t let the emotions from it make you discredit that historical 2016 Shelby team in any fashion.

Last edited:
Congratulations to South Point.It must feel awfully good to be a Red Raider, this morning. Best of luck in the playoffs.

Reactions: sasha_nc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT