ADVERTISEMENT

South Point Red Raiders vs Shelby Golden Lions

I have heard the same thing recently. He would have left coming into season, if given the job at TL Hanna. The South Pointe game this season was a planned resume builder. I also heard the OC and DC are going with him. Things will be very interesting in the off season. Can’t knock a man for bettering his livelihood, great guy, too.
Best Shelby team in history, in my opinion. They would have beaten South Point regardless of the time. I never understood the notion, “you caught us early”, when both teams had the same amount of games and preparation time. No one mentioned timing when we lost to them in ‘13 and ‘14.

In addition to having the best receiver in the history Shelby High Football, depth, and athletes galore, the team also featured a big, hellacious D line. Ask the great Dax if he misses that D Line, every great linebacker benefits from a great D Line. That team brought the physicality just as South Point did this season. We got our asses whipped last night, but don’t let the emotions from it make you discredit that historical 2016 Shelby team in any fashion.
I was just stating the obvious. South Point's offense is always better at the end of the season just like Shelby used to be when they ran the wishbone. Would we have beaten them at the end of the season? I would like to think so, but I'm sure they feel like they would have beaten us too. We will never know. I also said our personnel was better in some key positions ( Carson, OJ Ross, McGill etc...)I guess I should have clarified by name for you who they were. I'm not sure how I discredited the 2016 team??? You might want to check your on emotions.

I was just stating the obvious. South Point's offense is always better at the end of the season just like Shelby used to be when they ran the wishbone. Would we have beaten them at the end of the season? I would like to think so, but I'm sure they feel like they would have beaten us too. We will never know. I also said our personnel was better in some key positions ( Carson, OJ Ross, McGill etc...)I guess I should have clarified by name for you who they were. I'm not sure how I discredited the 2016 team??? You might want to check your on emotions.
*Own* No clarification was needed, I knew what you were alluding to, and you’re right, I didn’t like, “we caught them early”, because that was the lame excuse their posters used all last season.

Last edited:
*Own* No clarification needed, I knew what you were alluding to, and you’re right, I didn’t like, “we caught them early”, because that was the lame excuse their posters used all last season.
I do believe that the lions caught us early but I don't think that it would translate into a late season win for SP. The offense never reached the level they are at right now. The defense was better last year at the end of the season although this D continues to improve and aren't far behind. I believe it would have been similar to the 4th round at Crest in 2013 with the lions taking a narrow edge. Maybe very narrow. With that said about the D if big Phillip was out there I'm convinced this D would surpass last years when all is said and done.

*Own* No clarification was needed, I knew what you were alluding to, and you’re right, I didn’t like, “we caught them early”, because that was the lame excuse their posters used all last season.
I get that. However, as good as 2016 was this is 2017, and we have some issues that need to be fixed if this team is to make a run. I'm hoping for a little 2013 magic.

Reactions: Lion Attack
We are still confident. Learn from your mistakes. Can't be down 14 points when the opposing team's offense has only run 2 plays. That changed our game plan. Imagine having only been down 7-3 at halftime then only down 14-3 early in the third. We came out flat and it showed. But "if ifs and buts were....." We still had chances but blew them. That South Point Offense is a well oiled machine and so much fun to watch. Gonna take a lot but our boy's can do it. A lot harder to beat the same team twice. DaDa put the team on his back and played his heart out.....pretty sure he broke the all time points record at Shelby last night. A record that has been in existence for 47 years. We want another chance....can't believe I'm saying this but more so than playing Reidsville.

There have been 4 years that we have met twice in the season....
'72
'74
'87
'93

Shelby has claimed victory in every playoff game. In '74 and '93 South Point won the regular season matchup and Shelby won the playoff matchups. Could it be the same this year? I hope we both get the chance!

I would love to see a deep post route by 5 if these teams play again. Shelby definitely respected Grier and kept deep help on his side but it's so much easier to defend strait down the sidelines. They completely abandoned the middle of the field and I feel like that area could be devastating if exploited.

72 State Champion! Looks like you guys took an Old Fashioned ass whipping. I thought i would come down here and give you my condolences. Seems like ya"ll will have your hands full for a while. Hopefully this will keep you nuts off the 4A board......:)

Reactions: beamer24
72 State Champion! Looks like you guys took an Old Fashioned ass whipping. I thought i would come down here and give you my condolences. Seems like ya"ll will have your hands full for a while. Hopefully this will keep you nuts off the 4A board......:)

Yes work, we did. We never said we win them all....we just win more than anyone else.

Reactions: RadioCheck
We are still confident. Learn from your mistakes. Can't be down 14 points when the opposing team's offense has only run 2 plays. That changed our game plan. Imagine having only been down 7-3 at halftime then only down 14-3 early in the third. We came out flat and it showed. But "if ifs and buts were....." We still had chances but blew them. That South Point Offense is a well oiled machine and so much fun to watch. Gonna take a lot but our boy's can do it. A lot harder to beat the same team twice. DaDa put the team on his back and played his heart out.....pretty sure he broke the all time points record at Shelby last night. A record that has been in existence for 47 years. We want another chance....can't believe I'm saying this but more so than playing Reidsville.

'72
'74
'87
'93

Shelby has claimed victory in every playoff game. In '74 and '93 South Point won the regular season matchup and Shelby won the playoff matchups. Could it be the same this year? I hope we both get the chance!

Nice stats and numbers don't lie, but that was then this is now. None of the players in the game last night played in any of those games. Fan fodder.

With the new brackets out am I reading Thais right that Shelby / south point play in the 2 round?

'72
'74
'87
'93

Shelby had their opportunities to get more than they got but South Point also could have made it embarrassing if they had not mishandled a couple pitches that stopped drives where SP were on the verge of scoring a couple times. We also got Grier behind the Shelby secondary on two occasions but just over threw him. Both teams left scoring opportunities on the table. I am confident the experienced Raider coaching staff will have learned enough to create the same outcome in a couple weeks.

Best Shelby team in history, in my opinion. They would have beaten South Point regardless of the time. I never understood the notion, “you caught us early”, when both teams had the same amount of games and preparation time. No one mentioned timing when we lost to them in ‘13 and ‘14 early in those seasons.

In addition to having the best receiver in the history of Shelby High Football, depth, and athletes galore, the team also featured a big, hellacious D line. Ask the great Dax if he misses that D Line, every great linebacker benefits from a great D Line. Also, we had two offensive linemen that are now playing on Saturdays, D1 football(Gardner Webb and App State) a third lineman who plays D2. That team brought the physicality just as South Point did this season. We got our asses whipped last night, but don’t let the emotions from it make you discredit that historical 2016 Shelby team in any fashion.
I don’t think SP is excited with the chances of playing the Lions in the 2nd round they can say what they want on here

Reactions: 72 State Champion
Well it looks like we will get to find out;) and this time I feel like their will be a lot more people their. I know I will have my butt sitting their this time:)

The first thing I would do is forget this game it didn't happen. SP hasn't beat anyone yet. Take on the mind set that Shelby is coming to kick our arse and we've never beat them in the playoffs. They are 4-time defending champions in a row. They haven't lost in almost five years when it matters. We are the underdogs.

Reactions: sasha_nc
I respectfully disagree SuckerPunch. It's SwagTime!! SP rolled Shelby. Forget that meekness approach!!. Have confidence that it wasn't an anomaly, but a better team that won last night!! As long as the approach and work ethic remains and everyone stays healthy, I would be super confident in SP. They have proved that defense wins championships.

I respectfully disagree SuckerPunch. It's SwagTime!! SP rolled Shelby. Forget that meekness approach!!. Have confidence that it wasn't an anomaly, but a better team that won last night!! As long as the approach and work ethic remains and everyone stays healthy, I would be super confident in SP. They have proved that defense wins championships.
It has nothing to due with confidence. They've had that all year it has to do with the mind set that your best wins and nothing else. They can swag the evening of the 9th. I've seen them with their swag in 99,00,07,08,11. They need to be thinking 20 points ain't good enough.

'72
'74
'87
'93

72 is hoping that some wins from 20-40 years ago will inspire the Lions to victory. I can't even start to tell you how laughable that is. The only important history is about 24+ hour old. Lions will come to play, but I am excited for the opportunity to get them out of the way in the 2nd round. SP played a very mediocre game on Friday night. Expect them to bring "A" game next time.

72 is hoping that some wins from 20-40 years ago will inspire the Lions to victory. I can't even start to tell you how laughable that is. The only important history is about 24+ hour old. Lions will come to play, but I am excited for the opportunity to get them out of the way in the 2nd round. SP played a very mediocre game on Friday night. Expect them to bring "A" game next time.
And, don’t think that was our A game. I saw a Shelby team that was not prepared, maybe too confident, and we tried to run some cute little defense that we hadn’t run all year, should have stuck to our base defense, and lived with whatever results from it. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

Our boys were humbled. I love the emotion I saw from them on Facebook after the game. They will be ready, and ready to give you guys all they got. I hope the Raiders don’t come in too confident, or it’s lights out on a great season. Y’all were clearly the better team, but 35-15 better? Heck no, not in my opinion. Count on a tightly contested ballgame in two weeks, however, we must handle business versus a good Newton team first and foremost.

Who has Southpoint played that has a winning record? Maybe Crest (They won that one by a TD) - Stuart Cramer (Who threw the ball all over them). Shelby beat Kings Mountain and played a nationally ranked team at their house. Give me a break. This is gonna be a head knocker.

FV 26 SC 16 !!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT