ADVERTISEMENT

South Columbus vs Lincolnton at Vinegar Hill

WINGT Tradition

Sep 4, 2014
South Columbus came away with a 14-0 win against a good defensive Wheatmore team. Don’t know much about Lincolnton. Wishing for safe travels and a good game. What kind of offense does Lincolnton run?

Reactions: dirty stallion
Don't know much about Lincolntons team this year but do know they have a great football heritage....when the Stallions lost to them in 07 they exhibited one of the most well coached and classiest teams I have ever seen.....Classy team and classy fans....

Safe travels my Lincolnton friends...

Lincolnton is one of two cities (Tarboro is the other) in this state I honestly hate to drive through based only on the memories associated with it.

Don’t know much about them but hoping for a Stallion win. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is more than likely the last game at Civitan Stadium for the season.

Lincolnton is one of two cities (Tarboro is the other) in this state I honestly hate to drive through based only on the memories associated with it.

Don’t know much about them but hoping for a Stallion win. Correct me if I’m wrong but this is more than likely the last game at Civitan Stadium for the season.
That should be right

We run a few different things. Some shotgun spread, some I-Form and sometimes even a tight formation with 3 backs similar to what Tarboro ran when I saw them last. We do have a 2,000 yard rusher this year that can flat out fly. Far from a potent offense, though. I'd say you guys will be pretty big favorites in this one. Got a lot of respect for the South Columbus program.

Reactions: TheDispatcher
We run a few different things. Some shotgun spread, some I-Form and sometimes even a tight formation with 3 backs similar to what Tarboro ran when I saw them last. We do have a 2,000 yard rusher this year that can flat out fly. Far from a potent offense, though. I'd say you guys will be pretty big favorites in this one. Got a lot of respect for the South Columbus program.
A 2000 yard rusher is serious! Wing T this way. Not a lot of passing but hoping we put some of that in the mix especially with the QB we have.

Lincolnton lost a lot of senior starters coming into this year including the state record breaking receiver Sage Surratt. They also lost QB Cordell Littlejohn who threw 50 TD passes in 2016 as he moved to Georgia to play his senior season. To make it worse last year's backup QB (a soph this year) decided not to play football, instead concentrating on basketball.

As a result Lincolnton was left with no experience at QB and started slowly....so slowly that most fans wondered if they would even make the playoffs. However, they won 5 out of the last 6 and have shown a lot of improvement since early in the year, on offense and defense. Tyshawn Harris, their 2000 yard rusher, is not a big guy but has a lot of quickness and speed....a threat every time he touches the ball.

From the statistics I see for South Columbus it's obvious they are a running team. I would expect they are pretty physical. Is that the case and how much team speed do they have?

Reactions: WINGT Tradition
From the statistics I see for South Columbus it's obvious they are a running team. I would expect they are pretty physical. Is that the case and how much team speed do they have?
Yep. You guessed it. Ground and pound. 3 good backs with a QB that’s just as good along with a couple back up backs that get it done also. Very strong and physical on offense and defense. QB is also the LB if that tells you anything, he’s a handful. A FB that is an absolute load and one back that is very fast and elusive. SC pretty much pounds until you get tired. Don’t get me wrong SC will not underestimate Lincolnton at all. Had a lot of really useless penalties in the last game against Wheatmore. Gotta get that taken care of.

Based on the above, my advice to Lincolnton Wolves: prep as though you were playing South Point again. I know the game earlier this year against us did not go well for L-town, but I don't know that South Columbus will show you anything you haven't seen before. Of course, preparation is only part of it. If your defense can execute against that offense, then the Wolves could steal one in xMount Taborx. Good Luck!!!

Edit: Sorry, meant Tabor City

Last edited:
LOL, Sasha, I know how important words are to you so I'm hoping it wouldn't make you mad if I told you it is Tabor City. I've never been there but a lot of people in this area pass by it going to coastal locations.
They're an old tradition going back to the time when they were the Tabor City Red Devils. Hard nosed eastern North Carolina football.

Give y’all some tips if you come early on where to eat. All in Tabor City..Dales Seafood, Adams Seafood, Cubs Subs. All on the main hwy of 701 in Tabor.

LOL, Sasha, I know how important words are to you so I'm hoping it wouldn't make you mad if I told you it is Tabor City. I've never been there but a lot of people in this area pass by it going to coastal locations.
They're an old tradition going back to the time when they were the Tabor City Red Devils. Hard nosed eastern North Carolina football.

Brain fart. Getting old. Was thinking Tabor City but also had the Ashbrook/Mount Tabor game on my mind as well. I think the hubby and I went through Tabor City or close by on one of trips to Ocean Isle.

South Columbus has me a little concerned on the offensive end. Just don't seem to be clicking on all cylinders, maybe 4 out of 6. Would love to see a few more pass attempts but hey, the coaches are there every day and know what works best for this team. Seniors really need to step up this week with leadership, they were juniors last year and went to the Eastern finals, experience should settle the nerves and help remember how important a good week of practice is. Coaches and players have done a great job so far this year, it's time to start peaking!

Icardcav3, I keep getting different information about the Littlejohn brothers. If they are back and if it's not contrary to any rule concerning athletics, our AD would have to make a decision on whether they could play.
We've had many fine athletes who were from the Littlejohn family.

Reactions: CHEERDUCK
Chipshot1, thank you for the kind comments about the Wolves and Lincolnton fans. I know people here feel the same way about the Stallions and their fans.

Last edited:
South Columbus has me a little concerned on the offensive end. Just don't seem to be clicking on all cylinders, maybe 4 out of 6. Would love to see a few more pass attempts but hey, the coaches are there every day and know what works best for this team. Seniors really need to step up this week with leadership, they were juniors last year and went to the Eastern finals, experience should settle the nerves and help remember how important a good week of practice is. Coaches and players have done a great job so far this year, it's time to start peaking!
Although I think Whiteville was the better team this year, I think if South had came out and give us a heavy dose of Buffkin earlier in the game it would have been much closer. The more defensive players in the box would open up the option and passing game. Got to eliminate dumb penalties Good luck Stallions.

If our defense can hold up I like our chances to possibly steal one. Our strength of schedule will benefit us I believe and Tyshawn is running the ball pretty dang good. I hate that I won't be able to make the trip down to Tabor City for this one but I expect it to be a good football game.

Lincolnton lost a lot of senior starters coming into this year including the state record breaking receiver Sage Surratt. They also lost QB Cordell Littlejohn who threw 50 TD passes in 2016 as he moved to Georgia to play his senior season. To make it worse last year's backup QB (a soph this year) decided not to play football, instead concentrating on basketball.

As a result Lincolnton was left with no experience at QB and started slowly....so slowly that most fans wondered if they would even make the playoffs. However, they won 5 out of the last 6 and have shown a lot of improvement since early in the year, on offense and defense. Tyshawn Harris, their 2000 yard rusher, is not a big guy but has a lot of quickness and speed....a threat every time he touches the ball.
That sucks

Icardcav3, I keep getting different information about the Littlejohn brothers. If they are back and if it's not contrary to any rule concerning athletics, our AD would have to make a decision on whether they could play.
We've had many fine athletes who were from the Littlejohn family.
I understand that the AD made the decision not let them play prior to the Maiden game. So they are not playing in the playoffs. They will both be playing basketball at Lincolnton.

Reactions: sasha_nc
I wouldn't let them play either. Can't leave and then come back at playoff time like nothing happened. Not fair to the kids who stuck it out but they will be great for our basketball team. Anyways, who are some of South's key players? What kind of defense do you guys run? Strengths and weaknesses?

Reactions: sasha_nc and Core31
This is the slowest team we have put on the field in years. Got a couple of decent running backs nothing special. If Ltown comes to play it will be a long night for the stallions. I love them as much as anyone does but I’m very honest.

Reactions: Core31
We have a couple of backs that has some burners .... but we’re mostly a big strong team with not much speed ... which imo doesn’t allow you to open up the play book much...

Core, how are you guys on defense? We are run heavy but have two pretty fast receivers that can burn you but our QB isn't really a thrower. Key players for us will be Tyshawn Harris (RB) Terrell McClain (QB/LB) Tyreke Hollis (WR/DB) and Skylar Evans (WR/DB)

Defensive line is pretty stout along with a good DE and some monster lineman. Three LBs that are good. LB/QB 603 220 Spencer(freak athlete), MLB/FB 511 245 Buffkin(he
Is a load), LB/RB 602 220 Stephens(very strong) Safety/RB Bellamy is fast and elusive, Very good athlete.

We struggle with the pass on D but we are a good run D team. It just depends on what kind of adjustments we make throughout the week.

Also our QB has a cannon of an arm but we just aren’t a passing team. Our
Offense is built around the run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Core31
Going to be a good game either way. I think it will be a hard hitting game and come down to a final drive. Either way, we coming to play. South is standing in our way of a very wanted return trip to Reidsville.

A lot people are probably not gonna like me saying this but we flat out don’t have anyone that consistently catch the football .... QB is definitely not the problem has one of the better arms we’ve had at South in a while but that’s no good if he doesn’t have anyone to go up and get the football ....

Defense is solid .... not one of the best tackling teams we’ve had but does enough to win football games

Last edited:
A lot people are probably not gonna like me saying this but we flat out don’t have anyone that consistently catch the football .... QB is definitely not the problem has one of the better arms we’ve had at South in a while but that’s no good if he doesn’t have anyone to go up and get the football ....

Defense is solid .... not one of the best tackling teams we’ve had but do enough to win football games
Oh I completely agree. If we had two threats at WR our offense would be completely different. When I say threat I mean a big time threat...not
Just a catch and tackle. We have some kids who can catch ok just
Not that dominant WR we need.

Reactions: SCSTALLION06
Going to be a good game either way. I think it will be a hard hitting game and come down to a final drive. Either way, we coming to play. South is standing in our way of a very wanted return trip to Reidsville.
Did y’all play Reidsville during regular season? Reading the posts about them on other blogs it sounds like they are ready for the NFL.

Not your usual Lincolnton team this season. Not even a shadow of what they normally are.I'd like to seem them get a W here.

Not your usual Lincolnton team this season. Not even a shadow of what they normally are.I'd like to seem them get a W here.
I agree. Lincolnton has a chance to pull the upset against South Columbus if they play well and don't turn the ball over. If that happens I will be happy. However, we don't have the type of team this year that could pull an upset against a team like Reidsville.

We lost to them last year in 4th Round. We let the game slip away. We are coming to redeem ourselves if we get there ;)
No dog here and last year y'all beat Eastern Randolph like a drum in 2nd round but...

You guys had a high scoring fine team last year but looking at Maxpreps box score Reidsville did a good job containing Lincolnton.

Not pulling for anybody and think you may get a chance for that redemption.

Oh and also wanted to comment that Lincolnton posters are almost always thoughtful and respectful.

It is a refreshing change from some of what is written on this board.

I agree. Lincolnton has a chance to pull the upset against South Columbus if they play well and don't turn the ball over. If that happens I will be happy. However, we don't have the type of team this year that could pull an upset against a team like Reidsville.
I beg to differ. After seeing them on tape, the 50-60 point shclackings that they have been putting on have been on 20-30 yard ... control the field, control the clock, and we have a ball game. They are good, but we will not back down from a chance to redeem ourselves. Not looking past South Columbus tho. Good ball team. Move the ball well. Looking forward to the challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT