ADVERTISEMENT

Pisgah vs Asheville

Since you want to talk about the past let's go back to the sixties and seventies.Bears won four state championships .How many did the Mounties win?

'66 & '71 were not a true state championship. NCHSAA didn't start awarding state champions in 2A and 3A until 1972.
So those two are regional championships. Those '75 & '76 Pisgah teams were like the Nebraska Cornhuskers of the 80's. They steamrolled everyone although the '75 game was only 14-6.

As for the ADM numbers now, 49 students separate the two schools although only 13 separate Tuscola from 2A numbers. The worst thing that happened was the NCHSAA changed the percentage from 4 classes / 25% to a 20-30-30-20 % class ratio. Tuscola just got caught up in the numbers although it wasn't that long ago that Pisgah briefly surpassed Tuscola in enrollment. Enrollment and ADM is not the same thing.

Actually this years enrollment.. Tuscola 1054.. Pisgah 1052.. And I love how you skipped 2 decades with your conferences.. Saying how yal played the same schedule as we did. And as for the middle school conference I was referring to i wasn't talking about 09 till now. I'm talking about those soft years yal played teams like Avery.. Mitchell.. Mt. Heritage and when yal really felt like playing someone tough in your conference you played Madison.
Like I said we never set the conference the state did Avery Mitchell and MH were in our conference.Do you think Erwin thinks MH is easy.We played Madison last year and this year.Three years ago Madison beat Shelby and are currently 2-1The mounties are playing Swain ,McDowell and Patton .Swain the best of the bunch and they are 1A
As for the numbers got mine from the NCHSAA.https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/17-21RealignmentClassifications_11-13-15.pdf
They use last years numbers not this years.Since it takes a year to set the conferences.

Like I said we never set the conference the state did Avery Mitchell and MH were in our conference.Do you think Erwin thinks MH is easy.We played Madison last year and this year.Three years ago Madison beat Shelby and are currently 2-1The mounties are playing Swain ,McDowell and Patton .Swain the best of the bunch and they are 1A
As for the numbers got mine from the NCHSAA.https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/17-21RealignmentClassifications_11-13-15.pdf
They use last years numbers not this years.Since it takes a year to set the conferences.
Haha don't act like the MH and Madiaon of back then is the same now. Besides..I don't care what Erwin thinks of MH anyway..cause we beat Erwin pretty good ourselves also in the scrimmage. Don't act like North Buncombe.. Enka.. and the worst Aville team in 30 years justifies anything yal have done. We haven't played world beaters by any means either but Owen beat Enka, Patton would hang 50 on NB.. And Enka.. and McDowell will beat both Enka and NB if they just show up on time. But yeah as far as the #'s and realignment goes.. looks like we drew the short straw.. Again.

Madison was crap except for that one magical season when Shelby was a little down, then they quickly went back to crap. Erwin has historically beaten the brakes off of MH, although MH plays them tough for the first half, normally. The numbers game catches up to MH. Erwin may not be as good as everyone first thought this year, that or they were seriously looking too far ahead, which can happen.

The Swain-Tuscola series has been close the past three years with the total point differential being 9 points over the 3 games. The series is being renewed as one of the non-conference games starting next season, Smoky and Pisgah the two remaining n/c games.

Swain game is a huge money game for both schools. Same type of athletes at both schools as well. Been a GREAT game all three years. I hope this series continues forever.

Haha don't act like the MH and Madiaon of back then is the same now. Besides..I don't care what Erwin thinks of MH anyway..cause we beat Erwin pretty good ourselves also in the scrimmage. Don't act like North Buncombe.. Enka.. and the worst Aville team in 30 years justifies anything yal have done. We haven't played world beaters by any means either but Owen beat Enka, Patton would hang 50 on NB.. And Enka.. and McDowell will beat both Enka and NB if they just show up on time. But yeah as far as the #'s and realignment goes.. looks like we drew the short straw.. Again.

What scrimmage was that? Not the one I went too. Besides, who cares about a damn scrimmage anyways.

What scrimmage was that? Not the one I went too. Besides, who cares about a damn scrimmage anyways.
I seem to recall every Erwin fan east of the Mississippi out in full force screaming from the mountain tops how they gave "nationally ranked Byrnes all they wanted" and how nobody in wnc was going to touch them. As a matter of fact, all of us were saying "who gives a damn about a scrimmage?"

I seem to recall every Erwin fan east of the Mississippi out in full force screaming from the mountain tops how they gave "nationally ranked Byrnes all they wanted" and how nobody in wnc was going to touch them. As a matter of fact, all of us were saying "who gives a damn about a scrimmage?"

Nobody in wnc did touch them that season until the last game when their players got arrested over something really stupid..;)

'66 & '71 were not a true state championship. NCHSAA didn't start awarding state champions in 2A and 3A until 1972.
So those two are regional championships. Those '75 & '76 Pisgah teams were like the Nebraska Cornhuskers of the 80's. They steamrolled everyone although the '75 game was only 14-6.

As for the ADM numbers now, 49 students separate the two schools although only 13 separate Tuscola from 2A numbers. The worst thing that happened was the NCHSAA changed the percentage from 4 classes / 25% to a 20-30-30-20 % class ratio. Tuscola just got caught up in the numbers although it wasn't that long ago that Pisgah briefly surpassed Tuscola in enrollment. Enrollment and ADM is not the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Just like this year the NCHSAA set the rules in 66 and 71.I always thought the 71 team was better than the 75 and 76 team.They averaged over 45 points a game and their opponents less than 7.Would have loved to see that team play the Eastern champion Havelock who was also undefeated.But we had to wait til 75 to see that happen.
The state changed that rule in 72 and Tuscola still tied and was declared co-champions.The next year the same thing happened in the state finals and those two teams were declared co- champions.I believe that was when they started going to overtime from the ten in the state championship game only.But if a team was tied in the playoff game the team with the most yardage advanced.I am sure if your old as me you remember that rule in 74.

I remember that game quite fondly

Unfortunately I do too. That was the biggest letdown as a fan that I can remember till the Heritage game this season. That team destroyed everyone and then completely self destructed the last week of the season.

Unfortunately I do too. That was the biggest letdown as a fan that I can remember till the Heritage game this season. That team destroyed everyone and then completely self destructed the last week of the season.
2 weeks *

Apparently u care, and I'm talking about the scrimmage where in the hour long game situation where Tuscola won 28-10. Erwin only scored twice the whole night on the 1st defense, including the 10 play segments. That's besides the point I was trying to make. Anyway even I'd rather Erwin do well this year in the MAC, Erwin always plays hard. Best of luck to yal

Apparently u care, and I'm talking about the scrimmage where in the hour long game situation where Tuscola won 28-10. Erwin only scored twice the whole night on the 1st defense, including the 10 play segments. That's besides the point I was trying to make. Anyway even I'd rather Erwin do well this year in the MAC, Erwin always plays hard. Best of luck to yal

We scored 4 times on that same D at the beginning of the scrimmage. Like you said, I really have no problem with Tuscola and wish them well. I just find it funny that they were bragging about a scrimmage against us. Good luck this season. Maybe you guys will get Erwin in a playoff game I hope...

What is this I'm hearing about Pisgah running the sleeper, and I ain't talking about Johnny Weaver, (RIP).

Pisgah ran a trick play where they acted like they were subbing players in and out.. Broke the huddle with 10.. The kid acts like he's coming out but stops right before the sideline and stays in play. On the snap he runs deep wide open. Cheap stuff

Pisgah ran a trick play where they acted like they were subbing players in and out.. Broke the huddle with 10.. The kid acts like he's coming out but stops right before the sideline and stays in play. On the snap he runs deep wide open. Cheap stuff
Did you think it was cheap stuff when St Stevens use it last year to beat us.?

No flag I take it? Not supposed to use subs to deceive I believe. Big stink got raised when Asheville used it to win their last state championship as I recall.

Water under the bridge now fellas. Asheville lost again. They got bigger problems than one play.

Maybe we could re create your love for the Quarterback Sneak!! Maybe we could get stuffed on a 3rd and goal and then again on 4th down and goal, resulting in a loss!!
You're so clever I-40, i mean considering we walked in from the 5 in the 1st Quarter on that play who can blame the call? haha it's comments like that which lead me to believe you were quite the baller in your day..

You're so clever I-40, i mean considering we walked in from the 5 in the 1st Quarter on that play who can blame the call? haha it's comments like that which lead me to believe you were quite the baller in your day..
I would rather be offensively Creative and walk away with a W than Non Creative and walk away with a L. That is the results of Cheap stuff as you say! If its legal is useable. I am now walking away from you Cheap Talk.

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Well the sleeper play isn't legal so I guess it's ok to be really cheap. Ethics doesn't seem to be Chappell's forte'.

I would rather be offensively Creative and walk away with a W than Non Creative and walk away with a L. That is the results of Cheap stuff as you say! If its legal is useable. I am now walking away from you Cheap Talk.
https://www.nchsaa.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2016-17Football.pdf
Page 16 of the Rule Book says it's illegal I-40. Time to put ur fat foot in your big mouth. So much for you guys being "offensively creative".. More like just offensive.

Obviously it's not a penalty. Because I've seen it ran at least 10 times and never was a flag thrown.

Wasn't aware "whipping" consisted of winning by a yard in over time haha.. if anything Chappell should have bought lunch for a week for your kicker for even making it possible to get to over time.

10 damn times!? That's 50 officials seeing the same type play and not one of them threw a flag. What's it say about the Mounties that they couldn't get a yard in OT to win the game. Y'all said it yourselves that they ran the same play and walked into the end zone from 5 yards out. Did they not want to win? Did they just give up?

1st of all quit with the over exaggerating.. U haven't seen it ran 10 times, maybe a handful let's be realistic. And I love how pisgah fans can read something that proves beyond a showdow of a doubt the play was illegal.. and try to bs the conversation to justify it haha. U sir are something else

And nope the difference was yal had a head up nose on that last play and the other times you didn't. Don't bring effort into it.. Like as if you guys played harder. It was an overtime game.. Both teams played hard

1st of all quit with the over exaggerating.. U haven't seen it ran 10 times, maybe a handful let's be realistic. And I love how pisgah fans can read something that proves beyond a showdow of a doubt the play was illegal.. and try to bs the conversation to justify it haha. U sir are something else
It's not illegal unless the ref says so.St Stevens scored on that same play last year against us .Asheville beat Concord Spiders with that play.Enka beat us years ago on that same play.
I will say this I thought the refs did a lousy job all night .Some questionable calls on both teams.Thinks they wanted to make sure they got on TV.
Looks like you Mountie fan are already getting worried about my Bears since you seems to want to talk about them so much.
I am glad you learned at least one thing.When the numbers for realignment are set.

Reactions: I-40 traveler
So if a cop watches you selling illegal drugs but doesn't do anything it's not against the law? haha nice logic buddy

Last edited:
I talked to a ref tonight about the play. He said he watched it on TV. He said the play was not illegal. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. End of discussion.

If the effort was there. They wouldn't have lost.

It's not illegal unless the ref says so.St Stevens scored on that same play last year against us .Asheville beat Concord Spiders with that play.Enka beat us years ago on that same play.
I will say this I thought the refs did a lousy job all night .Some questionable calls on both teams.Thinks they wanted to make sure they got on TV.
Looks like you Mountie fan are already getting worried about my Bears since you seems to want to talk about them so much.
I am glad you learned at least one thing.When the numbers for realignment are set.
We ran it to win a state championship vs western alermance in 2005.Not concord. We blew a 20-0 point lead with 5mins left against concord in 2004.

Actually the play is illegal now. Several coaches from Asheville said that at the state coaches clinic in July that Dreibus, the head of officials, specifically said that the sleeper play can no longer be ran.

Reactions: sting splash
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT