ADVERTISEMENT

First round of the playoffs

If you are asking about the opening round, I have two games that could be potential upsets.

I agree on the GC/St Pauls game. I could see St Pauls bouncing back after a couple of losses to end the season. GC is coming off a bye week so you never know.

I also would pay close attention to the East Carteret/Midway game. EC is the only 2A team in their league and I am not sold on their competition. Midway has played better teams as a whole and I would put EC as big underdogs against either Clinton or St Pauls.

I already know what goob going to say I think everyone do
Well if we’re being serious I like the chances of Roanoke Rapids advancing with a win on the road over S Granville. I’m not trying to get any posters worked up but I’m hoping the dogs win easily and are at full strength heading into week two. They have about a big o a chance of losing to Kinston as we do losing to Farmville Central and everyone knows that if we’re being serious

My First round predictions for the West:
**Based off a personal formula that takes into account your success, scoring, and strength of schedule
**I have an 8 point "allowable error" built in...so any game could have 8 points swing in any direction (for example; Walkertown could score 4 less and Mt Pleasant could score 4 more and the score be 30-28 instead of 34-24)
**I had 2 ties in my predictions: Randleman/Lincolnton and Hendo/West Lincoln - I gave the win to both home teams in this bracket...though I believe both CVAC teams will win
**I will do the Eastern Side of the Bracket at a latter time

1 - Reidsville1 - Reidsville 46-0
32 - Madison
16 - McMichael17 - Providence Grove 37-12
17 - Providence Grove
8 - Chase8 - Chase 50-18
25 - North Wilkes
9 - Robinson9 - Robinson 42-16
24 - Wilkes Central
5 - Maiden5 - Maiden 41-21
28 - Polk County
12 - Walkertown12 - Walkertown 34-24
21 - Mount Pleasant
13 - Bunker Hill13 - Bunker Hill 27-18
20 - East Davidson
4 - CS of Davidson4 - CS of Davidson 25-18
29 - East Gaston
3 - Burns3 - Burns 60-0
30 - Morehead
14 - Forest Hills14 - Forest Hills 20-17
19 - Shelby
6 - Salisbury6 - Salisbury 44-15
27 - Brevard
11 - Pine Lake Prep11 - Pine Lake Prep 29-6
22 - West Stokes
7 - Monroe7 - Monroe 50-3
26 - North Stanly
10 - Randleman10 - Randleman 32-30
23 - Lincolnton
15 - Hendersonville15 - Hendersonville 35-33
18 - West Lincoln
2 - East Surry2 - East Surry 50-3
31 - Anson

My Eastern side of the bracket...There are definitely some holes in my calculations on the east side since I'm not as familiar with the teams...but I'm still confident.
**As I mentioned above...allowable error of 8 points in any direction

1 - Princeton1 - Princeton 53-0
32 - Goldsboro
16 - Heide Trask16 - Heide Trask 20-14
17 - Eastern Wayne
8 - Cummings8 - Cummings 38-24
25 - Bartlett Yancey
9 - East Carteret24 - Midway 17-14
24 - Midway
5 - Northeastern5 - Northeastern 50-16
28 - Farmville Central
12 - Wallace-Rose Hill12 - Wallace-Rose Hill 45-13
21 - Kinston
13 - Greene Central13 - Greene Central 28-21
20 - St Pauls
4 - Nash Central4 - Nash Central 35-6
29 - North Johnston
3 - Whiteville3 - Whiteville 48-3
30 - SW Onslow
14 - Holmes14 - Holmes 45-3
19 - SW Edgecombe
6 - West Craven6 - West Craven 23-11
27 - Bunn
11 - Hertford County11 - Hertford County 47-10
22 - East Bladen
7 - Clinton7 - Clinton 46-8
26 - Beddingfield
10 - South Granville10 - South Granville 23-6
23 - Roanoke Rapids
15 - James Kenan15 - James Kenan 43-21
18 - Camden County
2 - East Duplin2 - East Duplin 49-6
31 - North Pitt

My Eastern side of the bracket...There are definitely some holes in my calculations on the east side since I'm not as familiar with the teams...but I'm still confident.

32 - Goldsboro
17 - Eastern Wayne
25 - Bartlett Yancey
24 - Midway
28 - Farmville Central
21 - Kinston
20 - St Pauls
29 - North Johnston
30 - SW Onslow
19 - SW Edgecombe
27 - Bunn
22 - East Bladen
26 - Beddingfield
23 - Roanoke Rapids
18 - Camden County
31 - North Pitt
It looks pretty solid to me

Cummings beat Bartlett Yancey 32-14 in the conference game on Sept. 29.

IMO, the bracket-makers should have a rule that prevents conference rematches in the first round.

How many of those games are there in the 2-A bracket?

Cummings beat Bartlett Yancey 32-14 in the conference game on Sept. 29.

IMO, the bracket-makers should have a rule that prevents conference rematches in the first round.

How many of those games are there in the 2-A bracket?
I haven't looked in 2A but we've got a rematch in 4A here in Union County between Weddington and Marvin Ridge. They just played each other last Friday night now they play again this Friday in the first round. That shouldn't be allowed.

32 - Goldsboro
17 - Eastern Wayne
25 - Bartlett Yancey
24 - Midway
28 - Farmville Central
21 - Kinston
20 - St Pauls
29 - North Johnston
30 - SW Onslow
19 - SW Edgecombe
27 - Bunn
22 - East Bladen
26 - Beddingfield
23 - Roanoke Rapids
18 - Camden County
31 - North Pitt
So only upset “on paper” is Midway winning, everything else is chalk.

I don't see North Wilkes scoring that much on Chase. Chase's given up less than 100 points and NW's a one player offense (albeit a good one player.) Maybe they get a TD or two but if that RB gets pissed off and ejected probably not. It'll be over by halftime. Chase's size is amazing; I don't think I've seen a team that big in a long time.

Wilkes Central will give up way more than 42; their defense isn't the most physical I've seen and Robinson is very physical. If the NC state lineman doesn't show up ready to play WC will have a rough night.

West Stokes vs PL Prep's gonna be closer than a lot of people think. PL Prep struggled vs CSD last week and West runs a very similar wide open pass offense. I'd argue West is better coached though and they have some good athletes in the skill spots and a better sized line. PL Prep better ready to come to thud or else West might make a game out of it. West badly needs a statement win and this one would be it. West's conference and schedule is way tougher. PLP got a bad draw.

ES's score is about right on their best night. If they pass the ball any count with their speed they may give East some fits but if not then East should be fine. Line wise it's hard to top East. Too bad they aren't close to Chase on the brackets now that is a matchup I'd love to see.

I don't see North Wilkes scoring that much on Chase. Chase's given up less than 100 points and NW's a one player offense (albeit a good one player.) Maybe they get a TD or two but if that RB gets pissed off and ejected probably not. It'll be over by halftime. Chase's size is amazing; I don't think I've seen a team that big in a long time.

Wilkes Central will give up way more than 42; their defense isn't the most physical I've seen and Robinson is very physical. If the NC state lineman doesn't show up ready to play WC will have a rough night.

West Stokes vs PL Prep's gonna be closer than a lot of people think. PL Prep struggled vs CSD last week and West runs a very similar wide open pass offense. I'd argue West is better coached though and they have some good athletes in the skill spots and a better sized line. PL Prep better ready to come to thud or else West might make a game out of it. West badly needs a statement win and this one would be it. West's conference and schedule is way tougher. PLP got a bad draw.

ES's score is about right on their best night. If they pass the ball any count with their speed they may give East some fits but if not then East should be fine. Line wise it's hard to top East. Too bad they aren't close to Chase on the brackets now that is a matchup I'd love to see.
Chase's score includes a running clock and NW trash time scoring.

I weighted Robinson's score more on how they perform VS weak defenses rather than focusing on the actual defense they'll face. They get ahead comfortably by halftime then let up...stats show that as well...1200 yard QB and <600 yard leading rusher. I think 42 points nails it.

You may very well be right. Had a hard time gauging PLP. West Stokes however only averaged 16 ppg and their only victories were against teams with losing records. PLP has 2 defensive lineman that get after it in the pass...I don't expect them to be shut down 2 games in a row. I'll use my 8 point error swing and call it 29-14 PLP

I may have shorted Anson some points...but ES is super stingy at home. Spot Anson an extra 8.

Pays to be the #1 seed in the East. I dont think Princeton will be challenged at all for the first three rounds. I would pick Northeastern or WRH to defeat them in 4th round.

Bottom half of bracket is much deeper and whomever comes out of that will have earned it. ED, Whiteville, Clinton, West Craven, Hertford, JK and Holmes all on that side. 2nd Round would have JK/ED rematch, Hertford/West Craven and Whiteville/Holmes. Those would all be great 3rd round games. I think Clinton would be favored over South Granville should that happen but SG has played a very strong schedule this year so who knows. JK/ED winner would get Clinton in round 3 and all kinds of history between those three.

Pays to be the #1 seed in the East. I dont think Princeton will be challenged at all for the first three rounds. I would pick Northeastern or WRH to defeat them in 4th round.

Bottom half of bracket is much deeper and whomever comes out of that will have earned it. ED, Whiteville, Clinton, West Craven, Hertford, JK and Holmes all on that side. 2nd Round would have JK/ED rematch, Hertford/West Craven and Whiteville/Holmes. Those would all be great 3rd round games. I think Clinton would be favored over South Granville should that happen but SG has played a very strong schedule this year so who knows. JK/ED winner would get Clinton in round 3 and all kinds of history between those three.
I’d take wrh over northeastern

I agree. Scribe or anyone what do think of the Nash Central team? Do you think they have any hope of beating Princeton, Wallace or Northeastern ? Because other than them it looks to be a 3 team bracket. And I know nothing about Nash

Last edited:
Sure surprised a WRH fan would pick them to beat Northeastern, LOL.

Only thing I know about Nash is they play in a tough 2A/3A split conference and have played some good teams. Defeated a usually pretty stout Southern Nash early. Three losses were to SSS, Rocky Mount and Northern Nash so no shame in those though the SSS and NN games were one sided.

Maybe I should have at least mentioned them earlier but I just think that on that side of the bracket it will come down to Princeton/WRH or NE. Princeton has by far the easiest draw and whoever wins the 2nd round game between WRH and NE will beat them. I am not sold on Princeton defensively. ED put 57 on them and should have won the game. WRH runs basically the same offense. Northeastern's offense would put up a ton of points on them and I think they could get enough stops to win a shootout.

My First round predictions for the West:
**Based off a personal formula that takes into account your success, scoring, and strength of schedule
**I have an 8 point "allowable error" built in...so any game could have 8 points swing in any direction (for example; Walkertown could score 4 less and Mt Pleasant could score 4 more and the score be 30-28 instead of 34-24)
**I had 2 ties in my predictions: Randleman/Lincolnton and Hendo/West Lincoln - I gave the win to both home teams in this bracket...though I believe both CVAC teams will win
**I will do the Eastern Side of the Bracket at a latter time

1 - Reidsville1 - Reidsville 46-0
32 - Madison
16 - McMichael17 - Providence Grove 37-12
17 - Providence Grove
8 - Chase8 - Chase 50-18
25 - North Wilkes
9 - Robinson9 - Robinson 42-16
24 - Wilkes Central
5 - Maiden5 - Maiden 41-21
28 - Polk County
12 - Walkertown12 - Walkertown 34-24
21 - Mount Pleasant
13 - Bunker Hill13 - Bunker Hill 27-18
20 - East Davidson
4 - CS of Davidson4 - CS of Davidson 25-18
29 - East Gaston
3 - Burns3 - Burns 60-0
30 - Morehead
14 - Forest Hills14 - Forest Hills 20-17
19 - Shelby
6 - Salisbury6 - Salisbury 44-15
27 - Brevard
11 - Pine Lake Prep11 - Pine Lake Prep 29-6
22 - West Stokes
7 - Monroe7 - Monroe 50-3
26 - North Stanly
10 - Randleman10 - Randleman 32-30
23 - Lincolnton
15 - Hendersonville15 - Hendersonville 35-33
18 - West Lincoln
2 - East Surry2 - East Surry 50-3
31 - Anson
I think West Lincoln pulls a upset on Hendo.

Sure surprised a WRH fan would pick them to beat Northeastern, LOL.

Only thing I know about Nash is they play in a tough 2A/3A split conference and have played some good teams. Defeated a usually pretty stout Southern Nash early. Three losses were to SSS, Rocky Mount and Northern Nash so no shame in those though the SSS and NN games were one sided.

Maybe I should have at least mentioned them earlier but I just think that on that side of the bracket it will come down to Princeton/WRH or NE. Princeton has by far the easiest draw and whoever wins the 2nd round game between WRH and NE will beat them. I am not sold on Princeton defensively. ED put 57 on them and should have won the game. WRH runs basically the same offense. Northeastern's offense would put up a ton of points on them and I think they could get enough stops to win a shootout.
Yep Northern Nash is one of the favorites to win 3a east so no shame in that. And still can't believe ED lost that game to Princeton. They had it and just let that one slip rite though there hands. Is what it is now.

I think West Lincoln pulls a upset on Hendo.
One of the factors I have in my model is type of offense a team has...for WL they run a lot....so I account that into Hendo ability to score since that's extra time they won't be on the field. At the same time I have to factor in Hendo big play strike capability. My gut says WL wins by a score...my equation says a tie given to the home team.

I'll adjust as time results come in.

Just played Nash Central on Friday. Smaller than they look on film. Offense is ground based tight sets, lots of pulling linemen into space on the edges. Wing T concepts. Teams with a passing qb can exploit their secondary, especially with play action on the boundaries. Good kicker, punts are there for blocking. Plenty of speed once their backs get to the second level. Solid club, nothing flashy. Minimal home field advantage.

James you should know by now that you can’t even have a conversation with these wrh posters because they think they’re untouchable. I have a lot more to say but I’ll save it for game day. I’m looking forward to playing a new opponent in Farmville Central.

seal the edges, plug the middle, and disrupt their running lanes, and tackle everybody behind the line of scrimage if you have to. Easier said than done though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT