• West Caldwell?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Lincoln

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flyrod5518

Aug 5, 2019
Ready????? I am sure this is incorrect but here is what I could pull. Thoughts on teams and scrimmages set up.

Bandys - North Lincoln (Lincoln County Jamboree)
Bunker Hill - Draughn and Hickory (Hickory High Jamboree)
East Burke - North Iredell (Burke County Jamboree)
Lincolnton - St. Stephens and Southlake Christian (Lincoln County Jamboree)
Maiden - Hickory and Central Davidson
Newton-Conover - West Iredell and Freedom (Burke County Jamboree)
West Caldwell - Patton (Burke County Jamboree)
West Lincoln - East Lincoln and North Gaston (Lincoln County Jamboree)

Ready????? I am sure this is incorrect but here is what I could pull. Thoughts on teams and scrimmages set up.

Bandys - North Lincoln (Lincoln County Jamboree)
Bunker Hill - Draughn and Hickory (Hickory High Jamboree)
East Burke - North Iredell (Burke County Jamboree)
Lincolnton - St. Stephens and Southlake Christian (Lincoln County Jamboree)
Maiden - Hickory and Central Davidson
Newton-Conover - West Iredell and Freedom (Burke County Jamboree)
West Caldwell - Patton (Burke County Jamboree)
West Lincoln - East Lincoln and North Gaston (Lincoln County Jamboree)
Southlake Christian Academy?….that’s Cowan’s Ford dam area.

Had to google it.

Ain’t far from CSD and PLP…guess I’ll call ‘em SCA.

Man!…that area is growing.

Southlake Christian Academy?….that’s Cowan’s Ford dam area.

Had to google it.

Ain’t far from CSD and PLP…guess I’ll call ‘em SCA.

Man!…that area is growing.
I am not sure if he is still the HC, but someone will correct me if I am wrong, but their head coach is Cheron Farley. He was a standout on the 1993 state championship Wolves team and was the star player on the 1995 state championship baseball team.

I am not sure if he is still the HC, but someone will correct me if I am wrong, but their head coach is Cheron Farley. He was a standout on the 1993 state championship Wolves team and was the star player on the 1995 state championship baseball team.
I had forgotten that Lincolnton won a state championship in baseball….betting Mr. Lincolnton was floating on cloud nine in ‘95. 😂

I know I was….when Maiden won one in ‘99…I’m as proud of that as any of ‘em.

I had forgotten that Lincolnton won a state championship in baseball….betting Mr. Lincolnton was floating on cloud nine in ‘95. 😂

I know I was….when Maiden won one in ‘99…I’m as proud of that as any of ‘em.
MC, their pitching rotation C.Farley, S. Sigmon and R. Colvard was really good. They won the title against Western Guilford 2 games to one.

One of their playoff games was at I believe Mountain Heritage. A friend of mine who was something of a light-hearted heckler was there. When the umpire would call a close pitch that was not favorable to Lincolnton, this guy would yell out, "Come on Blue (A reference to the umpire's uniform) we paid you better than that" !

Another Lincolnton fan said during this game he went to the concession stand and some of the mountain mommas were chatting about the game not going well for them. He overheard one of the ladies say "You heard what their fans said, they've paid the umpire", and another one said "And yeah, they even know his name" (Blue). 😄

LHSfaninVA, To my knowledge Cheron is their head coach. All the best to him. He is a good guy and a good wolf.

@Lincolnton please share the story you shared with us at lunch about the pet when you were a child with everyone... every detail including the pets name and why it was named that LOL

AMAZING LOL

Creek had just left (someone has to still work) so he missed it, but I am still laughing thinking about it

@CHEERDUCK @65Lion @Maiden Creek

Carry on....

@Lincolnton please share the story you shared with us at lunch about the pet when you were a child with everyone... every detail including the pets name and why it was named that LOL

AMAZING LOL

Creek had just left (someone has to still work) so he missed it, but I am still laughing thinking about it

Carry on....
Come on Lincolnton tell it in full detail.

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
West Lincoln does have a quick elusive back in Winnex. Which I guess his moving truck didn't make it out of vale 😞🤣🤣

AMAZING LOL

Carry on....
I can only imagine what this story will be.

Ole Lincolnton leaned over to me earlier before I left and said Creek…let me show you my new pet.

It was a video on his phone….he had a Kit Kat bar that he already took the corner off of…the video pans up a brick wall and gets close to a wasp nest!😂😂😂

Damned if one of the wasps catches the smell of chocolate and takes a bite!😂😂😂

It actually crawls onto the bar and eats for a minute and then Lincolnton raises back to the nest and he jumps back on the nest.😂

Ole Lincolnton says..don’t tell my family…they’ll put me in a rest home.😂😂😂

Last edited:

Ole Lincolnton leaned over to me earlier before I left and said Creek…let me show you my new pet.

It was a video on his phone….he had a Kit Kat bar that he already took the corner off of…the video pans up a brick wall and gets close to a wasp nest!😂😂😂

It actually crawls onto the bar and eats for a minute and then Lincolnton raises back to the nest and he jumps back on the nest.😂

Ole Lincolnton says..don’t tell my family…they’ll put me a rest home.😂😂😂
The boy can spin a yarn. Damned poet!

Ole Lincolnton says..don’t tell my family…they’ll put me a rest home.😂😂😂
We saw that video clip as well. You still need to hear the other story.

AMAZING LOL

Carry on....
My friend, I'll always accommodate you on any request but I'm not sure how well that would be received by some. Heck, even our own people here in Lincolnton might have me put in the nursing home for humanitarian reasons over this one.

Oh well, what the heck: For the posters who aren't familiar with us, some of the posters from this area meet ever so often to talk high school football and discuss recent sports news and tell stories about games, teams and players from the past.

Today, we met right outside of Hickory. After lunch and just before everyone left, the subject of pets came up. The reason this came up is that a couple of us, me in particular are old. Pets can have an effect on the quality of life, course, most of you know that. I happened to have a video of a wasp that has a nest over the back door of my house. It never has stung or bothered me, and to, well, show it my gratitude I began feeding it. I know that sounds strange but it's kind of entertaining to watch a wasp get excited over a snack. Even more strange I learned it has a taste for Kit Kat bars So I let the fellers see this video of me feeding this wasp. They seemed to get a chuckle out of it which I'm glad they did.

I explained to them that some creatures are fairly intelligent and that when I was a kid I would pass through a laundromat located in my neighborhood. I would go through there to read comments people had scribbled on the walls and check the coin returns for overlooked change.

One day I noticed that in a corner there was a bunch of tiny cockroaches, so I used an empty cracker pack to catch one of them. I took it home and put it in a large matchbox with some cotton and set the box in a small fish bowl. I would feed it sweetened water by dipping a straight pen in it and would leave a dollop of banana and peanut butter with it. I figured it would die soon or run off but it didn't. Come to find out, they really grow fast, and honestly, I was kind of proud of it. I kept it clean with a damp cotton swab and it would not try to run from me. Actually, they're easy to maintain. I know this sounds odd but I named it for a cousin whom I really liked Clarice (pronounced Clair-reece).

That spring, one of the churches and the school, allowed the kids to have something like a "Greatest pet contest". Anybody wishing to participate was to meet at the school that I went to, and pets were going to be judged in different categories. Kids and parents and pets met in a utility room to register. This lady came by asking everybody about their pets and their pets names. When she finished with the registering, she said "We have dogs, cats, fish, a couple of guinea pigs and one cockroach.

I could tell by the way she said "one cockroach" that she didn't like it. This same lady went over and spoke to one of the teachers (my teacher) who came straight back there and asked what was in the matchbox. I showed it to her, she told me to close the match box which she took from me, laid it in the floor, stepped on the box with the roach in it, took it and dropped it in the garbage can. This teacher said real hateful, "Do not ever bring "vermin" into a building, again. The smartest boy in our class was standing beside of me and I asked him what vermin was ? He said "it's that bug she just killed".

They may still have something like this at one of the local churches but I think it's called "The blessing of the animals". Awhile back they had this blessing of the animals and the newspaper had a picture of a little boy with his pet which was a rat, LOL.

Listen fellers, This is just an old story from more than 60 years ago. I know it doesn't have anything to do with football and it sounds like the drivel of an old wacky man, but a couple of friends who I'll always accommodate, asked me to rehash it.

Let me throw in a disclaimer, here. The teachers I had were some of the finest people I will ever know. This one I was telling you about was ok but she could be hateful as hell, sometimes, (sorry Sportsnut).

End of story.

The greatest pet story ever, has been told... Lol

We laughed, and I laughed and laughed and am still laughing... I loved that story and we love our pal Lincolnton and all his myriad of stories... I cherish those moments listening to him and these other old farts talk...

Ill add one tidbit, there was a new fella there today (I forget his name because I guess since I began attending these meetings the old fart syndrome has rubbed off.) Anyway, someone asked about my son, a rising senior, so I explained since he was 5 he has insisted his dream is to become a navy seal, so two weeks ago he enlisted early (Leaves june 18th 2024) for the navy...

Just so happens this new gentleman had on a navy hat, he told me stories of some of the training and such and I listened intently to his wisdom and kind words that eased a lot of my worries and such... Men like him and these other gentlemen, I have always been drawn even as a teenager to the older generations, for their wisdom. their stories and such... I was born a couple decades to late in my opinion as I have always leaned more toward the older folks, as they are just my kind of folks AND I say that with the upmost respect...

These lunch meetings are always a blast, we laugh, we are loud, and Lincolnton ALWAYS walks in the door, gets like two inches from the face of the first person he finds to see if its one of us, until we yell for him.... I hope this tradition continues for years to come

Sorry I kind of took over this thread asking for the story, but it HAD to be told ha ha ha ha ha......

Thank you, Shelby Lion. You're a blessing to all of us. The very best to your son. You've obviously taught him the value of service. He will do just fine. We'll all be praying for him.

Whoever voted for West Lincoln please come forward I would like to hear the reasoning
It wuddn’t me and honestly…I haven’t voted for anyone yet.

However….West Lincoln is not a bad pick in my opinion. They’ve shown that they can play with anybody in this conference. I certainly dread when Maiden plays them and would be shocked if you didn’t feel the same way when the Bears match up against them.

They’re always tough, well coached and have had plenty of playoff experience. There’s no way I’m counting them out.

Those old geezers painted me into a corner at lunch yesterday…asking me if the Bears are gonna beat Maiden this year…my reply was….they should considering how good they are…but it ain’t gonna happen!😂… just wanted you to know..

Good luck to you and the Bears!😉

I can’t wait.

Me personally I’d have to see a game first and a couple scrimmages but not against a team like Highland Tech on the low end or Mallard Creek on the high end def not 2 games to gage your team on but based just on paper, returns/graduation and no bias as of this moment-

1. BH : returns, athletes, some hype, high number of speedsters. Gotta be their year but last year before a drought

2 Bandys: big time JV, returns, athletes. They could win the crown if any defense slacks on a play or 2. That’s really all it takes, just ask EB. Also OC coach Helms will make a difference. Tons of experience the man knows his stuff

3 EB: RETURNS!!(biggest reason), coaching, some hype, history( 3 wins 06’/ 3rd round of playoffs 07’ from all the RETURNS and shoulda ended better if Independence had their unqualified players put away before this game as opposed to after, just our luck) They had Shatley though. This team has no Shatley but Coble could be closest thing if he’s been trainning and ready.
A healthy RB Buff(out with injury early last year) will make a huge difference too.
Drought coming for EB after this season

Things to remember- Last year EB scored nicely at times against a good Maiden team, took BH down to the wire as did Lincolnton, played a soild 2 quarters against Bandys but farted off for whatever reason rest of game and let it get away from em. Expect big things from the Cavs when they line up agasint pretty much the same kids with some adjustments made.

4 Maiden: putting them here only because of mass graduation only. Prob bounce back good after this year or they may prove me dead wrong.

These are my top 4 on paper. 2 weeks or less we’ll all know how these picks will pan out, mark it down fellas

Last edited:
Me personally I’d have to see a game first and a couple scrimmages but not against a team like Highland Tech on the low end or Mallard Creek on the high end def not 2 games to gage your team on but based just on paper, returns/graduation and no bias as of this moment-

1. BH : returns, athletes, some hype, high number of speedsters. Gotta be their year but last year before a drought

2 Bandys: big time JV, returns, athletes. They could win the crown if any defense slacks on a play or 2. That’s really all it takes, just ask EB. Also OC coach Helms will make a difference. Tons of experience the man knows his stuff

3 EB: RETURNS!!(biggest reason), coaching, some hype, history( 3 wins 06’/ 3rd round of playoffs 07’ from all the RETURNS and shoulda ended better if Independence had their unqualified players put away before this game as opposed to after, just our luck) They had Shatley though. This team has no Shatley but Coble could be closest thing if he’s been trainning and ready.
A healthy RB Buff(out with injury early last year) will make a huge difference too.

Things to remember- Last year EB scored nicely at times against a good Maiden team, took BH down to the wire as did Lincolnton, played a soild 2 quarters against Bandys but farted off for whatever reason rest of game and let it get away from em. Expect big things from the Cavs when they line up agasint pretty much the same kids with some adjustments made.

4 Maiden: putting them here only because of mass graduation only. Prob bounce back good after this year or they may prove me dead wrong.

These are my top 4 on paper. 2 weeks or less we’ll all know how these picks will pan out, mark it down fellas
Last time maiden had a mass graduation of 24 seniors we only went on the next year to win the conference

Prob a faithful fan or someone making a joke ha ha. Making a real joke would be voting for West Caldwell. I’d vote for WC, if this was the 80s. I’m sure people in the crowds in a 80s WC never saw their team being this low 38 39 years from then.
Depends on when in the 1980s as by the end of the 1980s it was Lincolnton who was winning the Big 6 3A until it went away in the early 90s. A conference with six teams imagine that? Lincolnton, West Caldwell, East Lincoln, Hibriten, St. Stephens and Foard. Lincolnton's non-conference schedule was Shelby, South Point, Kings Mountain, and West Lincoln. In the mid-80s I believe Freedom was on the schedule. Not sure who replaced them of that group.

Depends on when in the 1980s as by the end of the 1980s it was Lincolnton who was winning the Big 6 3A until it went away in the early 90s. A conference with six teams imagine that? Lincolnton, West Caldwell, East Lincoln, Hibriten, St. Stephens and Foard. Lincolnton's non-conference schedule was Shelby, South Point, Kings Mountain, and West Lincoln. In the mid-80s I believe Freedom was on the schedule. Not sure who replaced them of that group.
10 years is a lot of ground to cover I know. 80-89

I’m thinking it was 87’ WC played in state final and lost. Biggerstaff was coaching and maybe after that game is when he left coaching for a while. 6 conf teams was typical I guess cause of less population. That was the days it when it wa country driving going to East Lincoln and Mooresville. Before you saw a Dollar General pop up every 10 feet

10 years is a lot of ground to cover I know. 80-89

I’m thinking it was 87’ WC played in state final and lost. Biggerstaff was coaching and maybe after that game is when he left coaching for a while. 6 conf teams was typical I guess cause of less population. That was the days it when it wa country driving going to East Lincoln and Mooresville. Before you saw a Dollar General pop up every 10 feet
BFR, West Caldwell lost out to Shelby in the 1987 semi-finals by a score of 16-13. Shelby's C. Gwaltney kicked a fifty yard field goal (in the rain) late in the game for the win. Shelby would go on to beat Burlington Williams 19-0 for the title. West Caldwell was big, tough, fast and mean (in a football way) that year.

*Here are some highlights from that Shelby-West Caldwell game. The acuity of the film isn't so good but If you fast forward to around the 28:45 mark and let it play a few seconds you'll see the field goal. I couldn't believe a high school player could kick a fifty yard field goal until I saw it. I was there.

Last edited:

The Hill has a talented crop of juniors that will be fine after the seniors graduate this year. No real drought for the bears, but I am good if u want to sleep on them. Please do.

It wuddn’t me and honestly…I haven’t voted for anyone yet.

However….West Lincoln is not a bad pick in my opinion. They’ve shown that they can play with anybody in this conference. I certainly dread when Maiden plays them and would be shocked if you didn’t feel the same way when the Bears match up against them.

They’re always tough, well coached and have had plenty of playoff experience. There’s no way I’m counting them out.

Those old geezers painted me into a corner at lunch yesterday…asking me if the Bears are gonna beat Maiden this year…my reply was….they should considering how good they are…but it ain’t gonna happen!😂… just wanted you to know..

Good luck to you and the Bears!😉

I can’t wait.
West Lincoln’s OC just can’t keep the bears out of his mouth talking about we more worried about photo shoots then the weight room 😂😂

2017-18 season Keegan Mayfield stepped in at QB after Farley graduation went undefeated in regular season
2017-2018? That must have been a really special season with tMBD playing into January. Was 2016 a three way tie for first place? I know Maiden beat Lincolnton. Did West Caldwell beat Maiden that year or another team Maiden in '16?

2017-2018? That must have been a really special season with tMBD playing into January. Was 2016 a three way tie for first place? I know Maiden beat Lincolnton. Did West Caldwell beat Maiden that year or another team Maiden in '16?
Never thought about it but I suppose it was a three way tie. West Caldwell beat Maiden 35-12, West lost to Lincolnton 33-20 and Maiden beat Lincolnton 65-47 (65 points, GMADB).

• Haha
West Lincoln’s OC just can’t keep the bears out of his mouth talking about we more worried about photo shoots then the weight room 😂😂
I did just 1 of ur big boys at the gym 15 minutes ago. He was lifting a little bit but maybe socializing a little more 🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT