ADVERTISEMENT

Crest vs Shelby at Shelby

From what I’m hearing, Crest lost starting and backup RG and starting LT to injuries and the backups just do not have the skills in an offense that requires them to move quickly. Really showed in the 2nd half.
Tough having a loaded Shelby next on the schedule with all the injuries. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have.
Xchamp you are one of the few posters I really respect but dont you think these early season injuries are a direct result of a lack of summer conditioning?

Yea, Bullard, Ledbetter, Cochran, Hopper, Patterson, Dane Rodgers, Qourtez Wright (sp) and company......WAYYYY different healthy than this years team if they was at full health. There isn’t one player on this years team at crest that would compare to them. I’m just trying to understand how you can even begin to try to make this a valid argument bud
You are missing my point. That year what was on paper didn’t matter which is the case the majority of the time with these two. Your point was that you never know what will happen when these two play and in years past that is very accurate. My point is Crest is way to banged up this year for me to believe that theory will work this year. If Crest was at full health this year you can throw the records out. You have no clue what will happen but this year they are not healthy and I feel it will show this week. Is my argument valid yet?

From what I’m hearing, Crest lost starting and backup RG and starting LT to injuries and the backups just do not have the skills in an offense that requires them to move quickly. Really showed in the 2nd half.
Tough having a loaded Shelby next on the schedule with all the injuries. Sometimes you have to do the best you can with what you have.
Which adds to my point!

Hey MP are you the poster formerly know as dabombdropper ....love the new name way more. Bombs are gone and Maddog bites are more in style these days .
Thanks but no. Bomb uses the name Artimus Pyledriver but yet he/she has not arrived on scene. I thought the Crest win would draw him/her out going by history. I don’t hate Crest the way he/she does.

Reactions: Lawn12Dog
Worst Crest team ive watched in a while.
Things i noticed Fri at Burns.
Crest moved the ball on short screen passes only to try to go back to running something Burns was stopping.
Also when Burns got pressure on Fuller he seemed disrupted....making mistakes.
I see Shelbys D line giving Fuller problems from the edges..
I'm also curious to see how Crest DB's can handle Shelby receivers..
Bess is playing like a veteran Qb and we will have our Fuller back at rb this week after being out since Jambo.
Im thinking 35- 14...35-17 Shelby win
CREST IN A MILD UPSET 24 TO 21.

Reactions: crest91
I expect a good, very competitive game. No matter how good or bad Crest is perceived to be, they become a totally different team whenever they see that black and old gold lined up on the opposing side. We never blow them, not even with some of the best teams we have had.

On and another note, Crest would be better with Ruff at quarterback, in my opinion. The young man can throw, he’s smart, and he’s very quick and elusive. I’ve thought to myself, “Damn, did he get to Crest and couldn’t suddenly throw anymore”. I know that’s not the case. Don’t get me wrong, Fuller is going to be very good over the next two years. I just think right now, Ruff gives them the best chance to win, and If running back, Jalin Graham, is still out, that number 8 showed flashes.

And, as far as Shelby hyping itself up, I’ve seen very little of that. Maddog, you appear to be the one poster who’s feeling himself, though, in my opinion. Asheville is 1-2 on the season, and no matter how you slice it, you still have that KM game on your resume. Your asses got whipped, so you really should remain humble, talking about if we don’t do this or that versus Crest. Caleb Borders and Graham were out vs Burns, those are two very good players. Their best D lineman was hobbled all game. Crest could not get any pressure on Sweezy whatsoever. You guys beat Crest, straight up, and it was very impressive, but you are playing that banged up card a little extra this week for whatever reason. Those same players were hurt vs Burns, too. I like what I see in Burns, though, no doubt. Sweezy is progressing at a high level, and you obviously have a dynamic playmaker in Pryor, who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. The Burns D line is very impressive.

Last edited:
You are missing my point. That year what was on paper didn’t matter which is the case the majority of the time with these two. Your point was that you never know what will happen when these two play and in years past that is very accurate. My point is Crest is way to banged up this year for me to believe that theory will work this year. If Crest was at full health this year you can throw the records out. You have no clue what will happen but this year they are not healthy and I feel it will show this week. Is my argument valid yet?

I understand where you’re coming from now. But injuries are just part of the game. I am not saying one way or the other, Shelby definitely has the ability to hang 50 on them but again I’ve seen stranger things.

Reactions: SHS LION
I expect a good, very competitive game. No matter how good or bad Crest is perceived to be, they become a totally different team whenever they see that black and old gold lined up on the opposing side. We never blow them, not even with some of the best teams we have had.

On and another note, Crest would be better with Ruff at quarterback, in my opinion. The young man can throw, he’s smart, and he’s very quick and elusive. I’ve thought to myself, “Damn, did he get to Crest and couldn’t suddenly throw anymore”. I know that’s not the case. Don’t get me wrong, Fuller is going to be very good over the next two years. I just think right now, Ruff gives them the best chance to win, and If running back, Jalin Graham, is still out, that number 8 showed flashes.

And, as far as Shelby hyping itself up, I’ve seen very little of that. Maddog, you appear to be the one poster who’s feeling himself, though, in my opinion. Asheville is 1-2 on the season, and no matter how you slice it, you still have that KM game on your resume. Your asses got whipped, so you really should remain humble, talking about if we don’t do this or that versus Crest. Caleb Borders and Graham were out vs Burns, those are two very good players. Their best D lineman was hobbled all game. Crest could not get any pressure on Sweezy whatsoever. You guys beat Crest, straight up, and it was very impressive, but you are playing that banged up card a little extra this week for whatever reason. Those same players were hurt vs Burns, too. I like what I see in Burns, though, no doubt. Sweezy is progressing at a high level, and you obviously have a dynamic playmaker in Pryor, who is a threat to score from anywhere on the field. The Burns D line is very impressive.
Please show me where I was not humble. I didn’t beat my chest on Friday. I didn’t even post on any social media about either win. I have only posted on here and it’s been nothing but respect toward Crest and Kings Mountain unless we were going back in forth in fun. We were without Hoyle all three games. He is a great offensive lineman. Injuries happen and it is part of the game. As far as resume, look at the Shelby resume last year. Got that ass whipped by Burns and went on to win it all. It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. Shelby proved that. People don’t want to hear about Crest having injuries because they don’t want to hear that excuse as a reason they lost to Shelby. It takes away the hype of Shelby being dominant. I gave my opinion on how this game will go. I stand by it. If I am wrong who the hell cares. It’s a message board and I’m a nobody.

Xchamp you are one of the few posters I really respect but dont you think these early season injuries are a direct result of a lack of summer conditioning?

Really hard to say Crest injuries come from lack of summer conditioning. I think all local schools get great turnout in the summer. Can't comment specifically on any school without actually seeing what they are doing.

Could just be bad luck.

I do remember 2 instances in past years where the local coaching staffs did poor jobs preparing the kids.
1, Back when Crest got the "Crampers" tag, they had kids going down all over the field that season with cramps. Coaches tried to blame the heat and the kids diets but every other team they played had far fewer cramps during games.
2. During Ron Greene tenure at Burns, he worked his kids so hard through the week (Practicing well past 6pm) that come Friday nights you could see his kids run out of gas in 2nd half.

Please show me where I was not humble. I didn’t beat my chest on Friday. I didn’t even post on any social media about either win. I have only posted on here and it’s been nothing but respect toward Crest and Kings Mountain unless we were going back in forth in fun. We were without Hoyle all three games. He is a great offensive lineman. Injuries happen and it is part of the game. As far as resume, look at the Shelby resume last year. Got that ass whipped by Burns and went on to win it all. It’s not how you start, it’s how you finish. Shelby proved that. People don’t want to hear about Crest having injuries because they don’t want to hear that excuse as a reason they lost to Shelby. It takes away the hype of Shelby being dominant. I gave my opinion on how this game will go. I stand by it. If I am wrong who the hell cares. It’s a message board and I’m a nobody.
I will admit that I didn’t thorougly read the posts in this thread, but why didn’t you highlight Crest’s injuries going into the game with Burns?

Runningback Jalin Graham... Out!
Wr/Db Caleb Borders .... Out!
Crest radio guys were shocked that one of their best D linemen even suited up, I can’t remember if it was Patterson or Richardson.

It’s as if you were trying to create this narrative that if we destroy Crest, beat them worst than Burns, it’s because of the injuries, when in essence, Burns will have beaten an injured Crest team, too, but no one wanted to use that as an excuse, play that card, because injuries are a part of the game.

Reactions: Crestuff
Hated Hoyle didnt play fri. I wanted to see him in action im friends with his Daddy and sat with him at game fri. I hear he will be back for Newton though

LA, I agree with your first paragraph. Seen way too many Shelby/Crest games over the years end up totally different than expected. It's the beauty of this rivalry.

I do disagree with you comments about Ruff. I watched Ruff play for Shelby JV last year and thought he threw a beautiful ball plus he was very elusive and fast. I did feel he struggled with accuracy. Coming into this season I also felt Ruff would win the job at QB. However, after seeing a couple Crest games and talking with Crest coach I understand why they made their decisions. Fuller is a better passer (when given decent protection) and an adequate runner. By allowing Ruff to line up at rb, wildcat, slot and wr they get him a lot more touches in space. So far he has been very dynamic in that role.
Plus, Ruff understands he will not play QB at the next level and getting a ton of tape at DB, RB, Receiver and Returns will improve his chances to play in college.

Reactions: Lion Attack
And you did beat your “chess”.

*Just wanted an excuse to post this.
I had no clue they had that many injuries. Before the game I honestly didn’t know. And it’s chest!! Like King Kong! Some Burns fans still have not climbed down from the top of the light post. Been up there since Friday night. Air dropped papa johns last night.

Reactions: Lion Attack
I had no clue they had that many injuries. Before the game I honestly didn’t know. And it’s chest!! Like King Kong! Some Burns fans still have not climbed down from the top of the light post. Been up there since Friday night. Air dropped papa johns last night.
Mountie Pride delivered us the classic response in some recent thread that he see Shelby posters “beating our chess”. I’m no grammar cop, ain’t in position to be one, but that was funny upon seeing it. I just randomly wanted to say that, pay me no mind.

Reactions: Maddog Pride
Mountie Pride delivered us the classic response in some recent thread that he see Shelby posters “beating our chess”. I’m no grammar cop, ain’t in position to be one, but that was funny upon seeing it. I just randomly wanted to say that, pay me no mind.
I got a laugh out of it. I honestly wanted to reply to him Checkmate bitch. Then I thought better of it. Technically I just did but still. His post had wiener works cook all over it.

I got a laugh out of it. I honestly wanted to reply to him Checkmate bitch. Then I thought better of it. Technically I just did but still. His post had wiener works cook all over it.
That was on me, not rereading what I had TYPE. SPEAKING of INJURIES one of the top RUNNING BACKS in the county has its to suit up for any games this year, that being KM RICAYLEN MACK hope to have him back soon. And how did you know that I WORKED AT WIENER WORKS?

That was on me, not rereading what I had TYPE. SPEAKING of INJURIES one of the top RUNNING BACKS in the county has its to suit up for any games this year, that being KM RICAYLEN MACK hope to have him back soon. And how did you know that I WORKED AT WIENER WORKS?
May want to proof read that one too bud.

Typically a team banged up this early speaks to off season conditioning.....imo.....
100% correct Lawndog. Clearly the Crest program has fallen by the wayside like a sick mule on a handful of hay while Shelby shows its pedigree each and every season. Maybe this is wake up call they need to remember what’s important. Not hopeful on that. :D

I have zero power over at Crest. I’m just a dumb fan. I’d love for Crest to go to the 4th round or better every year. But you just gotta take what ya get sometimes and hope that the people who do have power and control make the right choices and decisions.

I said it at the beginning of the season on one of these threads. I watched Crest at a 7-7 or two and its the least impressive Crest team I have seen in a while. Not trying to talk trash just giving my opinion. I also said that they are still more athletic than most teams and will be just fine. Crest fans may just be a little spoiled over the last decade because of the super teams that were brought in to them. This is typical of successful programs, they hit bumps every so often. "Nitro" at the middle school will be a baller for them in 2-3 seasons.

I said it at the beginning of the season on one of these threads. I watched Crest at a 7-7 or two and its the least impressive Crest team I have seen in a while. Not trying to talk trash just giving my opinion. I also said that they are still more athletic than most teams and will be just fine. Crest fans may just be a little spoiled over the last decade because of the super teams that were brought in to them. This is typical of successful programs, they hit bumps every so often. "Nitro" at the middle school will be a baller for them in 2-3 seasons.

Ole Nitro ...... We gave him that name years ago around 2011 or 2012 as he was one of my mighty mites at Upper Cleveland before leaving for Shelby Panthers, then ending up at Crest..... Kid was spectacular then and know he will be in the future on the football field...

Good kid....

Reactions: The_Rev921
I saw that game two years ago , great rivalry. Just like Pisgah and Tuscola records don't matter. It always comes down to who wants it the most and makes the least mistakes.

I have had to work this year and haven't caught a game yet but I can say this without seeing a game. Crest losing to a county rival by 3 TD's is inexcusable regardless of who is hurt. Not trying to take any thing away from Burns but it is what it is.

gonna be a good game at first but The Lawndale transplants make big plays and pull away. 42-17 Shelby Golden Bulllions :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT