ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee vs north Duplin

A little late on the reply but this team is a different beast vs the 2006 team. That team was too one dimensional. Relied on the run game solely. This team actually has a QB that makes smart plays with the ball and can attack several different ways.

The weakness of this team if anything might be on kickoffs. Could be more consistent with that to keep ND from starting with good field position.

If cherokee would let there new extra point kicker kickoff, i think they would do better....he kicked off last week after cherokee got a 5 yard penalty and squibbed it all the way for a touchback. I wish they would let him kickoff more

Won't be no excuse from us son!! You don't know us like that, if it's strait up then we will say it like it is!! We talk about hittin like you east sliders talk about speed!!! Murphy put tha beat down on us and you didn't hear us talkin crazy like, our stats were better or what if!! All tha talkin is bout over son!!

Almost 48 hours to game time. Long week but it’s getting closer. Safe travels to Braves tomorrow

Reactions: jh60
Fighting4Braves I think you'll actually be pretty impressed with North Duplin's size and physicality. Like I said before your team may line up and hit ND harder than they've been hit all year, but that's the life ND loves. They want to have contact and they want the pads to pop.

Forecast if Raleigh changes every 6hrs, latest rain changing to snow. Should not be a problem on road since ground is so warm but Raleigh traffic is tough on a sunny day. Safe travel to all..

To all the ND fans... coming from a Plymouth Viking fan, congrats on the chance to bring the gold back to the east. As far as all the mouth coming from the West, take it with a grain of salt! Plymouth has competed and won against those mountain boys and still struggle to gain respect.

The SMC is the only all 1A conference in the mountains and they year after year bring a championship back. They do it with Swain. They do it with Robbinsville. They do it with Murphy. Now they get a chance with Cherokee.The SMC is the class of 1A football everywhere. They've earned the right to talk because it's a different breed of football in that conference. I'm not even a fan of anyone from that conference but I respect the heck out of what they do every year.

The SMC is the only all 1A conference in the mountains and they year after year bring a championship back. They do it with Swain. They do it with Robbinsville. They do it with Murphy. Now they get a chance with Cherokee.The SMC is the class of 1A football everywhere. They've earned the right to talk because it's a different breed of football in that conference. I'm not even a fan of anyone from that conference but I respect the heck out of what they do every year.
Not sure about year after year, over the past 10 years SMC has won 5 out of 20 titles in 1A & 1AA state titles, which is impressive, but Duplin Co. schools Wallace-Rose Hill has won 5 & James Kenan 2 , so it's ND time.

Reactions: Bearcat67
I respect some of those down east teams like JK, WRH, Plymouth. I'm sure you ask the Murphy posters and they'll agree that Plymouth knows how to play due to the battles they've had. Maybe we should dub some of those eastern teams "Honorary SMC member"? :D

Reactions: vikingfan08
Not sure about year after year, over the past 10 years SMC has won 5 out of 20 titles in 1A & 1AA state titles, which is impressive, but Duplin Co. schools Wallace-Rose Hill has won 5 & James Kenan 2 , so it's ND time.

Not to take a thing a way from their accomplishments but both of those schools are much bigger than any in the SMC. That's why both are 2A and have been borderline for a while. I think someone referenced the fact that an SMC school has played for a 1A title every year since 2010 and it's been 4 different schools. Heck, Cherokee and Robbinsville combined has a student population that is nearly identical to James Kenan and WRH.

There is a different level of complete conference play in the SMC. Always has been. I respect from afar what they've been able to do.

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
To all the ND fans... coming from a Plymouth Viking fan, congrats on the chance to bring the gold back to the east. As far as all the mouth coming from the West, take it with a grain of salt! Plymouth has competed and won against those mountain boys and still struggle to gain respect. We have heard all the excuses from a weak schedule to not being able to take a hit. And guess what... when the whistle blew, they were always 2 teams fighting for the same thing. We won some, we lost some... but we always competed! I would expect Cherokee to be bigger and maybe a little more physical then nearly everyone you played this year. But it is 1 game for all the marbles, whoever controls the clock and has the least turnovers will win. Plymouth runs 4 run plays and 1 pass play, and everybody knows it. But guess what, we won several rings doing it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is.... go to Raleigh, do what you've been doing, and 2 things will happen. You'll win and the West will come up with some excuse on why, or you'll lose, and they will say I told you so. But you still can take pride in being 1 of 2 teams standing in 1a football right now. Enjoy the ride and send those mountain boys back with there tails between there legs!!! Viking Pride!!!! Go ND..
I have to acknowledge and agree that Plymouth is not a joke. Yes we always say we (the West) will lay it to the East teams. But Plymouth has earned the biggest respect from me. This is the first year in almost a decade where Plymouth has not faced off against the SMC. And yeah Plymouth has won some (still upset about 15) and they have lost some. But I don't think there was a game which was not a nail bitter. Last year Murphy whacked our conference, steamrolled us and barley snuck out with a state championships. So you have to give North Duplin credit! Beating Plymouth is not easy. When it is playoff time, you throw out the record and show up. Being undefeated at the end of a season is great, but the greatest achievement is being undefeated at the end of the playoffs!

Safe travels for Cherokee team & fans...see ya across the battlefield Saturday....look for the biggest Rebel fans you can find...I'll be amongst them...Good Luck, may the best team win

Reactions: BravesGWY
Woooooo hoooooooo!! Wooooo!! Tha war call has been issued and it's time to meet at center ground and match up!!!!!

Fighting4Braves I think you'll actually be pretty impressed with North Duplin's size and physicality. Like I said before your team may line up and hit ND harder than they've been hit all year, but that's the life ND loves. They want to have contact and they want the pads to pop.

They should really enjoy their whoopin then. Finally a state championship game where everyone is happy at the end!

Hope the Braves get off the reservation early, the roads are starting to get white here in Rosman. Go get um Braves bring it back to the SMC.

Badtiger

Think the Braves had their sendoff yesterday, so the team is probably already on their way....Snow let it snow...4-6+ inches now forecast for our area...

Raleigh may get some flurries overnight but game time is expected to be wet a dreary. Good luck to both teams.

Cherokee appreciates all the support from Wnc by taking today off to give everyone time to get Raleigh. Glad the team left yesterday cause it’s white in Cherokee

Simmons Ratings picked Cherokee by 7, the ole Braves say their Big Line will crush the Rebel line. 24 hrs before kickoff hats off to all players still playing and Keep It Rolling Rebels.

Well what you sayin?? Our line gonna get crushed!?? We're bout to find out and all your beatin around tha bush jive will be over!!!

He's just making stuff up now lol. One thing he is right, time is drawing near, snow and all.

There won't be no throwin our guys off like in that little video 1 of unz showed!! Come on time speed up!!!

I will say this. Cherokee in the playoffs has stepped up to another level from what they were even playing in the regular season. I went to the Thomas Jefferson game and they made TJ look like they had never played a down of football. They are hitting harder, playing harder and playing with a passion. Can't wait to watch this game.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Oh no the big bad mountain team is going to beat up the flatlanders. Please, it's option football North Duplin's backs have been getting popped all year. After they get hit they get right back up and do it again because they know it's for the good of the team. You may be right that your defense hits harder than any conceivable beings ever to put on pads before now and that North Duplin hasn't been hit like this. But one thing is that when a game like this is on the line the kids wearing Green and Gold will not fold they will not drop their heads, they will continue with the plan the coaches set for them. They aren't going to be scared. They don't give two flips what the name on the jersey across from them says or what logo is on the side. They just play ball. It's a mentality for them and they won't be scared to get hit. After your kids keep hitting them and they keep getting back up asking for seconds, that's when you know you've been in a game.
I’ve seen ND play this year and have kept up with there progress and one thing I can say is ND will not give up they will fight til the end win or lose!

Braves in the house! Raleigh takeover. North Duplin better back up every bit of what their posters are saying, have fresh mouth pieces and bit ready to get hit in bitter cold weather.

"North Duplin better back up every bit of what their posters are saying" ????? Really??? I think ND posters have been fairly humble in this thread. It is the Cherokee and SMC posters who are saying that the ND team will never get hit like they will in this game.

I am pulling for coach Briggs in this game. He is a great guy and a great coach and I know he has been through a lot health wise the past few years. I knew him as a position coach when I played at Western some 30 years ago. He has a great passion for the game, has coached under some great football minds in his career as a collegiate coach and what he has done the past few seasons at Cherokee is a testament to his character and ability as a coach.

With that said I grew up in the county that borders Duplin to the north (Wayne). Duplin County football is good hard hitting football and has been for a long time. They have 3 of their 4 schools in the State Championship this season and the team that is not (James Kenan) won a State Championship just a couple years ago. I remember that ND team from I believe 82 with Ralph Britt who became a TE at NC State, Anthony Jernigan, and a RB (I forgot his name) but could fly. Those guys could hit!!!!

I respect the SMC. It is a great conference that now and historically has been an example of hard nose hard hitting football but you are not the only ones that can hit. Best of luck to both teams tomorrow. On a personal note my prayers go out to Coach Briggs and his family. He is a winner and win or lose tomorrow I know he can win the other battle he is fighting.

ND won the Class A State Title in 1972. Could be their time again but maybe it is East Duplin's time. They are in the title game in 2A this year and if they win all 4 high schools in Duplin County would have won a State Title. How many counties with more than one High School (ie. Scotland and RIchmond) can claim that?

Goodnight posters. A very pissed off Cherokee team showed up to Raleigh. May the best team win

I hate to sound like a prick but I'm very confident about our boys bein able to hit very hard!! Nd may get tha win but they aint gonna go 4 quarters gettin up askin for more!! Got 50 bucks sayin they won't fight for yards tha whole game, they'll start slidin and steppin outta bounds before tha games done!!! Hope our physacallity turns into points!!! See unz in tha mornin!!!! GO BRAVES!!! SMC!!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL 3 DUPLIN COUNTY TEAMS PLAYING TODAY AND KEEP IT ROLLING REBELS!!!

Reactions: DCGent1992
Wooooooo hoooooooo!!!! Woooooo!!! Let's match these young men up at center ground and settle this an old Cherokee way!!!! Believe we're tired of not havin 1!!!!!!! Guess after today you can stop with beatin around tha bush jh60, you'll be able to just come out and say, we kicked your butt!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT