ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Gibbons vs Chambers 4A State Championship game

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
13-2 Cardinal Gibbons will take on 14-1 Chambers for the 4A State title. Chambers is looking for 3 Titles in a row. Chambers defeated Cardinal Gibbons 35-29 early in the season. Game day Dec. 11 at Carter Finley Stadium N.C. State. Game time 7pm. Any thoughts with this game.

13-2 Cardinal Gibbons will take on 14-1 Chambers for the 4A State title. Chambers is looking for 3 Titles in a row. Chambers defeated Cardinal Gibbons 35-29 early in the season. Game day Dec. 11 at Carter Finley Stadium N.C. State. Game time 7pm. Any thoughts with this game.
Chambers was up 3 scores in the first meeting .. before the 3 hour weather delay . Chambers had to sit on the bus for 3 hours with no food. Then the game resumes after midnight and Gibbons came out with a purpose and Chambers kids were weary . Didn’t get back to Charlotte until 4am.
Chambers wins this game handily

Chambers was up 3 scores in the first meeting .. before the 3 hour weather delay . Chambers had to sit on the bus for 3 hours with no food. Then the game resumes after midnight and Gibbons came out with a purpose and Chambers kids were weary . Didn’t get back to Charlotte until 4am.
Chambers wins this game handily
Of we going what if’s….. Chambers only had had 2 real scoring drives. First TD was on a miffed snap kicked to end zone by Qb trying to fall on it 1Q, second TD ball slips and goes into DL belly inside red zone 1Q. Third was a 5 yard run after a 50 yard pass- CG screwed up 10 men on field no safety2Q. So yeah CG that was down 21 points BEFORE the rain delay. In the end, CG had ball down 5 on the 50, 2min, 3 timeouts, drove to the 30 and penalties killed the drive. Not saying CG would have won but let’s not start a false narrative. They all sat and concession stands were not open and there was no food truck at CG locker room

Reactions: crusaders13
Of we going what if’s….. Chambers only had had 2 real scoring drives. First TD was on a miffed snap kicked to end zone by Qb trying to fall on it 1Q, second TD ball slips and goes into DL belly inside red zone 1Q. Third was a 5 yard run after a 50 yard pass- CG screwed up 10 men on field no safety2Q. So yeah CG that was down 21 points BEFORE the rain delay. In the end, CG had ball down 5 on the 50, 2min, 3 timeouts, drove to the 30 and penalties killed the drive. Not saying CG would have won but let’s not start a false narrative. They all sat and concession stands were not open and there was no food truck at CG locker room
Those don’t sound like what ifs .. that sounds like things that happen in football game .. my point was that Gibbons was about be losing big before the weather delay. Props to them for finishing strong but ….

Those don’t sound like what ifs .. that sounds like things that happen in football game .. my point was that Gibbons was about be losing big before the weather delay. Props to them for finishing strong but ….

If u wanna b the best...beat the best...and if u get ur ass whooped I don't wanna hear no if..buts..or what ifs..take this asswhooping like the others and shake hands afterwards. I have no I'll will or disrespect towards Gibbons they are a talented well coached team...again I say like I've said many times b4...they're jus in the way that's all! Good luck because we're coming!!

38-28 Chambers. Yes it is true It’s hard to beat a team twice n both teams have gotten better but Chambers has had some close game and or trailed and got the job done. They are 2nd half comeback team.

I do think this will be a good game but I think chambers breaks it open 2nd half

38-28 Chambers. Yes it is true It’s hard to beat a team twice n both teams have gotten better but Chambers has had some close game and or trailed and got the job done. They are 2nd half comeback team.

I do think this will be a good game but I think chambers breaks it open 2nd half
At some point Chambers is going to need to play a complete game. You can’t keep depending on second half comebacks.

At some point Chambers is going to need to play a complete game. You can’t keep depending on second half comebacks.
No that's called adjustments...knowing ferebee and the culture there's no way he's gonna have them come out half stepping then tell them 2 step it up...it's called coming in with a gameplan...other team comes out with there's then adjusting to what the opponent is doing to win the game. U gotta remember this is a young team..says a lot that u can't get these young kids to listen and trust the system. Plus with this being the last game I doubt they they gonna come out NOT ready.

Last edited:
No that's called adjustments...knowing ferebee and the culture there's no way he's gonna have them come out half stepping then tell them 2 step it up...it's called coming in with a gameplan...other team comes out with there's then adjusting to what the opponent is doing to win the game. U gotta remember this is a young team..says a lot that u can't get these young kids to listen and trust the system. Plus with this being the last game I doubt they they gonna come out NOT ready.
I gotcha. Just sayin.... Anyway good luck to Chambers and get that third one!

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
It's supposed to be a raining day on Friday and Saturday. The run game is going to be very important.

We're more than 36 hrs away and I've ran into a statement on another site that has me wondering...does money for coaching makes a difference?

"Gibbons has the best coaching staff in the state. The most continuity because they pay the most. Their defensive coordinator is the best defensive coach in the state."

Any thoughts?

We're more than 36 hrs away and I've ran into a statement on another site that has me wondering...does money for coaching makes a difference?

"Gibbons has the best coaching staff in the state. The most continuity because they pay the most. Their defensive coordinator is the best defensive coach in the state."

Any thoughts?
It definitely matters. Money for coaches definitely matters. Its not a guarantee of winning big but it matters.

Think Chambers is the best staff in state. Them or Dudley. Gibbons possibly 3rd? Hard to gauge. But think it will be a very well coached game. Chambers has the edge to me. They thrive in environments like this. This team seems like the 97-98 Bulls. Last Dance type..... Chambers should enjoy tomorrow and their historic run. Think this is the last ship for this group.

If you are looking at the best coaching staffs in the state there are several you can argue over. But in no order in 4A the best staffs in the state are

Chambers
East Forsyth
Gibbons
Catholic
Weddington
Wake Forest
Hoggard
Butler
ect ect ect

Now if classification is not a thing you have to look at the Shelbys and Reidsvilles of the world

If your in coaching to make $ to me that’s not why your coaching but Ofc $ always helps their a big difference from 65,000 a year to 110,000 a year but I believe Money has 0 part on if a staff is good or not - It’s about being on same page, having good communication and relationship and support etc but Only thing I can say $ does is It does keep people around longer and to stay but $ is last thing to me that coaching is about- it’s about the Kids

Biggest example is East Surry - They have a great staff but I’m sure since it’s a rural small school I doubt they get big time money

Reactions: 704CougarsDad
I jus found it funny that because one place might pay MORE that the coaching better. I feel like if a coach is good...they're good...only thing about the money is that they will keep them there longer..aka a bargaining chip at the table. As we well see with Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley etc in the ncaa..money doesn't matter..it's all about opportunities. We lost Aaron Brand and Carlos Richardson..one of the best Head coaches qnd ADs in the state to Sc....I'm willing to bet if NC and cms would have offered 6 figures they would have stayed guaranteed.

Not sure what Lucas and his staff make but I do not know how anyone can say they aren’t the best staff at least in the Raleigh area with what they have accomplished. It isn’t even close.

It definitely matters. Money for coaches definitely matters. Its not a guarantee of winning big but it matters.

Think Chambers is the best staff in state. Them or Dudley. Gibbons possibly 3rd? Hard to gauge. But think it will be a very well coached game. Chambers has the edge to me. They thrive in environments like this. This team seems like the 97-98 Bulls. Last Dance type..... Chambers should enjoy tomorrow and their historic run. Think this is the last ship for this group.
If money didnt matter Ton Knotts and Mike Palmieri would be coaching Independence and Mallard Creek...........Of course it matters. Now, both were great coaches making very little $$ for a very long time but sure it matters.

If you are looking at the best coaching staffs in the state there are several you can argue over. But in no order in 4A the best staffs in the state are

Chambers
East Forsyth
Gibbons
Catholic
Weddington
Wake Forest
Hoggard
Butler
ect ect ect

Now if classification is not a thing you have to look at the Shelbys and Reidsvilles of the world
It's easy to point out state powers with large drawing areas and assume the coaches are doing the deeds. I think there are much more talented coaches hidden in the trenches of some of the smaller powers in the state that are getting the most out of 0 star athletes.

Coaching 3 to 5 star recruits makes a coaches job much easier.

I am a little confused.. now I don't know what Gibbons pays for coaches... but typically the teacher scale at a parochial school is less than a public school. Anyone have any real data on this or is just more nonsense.
The salaries are set by the diocese if I am correct, Also, you can’t just be a coach, you have to be a member of the academic staff as well if I am correct. Being on faculty may provide some stability but it definitely does not make for a super well paid coach.

You must first defeat the best in order to become the best. It's a battle between two excellent squads.

Good luck to both

Looking at the forecast the thunderstorm/rain is going to start right around 7pm. I think they should delay the game until tomorrow. No one wants another rain delay after they've started playing.

Looking at the forecast the thunderstorm/rain is going to start right around 7pm. I think they should delay the game until tomorrow. No one wants another rain delay after they've started playing.
Oh lord not that again smh

They won't compete with the NFL.

I swear the weather has been trash more times than not during championship weekend for the past decade.

I swear the weather has been trash more times than not during championship weekend for the past decade.
The range of weather has been crazy. Everything from 75 degrees and Sunny to 15 degrees with 20 mile an hour winds. 2013 it poured rain all day. Scotland- Dudley was in a monsoon for most of it.

Reactions: ForsythCo
I know the wind is whipping up where I’m at. Have to wander how much this will effect the game. Really bad situation of Kentucky and other areas.

The range of weather has been crazy. Everything from 75 degrees and Sunny to 15 degrees with 20 mile an hour winds. 2013 it poured rain all day. Scotland- Dudley was in a monsoon for most of it.
I was there. My GOD those puddles on that field. I walked on the field after the Havelock game and it was fine. That wasn't the case an hour later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT