ADVERTISEMENT

13-2 Weddington vs 14-1 Hoggard 4A State Championship game

I know we won 3 B4 TD ever came around to your None . The school has nothing to do with it. Keep running coaches off y’all will never win one.
Still avoiding that main point though aren’t we…it’s easy to deflect when you have a legit P5 adoption agency. You won plenty in 3A, but opened an adoption agency to get one in 4A. Congrats on the championship, but everyone respected the old Warrior way better…your AD even stood up at the County AD meeting after it went down and asked all the ADs in attendance if they wanted him, because Weddington didn’t want him…the lie detector proved that to be a lie haha

Last edited:
Congrats to Weddington. They were not only more talented but played better and took advantage of their mismatches. Hoggard could bot run the ball and became 1 dem and didnt have a good matchup for 11. They also couldn’t get much pressure on the QB which was a must for them. Weddington looks like an all star team and is very well coached. They have a lot of young talent and will be very good next year too. This blow out is not representative of how special this years team was. I read all the posts about how much better the West is and thats fair but it really comes down to matchups when two really good teams are playing and that showed up in this game. Hoggard beat some very good teams this year and played thru some challenges And it was a great ride.

I don’t understand the P5 adoption talk with Weddington, although the run was impressive, they did lose twice. They weren’t the most talented team in the state but the had a great mix of talent, size, coaching. I do view Weddington like Hough or Myers Park from several years ago. I am curious to see who comes back next year. I would imagine Grimsley, Butler and Indy will be among the favorites next season.

Reactions: onioncfb
I don’t understand the P5 adoption talk with Weddington, although the run was impressive, they did lose twice. They weren’t the most talented team in the state but the had a great mix of talent, size, coaching. I do view Weddington like Hough or Myers Park from several years ago. I am curious to see who comes back next year. I would imagine Grimsley, Butler and Indy will be among the favorites next season.
It is next man up for weddington, they will be very good again. Congested area tons of people tons of kids to choose from. Plus plenty of transfers, but thats anywhere now that's winning lol.

I would like to see the starting lineups listed for the Charlotte Big 4 and Catholic (Christian, Country Day, Latin, Providence Day) and what district those players live in.

I would like to see the starting lineups listed for the Charlotte Big 4 and Catholic (Christian, Country Day, Latin, Providence Day) and what district those players live in.
Latin is a joke at football now and country day too i believe.

It is next man up for weddington, they will be very good again. Congested area tons of people tons of kids to choose from. Plus plenty of transfers, but thats anywhere now that's winning lol.
There aren’t tons of transfers . There are no apartments and next to no place to rent . It makes it pretty tough to just drop in the district for a year or 2.
I would like to see the starting lineups listed for the Charlotte Big 4 and Catholic (Christian, Country Day, Latin, Providence Day) and what district those players live in

We lost a lot of players to the privates the last several years. Many are staying home now.

Because TD adopted a kid who didn't need to be adopted simply so he could go play at Weddington...would he have done it if the kid didn't have P5 talent? I think we all know the answer to that. #11 tried to transfer to Monroe before Weddington and was denied by the county...can't deny a legal adoption though.

Reactions: KW23
That is a phrase from collegegrad42 , a Marvin guy, it refers to #11. Thomas Davis lives in the district and his son is on the team. He legally adopted #11 and he came to Weddington this year from Cuthbertson. Not saying I agree with it but you can’t control what parents decide to do for their kids.

Private schools don't have district lines...that is like saying I wanna compare what orange juice and apple juice taste like. Although, Catholic is a little different than the other ones you listed, they are restricted to a 25 mile radius around their parish I think. Others on here could tell you the exact requirements.

That is a phrase from collegegrad42 , a Marvin guy, it refers to #11. Thomas Davis lives in the district and his son is on the team. He legally adopted #11 and he came to Weddington this year from Cuthbertson. Not saying I agree with it but you can’t control what parents decide to do for their kids.
Oooooffffff, please don't ever call me a Marvin guy haha. That is the furthest thing from the truth...I despise Orange. Just an observer from Union County, that is all.

Private schools don't have district lines...that is like saying I wanna compare what orange juice and apple juice taste like. Although, Catholic is a little different than the other ones you listed, they are restricted to a 25 mile radius around their parish I think. Others on here could tell you the exact requirements.
You missed the point of my post. onion understood my thoughts. I have been fairly knowledgeable over the years about high school football and components such eligibility related to residency, districting, guardianship, et al.

I was referencing what school the footballer is districted to for his residence. Example, if there are two elite linemen and a four star receiver playing at a private that would be at Indy or Butler how does that change things for them. The privates have really good line play but not a lot of depth there. Many of the really good publics would like different teams with two big linemen added to the roster.

Been a curiosity when I see a really good team that I know the district has a lot of students in private schools. Providence, South Meck, and Myers Park were always ones that stood out. Weddington, Cuthbertson, Marvin Ridge, and probably Sun Valley are schools that may see more students at privates now as their districts have grown with a lot of high priced housing.

Reactions: collegegrad42
We lost a lot of players to the privates the last several years. Many are staying home now.
Successful program and a good academic school makes it an easier decision for the parent/student. Providence Day is nearly $35k a year and the only money to offset the tuition is "need based" and the NC government money.

Successful program and a good academic school makes it an easier decision for the parent/student. Providence Day is nearly $35k a year and the only money to offset the tuition is "need based" and the NC government money.
Gotcha, that is very true. I remember that was the case for Weddington, as I think that Steph Curry lived in their district. I can tell you what made the situation even worse is that #11 and his parents worked to get the previous coach at Cuthbertson fired and get the current coach hired because that is who they wanted to play for, and still got "Adopted" to leave an play for Weddington. Legally, nothing the county can do about it, but they took every opportunity to rub it in the counties face throughout the season.

The whole conversation is stupid and has been for years. High level kids transfer into high level programs across the state. It happens everywhere in every sport. Might actually be worse now in female sports. Cox Mill has lost the AD, principal all due to massive issues with volleyball.

Wedding has at least 5 kids with power 5 D1 offers. That is great! The MEC which Hoggard is in doesnt have that many with all schools combined. There is D1 talent all around the conference in Whiteville, Clinton, Wallace. In some districts kids from those areas could still enroll at a school like Hoggard and still live elsewhere. NH Co will not let that happen. Many kids want to come to Hoggard because they have such a great program but they would have to move. It does make it difficult to compete year after year against schools that do not have the same rules. I do not know if all the Weddington kids live within their lines. I know there is a lot of D1 talent at Weddington, Butler, and Indy. Same thing in Wake Forest. You have 3 schools that year in and year out pop out 4-7 high end D1 kids. Thats 12-20 kids a year. Thats crazy!

Reactions: FB fan 92
Gotcha, that is very true. I remember that was the case for Weddington, as I think that Steph Curry lived in their district. I can tell you what made the situation even worse is that #11 and his parents worked to get the previous coach at Cuthbertson fired and get the current coach hired because that is who they wanted to play for, and still got "Adopted" to leave an play for Weddington. Legally, nothing the county can do about it, but they took every opportunity to rub it in the counties face throughout the season.
The Curry's lived in Greenwood which is about 1/2 mile from Highway 51 down Providence Rd. Pretty sure they were still there when he was a senior in high school. That would be the Providence HS district.

Reactions: collegegrad42
I saw where the county approved open enrollment only to schools with capacity for next year. I think that would be Piedmont , Parkwood, Monroe, and Forest Hills.

I saw where the county approved open enrollment only to schools with capacity for next year. I think that would be Piedmont , Parkwood, Monroe, and Forest Hills.
Union County is about to redraw the district lines. That's part of the reason the new Forest Hills High School under construction is being built bigger than currently needed. Plus more growth is expected along the By-Pass all the way down to Forest Hills where it ends. FH has 922 students now but should be well over 1000 in the next few years.

Because TD adopted a kid who didn't need to be adopted simply so he could go play at Weddington...would he have done it if the kid didn't have P5 talent? I think we all know the answer to that. #11 tried to transfer to Monroe before Weddington and was denied by the county...can't deny a legal adoption though.
🤔 seems like you have insider information based on your posts in this thread. Seems like you know more than most…. or at least you think you know more than most.

🤔 seems like you have insider information based on your posts in this thread. Seems like you know more than most…. or at least you think you know more than most.
Everyone who doesn’t bury their head in Union County knows this information. Well maybe not the County AD meeting part, but the rest is common knowledge. I have lots of friends at lots of schools, so I do get a lot of information, but this one isn’t secret.

Everyone who doesn’t bury their head in Union County knows this information. Well maybe not the County AD meeting part, but the rest is common knowledge. I have lots of friends at lots of schools, so I do get a lot of information, but this one isn’t secret.
Ahh…you know a guy. Why would it even come up in the county AD meeting? And would you be upset if the same situation happened and the kid went to your school? Which by the way…. Who do you pull for in Union County?

Ahh…you know a guy. Why would it even come up in the county AD meeting? And would you be upset if the same situation happened and the kid went to your school? Which by the way…. Who do you pull for in Union County?
It came up because schools were upset that a transfer was denied, and a kid who didn’t need to be adopted was adopted simply to go play for a different school in the county haha if you don’t know why ADs in the county may be upset with that, I got nothing for you. I also said I know multiple guys and gals for that matter.

It came up because schools were upset that a transfer was denied, and a kid who didn’t need to be adopted was adopted simply to go play for a different school in the county haha if you don’t know why ADs in the county may be upset with that, I got nothing for you. I also said I know multiple guys and gals for that matter.
That doesn’t answer my question if you would be upset if he went to your school instead of Weddington? They are talented. With or without him. Would still love to know who you pull for in Union county. Sounds like you are employed by the county too with all this inside information.

• Haha
That doesn’t answer my question if you would be upset if he went to your school instead of Weddington? They are talented. With or without him. Would still love to know who you pull for in Union county. Sounds like you are employed by the county too with all this inside information.
You think only employees have inside information like that? Not a chance. I cheer for every school in Union County except the orange one. I don’t have a school, so can’t accurately answer to that point. All I want is an even playing field, and not every school has a former nfl player who has adopted 4 kids that attend Weddington with 3 of them being legit P5 football players.

You think only employees have inside information like that? Not a chance. I cheer for every school in Union County except the orange one. I don’t have a school, so can’t accurately answer to that point. All I want is an even playing field, and not every school has a former nfl player who has adopted 4 kids that attend Weddington with 3 of them being legit P5 football players.
Don’t think he adopted four kids… and two are his nephews. Plus one already had offers and committed before he even came to Weddington. And what’s wrong with orange?!

Don’t think he adopted four kids… and two are his nephews. Plus one already had offers and committed before he even came to Weddington. And what’s wrong with orange?!
Maybe do a little more research on that one, might be surprised by what you find, although I’m sure #11 has gone back to live with mom and the adoption reversed at this point, or maybe he has to stay there through the end of the semester to keep his eligibility haha. The only school in the county that is orange happens to be the one I don’t cheer for. Nothing more, nothing less. And if one already had offers, wasn’t committed before the transfer though, one has to wonder why he needed to be adopted?!? Like I said, not a level playing field for all teams in the county.

Last edited:
Maybe do a little more research on that one, might be surprised by what you find, although I’m sure #11 has gone back to live with mom and the adoption reversed at this point, or maybe he has to stay there through the end of the semester to keep his eligibility haha. The only school in the county that is orange happens to be the one I don’t cheer for. Nothing more, nothing less. And if one already had offers, wasn’t committed before the transfer though, one has to wonder why he needed to be adopted?!? Like I said, not a level playing field for all teams in the county.
You’re right. It’s not a level playing field. Same thing happens on the eastern side of the county but you don’t ever hear about that.

You’re right. It’s not a level playing field. Same thing happens on the eastern side of the county but you don’t ever hear about that.
I had no idea that "adoptions" were such a prevalent issue in the county. Could you point out other examples of this. Feel like it it something more people would be interested in knowing about.

I had no idea that "adoptions" were such a prevalent issue in the county. Could you point out other examples of this. Feel like it it something more people would be interested in knowing about.
It is no different than the kids who flip between Monroe and Forest Hills. No one seems to talk about the dozens that have flipped between the two.

It is no different than the kids who flip between Monroe and Forest Hills. No one seems to talk about the dozens that have flipped between the two.
Nobody calling out anything that goes on at Monroe, I definitely agree with you on that one. I think the difference is both of those schools are "Schools of Choice" that are designated by the county which means if they have room and you can get yourself to school, you can choose to go there. Parkwood and Piedmont also fall into those categories from my understanding.

I meant to say I don’t view Weddington like Hough or Myers Park. I think someone mentioned the power shift is moving back south in Charlotte Mecklenburg (Butler, Indy, Weddington) being relatively close to each other. I didn’t believe it when it was said earlier in the year but I believe it now.

It is not an "adoption" but a legal guardianship process that goes through the family court system for a final sign off.

This is what South Meck did with their quarterback in 2007. New AD completed the paperwork as directed by CMS. Did not get the signature through family court which was the only thing required. SM was forced to forfeit the season prior to leaving for their first round playoff game. The mother of the student had cancer and he was moving in with his grandparents. Had attended SM district schools prior to the family moving down east and then back to Union County.

The Curry's lived in Greenwood which is about 1/2 mile from Highway 51 down Providence Rd. Pretty sure they were still there when he was a senior in high school. That would be the Providence HS district.
think the Curry's went to Charlotte Christian

Reactions: Champ_24
I also noticed that Weddington had a large drone hovering at midfield during an entire game, probably filming. Isn’t in game drone usage illegal?

Several years ago the NCHSAA banned them during games but it was due to safety concerns. Not sure if there were any parameters on the area it cannot fly. The end zone and press box cameras are the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT