ADVERTISEMENT

Statesville at Crest

Champ_24

Jul 25, 2003
The preseason matchup everyone was talking about looks like it'll happen in the playoffs. Think I may take a trip to "Da Ranch" this Friday. I'm alil surprised/disappointed in Statesville's seed but interested to see how the young Greyhounds play in a hostile environment. So what are the matchups?? Crest a running team, passing, balanced attack? How about their defense? Strong against the run? Pass? Veteran team or young team? Looking forward to this game.

Crest is young, but I grew up hearing nothing but hatred about the greyhounds in the 80's. Hopefully its payback time.

Reactions: NC Joker
Could be a good game. Statesville is young but starting to get into their grove. I think Statesville is another year or so of being a really good team. As for this matchup. I’m just going to sit back and watch how it turns out.

If Statesville has a good secondary it might be a long night for the Chargers. The Chargers defense sometimes struggles to put 3 good plays in a row together on defense. Lately the Chargers really struggle in the first quarter. It’s a new season and hopefully the Chargers can come out smoking in the first quarter.

Last edited:
Love this time of year. Looking at match-ups, numbers, digging into schedules, watching film, all that good stuff. Some numbers on Crest/Statesville that I could find. Not sure how up-to-date.

Statesville
L 4-6 South Iredell 13-29
L 7-3 Lake Norman 14-35
L 10-0 East Lincoln 7-28

W 5-5 Carson 30-0
W 4-6 North Lincoln 15-9
W 0-10 Fred T Foard 49-13
W 1-9 West Iredell 16-0
W 2-8 North Iredell 43-13
W 4-6 St Stephens 30-14
W 7-3 Hickory 20-14

Offense
QB Phoenix Lawrence
767 P 6 TD 187 R 4 TD
RB Justin Davidson
325 R 4 TD
RB Zaki Lackey
276 R 1 TD
WR Titus Myers
431 Re 4 TD
WR Steven Smith
159 Re 2 TD
WR Jaylen Homes
157 Re 1 TD

Defense
Kemari Daniels
42 Tackles
Keidron Dukes
46 Tackles
Zaki Lackey
25 Tackles
Jeremiah Heaggans
30 Tackles

Team
4 Sacks
9 INT

Average 24 PPG

Crest
L 9-1 Burns 12-35
L 9-1 South Point 13-35
L 10-0 Kings Mtn 20-35

W 6-4 Freedom 40-22
W 6-4 Shelby 54-49
W 4-6 Ashbrook 33-17
W 4-6 Cramer 54-28
W 0-10 North Gaston 73-6
W 4-6 Forestview 51-7
W 3-7 Hunter Huss 40-0

Offense
QB Nytavious Huskey
2435 P 32 TD 585 R 8 TD
RB Aiden Carson
667 R 4 TD
RB Anton Lewis
192 R 1 TD
WR Javarious Green
1076 Re 15 TD
WR Malachi Addison
536 Re 7 TD
WR AJ Adams
428 Re 7 TD
WR Tijay Borders
175 Re 1 TD

Defense
Dezmun Porter
82 Tackles
Kohle Crocker
79 Tackles
Dae Dae Pettis
68 Tackles
Lyrik Pettis
61 Tackles

Team
28 Sacks
10 INT

Average 39 PPG

Reactions: Kylar2018
Statesville comes in having won 5 straight.

Crest is coming off of a tough defeat to KM.

I think Crest has played the better competition but Statesville looks like they are playing their best football. Statesville's offense seems to have struggled scoring when they have played better teams. The teams that have beaten Crest have been able to shorten the game and limit positions. Will be interesting to see if Statesville tries to do this. Can be tough if it's something your not used to doing.

Long time Crest fans have some tough feelings about Statesville from back in the day.

Looking forward to Friday night.

Statesville comes in having won 5 straight.

Crest is coming off of a tough defeat to KM.

I think Crest has played the better competition but Statesville looks like they are playing their best football. Statesville's offense seems to have struggled scoring when they have played better teams. The teams that have beaten Crest have been able to shorten the game and limit positions. Will be interesting to see if Statesville tries to do this. Can be tough if it's something your not used to doing.

Long time Crest fans have some tough feelings about Statesville from back in the day.

Looking forward to Friday night.
Do you know why they have tough feelings towards them? This isn’t the first time I have heard this but just curious to know why.

Do you know why they have tough feelings towards them? This isn’t the first time I have heard this but just curious to know why.
I’m a long time Crest fan. I know the reason. But it’s so long ago it would seem silly. But those who remember can’t stand them or the refs from the game who are likely dead or close to it.

Statesville is on the list of teams real Crest fans would pull for the Taliban if the two teams played.

I’m a long time Crest fan. I know the reason. But it’s so long ago it would seem silly. But those who remember can’t stand them or the refs from the game who are likely dead or close to it.

Statesville is on the list of teams real Crest fans would pull for the Taliban if the two teams played.
It must’ve been a big game that had a lot on the line.

I would be suprised if Statesville won they are just way too young and there offense is not close to what it has been in years past. The defense has had improvement with some of those young fellas growing up. Statesville is pretty quick and athletic in some skill positions and got some decent size on the lines . They could hang around and suprise, or really get there butt handed to them . You just never know which greyhound team will show up.

Level of competition and playing at home sure gives Crest a leg up... But I talked to one of the parents who's kid plays for Statesville and they told me it was such a great win against Hickory... It was the way it went down (The flow of the game)... They told me Statesville faced so many obstacles and overcame all of them... They also told me it brought the team together for the better... We'll see how this unfold!!!!!

Crest loses have come from teams with a combined 28-2 record and each team scored exactly 35 points..with that being said Crest can’t give up 35 and have a great chance to win..Crest can’t have a sloppy start and must take what the defense gives them to start the game.

Crest loses have come from teams with a combined 28-2 record and each team scored exactly 35 points..with that being said Crest can’t give up 35 and have a great chance to win..Crest can’t have a sloppy start and must take what the defense gives them to start the game.
What we need is the Crest team that played the second half with KM. I don’t care what anyone says that team gives us a shot in any game. Not saying they win every game just have a shot.

This year has been satisfying. No moral victories I know but a glorified JV team is growing up before our eyes. Whatever was said at the halftime of that game worked. They did not quit. Overmatched ,outsized, and the worst first quarter they’ve played all year. They did not quit. When the talent catches up with the heart. It’s going to be fun.

Looking at film of Crest. This is going to be a war!!! Statesville was predicted to lose by 10 to Hickory last week. Was up 20-0 with 7:47 left in the game. If Statesville can play a clean game. I like our chances alot. Crest Jr Qb husky is a gamer. I like #3 alot.

Any places to eat your Crest guts recommend?

Looking at film of Crest. This is going to be a war!!! Statesville was predicted to lose by 10 to Hickory last week. Was up 20-0 with 7:47 left in the game. If Statesville can play a clean game. I like our chances alot. Crest Jr Qb husky is a gamer. I like #3 alot.

3? He’s a good one but the one to really watch is 6. He probably didn’t do much on the film you watched because he was double or tripled covered.

You going to that game?

I would be suprised if Statesville won they are just way too young and there offense is not close to what it has been in years past. The defense has had improvement with some of those young fellas growing up. Statesville is pretty quick and athletic in some skill positions and got some decent size on the lines . They could hang around and suprise, or really get there butt handed to them . You just never know which greyhound team will show up.
I agree. Statesville just too young. Next 2-3 years will be interesting. They got something going, just too young right now.
Crest 24
Statesville 20

Not sure what Statesville runs offensively but if they are a side to side team, crest has the speed to run them down andake it a long night. I only saw them in person 1 time this year at huss and it seemed the struggled more if you ran down hill right at them i.e. traps, iso, zone read the dive was usually killer. Huss had close to 200 yards on the ground. They got crest to multiple 3rd downs just couldn't get off the field. Believe me im not saying huss was any where in that game or should have won but they have athletes everywhere and a line that goes both ways. The teams the lost 2 sp downhill run game km downhill run game burns last i saw of them they were more downhill then side to side. I like Crest in this game but i believe they can be beat given the right opportunity

I remember Statesville playing Shelby in a regional final back in the day at Shelby. Statesville had a stud middle linebacker who made tackles all over the field. Shelby won a good defensive game and went on to play Burlington Cummings in state championship.

We need to get this game back on schedule. On an annual basis
Be hard to do. Crest is going to play Burns and Shelby out of conference every year. The only way to do it would be the first game. We played Freedom this year and I can’t confirm this but there was word Crest and Gaffney we’re trying to get together game 1. That’d be tough but good teams play up to get better.

I’m looking forward to seeing Statesville. It’s been awhile. If they are young and athletic as you say it should be a great game because you can describe Crest in the exact same way.

Stay safe coming down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT