ADVERTISEMENT

NSJ 25 Clinton 21 final

Darkhorse#34

Jul 30, 2006
Thats a tough one Clinton had the lead inside 5 mins got backed up on our side of the field had to punt NSJ had a big return which lead to a NS TD that final drive just went to slow took to much time and threw a interception inside the 5.....alot of penalties some questionable officiating, and defense just could not get off the field on 3rd down.....0-3 but i feel alot better about how we fought tonight proud of this team we are alot better than our record....open this Friday before we travel to Southern Lee next week

Kinda reminds me of my senior year good team just lost alot of close games

33-25 vs Wallace
21-18 vs East Bladen
21-18 vs East Duplin
13-9 vs Northside Jax

Wel all knew we were better than our record and when we put it all together it took us to State losing to Cummings 48-20 but it just goes to show its never too late to turn the season around......this current Clinton team is 5-10 plays and a few stupid penalties away from being 2-1 maybe even 3-0.....definitely think Southern lee is a must win cause at worse we finish 5-5 and atleast get a chance to create some postseason magic.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I agree with you never to late to turn it around especially who you play. As you mentioned in 2005 the Horses started out 1-3 and won out winning the state championship. The following year 2006 they started out 3-5 and then won 7 straight losing in the state championship game. I think this 2017 team is still capable of finding themselves and when I say that i mean scrap the spread, the shotgun, etc, and just play DarkHorse T formation football. Thats where our successful experience has akways been, particularly our qb. No need trying to change things his senior year particularly when I dont think we have the personnel to tun it. but we do have the personnel to run the familiar, and we looked very good in the second half running it. I'm not going to say officiating caused defeat, but it was one of the worst officiated games I've seen at any level in along time. They simply must not have been able to see. It was unreal at times. but the Horses had their chances. They've got 2 weeks to reinvent/rediscover themselves. 0-3 doesnt scare me, I'm foolish enough to think they can still have a successful season because I see some very good athletes out there and I'm confident in our coaching.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
That catch and fumble call had me furious it was simply a incomplete pass.....in college and pros they talk about the whole did he make a football move thing....well no football move was made WR dropped that pass immediately....if reply existed in High school football that would have been overturned easily.....missed a illegal sub play earlier in the game on a big 3rd down......but yea we had our chances made some subtle changes on the offensive line tonight and it made a difference i think we are starting to get our feet under us but we have played a tough schedule so far.... I honestly see us winning these next 5 games and going into the final two weeks and going into the WRH and ED games at 5-3 with a chance to compete for conference.....if this team sneaks into the playoffs we will be a tough out for any higher seed we happen to play

Feel alot better about the team going forward alot better than after that EB game....i saw effort out there i saw some fire....no such thing as a good lose but i could not be more proud of the way they fought back....if we cut out the mental errors that have plagued us we will be a very dangerous team.....like i said we are a couple of plays and a couple of penalties away from being 2-1 maybe even 3-0.....i believe Wallace is going to blow Northside out of the water this Friday

Wiz, did u watch how we scored our first TD? The spread opened up the running game. We didn't pass out of it, but didn't need too. We ran it down and around there throats. We did look good in T second half, but we also looked good in shotgun after 2-3 straight series in T where we went nowhere against a 10-11 guy in box front. Not saying spread is the answer, but tonight it loosened up the defense enough to allow us to score our first TD of the game. Then we decided to go back to T. Opinions are always different, maybe you saw something I didn't, what are your thoughts?

Reactions: Horses71
Wiz, did u watch how we scored our first TD? The spread opened up the running game. We didn't pass out of it, but didn't need too. We ran it down and around there throats. We did look good in T second half, but we also looked good in shotgun after 2-3 straight series in T where we went nowhere against a 10-11 guy in box front. Not saying spread is the answer, but tonight it loosened up the defense enough to allow us to score our first TD of the game. Then we decided to go back to T. Opinions are always different, maybe you saw something I didn't, what are your thoughts?

I like for us to continue to do both....like u said it helps going against those teams that just going to stack the box....i think the subtle changes on the offensive line helped tonight....think we may have a playmaker in Faison smaller guy but give him some room and his speed can make some plays for us....if we cut out the silly penalties and mental lapses definitely still time to turn this thing around....Southern Lee is solid but if we can pull that one out i could see us winning the next 4 games and rolling into the Wallace game with some good momentum amd looking to pull off some upsets

You guys have really good athletes. The spread would work somewhat for you guys. It was just predictable when you where in spread what you would do. I'd like to see you guys run more screens and jetsweeps out of the spread. The long ball won't be a thing but you are right it stops the box from being loaded, which affected us last night. Y'all have a solid squad and you are playing good teams. Good luck in conference and the rest of your season.

You guys have really good athletes. The spread would work somewhat for you guys. It was just predictable when you where in spread what you would do. I'd like to see you guys run more screens and jetsweeps out of the spread. The long ball won't be a thing but you are right it stops the box from being loaded, which affected us last night. Y'all have a solid squad and you are playing good teams. Good luck in conference and the rest of your season.

Thanks you guys got a good QB and some serious Weapons at WR. If u run that QB more, it could be a real nasty offense. Quick question, any idea why y'all tried an extra point at end of your last TD??? If you go for 2 and get it you make it a 6 point lead and IF we scored force us to at least make the XP. The xtra point only would've made it a 5 point game meaning nothing if we scored. Was just curious the logic behind it.

Thanks you guys got a good QB and some serious Weapons at WR. If u run that QB more, it could be a real nasty offense. Quick question, any idea why y'all tried an extra point at end of your last TD??? If you go for 2 and get it you make it a 6 point lead and IF we scored force us to at least make the XP. The xtra point only would've made it a 5 point game meaning nothing if we scored. Was just curious the logic behind it.
Honestly have no idea haha. I thought the same. And for our QB if you knew the kid and where he was a year ago you would never think of him to head the offense, but the progression I have seen from one summer at QB has been amazing. He is really figuring it out and I think they will utilize him more now. They just need to figure out the ins and outs of the offense. And our O-line is starting to figure it out. Big 70 is a great kid and has a bright future. But overall when we figure out how to completely run our offense, we will not be a fun team to play. Once again, good game last night

Look I didn't say don't throw the ball. You can therow it out of the t formation. Teams loading the box against us is nothing new. Its about excution. If you get 3 yards past the line of scrimmage there isn't anyone. The shotgun run, telegraphs what you're doing howerver deep in the backfie;ld you line up. With the t- there are several options where to insert the ball and its so much mor deceptive as wherre exactly the ball's going. Throw the quick slants, the screens, etc, but forget the deep ball.Its a waste of time. How many points did we score in the first half? We came out of the lockeroom playing DarkHorse football and looked like a different team. Some say the passing opens up the run. No effective pinpoint blocking opens up the run. Our special teams coverage is killing us too. The kicking is good but we just dont cover. I'm no coach but I as well as alot of us know Darkorse football and the history of what works.

Last year in the the regular season we beat Northside (without our best defensive player) 35-16 without attempting as single pass. In the playoffs we resorted going to a spread and lost 21-14.

Last year's team is much different than this year's team. Still hoping we get it turned around.

All im going to say is when this team finally puts it all together they may not win State but I definitely see us spoiling someone's season.....they sleeping on us now.....i really see us catching a few by surprise....and if we peak at the right time...hell it may be a repeat of 2005 and 2006

Wiz, did I say anything about passing? All I said was T can be hard to run against with 11 guys in the box. When we ran the ball out of shotgun, we at least had a better chance against 8 in the box than the 11 within 3-5yrds of the line of scrimmage. Personally I don't care if we never pass it again, and the deep pass into double coverage isn't a designed play either I'm sure. If you remember our first 3 possessions we were In T, we didn't pick up more than 1 first down on a single drive until we started running it out of the spread. I like the T, I like the spread. We have options, when it comes to running the ball. If we ever have to pass, no matter what formation, we're all but doomed at times. Teams dare us to pass, that's why they blitz so much with no help in the secondary. Not only do they think we can't block the blitz, they assume even if we do, we won't complete a pass anyway.

Wiz, did I say anything about passing? All I said was T can be hard to run against with 11 guys in the box. When we ran the ball out of shotgun, we at least had a better chance against 8 in the box than the 11 within 3-5yrds of the line of scrimmage. Personally I don't care if we never pass it again, and the deep pass into double coverage isn't a designed play either I'm sure. If you remember our first 3 possessions we were In T, we didn't pick up more than 1 first down on a single drive until we started running it out of the spread. I like the T, I like the spread. We have options, when it comes to running the ball. If we ever have to pass, no matter what formation, we're all but doomed at times. Teams dare us to pass, that's why they blitz so much with no help in the secondary. Not only do they think we can't block the blitz, they assume even if we do, we won't complete a pass anyway.
I dsagree with you 04, we run the ball better out of the T formation. 8-11 in the box? Whats new with that. The Horses have faced that for years. The running I saw from the spred thus far is haphazard. The t formation was the difference in the 2nd half last night. Exactly how many passes have we completed this year? The spreads not helping. Throw out of the T. At least the defense 's not expecting it. To be honest they're not expecting us to pass at all. Running from the spread? It's so easily visable its like slow motion.

Last edited:
I see what DH04 is hitting on yes most of the success last night came from the T but spreading them out doesn't exactly hurt defense is forced to take 2-3 guys out of the box a couple less guys you no longer have to block....but like Wiz said at the end of the day it all comes down to execution.....seen plays blown up 5 yards in the backfield due to missed assignments out of the spread and better defensive teams like Wallace and ED arent going to really respect it unless we complete a couple passes....think the offensive line did a much better job executing and staying on blocks last night.....if we gonna go down lets go down playing our style of football..i had high hopes for the hurry up spread this year but just doesn't seem to be coming together....i still like it for designed QB runs with (Clause)Williams maybe speed options with him and Faison

34; you've got to block no matter what offense you run. You mention 2005 and 2006. How much spread did the Horses run then? Very little to none.Heck they ran Nick Cooper, could point out the hole they were going to run and executed it. Do you think it was all Nick? It was textbook offensive line blocking.Of course Nick was a player too! Of course that was from the wing T but same difference..Clause? He can be a very effective rusher from the T; and can run the sprint pass,the option. Not knowing wheather he's going to run or pass and not seeing it acan be very dangerous for defenses.

Wiz your right you got to block....2005 and 2006 i feel alot of people fail to mention those linemen they were really good....that run Nick had in final minutes of the Eastern Championship against Northside was blocked to perfection....execution execution execution.....2005:Matthew,Daniel,Jim,Glen,Phillip,and JT were a great combination......Nick was a great running back but doesnt matter how good how fast how strong you still need some linemen leading the way...........this year obviously we dont have the size or strength on the line like we have had in the past but flawless execution will hide what we lack in thougha areas.....SWO made it to a state title game with a undersize line so its not impossible.....just got to execute

Wiz u win my friend. You got it all figured out. You keep responding to my posts with comments about passing, I still can't figure out where I said anything about throwing the football. Old schoolers automatically hear the word "spread" and think Mike Leach air raid, throw it 40x/game. That isn't what that is at all, it can be but it's not a definite. Ever watch Auburn? They run Spread, and rarely pass, it's just ISO left, ISO right, read option here and there. Ever watch Mike Bells offense when he was the Clinton JV coach? He was scoring 50pts/game running a spread set but running T out of shotgun, does that mean he threw it a lot NO, he barely passed. All my point was for the last time and I'm out, was that it's good to have multiple offensive sets to help give your offense options. Both sets worked well other night, T is our bread and butter but spreading them out to run it works ok also. We still didn't block well in Spread, but with fewer bodies in the box, AJ and Jaheim could make one guy miss and be able to run a few yards because the rest of the defense was chasing WR's running down field. I don't really care what we run, I'll just take a W.

Reactions: Darkhorse#34
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT