ADVERTISEMENT

Early top 5 3A West

1. Hickory
2. Dudley
3. West Charlotte
4. AC Reynolds

3A West is so strong, could probably go Crest, South Pointe, Kings Mountain or even Statesville at 5 and wouldn’t be wrong.
I think you are pretty spot on with your top 3 in the west especially early. The Dub-C will have great talent but I have to see what their offense looks like as the season progresses.

I think you are pretty spot on with your top 3 in the west especially early. The Dub-C will have great talent but I have to see what their offense looks like as the season progresses.
Think their offense takes two BIG steps forward this year. Nichols at QB is a BIG addition. Really opens up the passing game/threat. KD in slot/rb adds another dimension especially with the direct snap offense. If the RB comes through their offense could be the best since Greiner got at WC. The talent coming into WC now is on par with heavy hitter 4A teams. This is their year to win 3A.

Defensively they will take a step back IMHO. Lost some BIG time D1 guys on defense with J4 smith, Q Williams, Carmichael and solid Sr. Players Napier amd Wilson. Have some young guys but that defense was really good

Think their offense takes two BIG steps forward this year. Nichols at QB is a BIG addition. Really opens up the passing game/threat. KD in slot/rb adds another dimension especially with the direct snap offense. If the RB comes through their offense could be the best since Greiner got at WC. The talent coming into WC now is on par with heavy hitter 4A teams. This is their year to win 3A.

Defensively they will take a step back IMHO. Lost some BIG time D1 guys on defense with J4 smith, Q Williams, Carmichael and solid Sr. Players Napier amd Wilson. Have some young guys but that defense was really good
WC along with a handful of other 3A teams this year have huge advantages based simply off adm numbers. This is their last year in 3A so they better take advantage of it.

Didn’t WC elevate Chris Coleman to OC..

Yes CC is the OC. Think Littlejohn will have great input too. Also TJ Mixon is there and he was OC or helped with the offense alot past few years. They should be greatly improved on offense

If West Charlotte offense is up. Will they have anyone on defense that can step it up?

I just took a little Quick Look at last year’s adm numbers for 3A & 4A.
West Charlotte- 2008
West Meck- 1845
Southern Durham- 1750
Smithfield Selma- 1608
Freedom- 1574
Seventy First- 1571
Scotland County- 1568

The 3A programs that I listed are bigger than at least 22 current 4A schools and hold significant adm number advantages over their 3A counterparts. WC,SD, 71st, and Scotland all should be pretty good. Last season WC played Northeast Guilford adm#1109, Hibriten had an adm # of 959, and Crest with an adm # 1095. WC had double or pretty close to double adm #’s for each matchup of their playoff opponents.

I just took a little Quick Look at last year’s adm numbers for 3A & 4A.
West Charlotte- 2008
West Meck- 1845
Southern Durham- 1750
Smithfield Selma- 1608
Freedom- 1574
Seventy First- 1571
Scotland County- 1568

The 3A programs that I listed are bigger than at least 22 current 4A schools and hold significant adm number advantages over their 3A counterparts. WC,SD, 71st, and Scotland all should be pretty good. Last season WC played Northeast Guilford adm#1109, Hibriten had an adm # of 959, and Crest with an adm # 1095. WC had double or pretty close to double adm #’s for each matchup of their playoff opponents.
Misleading a bit. WC enrollment was capped while building a new school so for a while they were much smaller. Then after the new school the current fresh, and current soph classes make up about 65-70% of the student body. Meaning they let the school swell back up but they had more growth than expected. They only have one more year in 3A. Then they will be avg. To small 4A school

Misleading a bit. WC enrollment was capped while building a new school so for a while they were much smaller. Then after the new school the current fresh, and current soph classes make up about 65-70% of the student body. Meaning they let the school swell back up but they had more growth than expected. They only have one more year in 3A. Then they will be avg. To small 4A school
WC will be more than likely a large 7A or smaller 8A in the next realignment. I don’t blame WC for the adm size differential. The issue is when you do realignment every four years a lot can change from year 1 to year 4. At last realignment prior to year 1 WC begin at 3A ADM numbers but those numbers immediately jumped to 4A numbers right after realignment. The last two years Dub-C’s adm #’s continued to grow. I definitely think that the growth could have been easily projected in WC’s case. To be fair to WC, the Lions played their last couple of years in 4A with 3A numbers.

Last edited:
WC will be more than likely a large 7A or smaller 8A in the next realignment. I don’t blame WC for the adm size differential. The issue is when you do realignment every four years a lot can change from year 1 to year 4. At last realignment prior to year 1 WC begin at 3A ADM numbers but those numbers immediately jumped to 4A numbers right after realignment. The last two years Dub-C’s adm #’s continued to grow. I definitely think that the growth could have been easily projected in WC’s case. To be fair to WC, the Lions played their last couple of years in 4A with 3A numbers.
Don't think it could have been predicted. Their adm was 3A playing in 4A for about 4-5 years. The new school, CMS athletics crackdown, refocus on academics, and the football team becoming good again have spurred growth at the school. Outside of football WC sports are way down and have been way down for years regardless of 3A or 4A low adm or high adm.

Most of the larger 4A schools are not really good at football so adm helps but does not guarantee success. Coaches, athletes, parents and community support dictate success

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT