ADVERTISEMENT

Grimsley at Weddington on Black Friday

I'm going with Grimsley. I think Weddington is an explosive and dangerous team, but I just think Grimsley is that plus more. I believe they have the best offense in the state as well. Just like the Hough game, I expect the defense to make enough stops to give Grimsley a two TD win. That Marvin Ridge loss for Weddington just doesn't sit right with me either. What the heck happened?

But the game is played on the field and it should be a great match regardless.

Reactions: Ukcatz92
You know I’ve got the Whirlies. By 1 or 2 tds. This offense is a juggernaut. Stack the box, they will throw it to the NC state and UNC WR, take away the pass and Summers will kill you. Not to mention a Soph QB who is getting better every week (37tds 3 int) Pick your poison. I’ve got Grimsley 42-28 type game

I was impressed with Weddington win over Charlotte Catholic by shutting them down with the defense like they did. Grimsley game turned out about what I thought it would be. I could see Weddington defense slowing down Grimsley offense down some but not much. I like Grimsley chances in this one.

This is a rematch of last years regional final where Grimsley prevailed 28-27, except this time it is in Matthews. Can the Whirlies take their game on the road into a hostile environment? Do the Warriors have a big fan base that will turnout on a Thanksgiving Friday? I will bet over a 1000 Grimsley fans will show up, each holding a turkey leg!

Reactions: ForsythCo
As of right now, this one looks like a tossup. But, I'll give Weddington a slight edge because they're at home.

I am taking Weddington, last year’s game was a toss up with Grimsley winning by a point but really entertaining.

I think Weddington is the best offense Grimsley will face so far this year. Some people point to Rolesville but Butler’s defense held them to 14 points, one TD was due to a short field because of a turnover. I remember Weddington being more balanced in their offensive attack and gave Butler some fits. I think if Hough can put up points against Grimsley, Weddington won’t have trouble scoring.

Defensively I think Weddington is solid and will have to adjust to the explosiveness of Grimsley. If I was Weddington I would chew the clock to limit the possessions of the Grimsley offense. Keep that defense as fresh as possible.

There was some controversy last year because of the missed call that was a Weddington catch that stopped the drive. Weddington wanted them at home so here is their chance.

Reactions: New3ra
I keep my emotions out of it . The simple fact grimsley got behind 3x times & 3x times they showed why they are #1 . Each phase got better throughout that game last night for grimsley they made the adjustments . Weddington defense will have to be stout and hope one of the WR's for grimsley dont breakout or go off ! Grimsley secondary will look to bait weddington into throwing to a WR thats not open . Shut down Keenan Jackson. Get to the QB game over . You cant run on Grimsley up the middle . Get weddington QB on the run & turn him over .... Weddington Defense isnt on Hough level on no day. If the line gets to the QB its going to be a long night for weddington . Dont do well against really good teams . Grimsley will be physical upfront with them & wear them down . Who can out score them in a shootout is my question .

• Haha
Reactions: onioncfb
Grimsley in a rout! We love Greensboro reppin!
Weddington cant handle the potent smoke. The toughest team they have faced all year.

Grimsley in a rout! We love Greensboro reppin!
Weddington cant handle the potent smoke. The toughest team they have faced all year.
Lol...now you're sounding the way Charlotte boys used to sound. The way some of you guys talk, you'd think Grimsley was all world. In these playoffs, just like last year, until they figure out defense......Sun Vally 24 points, Hough 35 points, they'll always be living on the edge in the playoffs. If not careful, it come back to bite them. Unless they plan and hope on just outscoring everyone and not worry about defense.

I keep my emotions out of it . The simple fact grimsley got behind 3x times & 3x times they showed why they are #1 . Each phase got better throughout that game last night for grimsley they made the adjustments . Weddington defense will have to be stout and hope one of the WR's for grimsley dont breakout or go off ! Grimsley secondary will look to bait weddington into throwing to a WR thats not open . Shut down Keenan Jackson. Get to the QB game over . You cant run on Grimsley up the middle . Get weddington QB on the run & turn him over .... Weddington Defense isnt on Hough level on no day. If the line gets to the QB its going to be a long night for weddington . Dont do well against really good teams . Grimsley will be physical upfront with them & wear them down . Who can out score them in a shootout is my question .
I am not saying it’s going to be easy but I think Weddington will do enough to win the game. Grimsley is really good but not unbeatable. Grimsley easily could have lost the game last year. Grimsley has improved but so has Weddington.

Reactions: onioncfb
I am not saying it’s going to be easy but I think Weddington will do enough to win the game. Grimsley is really good but not unbeatable. Grimsley easily could have lost the game last year. Grimsley has improved but so has Weddington.
I have absolutely no dog in the fight and never have. But, these Grimsley guys are chatting like Grimsly is some world beaters or something. They're a good team but nothing like the teams Butler and Indy produced. No, I'm not from Charlotte either. Only moved here in 2009

Lol...now you're sounding the way Charlotte boys used to sound. The way some of you guys talk, you'd think Grimsley was all world. In these playoffs, just like last year, until they figure out defense......Sun Vally 24 points, Hough 35 points, they'll always be living on the edge in the playoffs. If not careful, it come back to bite them. Unless they plan and hope on just outscoring everyone and not worry about defense.
Thats the name of the game who scores the most wins simple ......Hough was a well coach team the 704 best . The power school with the tougher schedule . Coaching & halftime adjustments won that game , Hough defense was solid & sound last night ! But got baited into thinking 5'8 corners can cover 6'3 wideouts ...🤣 ! That match up was there all night long . Then grimsley flipped the played book & personnel hough didnt see it coming .

Ok this game is a coaching & match ups so how do weddington run & pass on a team like grimsley . They definitely no where near hough level. Grimsley will take away #11 , then the line will get pressure on the QB . They cant run up the middle ! Butler showed how to stop the new powerhouse in charlotte weddington. You cant win against them in a shootout thats fact & they will make you speed up .

Ok this game is a coaching & match ups so how do weddington run & pass on a team like grimsley . They definitely no where near hough level. Grimsley will take away #11 , then the line will get pressure on the QB . They cant run up the middle ! Butler showed how to stop the new powerhouse in charlotte weddington. You cant win against them in a shootout thats fact & they will make you speed up .
Do you seriously believe Hough is a better team than Weddington? I think Weddington is better and most people who are familiar with 704 ball would believe that as well.

Do you seriously believe Hough is a better team than Weddington? I think Weddington is better and most people who are familiar with 704 ball would believe that as well.
I would take Weddington coaching, especially in the playoffs or big games over Hough.

Reactions: Veejay4 and btango
Thats your opinion great Team Weddington .
Im team Grimsley I like the DT & DB's & Wr's for grimsley ! So may the best team win Friday ! Tall order but hey........

I like this match up and I don't know who is going to win this game but since Weddington is playing at home I am going to go with Weddington. Let me first start by saying Grimsley's coaching staff has done a wonderful job preparing these young men and they have a super team. As we all know super teams can be beat on this level. I am going with Weddington for a number of reasons.
1st reason: They have have played in tough games all year and have schemed their way to this game.
2nd reason: They don't lay many eggs when it comes to playing in big games.
I know they will be solid in all phases of the game which will also give them another advantage in my opinion.
In conclusion this game should be a good one. If it goes over 28 Grimsley will win. If Weddington can keep the game close I got them winning this one.
My prediction Weddington 24 Grimsley21 in a close one!

This is a rematch of last years regional final where Grimsley prevailed 28-27, except this time it is in Matthews. Can the Whirlies take their game on the road into a hostile environment? Do the Warriors have a big fan base that will turnout on a Thanksgiving Friday? I will bet over a 1000 Grimsley fans will show up, each holding a turkey leg!
The difference last year was 2 blocked kicks. 1 xp and 1 chip shot field goal. I thought Weddington out played Grimsley but 2 special teams break downs cost them the game. With all the hype around Grimsley I did not expect it to be that close. Hoping for another great game and maybe we can pull off the win at home

Reactions: RammanuelKant
I see Weddington is 2-2 in close games. They beat Dutch Fork and Chambers, but lost to Butler and Marvin Ridge. Number one seed that’s .500 in close games?

It won’t be close vs. Grimsley

Reactions: FootballThanos2023
Sometimes we look at statistics and never understand the reason why we play the game. This game is going to be a lot closer than what people think. I just believe that Weddington is playing with a stronger cause. Not saying that Grimsley won't win, but I am saying that the upset is very possible. Weddington does a really good job with their scheming up teams. High school games can be so unpredictable. I believe who can establish the run first will be the victor in this match up. I look for both teams to play some funky coverages to get into a field position battle. I look forward to seeing these two teams and it should be a great game.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
I see Weddington is 2-2 in close games. They beat Dutch Fork and Chambers, but lost to Butler and Marvin Ridge. Number one seed that’s .500 in close games?

It won’t be close vs. Grimsley
With Grimsley's lack of defense during the playoffs over the last two seasons, teams may or may not beat them, but it's always going to be close against Grimsley. In my own opinion, if Grimsley had a playoff defense and there weren't thoughts swirling around from multiple sources, regarding how they do things over there (aka; transfer portal), I could maybe respect them more as an elite team. Are they very good? Yes, absolutely. Are they elite like the Butler, Independence, Mallard Creek, Page team with Sommers and Wake Forest teams were? No. Will Weddington win? They could or they may not. But one thing's for sure. It'll definitely be close against Grimsley.

Last edited:
With Grimsley's lack of defense during the playoffs over the last two seasons, teams may or may not beat them, but it's always going to be close against Grimsley. In my own opinion, if Grimsley had a playoff defense and there weren't thoughts swirling around from multiple sources, regarding how they do things over there (aka; transfer portal), I could maybe respect them more as an elite team. Are they very good? Yes, absolutely. Are they elite like the Butler, Independence, Mallard Creek, Page team with Sommers and Wake Forest teams were? No. Will Weddington win? They could or they may not. But one thing's for sure. It'll definitely be close against Grimsley.
You claim not to ‘have a dog in this’, but every time Grimsley is mentioned it’s portal team, weak schedule and weak defense, yada, yada,yada…… Your neutrality is about as thin as your logic.

When you play good teams in the playoffs, guess what happens? Your higher quality opponents score more points and hold you to less. Yeah, Grimsley gave up 35, but who would have predicted Hough would give up 42?

Repping the 704 is tough these days, and I admire your loyalty. Guess what Butler, Indy, Catholic, Weddington, Hough(x2) have in common the last two years? Lost to the Whirlies in the playoffs. A lot of those were close, great games but their is no doubt that Grimsley is the reigning Mecklenburg County champion.

Two loss Weddington looking suss this year. Butler seems to be a different kettle of fish.

I disagree with you Honda, if this team wins out.. they are right there with the Indy's, Butler, Mallard Creek, Wake Forest & Page. It's D-1 Power 5 impact players all over this team. That also would be 3 straight Title Games.

I disagree with you Honda, if this team wins out.. they are right there with the Indy's, Butler, Mallard Creek, Wake Forest & Page. There are D-1 Power 5 impact players all over this team. That also would be 3 straight Title Games.
3 out of 4. We lost to Porter Ridge in Fall of ‘21.

I disagree with you Honda, if this team wins out.. they are right there with the Indy's, Butler, Mallard Creek, Wake Forest & Page. It's D-1 Power 5 impact players all over this team. That also would be 3 straight Title Games.
You're free to disagree. But what I said stands.

We? Now, I understand your non-objective fan comments. Thanks for saying that.
Never claimed I was. I have coached and taught at two schools for 30+ years: Reidsville and Grimsley. I know firsthand what it takes to win and the quality that it takes from athletes, coaches and community to make a winner. I am also aware of the negative backbiting, Coach slandering and program bashing that characterizes losers.

Never claimed I was. I have coached and taught at two schools for 30+ years: Reidsville and Grimsley. I know firsthand what it takes to win and the quality that it takes from athletes, coaches and community to make a winner. I am also aware of the negative backbiting, Coach slandering and program bashing that characterizes losers.
I feel you on that one.

You claim not to ‘have a dog in this’, but every time Grimsley is mentioned it’s portal team, weak schedule and weak defense, yada, yada,yada…… Your neutrality is about as thin as your logic.

When you play good teams in the playoffs, guess what happens? Your higher quality opponents score more points and hold you to less. Yeah, Grimsley gave up 35, but who would have predicted Hough would give up 42?

Repping the 704 is tough these days, and I admire your loyalty. Guess what Butler, Indy, Catholic, Weddington, Hough(x2) have in common the last two years? Lost to the Whirlies in the playoffs. A lot of those were close, great games but their is no doubt that Grimsley is the reigning Mecklenburg County champion.

Two loss Weddington looking suss this year. Butler seems to be a different kettle of fish.
That's what I said, wasn't it? A team may or may not beat Grimsley, but it'll always be a close game. Grimsley isn't dominant, except against a weaker schedule.

Now, I've been focusing on a lack of playoff defense for Grimsley. You claim they should be up there with the Indys, Butlers, Pages and Mallard Creeks or Wake Forest in their championship years. Of course, Grimsley hasn't won a title on the field over the last two years (this year we don't know yet), but let's compare them to those teams.

Wake Forest in their championship years - 2016 - allowed 8.6 ppg, 2017 - allowed 10.25 ppg and 2018 - allowed 7.75 ppg.

Mallard Creek in their championship years. 2015 they allowed 15.4 ppg, 2014 20.8 ppg, and 2018 7.75 ppg..

Page in their 2011 championship year with their run over Butler and Mallard Creek with their great quarterback (seriously), James Summers, 19.8 ppg.

Butler: So far in 2023, 9 ppg in the playoffs. 2009 - 14.4 ppg, 2010 - 13.2 ppg, 2012 - 13.8 ppg

Independence: 2000 - 15.6 ppg, 2001 - 15.8 ppg, 2002 - 8 ppg, 2003 - 13.6 ppg, 2004 - 12.2 ppg, 2005 - 12.2 ppg, 2006 - 20.4 ppg, and 2007 - 15.6 ppg. and that includes the game their winning streak was snapped by New Bern 28-17.

So for the last two years (seems to be what Grimsley fans want to focus on, but I'll take it one more year), in the playoffs, last year they gave up 33.4 ppg. In 2021 they gave up 24.5 ppg.. So far this year in the playoffs including a shutout of North Mecklenburg, they've allowed 19.6 ppg.. In their last two playoff games they've given up 29.5 ppg.

As for Weddington, leading up to the Grimsley game last year, including the playoffs, they were scoring 37.07 ppg and allowing 18 ppg.. They lost to Grimsley 28-27.

This year so far, including the playoffs they've scored 37.23 ppg and allowing 11.61 ppg.. For the playoffs they've scored 31 ppg and have allowed 8 ppg.

Call me a homer if you want, a couple of you seem to want to make that statement though I've stated over and over, I'm not from North Carolina and have no dog in the fight, but look at the numbers. They don't lie.

So, I'll restate two points I made earlier. Again look at the numbers. Grimsley isn't elite yet with those Indy, Mallard Creek, Butler, Page and Wake Forest teams.

Again, looking at Weddington, they may or may not beat Grimsley, but it's going to be a close game.

Last edited:
Nice try.

I really want that Butler/Grimsley west finals rematch.

Not so fast w the Meck County Champs…There is 1 school in Charlotte that would give Grimsley all they wanted and then some…
That's what I said, wasn't it? A team may or may not beat Grimsley, but it'll always be a close game. Grimsley isn't dominant, except against a weaker schedule.

Now, I've been focusing on a lack of playoff defense for Grimsley. You claim they should be up there with the Indys, Butlers, Pages and Mallard Creeks or Wake Forest in their championship years. Of course, Grimsley hasn't won a title on the field over the last two years (this year we don't know yet), but let's compare them to those teams.

Wake Forest in their championship years - 2016 - allowed 8.6 ppg, 2017 - allowed 10.25 ppg and 2018 - allowed 7.75 ppg.

Mallard Creek in their championship years. 2015 they allowed 15.4 ppg, 2014 20.8 ppg, and 2018 7.75 ppg..

Page in their 2011 championship year with their run over Butler and Mallard Creek with their great quarterback (seriously), James Summers, 19.8 ppg.

Butler: So far in 2023, 9 ppg in the playoffs. 2009 - 14.4 ppg, 2010 - 13.2 ppg, 2012 - 13.8 ppg

Independence: 2000 - 15.6 ppg, 2001 - 15.8 ppg, 2002 - 8 ppg, 2003 - 13.6 ppg, 2004 - 12.2 ppg, 2005 - 12.2 ppg, 2006 - 20.4 ppg, and 2007 - 15.6 ppg. and that includes the game their winning streak was snapped by New Bern 28-17.

So for the last two years (seems to be what Grimsley fans want to focus on, but I'll take it one more year), in the playoffs, last year they gave up 33.4 ppg. In 2021 they gave up 24.5 ppg.. So far this year in the playoffs including a shutout of North Mecklenburg, they've allowed 19.6 ppg.. In their last two playoff games they've given up 29.5 ppg.

As for Weddington, leading up to the Grimsley game last year, including the playoffs, they were scoring 37.07 ppg and allowing 18 ppg.. They lost to Grimsley 28-27.

This year so far, including the playoffs they've scored 37.23 ppg and allowing 11.61 ppg.. For the playoffs they've scored 31 ppg and have allowed 8 ppg.

Call me a homer if you want, a couple of you seem to want to make that statement though I've stated over and over, I'm not from North Carolina and have no dog in the fight, but look at the numbers. They don't lie.

So, I'll restate two points I made earlier. Again look at the numbers. Grimsley isn't elite yet with those Indy, Mallard Creek, Butler, Page and Wake Forest teams.

Again, looking at Weddington, they may or may not beat Grimsley, but it's going to be a close game.
Here some numbers for you:

Rolesville 21, Butler 19

One week later:

Grimsley 63, Rolesville 34

I believe that would indicate a 31 point differential.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT