ADVERTISEMENT

Hough at Grimsley: 3rd Round

New Era speaks my mind. Leave it alone, man. Also, you doxxed yourself in the district map.
I could care less about this. Most people in this community, especially the old heads know who I am. I used to go by my real name on carolinapreps and on greensborosports, when I worked for both of those websites. Really no need to hide behind a username.

• Haha
Reactions: New3ra
I would much prefer to discuss strategy, offense, defense and player abilities as well as opponent matchups. Indeed, that was how this thread began. Invariably, people want to come in and start bashing the character and behavior of other programs. That might be appropriate if the topic was the New Bern forfeiture.

It is surprising that someone who has a background in sports media exhibits such constant bitterness and hostility. Believe me, there are a lot of things that could be said about Alma Pinnix High that I think would be poor form to air in public. The student-athletes deserve better.

Also, the idea that student-athletes should be bound to a specific school sounds more like modern day feudalism than doing what is best kids -something I personally have tried to do for the last 30+ years in public education and coaching.

Reactions: New3ra and Ukcatz92
I would much prefer to discuss strategy, offense, defense and player abilities as well as opponent matchups. Indeed, that was how this thread began. Invariably, people want to come in and start bashing the character and behavior of other programs. That might be appropriate if the topic was the New Bern forfeiture.

It is surprising that someone who has a background in sports media exhibits such constant bitterness and hostility. Believe me, there are a lot of things that could be said about Alma Pinnix High that I think would be poor form to air in public. The student-athletes deserve better.

Also, the idea that student-athletes should be bound to a specific school sounds more like modern day feudalism than doing what is best kids -something I personally have tried to do for the last 30+ years in public education and coaching.
I mean i wouldnt exactly call it modern day feudalism when STUDENT-athletes are transferring for athletic purposes only!!!! It's really hard to say it's for their best interest. I know for a fact that some of these transfers weren't in the best interest for some of these STUDENT-athletes and has not always worked out ACADEMICALLY for them all but I will leave it alone too.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Back on topic, what are the keys to this game?
Hough is very efficient on offense and makes few mistakes/turnovers. Their defense is strong, but Hough will have to decide if they will single cover Grimsley’s two D1 outside receivers and put 7-8 in the box to stop RB Mitchell Summers who has had two 6 TD games this year against teams who gave safety help against the Whirlie passing attack(Rolesville and Sun Valley). Hough has good DBs and I think will play a lot of man and disguise coverages. Whirlie QB Brandon is 6’4” 210 soph who already has multiple D1 offers. He averages 220 yds/game with 70+% completion rate with 33 TDs and 3 interceptions. Brandon is also an effective runner when not throwing to two tall outside receivers Taylor(UNC commit) and Anderson(NCSU commit) who both have over 900 receiving yds with 13 and 12 TDs respectively. Hough has to pick their poison.

Whirlie defense is a veteran crew who are giving less than 10 pts while offense averages over 50. Hough has played a tougher schedule which tempers those numbers. Their only loss was to a two loss Byrnes which was eliminated in the SC playoffs last week. Neither team turns the ball over with much frequency but turnovers and in game coaching adjustments will loom large.

Hough will play field position and will rely on kicking game which features FG kicker who has hit from 50+ yards. A lot of these kids know each other from AAU, summer camps and recruiting. Grimsley DE is cousins with Hough LB. The chirp level has been high this week especially given OT playoff game loss Hough suffered at Jamieson last year.

It’s going to be a high level war, but I think the home field advantage and Grimsley’s prolific offense will prevail in the end. Hough will try to keep the game and scoring tight but may end up having to play uncomfortably from behind.

Grimsley 35-27.

Reactions: Ukcatz92 and ecu424
I wasnt talking about it changing what we see on the field. It for sure will and has changed that.
When I said "It doesn't change much," I was referring to peoples perception of what Grimsley brings in every off season, and it "silencing some of the portal transfer talk" or "potty mouths" as RamKant called it. 2 kids in the grand scheme of what probably 30+ kids transferring in the past 4 years is a drop in the bucket.

It's sad, imo, that for any team... be it Page, Dudley, Grimsley, Whoever.. to be successful, they need to have an influx of kids come in to bolster their roster. I will never understand the logic of, "Our program is so great, but I guess not great enough because we need outside help to make us better." This isnt the NFL where you can draft guys or sign free agents, and its not College ball where you can just recruit. This is High School ball, you should be made to go to school where your district tells you. I am a big open enrollment hater too, I think it does more harm to Winston-Salem than good.
You're right...in theory. This isn't the NFL and there isn't a transfer portal...in theory. But in reality and behind the scenes it happens. It happens all over the nation. I'll be honest here from a personal standpoint. I know teams can't help some of who they play from a conference schedule standpoint, but they can schedule out of conference teams. That's been one my dislikes about Grimsley. They benefit from a weak schedule. Their schedule strength was one of the weakest in 4A. Yet, they benefit with a number 4 seed (I'm frankly shocked it wasn't higher) and last year and this year they've benefited from playoff games at home. My question for tonight is, like last year, Grimsley's defense. Last week they gave up 24 points to a Sun Valley team that came into the game with three losses, to Weddington, Marvin Ridge and Porter Ridge; not the strongest resume.

Two things I've read from posters regarding Hough; they played a tougher schedule and don't have the offense to be in a shootout with Grimsley. Grimsley so far has averaged 50.9 ppg against the considerably weaker schedule. They're giving up 9.3 ppg...against that weaker schedule. Against their tougher schedule, Hough is giving up 8.5 ppg and their supposedly, not as good offense is averaging 36 ppg against th at tougher schedule.

Two things I'll add regarding this game. So far, I see the same pattern beginning this year in the playoffs as we saw last year. Grimsley looked impressive in the regular season, but are going down the road of having to outscore opponents in the playoffs.

I ran simulations for Hough, using Grimsley's schedule for the regular season. For comparison in the regular season, Grimsley scored 50.1 ppg. Hough showed scoring 40.7 ppg. Defensively Grimsley gave up 8.8 ppg and Hough in that simulation gave up 6.1 ppg.

Yes, it was a simulation I ran for Hough but it shows me in comparison with Grimsley, is that Hough can score. We can't just assume Hough wouldn't be in a shutout. But if they depend on a shootout, Hough loses. The Huskies defense needs to show up.

Defensively in the simulation, Hough held the same opponents to 2.7 ppg less than did Grimsley. Yes, it was a simulation, but I believe gives some idea of what to expect. Grimsley will be facing the toughest defense they've seen this year. More than likely Hough will see the best offense they've seen this year.

One common opponent they had was North Mecklenburg. Hough beat North in the regular season 51-7 and Grimsley took them in the playoffs 54-0.

Grimsley's defense is going to have to show up. If not, I think Hough leaves Greensboro with a win and moves on.

But, I think Grimsley has enough offense to overcome Hough's defense. Plus the home crowd will help.

I don't look for it to be a real high scoring affair, but I think Grimsley get's by in a very tough game and moves on.

Reactions: dw4444

It was volunteer work and I mostly reported on Page games on gsosports, much like the guy they have on there currently who report the Grimsley games, and mostly as a forum moderator (triad area correspondent) on carolinapreps. You say I'm bitter and hostile, but I'm really not. I have a great deal of respect for Grimsley and I have many friends who are Grimsley Alums. I've just been saying what most people (even Grimsley fans) are thinking. I think I've aired it out enough though. Good Luck tonight against Hough.

Reactions: RammanuelKant
It was volunteer work and I mostly reported on Page games on gsosports, much like the guy they have on there currently who report the Grimsley games, and mostly as a forum moderator (triad area correspondent) on carolinapreps. You say I'm bitter and hostile, but I'm really not. I have a great deal of respect for Grimsley and I have many friends who are Grimsley Alums. I've just been saying what most people (even Grimsley fans) are thinking. I think I've aired it out enough though. Good Luck tonight against Hough.
I would think someone who enjoys great high school football wouldn't miss a pairing like this. The legendary Marion Kriby was at all the big Grimsley games in the past. You could even sit on the visitor side. I would go to see Page or East Forsyth in the same situation. Just a question and no beef.

I would think someone who enjoys great high school football wouldn't miss a pairing like this. The legendary Marion Kriby was at all the big Grimsley games in the past. You could even sit on the visitor side. I would go to see Page or East Forsyth in the same situation. Just a question and no beef.
Ive been to numerous playoff games that don't include Page. If Grimsley hosts Butler later on I'll most likely attend. I just have other plans tonight.

Last edited:
Heavyweight battle so far 21-21 at halftime. Hough has a great offensive scheme and balance. So much motion and formation changes

Reactions: dw4444
I know there are a lot of East Forsyth people on this message board, but that school could not ever win a conference title in the metro 4A when it was play in your district ball in football and basketball. Kernersville, NC is not an athletic hotbed. Open enrollment is the main reason East Forsyth is good (here they come) I’m sure they had a few good seasons and parlayed that into enticing players to come because of the coaching staff. But East side Winston and other Forsyth kids coming in made that program what it is today. Keenan Allen (pro-bowler), DJ reader (top 5 paid NFL DL), Travis Shaw (5 Star), all of the 4 star kids currently playing for Grimsley all were in district kids. Yes they have gotten transfers, but some of the best talent has been in district. Greensboro has put out crazy talent per capita over the years

I know there are a lot of East Forsyth people on this message board, but that school could not ever win a conference title in the metro 4A when it was play in your district ball in football and basketball. Kernersville, NC is not an athletic hotbed. Open enrollment is the main reason East Forsyth is good (here they come) I’m sure they had a few good seasons and parlayed that into enticing players to come because of the coaching staff. But East side Winston and other Forsyth kids coming in made that program what it is today. Keenan Allen (pro-bowler), DJ reader (top 5 paid NFL DL), Travis Shaw (5 Star), all of the 4 star kids currently playing for Grimsley all were in district kids. Yes they have gotten transfers, but some of the best talent has been in district. Greensboro has put out crazy talent per capita over the years
Just as a side note….East won the metro 4A n 2008.

For me its not so much Hough losing twice to Grimsley but to give up 35 plus twice is what is tough for Hough to swallow. Hough has been one of the best defenses in the state the past few years so what Grimsley did is impressive.

Reactions: ecu424
Grimsley took advantage of the DB's ! They made them believers ! They Played with fire and it burnt them plain & simple .Hough had a great scheme until it was exposed ! Made a few switches up front & the line started getting pressure on the QB . #77 OL was the weak link for the line for hough . Then they started working on the middle of the OL that had there hands full . Good game great talent on display but Hough strength was there weakness.

Reactions: ecu424
Congratulations to Grimsley for the win. Came down to what I thought the game wound be. And that would be a close one.

Hats off to Hough. By far the toughest team Grimsley has faced so far this year. Two big 2nd half picks by Grimsley put Grimsley up by two scores. Huskies held Summers to 100 yards rushing thru 3 quarters with strong front 7 play. By the 4th quarter, the Whirlies were winning the battle of the trenches and Summers gained most of his 200+ total yards to go along with 4 TDs.

Whirlie offense is the best I have seen in NC. Ever. On to Weddington next week. Their DC is going to have some sleepless nights.

Here we go. Grimsley doing the same thing they did last year…having to outscore their opponents. Sun Valley 24 points against Grimsley. Hough 35 points. If not careful, it’s going to come back to bite them Like it did last year. But congrats to Grimsley for winning the transfer portal bowl. Two years in a row they beat Hough in Greensboro. Grimsley has provided the formula. Instead of playing a tougher schedule, play a weak schedule, beat the opponent’s brains out and get a top 4 seeding. Then you get most of your playoff games at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT