ADVERTISEMENT

Weddington vs Independence Western 4A Finals

Vik-Val 86

May 20, 2020
Independence prevailed over Butler and Weddington pulls out a big win over Grimsley. Any thoughts with this game.

I watched Weddington bludgeon Catholic two weeks ago and basically beat an undefeated Grimsley into submission last night. I found myself asking how in the world did they ever lose to Marvin Ridge the last game of the regular season? Both Independence and Weddington are peaking but Weddington's O and D lines are among the best I have seen at the high school level in North Carolina the past few years. Independence will give them a game but I suspect that it will be determined in the 2nd half and give Weddington a decided edge in this one.

Let's be serious, Weddington is a powerhouse, but i'm still pulling for Independence

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Good luck to New Bern alum and member of the 2007 NB State Championship team, Cameron Ray, who is on the Independence High coaching staff. Ironically, New Bern beat Indy to win the State Title back in 2007. Should be a good one Friday night at Weddington!

This will be a tough game. Independence avenged their worse loss . Most teams in the state would lose to Mallard Creek West Clt, & Butler. I think the last time they were at Weddington they won 75-0 . Don’t take them lightly!

Reactions: FBUncle
Not much talk about this game. I think Weddington will win, but Independence has surprised me twice now this playoff season so anything can happen.

I think once again if Indy wants to have a chance in this game they need to control the time of possession, and specifically put the ball #21 Jones hands. If Indy can make this a low scoring affair like last week I can see them winning. I don’t think coaching experience will be a big factor in this game considering Weddington has been here multiple times and Indy’s staff has been here previously with MC and Butler. If this game turns into a shootout I don’t see Indy keeping up. As of right now I have Weddington by 10, but I will not be surprised if Indy continues their hot streak into the state championship.

I am going to go out on the edge. I got Independence winning this game. Although they are the underdog they are playing with house money. Weddington if you win this the ship will be yours. However is you lose this game Cardinal Gibbons will take it all. My score for this game is Independence 28 Weddington 17.

I think Weddington should win this relatively easily if they are focused. Indy needs to score more than 10 points this week to keep up. Since the Butler game is a rivalry game that can explain the lack of points scored. Indy had played well but I think Weddington is the better team.

Indy earned the right to be here, but man a Butler Weddington rematch would’ve been electric.
Butler has to feel sick about this one because it would have been a better game. I am sure Weddington would’ve loved to get revenge. Indy just couldn’t win up front and they were dominated.

Reactions: Veek45 and onioncfb
I guess Weddington showed why they were the 1 seed after so many questioned it. I haven’t looked at much film of Hoggard this year to really know how that match up will shake out.

Was there tonight at Weddington and a dominating performance
it was by the home team, congratulations...

Hoggard will be able to throw the ball and will be a tall order for
the warriors to handle.......

The Indy 1st and goal from the 1 …… Trying to run up the middle out of the gun !? WTH ? Penalties etc gave them 3 sets of downs inside the 10 NO POINTS !! That was an unbelievable stand by the Weddinton D !
I told my boy that if Indy didn’t score there, that would change the game. Had 9 opportunities, after flags and automatic first downs, to score. They didn’t. They lost the game there.

When it started to rain during halftime, that was it for Indy and the elements played right into Weddington’s hands (stout against the run/stout running the ball).

Will be interesting to see how Weddington and Hoggard matchup. I have Hoggard by one score.

I had a feeling Weddington would win. Nothing against Indy but I just couldn’t see Weddington losing back to back Western Finals.

I told my boy that if Indy didn’t score there, that would change the game. Had 9 opportunities, after flags and automatic first downs, to score. They didn’t. They lost the game there.

When it started to rain during halftime, that was it for Indy and the elements played right into Weddington’s hands (stout against the run/stout running the ball).

Will be interesting to see how Weddington and Hoggard matchup. I have Hoggard by one score.
Hoggard by a score .. ok. Football is about match ups and execution. Looking at our playoff run . Chambers was an absolute match up nightmare for us in every phase of the game. That 2 nd round game could’ve gone either way. No doubt Hoggard is really good. Looking at a little bit of video they don’t look like Chambers. I think it’s more about Weddington. Show up ready to play and execute.. we win . Don’t and we lose Let’s go Big Dub !

Reactions: mpj2k8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT