ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton vs Wallace ECC Conference Championship game.

Goob, the old cliche you can throw the record book out rings true in this rivalry By history both teams have beaten the other with lesser teams. (I rennet one year several years ago WRH won the state championship, their only blemish on their record was a loss to Clinton) I think the Horses win and potentially win big but I wouldn’t bet any money on it. An old friend once told me “everyone’s got potential”
Wizard,that was The Showdown in the dog pound when your horses won convincingly. I was standing in the end zone and watch what I thought was the horses best o line communicating and dominating. I think later in playoff when we played your star rb had broken his ankle the week before and my dogs won 10 - 0. That was in 94

Reactions: UNC91
No wiz, not as of now. This game will be won in the trenches. We have our biggest Oline collectively I’ve ever seen us have. I didn’t say “the best” but the biggest for sure.

A special place a lot of great football history there; a lot of great players DarkHorses and others; 3 former NFL starting running backs)now named Robinson-Lewis Field at DarkHorse Stadium
We pride ourselves on trying to accommodate our visitors with the facilities. Primarily I don’t think you’ll have a bad view of the game and hopefully comfortable.
Best high school stadium I've been to

Wizard,that was The Showdown in the dog pound when your horses won convincingly. I was standing in the end zone and watch what I thought was the horses best o line communicating and dominating. I think later in playoff when we played your star rb had broken his ankle the week before and my dogs won 10 - 0. That was in 94
correct, the running back was Juan Williams, maybe the fastest running back of all time. I didnt say best bit fast. The week before the WHR/CHS playoff game. Clinton was playin a good Plymouth team and though it appeared we had the game under control it wasn't a runaway. Juan was in the game in the wakening minutes of the game and broke his ankle.He wasn't the only running back bt he was so explosive. I think he had over 1,800 yards that season. If we had Juan Williams and won that game we would have most likely gone to the state championship which would have begun a stark of 4 state championship appearances in a row, and the Horses went in 1995 and lost to Thonmasville. ; beat Bandys in 1996 and Shelby in 1997. Lost to Reidsville in a upset in 1998. Concievably igt could have been a 5 year run; came back and beat Cummings in 2001; lost to Cumming in 2002 and beat Lincolton in 2005. lost to Cummings in 2006; made another appearance in 2014 losing to Shelby. I might add the Horses. 1st state championship was 1990

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
correct, the running back was Juan Williams, maybe the fastest running back of all time. I didnt say best bit fast. The week before the WHR/CHS playoff game. Clinton was playin a good Plymouth team and though it appeared we had the game under control it wasn't a runaway. Juan was in the game in the wakening minutes of the game and broke his ankle.He wasn't the only running back bt he was so explosive. I think he had over 1,800 yards that season. If we had Juan Williams and won that game we would have most likely gone to the state championship which would have begun a stark of 4 state championship appearances in a row, and the Horses went in 1995 and lost to Thonmasville. ; beat Bandys in 1996 and Shelby in 1997. Lost to Reidsville in a upset in 1998. Concievably igt could have been a 5 year run; came back and beat Cummings in 2001; lost to Cumming in 2002 and beat Lincolton in 2005. lost to Cummings in 2006; made another appearance in 2014 losing to Shelby. I might add the Horses. 1st state championship was 1990
In a 10 year span. Swo and clinton represented the east, no one else. A lot of tradition at clinton

Best high school stadium I've been to

Thanks goob. I’ve been to a lot of stadiums. Some nicer than others. Hard to beat these few:

Northeastern (Press Box) That sucker is huge.
Dog Pound WRH (Atmosphere)
SWO (Atmosphere)
James Kenan (Proximity to field)
Central Cabarrus (Nicest field *Turf)
East Duplin (Nicest field Grass)

Dark Horse Stadium (Home)

I‘ll come back and add more as I think of them. But for now, these stand out in my memory. BTW, not saying anything negative about anyone’s stadium, just positive vibes about the good ones I’ve been too.

Ah yes, 1994. The first of the state titles for the Dogs. Still remember that night in Kenan against Lincolnton. Great win the week before against Western Guilford I think.

As far as stadiums, I will always favor Legion but Clinton is super for a 2A school. Previous poster is correct though about the field at ED. It is immaculate though looked a little rough this year due to the rain and it still appearing dormant. Considering they also have to play soccer on it, it does hold up really well.

I would never consider the field at SWO or the atmosphere. Does have a nice track and they play some loud music but the crowd doesnt really get involved (maybe they sit too far away) and the concessions leave a lot to be desired. Also have had a overbearing PA guy if I remember correctly. JK is OK and has improved recently. I actually favor all the Duplin County schools fields since none have a track around them and you are right on top of the action.

Thanks goob. I’ve been to a lot of stadiums. Some nicer than others. Hard to beat these few:

Northeastern (Press Box) That sucker is huge.
Dog Pound WRH (Atmosphere)
SWO (Atmosphere)
James Kenan (Proximity to field)
Central Cabarrus (Nicest field *Turf)
East Duplin (Nicest field Grass)

Dark Horse Stadium (Home)

I‘ll come back and add more as I think of them. But for now, these stand out in my memory. BTW, not saying anything negative about anyone’s stadium, just positive vibes about the good ones I’ve been too.
Please do, I like informative posts like this because I will look these up online. I love high school fb, I'm a junkie.

Maiden, I only named stadiums I’ve been too. Shelby, Pisgah, Richmond CO. Are all on my bucket lists of places to go.

Ah yes, 1994. The first of the state titles for the Dogs. Still remember that night in Kenan against Lincolnton. Great win the week before against Western Guilford I think.

As far as stadiums, I will always favor Legion but Clinton is super for a 2A school. Previous poster is correct though about the field at ED. It is immaculate though looked a little rough this year due to the rain and it still appearing dormant. Considering they also have to play soccer on it, it does hold up really well.

I would never consider the field at SWO or the atmosphere. Does have a nice track and they play some loud music but the crowd doesnt really get involved (maybe they sit too far away) and the concessions leave a lot to be desired. Also have had a overbearing PA guy if I remember correctly. JK is OK and has improved recently. I actually favor all the Duplin County schools fields since none have a track around them and you are right on top of the action.

Guess you have to go for big games only at SWO. Last time Clinton played there it was packed to the gills. Crazy crowd that night, I believe my horses prevailed but track or no track it was lit.

Possibly. Some have been early season games. Was there for playoff game a couple of years ago but hard to hear anything from across the quagmire disguised as a football field, but I digress.

Come on SWO faithful, let me have it.....lol.

Reactions: dogs79
Maiden, I only named stadiums I’ve been too. Shelby, Pisgah, Richmond CO. Are all on my bucket lists of places to go.
The mountain stadiums are a great experience. I’ve been to most of them through watching Maiden over my entire life! So many great memories at places like Starmount, East Surry, Ashe County(coldest place ever!), Hibriten, Brevard, Hendersonville, Black Mountain, Rosman, Polk County....and the list goes on and on.
I’ve been to a couple down your way. New Bern... where my boy lives.... and Tabor City....I guess that is South Columbus now....just had to see that one....since Maiden played them for the 2A State title in ‘78. LMAO.... I figure.... no one on here remembers that!
Hoping I can get to see more in the eastern side of the state when I get old and retire! That’s funny too!

Reactions: dogs79 and daagoob
The mountain stadiums are a great experience. I’ve been to most of them through watching Maiden over my entire life! So many great memories at places like Starmount, East Surry, Ashe County(coldest place ever!), Hibriten, Brevard, Hendersonville, Black Mountain, Rosman, Polk County....and the list goes on and on.
I’ve been to a couple down your way. New Bern... where my boy lives.... and Tabor City....I guess that is South Columbus now....just had to see that one....since Maiden played them for the 2A State title in ‘78. LMAO.... I figure.... no one on here remembers that!
Hoping I can get to see more in the eastern side of the state when I get old and retire! That’s funny too!
Maiden have you been to Franklin High School? My wife and I drive thru there on our way back from Cherokee. I stopped and got out to take pictures of it. Loved that look. We took 64 back to the OBX

T
Possibly. Some have been early season games. Was there for playoff game a couple of years ago but hard to hear anything from across the quagmire disguised as a football field, but I digress.

Come on SWO faithful, let me have it.....lol

For your credit, swo aka the corral used to be lit and jumping when they were winning titles. As of late lack of crowd isnt the word. The PA Tim foster long time principle at the school and I agree way to over barring.

Reactions: dogs79 and daagoob
Maiden have you been to Franklin High School? My wife and I drive thru there on our way back from Cherokee. I stopped and got out to take pictures of it. Loved that look. We took 64 back to the OBX
Yes...I have....My Grandfather was born and raised there. I love Franklin!...I was a kid then! Took my baby there last year...did some graveyard hunting. Had a ball! She is a senior at Maiden now. Yep! Had one late....anniversary in Vegas! What happens in Vegas! ...stays in Vegas....is a crock of bullS***!
Franklin brings a crowd... just like all the mountain schools. They packed the house at East Lincoln a few years back! I was there....Surratt was just too good!

Last edited:
Reactions: daagoob and dogs79
T

For your credit, swo aka the corral used to be lit and jumping when they were winning titles. As of late lack of crowd isnt the word. The PA Tim foster long time principle at the school and I agree way to over barring.
Play golf with Tim. Good fellow tho. Pretty good golfer to. He kicks my ass almost all the time

I’ve been to Thomasville. First time I saw concrete visitor bleachers. In the East if a school has concrete bleachers (Clinton) it’s home side only.

Been to Elkins (small but cool to walk down to your seats)
Albermarle (Best Sound System) at the time atleast idk what it’s like now.

largest stadium by far is High Point. (Simeon Stadium)

I can see Polk County’s stadium from my sisters mountain cabin, 2,000 feet above it. Beautiful mountain scene. Actually from her deck the stadium is almost underneath us. White Oak Mountain!

Goob I know you already know this but on the slight chance you didn’t here you go. Feast your eyes on all of these:

Reactions: daagoob
I’ve been to Thomasville. First time I saw concrete visitor bleachers. In the East if a school has concrete bleachers (Clinton) it’s home side only.

Been to Elkins (small but cool to walk down to your seats)
Albermarle (Best Sound System) at the time atleast idk what it’s like now.

largest stadium by far is High Point. (Simeon Stadium)
You should see Trentini Stadium at Wake Forest High School. Both sides are concrete, and you walk down into it. There is even a parking deck next to it. It used to be the stadium of Wake Forest University before it relocated to Winston-Salem.

You should see Trentini Stadium at Wake Forest High School. Both sides are concrete, and you walk down into it. There is even a parking deck next to it. It used to be the stadium of Wake Forest University before it relocated to Winston-Salem.

I looked it up. Awesome. However when I said concrete I meant NOT concrete base with aluminum slabs over it creating seats, I mean your butt is sitting on concrete, like Clintons home side.

Goob I know you already know this but on the slight chance you didn’t here you go. Feast your eyes on all of these:

Yes I was actually trying to find that. Thanks for sharing. I have been to Cherokee High School but it wasn't on a game day. Place is unbelievable

Why is it that schools like Clinton/Wrh/Swo are so reluctant to throw? This is something that Ive been wondering but have never asked. I thoroughly enjoyed the Midway/Wrh game last week and came away impressed with the Midway passing attack. That was one fun game to watch and luckily the Bulldogs were able to hold on and secure the win. I saw it posted earlier that Clinton can throw it if the run is shut down so I'm thinking that maybe we'll get to see that Friday against Wrh. I know the Dogs can shut the run down but Midway really exposed them with that air attack.

Smashmouth football and the old ECC conference. Trust me allot of fans from all the schools you mentioned have asked the same, but all of these schools have found allot of success with this formula to.

Sometimes instead of Midway exposing WRH, WRH exposes some western schools for not having the endurance of getting pounded on for four quarters.

Smashmouth football and the old ECC conference. Trust me allot of fans from all the schools you mentioned have asked the same, but all of these schools have found allot of success with this formula to.

Sometimes instead of Midway exposing WRH, WRH exposes some western schools for not having the endurance of getting pounded on for four quarters.
Well Javonte Williams pounded us for four quarters in route to a win in one helluva game about four years ago in Elizabeth City. That was one exciting game between two explosive offenses

Well Javonte Williams pounded us for four quarters in route to a win in one helluva game about four years ago in Elizabeth City. That was one exciting game between two explosive offenses

He then pounded Reidsville on his way to a scholarship offer and now look at him. Dude was/is a stud.

It also depends on your personell for the first time ever i believe we have a deeper WR group then we do RBs and a QB that can run and throw so going spread and being more balance fits this team. Now if you got 2 stud RBs and a big FB with a strong line i say go Wing T or fullhouse all day.

I looked it up. Awesome. However when I said concrete I meant NOT concrete base with aluminum slabs over it creating seats, I mean your butt is sitting on concrete, like Clintons home side.
Our stadium is beautiful, the biggest issue is the track. It definitely needs to be replaced. Much hasn’t been done to it since the late 90s or early 2000s.

Our stadium is beautiful, the biggest issue is the track. It definitely needs to be replaced. Much hasn’t been done to it since the late 90s or early 2000s.

Actually got word this past week that it will soon be next on agenda. Did you know it’s around 500k to replace a track, geez!

We are gonna be replacing our paneling highlighting our state championships and Eastern titles that is placed about pressbox. Sound system was replaced last season or year before I believe. Scoreboard was updated last year with new moniker or Robinson-Lewis field.

eventually I think more color with flags and highlights of the school colors will be placed on or around field.

Our AD is doing great things.

Last edited:
Actually got word this past week that it will soon be next on agenda. Did you know it’s around 500k to replace a track, geez!

We are gonna be replacing our paneling highlighting our state championships and Eastern titles that is placed about pressbox. Sound system was replaced last season or year before I believe. Scoreboard was updated last year with new moniker or Robinson-Lewis field.

eventually I think more color with flags and highlights of the school colors will be placed on or around field.

That is great news! I loved how East Duplin had the blue tarp on the sidelines, the home side had their name on it. I can believe the price of the track. I think Hobbton’s proposed track was $1 million. For that amount, they could buy a turf field with money to spare.

Northeastern stadium is nice but there is no home field advantage. The atmosphere is dismal at best. They need me behind the mic at the games😀. I will get that place jumping and really fire up the opposing fans😂

Yea I can still hear that damn sound system at Clinton. Touchdown Dark horse's!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT