ADVERTISEMENT

Behavior

I don't think you should be having physical altercations or cursing out people. But I don't see no problem with some trash talking

Reactions: therealsquid
I don't think you should be having physical altercations or cursing out people. But I don't see no problem with some trash talking
You and I seem to agree on a lot of things on here but this is definitely not one of them. Why even trash talk officials? They are simply providing a service that allows games to be played. Are there bad ones? Yes. Are there bad cops, doctors, waiters or any other job for that matter? Do people trash talk regular folks? For the most part no. Often if this happens charges are filed. At sporting events for some reason fans think if they paid to get in they can rag an official. Well I believe when the older guys age out, especially at the HS level and lower, sports may suffer or possibly disappear. Young folks don’t want the hassle of being trash talked at their part time job. I hope I’m wrong but…

You and I seem to agree on a lot of things on here but this is definitely not one of them. Why even trash talk officials? They are simply providing a service that allows games to be played. Are there bad ones? Yes. Are there bad cops, doctors, waiters or any other job for that matter? Do people trash talk regular folks? For the most part no. Often if this happens charges are filed. At sporting events for some reason fans think if they paid to get in they can rag an official. Well I believe when the older guys age out, especially at the HS level and lower, sports may suffer or possibly disappear. Young folks don’t want the hassle of being trash talked at their part time job. I hope I’m wrong but…
You are 100% correct, don’t get me wrong, poor pay has a lot to do with lack of officials, but number one reason was bad behavior by coaches, fans and players.

A young official comes and stays a year and says “ Why am I doing this?”

Last edited:
The trash talking is what leads to everything else. Slowly but surely. There is no need for it. You can disagree with calls. But then the constant cussing and fussing at the refs is uncalled for. At some games people get where they can berate refs as they are leaving. Some even do it in the parking lot. In this day and age with the way people are killing people for nothing you should be able to understand how officials have this fear as they start to leave a game. It has to stop for the sake of the games.

The trash talking is what leads to everything else. Slowly but surely. There is no need for it. You can disagree with calls. But then the constant cussing and fussing at the refs is uncalled for. At some games people get where they can berate refs as they are leaving. Some even do it in the parking lot. In this day and age with the way people are killing people for nothing you should be able to understand how officials have this fear as they start to leave a game. It has to stop for the sake of the games.
Friend of mine used to do HS baseball. In fact worked a SC awhile back. He was doing a game a few years ago and was followed to his car by a gentleman who didn’t like his strike zone. Well Sportsnut can tell you, once a baseball game is over officials are left to walk to vehicles by themselves. No AD, no SROs, just guys trying to get home. Anyway things got a little heated and definitely would not have ended well for the fan because my friend reached in to get a tire iron. Luckily his partner intervened and got fan out of there. That was what led to a good official to retire. Imagine a 25 year old being followed to his vehicle after a game. That is what we are living with now.

I have been verbally assaulted numerous times in parking lots. Usually after JV games where you come dressed and parked in general parking. Security at many fields when we are leaving is a teacher getting extra duty pay.

Friend of mine used to do HS baseball. In fact worked a SC awhile back. He was doing a game a few years ago and was followed to his car by a gentleman who didn’t like his strike zone. Well Sportsnut can tell you, once a baseball game is over officials are left to walk to vehicles by themselves. No AD, no SROs, just guys trying to get home. Anyway things got a little heated and definitely would not have ended well for the fan because my friend reached in to get a tire iron. Luckily his partner intervened and got fan out of there. That was what led to a good official to retire. Imagine a 25 year old being followed to his vehicle after a game. That is what we are living with now.
Happened many times.

The only solution to this is bans and arrest. Once an arrest is issued, the charges need to stick and when convicted the offender needs to be give community service within the school. Cleaning up after games would be great. Or working with the evening custodian cleaning crappers with a toothbrush.

Once people see that schools and the law are serious about getting this crap in check they'll calm down.

Sadly too many schools are afraid to stick to their guns and schools with Sheriff deputies working games can't get much done sometimes all because of politics and the optics of things.

I agree Otis being a basketball coach on the AAU circuit I get the same Jon respect as the refs u just have to cancel out voices and do ya job it’s easier said that done surely but I’ve had to let players go because of their parents attitude had fans thrown out of games even I have confronted people on the outside and asked what was the issue with me I’ve won 3 championships 2018-2021 I my team won but in march we finished 3 place out of 43 teams and I had to endure mouth from fans parents etc.. so I understand the disrespect refs get 100 percent!

As long as we allow criminals to get extremely little punishment for violent crimes you will not see much happen with these incidents. It is on the national and state governing bodies, the local school systems, and each school to step up hard on this.

I have seen wealthy, educated, white women show their azz so bad at their kid's sporting events it was mind boggling. Parents and other family members are normally the biggest issue.

Are there any statistic on the below and who causes them the most?

Age, Race and Reason for the altercation
Gave up officiating high school basketball and volleyball a few years ago. But, in my experience, the offenders were almost exclusively white and middle aged. Almost never heard anything from any minority fan. A few student sections who thought they were the Cameron Crazies. And women were as bad or worse than most men. Nothing like an enraged mama bear who thinks they know the rules, but doesn’t have a clue.

As long as we allow criminals to get extremely little punishment for violent crimes you will not see much happen with these incidents. It is on the national and state governing bodies, the local school systems, and each school to step up hard on this.

I have seen wealthy, educated, white women show their azz so bad at their kid's sporting events it was mind boggling. Parents and other family members are normally the biggest issue.
Soccer fans tend to be the worst. Mostly white, entitled type A personalities who are used to being in charge and getting their way.

No question refs are abused. Coaches and players should be thrown out of games if this happens. That would put a stop to most of the problem. Fans should be identified and same for them. Refs should get paid more but should also have better training. The eastern championship WRH/ Ed was the best called game I’ve ever attended. The refs , I was told later were not your usual team. Someone told me they were some type of college level team and it showed. Our biggest problem in Teachey is some fans want to fire the coaches. Our community needs to always respect refs and coaches. I’m not saying we should always agree with the refs and coaches but we should respect what they do. No one is perfect. We’ll make mistakes.

Gave up officiating high school basketball and volleyball a few years ago. But, in my experience, the offenders were almost exclusively white and middle aged. Almost never heard anything from any minority fan. A few student sections who thought they were the Cameron Crazies. And women were as bad or worse than most men. Nothing like an enraged mama bear who thinks they know the rules, but doesn’t have a clue.
Funny story OC, about 10 years ago was calling a girls Christmas tournament game. I was in the C position and we all 3 passed on a block/charge call. As we are transitioning to the other end I look across the floor and Mama is coming down and across the bleachers in a hurry. Just as she reached out to grab the trail official, remember he was in lead on the block/charge, the resource officer reached out and grabbed her. My partner never knew anything was happening. Needless to say, she left the gym.

Are there any statistic on the below and who causes them the most?

Age, Race and Reason for the altercation
I'm a 63-3/4 year old white man. Born and bred redneck. I can say this is not about race. As many games as I have been too at so many different places whites is just as bad as blacks and blacks are just as bad as whites when they think in their mind they been screwed over by a bad call. I find it embarrassing. But I can say one thing that does stand out and it's not about sports. I'm a lineman with a local utility cooperative. If we have to have power out for a while and I have to go knock on doors to let people know we have to kill the power for a while please let it be Black folk that I'm dealing with. You go knock on the door at white folk house and they start telling you how they are fixing to wash it dry clothes. They got to vacuum or dry their hair. They could give you excuses longer than the outage would take. I hate it. Go knock on the door of Black folk and they will say yes go ahead and stop what they doing and come sit out in the porch and watch you work and talk to you. I been doing this going on 38 years. I'm telling you this is fact. White people can be embarrassing.

Another story, I was at a foothills school, and at halftime had the arrow switched and went to locker room. Came back out for second half and person at table said we had missed all the excitement. He said a Dad came down and told him the arrow was pointing wrong direction, well he didn’t behave and was toted out in handcuffs and taken to jail. All over a possession arrow.

5 sports and I could write a book about this subject in each sport.

You gotta have some VERY thick skin to be an official nowadays. Do they make bad calls? Of course they do. But threatening them and verbally assaulting them over a game is just ridiculous. Refs have made me mad at games over the years, especially the regional finals this past season. But I would never go personally attack them because they have families to. We are all human, and we ALL make mistakes goodness knows I have.

My god they got a 10 percent raise....officials make in 3 weeks what most coaches make in a entire season....everyone always sides with the officials on how tough they have it....try talking to a coach who holds off season workouts then coaches a entire season with late hours etc...I agree you shouldn’t be able to touch officials etc....but for gosh sake some
Of them are just soft.

Reactions: therealsquid
My god they got a 10 percent raise....officials make in 3 weeks what most coaches make in a entire season....everyone always sides with the officials on how tough they have it....try talking to a coach who holds off season workouts then coaches a entire season with late hours etc...I agree you shouldn’t be able to touch officials etc....but for gosh sake some
Of them are just soft.
You and I also agree on many things but this one you have it a little wrong in my opinion. I have coached and officiated. Nobody in any of the posts has said a word about money being the reason people are leaving officiating. Assistant coaches don’t make jack in any HS sport. Football HC doesn’t get paid enough for time spent usually but they are used to having EVERYONE listen to what they have to say and not doubt them (until they lose and then whew)..So yeah it’s a lot like what a losing HC goes through but officials hear it every game at all times. And if a football guy does 4 games in those 4 weeks it’s still short of $500. Are officials “soft”? I can’t really say but if you don’t have these soft guys you aren’t going to have organized sports anymore

Last edited:
As far as training, Sportsnut touched on how much football guys go through every year and the cost. Well every sport makes officials go through similar. How much more can you ask of people on their part time job? Unless it’s a full time gig with that type of compensation it’s an impossibility while working 40 hours to eat…
Don’t think those who say “need more training” have any idea how much time goes into becoming an official each year. Nor the cost up front before you can get paid.

Of them are just soft.
just got this email today,

Reactions: thekidd12
Of them are just soft.
Just because coaches and teachers are underpaid doesn’t mean officials aren’t too.

Reactions: thekidd12
I have been told that the raise will have a negative impact on athletic budgets with basketball unless ticket prices go up or some help is given by counties or state. One domino falling will have an impact on the next.

Reactions: nwguilford007
Another story, I was at a foothills school, and at halftime had the arrow switched and went to locker room. Came back out for second half and person at table said we had missed all the excitement. He said a Dad came down and told him the arrow was pointing wrong direction, well he didn’t behave and was toted out in handcuffs and taken to jail. All over a possession arrow.

5 sports and I could write a book about this subject in each sport.
When I started, I was very fortunate to have an ACC official as my mentor. The first thing he told me was that some people paid their three bucks (I know….inflation) just to come scream at me. But just as society has become more unruly and less respectful, athletics mirrors society. Mental illness is all over. And yes, excessive uncontrolled anger is a form of mental illness. If I were a superintendent or principal, I’d insist on metal detectors. The fairly uncommon acts of violence at athletic events will become more common if we as a society don’t learn how to interact without resorting to it.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
As a Official myself

I would like see 3 things
1. Better Pay 8$ is better than nothing and I remember from a few yr ago one made 300$ for all 4 game which isn’t trouble but could be more bc not everyone get do all 4 game usually

2. More training - I would love have college level Officals and higher rates Officals to hold camps in May. In AZ they have really big Scrimmages and u get up 8 games so I would like see that here and they usually hold them at colleges

3. Better support from AD and other important figures at games bc some just don’t care. And I believe no matter the level weather it’s pop Warner football , AAU Basketball or whatever They all need have cops or security

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I hope it doesn’t happen because of how it would affect players. But ten percent is an insult and fans need a wake up call about behavior. I don’t have the answer but certainly understand the problem.
Friend of mine is working 11 basketball games in next 8 days. Just told me. He also told me, for like the umpteenth time, how short handed they are. Trying to recruit an old guy.
That’s sad…

Reactions: Otis4411
Also in AZ - At end of each game - The Referee of the game in basketball get to do a Report asking How was the sportsmanship of this team

You give it a rating n u could give a report on why or why not

In AZ Sportsmanship is extremely different here coach get fine for talking about Officals and Parents thrown out quickly and etc

Reactions: Otis4411
Friend of mine is working 11 basketball games in next 8 days. Just told me. He also told me, for like the umpteenth time, how short handed they are. Trying to recruit an old guy.
That’s sad…
I’m sure a big shortage in Rec leagues and Other leagues too

One of my friends who I worked with as a official he told me he does baseball too in mtn area n he said one year they got like 20 new guys signed up to umpire after that year only 3 made it

Most Officials in any sport usually tend last 3 years and after that they leave bc of the parents or abuse for coaches n fans or whatever the case

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT